• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Software Update (v4.30) (VITA TROPHIES ON PS3)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/10/21/ps3-system-software-update-v4-30/

Next Tuesday, October 23rd, we will be releasing a new system software update for PlayStation 3 (version 4.30). With this update we have made several changes to how Trophies are displayed on your PlayStation 3. The Trophy Collection will now reside under PlayStation Network on the XMB. Trophies that you have earned playing PlayStation Vita games are now displayed on your PlayStation 3. You will also be able to see your Trophy level and progress towards the next level while viewing your trophy collection.

IOjJV.png

By the beginning of November 2012, we will retire the services available through the Life with PlayStation application. In conjunction with its retirement, we will stop offering the Life with PlayStation application to new users with the 4.30 update. This includes the conclusion of our participation with Stanford University’s Folding@home, a distributed computing project aimed at understanding protein folding, misfolding and studying the causes of a variety of diseases such as Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s as well as various cancers.

We’d like to thank the more than 15 million users that have participated in the program since it started on PS3 in 2007. PS3 users have donated in total more than 100 million computation hours to the Folding@home project to date, and as a result, contributed greatly to Stanford University’s Alzheimer ’s disease research. Considering the contribution PS3 has made to the project, we decided to retire it as a result of discussions with Stanford University.
Vijay Pande, Folding@home research lead at Stanford University, had this to say about your contributions:

“The PS3 system was a game changer for Folding@home, as it opened the door for new methods and new processors, eventually also leading to the use of GPUs. We have had numerous successes in recent years. Specifically, in a paper just published in the Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, we report on tests of predictions from earlier Folding@home simulations, and how these predictions have led to a new strategy to fight Alzheimer’s disease. The next steps, now underway at Stanford, are to take this lead compound and help push it towards a viable drug. It’s too early to report on our preliminary results there, but I’m very excited that the directions set out in this paper do appear to be bearing fruit in terms of a viable drug (not just a drug candidate).”

BHK3

Banned
First Linux now folding @ home!??!?!?!?!?!?!

Like that they finally added a way to see your level and progress without being online.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Oh, wow, they're consolidating multiple versions under one tile? #gamechanger

Also good to see they're FINALLY doing it nearly a year after launch, but that's just that: a year after launch? This should've been an update DAY ONE in Japan. :|

Also sucks about Folding at Home closing, the news app wasn't too bad and neither was the (granted, major cities) weather application. But I never used it to actually "fold" for the service for more than maybe fifteen minutes.

Though I guess it marks the end of "Crazy Ken"'s era of being open and Linux-open-source-open. :/

This was exactly what I was going to ask....how is this still a lingering issue?

It's the same as this: How has this been an issue for as long as it has been: Because Sony is bad at getting things up for launch and getting dev support. :/

Duffyside

Banned
Rad update. I will have to play my Vita more tomorrow in order to avoid the shame of people seeing how few trophies I have on it.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Oh, wow, they're consolidating multiple versions under one tile? #gamechanger
I'm assuming it's only for games that share a single trophy list (like Retro City Rampage) but not ones with separate lists (like Sound Shapes).

Agent X

Also sucks about Folding at Home closing, the news app wasn't too bad and neither was the (granted, major cities) weather application. But I never used it to actually "fold" for the service for more than maybe fifteen minutes.

I used to use the Life with PlayStation application a lot on my original (60 GB) PS3. I often left my PS3 on overnight, just so that I could contribute to Folding@home. After my original PS3 succumbed to the "Yellow Light of Death" in early 2009, and I got it replaced with my current PS3 (same model), I never bothered to download Life with PlayStation again. I feared my tendency to leave it on overnight contributed to the early demise of my old system. Since the application's going to vanish shortly, though, I might give it one more try for old time's sake, even if I only get a few days of use out of it.

TheSeks

I'm assuming it's only for games that share a single trophy list (like Retro City Rampage) but not ones with separate lists (like Sound Shapes).

It begs the question what they're going to do with cross-buy titles. IIRC Marvel 3 has the same achievement list on both platforms. So if I get the PS3 version later and it's under one tile, what then? Double of the same achievement list? Or is it going to be like Motorstorm where they pop instantly and just count "double" in the level-up progress?

Fucking hilarious that Yoshida made it sound like this might not technically be possible on the PS3 just a few months ago, and said it was much more complicated than we might think. That sounded like a bullshit explanation the moment I heard it. Glad to see I wasn't crazy.

It's ridiculous it took them this long to implement a feature that should have been there the day the Vita launched.

The Trophy Collection will now reside under PlayStation Network on the XMB.

Why? It seemed to make perfect sense in the game section. Always two steps forward, and one step backward with Sony. :/

Just a few months ago, Vita trophies on PS3 were an impossibility because there just wasn't enough RAM. I guess Sony hired some magicians.

Oh and nice to see some quality marketing screenshots out of SCEA after the RE5 mess... Meanwhile, SCEE didn't release any pictures because they probably realised how dumb it'd make them look.

Still, good to see the functionality actually arrive. Hopefully there'll be a few other additions as well, like a good PS Store.

Agent X

Why? It seemed to make perfect sense in the game section. Always two steps forward, and one step backward with Sony. :/

That's my initial reaction, too. However, after thinking about it, the trophies are primarily a function that's associated with PSN. I believe they have very limited usability for offline users (if they're even usable at all). With that in mind, they might be better off residing in the PSN category.

randomkid

How about giving me the option to disable trophy notifications Sony. I can't begin to understand why this hasn't happened yet.

TheSeks

That's my initial reaction, too. However, after thinking about it, the trophies are primarily a function that's associated with PSN. I believe they have very limited usability for offline users (if they're even usable at all). With that in mind, they might be better off residing in the PSN category.

It was a lot better before the PSN store tile update that slapped it in photos/videos/games. Simply tap up (quit game)->up (achievement list) and look at your achievement list in two seconds.

Now you have to tap-tap-tap to do it. I've gotten used to it but that was annoying. Having to scroll over to PSN and dodge PSN store/PS Home/Account management to look at my achievement list is going to be damn annoying.

>>Is folding ending?<<

Just the PS3 app, not the program itself unless they've announced the entire program is ending and I haven't noticed.

androvsky

It was a lot better before the PSN store tile update that slapped it in photos/videos/games. Simply tap up (quit game)->up (achievement list) and look at your achievement list in two seconds.

Now you have to tap-tap-tap to do it. I've gotten used to it but that was annoying. Having to scroll over to PSN and dodge PSN store/PS Home/Account management to look at my achievement list is going to be damn annoying.

If they set the defaults up so it's just right three instead of up three, it shouldn't be too bad.

I'm such an optimist, lol

Acageron

Should have been like this day 1. Same goes for friend list integration. Still, better late than never and one step closer towards me getting a Vita.

TheSeks

If they set the defaults up so it's just right three instead of up three, it shouldn't be too bad.

I'm such an optimist, lol

ThisisSCEJdude.gif, they've been slapping apps and shit that you may never use in the XMB and making it worse than it should be.

If the XMB was totally user customizable and they didn't slap shit that didn't need to be slapped (does anyone REALLY access the PSN store through the games/video/music/pictures tab icons?) into areas, the XMB would still be perfect.

I prefer the XMB over the 360's shitty UI's that aren't blades and even the PSP2's bubbles. Simply tap three places over, go down a list (or folders, but that's a bit of a stumble on the XMB part) and boom, find what you want. But having to dodge fifty different things you don't want is stupid as hell. :/

TheSeks

Or when messages viewed on one will show up as viewed on the other >_>

Better yet, if a message is seen and it isn't for the PSP2 by god and country it shouldn't show up in the first place.

I understand wanting them to be connected but having to delete the same message TWICE is fucking stupid. If I've read it and deleted it, I don't want a copy of it waiting for the other hardware to log in to PSN and get it. :| Just delete the damn thing.

and let PSN picture uploads from the PSP2 happen to be seen on the PS3.

TheSeks

yup, too much work to fix that in Photoshop. Which I am pretty sure they used to make the new image. Look at the missing Friends on the XMB

Uh... but the friends tab is there, Kass? Are you sure your blacks/greys aren't crushing together?

Edit: Wait, clicked the wrong image to biggen. Holy shit, they removed it in the blog image, WTF.

Top Bottom