• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor:Ubisoft showed Unity,Victory,AC VII locations back in 2013, Japan after London?

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
So I just saw this on the ubi forums and thought it was interesting.

First of all, I’ll start by saying this is not some crazy conspiracy theory that I made up, but speculation based on true facts, as you’re about to see. If I am correct, Ubisoft gave us the key to figure out the next 3 AC locations back in 2013, when Black Flag was released. If this information has already been uncovered, please excuse me because I had no idea. For now, let me explain.

Last November, I bought Assassin's Creed Unity: The Complete Official Guide from Piggyback, as I do every year (I have all the guides and art books, they are awesome). I read the whole thing, enjoyed the artwork and all the info, and that was it. But a couple of days ago, as I was checking some facts again, a particular piece of artwork caught my attention like it didn’t before. For a moment I had a weird feeling. I looked a it again, this time in detail. I couldn’t believe my eyes, I thought it couldn’t be real. But no, It was there and was VERY real.

So I go back to Black Flag’s official guide from last year, and oh my God! There it was, near the end. And I check The Art of Assassin’s Creed IV: Flag Flag”, and again, it was there in full page, in all its glory, with none of us suspecting anything! Hell, you can even find it in the Abstergo Entertainment: Employee Handbook (that I also own). Right in front of us the whole time, but no one though anything of it (not even me). So what does it show? Keep reading.

The piece I’m talking about, drawn by Ubisoft artist Martin Deschambault, shows one possible Abstergo Entertainment lobby area for the present day part, different from the one seen in the final game. It’s gorgeous. There are some Abstergo employees walking around, a fountain and one information desk, but the really interesting part is the huge flat screen that is behind the desk. This screen shows several historical places and landmarks from all over the world (6, to be exact). Some are clear references from previous games, but others… refer to future locations. Let’s take a look.

The first one is very small and not very clear. It looks like the front of a church. I’d like to think it’s a reference to the very first Assassins Creed, but it’s hard to say:
KEbhBYt.jpg

No doubt in the second one. It shows Santa Maria del Fiore in Florence, a clear reference to Assassins Creed II and the Ezio saga:
n4o9TMD.jpg

The next one shows a tropical island, which can only refer to AC IV Black Flag:
XOi6Xxr.jpg

And now is when things get really interesting. You should recognize the fourth one, which is… that right, Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris! Way before Unity was leaked by Kotaku.

5zJU1l5.jpg

But wait there’s more. The next one shows… The Houses of Parliament and Big Ben in London!! Like in Victory, as you already know thanks to Kotaku’s leak.
mPKakhr.jpg

In the last one, the screen shows another location which has not been touch in any AC yet, and which (considering all the above) should be AC VII location. Where are we going? It’s Japan!! Which makes sense, considering people have been asking for it for a long time. The image clearly shows a Japanese temple surrounded by houses. I’m not sure, but I’d say it’s Sensoji Temple, Tokyo's oldest temple and one of its most significant.
uXTlkvx.jpg

Full picture
fPeTvDj.jpg

Just thought that this was interesting, so maybe we'll be going to Japan after all in 2016. Or maybe it was a reference to Chronicles:China, i'm not very familiar with important buildings in that part of the world.

EDIT:editing OP to include pics.

Sou Da

Excellent images.

EDIT: The mistake has been realized. I wonder if they see Japan as the only marketable eastern setting?

Jomjom

Banned
I just can't see them jumping back in time at this point, which they would need or probably should do if they do Japan.

I don't think they would need to. I mean Asakusa still looks like that so maybe they'll go modern day Japan. That would be awesome. It can be like Yakuza but not anywhere near as good.

Mivey

Seeing as every AssCreed game has played chronologically after the next, I'm assuming they would set it during the Meji-restauration. So there will be guns, and pretty much no Samurai. At least not as an effective fighting force.

The Tokugawa peroid would be far more interesting, but would play before the American revolution.

MattyG

Banned
I just can't see them jumping back in time at this point, which they would need or probably should do if they do Japan.
They could do 19th century Japan. I'm not too familiar with the specifics of the period, but couldn't they do something with the Westernization of Japan or something? Maybe something similar to The Last Samurai?

Jomjom

Banned
Seeing as every AssCreed game has played chronologically after the next, I'm assuming they would set it during the Meji-restauration. So there will be guns, and pretty much no Samurai. At least not as an effective fighting force.

The Tokugawa peroid would be far more interesting, but would play before the American revolution.

I hope I get to play as Kenshin.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Excellent images.

EDIT: The mistake has been realized. I wonder if they see Japan as the only marketable eastern setting?

It probably helps them that the mythos of the ninja is so familiar in the mainstream.

Might depend on what years they delve in to for AC5. The Bakumatsu -> Meiji period happened roughly during the middle of the Victorian era, so it's possible to continue moving time forward.

Wasn't there a secret at the end of AC1 where you got hints of Japan being the setting for a future game?

Yeah, the blood writing on the wall was in part Japanese.

DarkTom

There is a list of interesting periods and places from Desmond in an Abstergo memo in Black Flag.

There are french revolution, "shogun Japan" and victorian England. Is this bigger ? I'm on phone right now but it does not look like a secret. I remember also "summer of love" in california. That could be something a special playground for sure !

plenty of available Japanese history that takes place in the current AC timeline progression. Satsuma Rebellion springs to mind as an easy storyline to sensationalize into an Assassin vs Templar theme.

-Cwalat-

If they bring back a parallel story (modern setting) like all AC games before Unity and puzzles(glyphs ala AC 2 and brotherhood) i'll give it a consideration, if not, i'll happily reject any further attempts from Ubisoft to disappoint me with this franchise.

Eeeeeh. I should be hyped based on the past few years of hype as well as the fact that historical exploration never gets old but despite getting the plat on Rogue I completely passed on Unity. The formula finally got to me.

CrazyDude

Meji is a more interesting time period for me, I love the transition, mix of culture, and political upheaval. Besides that, they did go back in time for black flags.

Ape

Banned
Did the devs say that they were against Japan? I thought that I had read that somewhere before.

Eeeeeh. I should be hyped based on the past few years of hype as well as the fact that historical exploration never gets old but despite getting the plat on Rogue I completely passed on Unity. The formula finally got to me.

If Rogue was anything like Black Flag you played the better game.

Unity was quite disappointing.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
You may have passed on the one that had the biggest changes to the formula. Rogue was very much AC4.5.

Did the devs say that they were against Japan? I thought that I had read that somewhere before.
Alex Hutchinson, (AC3 and FC4) said that he feels that Japan would feel too familiar since it's a setting that's been done before in a lot of games. Two months later another employee said that Asia isn't exactly impossible.
http://kotaku.com/assassins-creed-asia-isnt-impossible-1671126240

Ok, I'll conceed that they can certainly do 19th century Japan. But, do you think my larger scenario is correct that they'll probably not go backwards in time and that each subsequent game will move closer to our time period?

CrazyDude

Ok, I'll conceed that they can certainly do 19th century Japan. But, do you think my larger scenario is correct that they'll probably not go backwards in time and that each subsequent game will move closer to our time period?

AC3 to Black Flags was a step back in time.

Mivey

Meji is a more interesting time period for me, I love the transition, mix of culture, and political upheaval. Besides that, they did go back in time for black flags.

If you mean the historical setting, then that trend ended when Black Flag was set before AC3

Oh, right. Well then, I find the "pure" feudal society far more outlandish, therefore, interesting. Especially when you consider that Japan was (pretty much) isolated from the rest of the world. For 200 years.

Also they would just rip-off The Last Samurai, if they went with the meji period, wouldn't they?

Top Bottom