• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Q3 Rapup 2014: Did You Get The Memo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiResDes

hSsYt.png

Good Albums at a Price

Sample Song
Consequence of Sound Review
What's Really Good – Sir Michael redefines what's cool, embracing his inner geek with humorous references to old videogames and anime, all while fully showcasing his ability to craft infectious anthems centered around some really memorable hooks

Sample Song
What's Really Good – It's a hard, gritty, bombastic record that holds few punches and isn't scared of getting a bit political within its hysteria

Sample Song
The Quietus Review
What's Really Good - Shabazz makes their most cerebral and inventive album yet, upping the abstract meter, and replacing the loud minimalistic boom-bap of their past with a futuristic lo-fi spoken word experiment.

Sample Song
Needledrop Review
What's Really Good – The Underachievers dial back the hype a bit to create a record that's a bit cloudier and the result is an album that's more atmospheric and filled with a smoked-out haze.

Sample Song
Hip-Hop DX Review
What's Really Good - Statik gathers a crew of rawkus rappers to law down grime against his beautiful jazzy boom-bap, which is like a fresh breath of old NY air

Sample Song
Needledrop Review
What's Really Good – With Apathy you know what you're getting, dude is a rapper's rapper, and his flow is as menacing and hungry as ever

Sample Song
My Review
What's Really Good – The best parts of the album feature Common getting back to being the highly intimate, personal and poignant street mediator of old.

Sample Song
Needledrop Review
What's Really Good – Busdriver's weird off-kilter dynamic rap style finally settles enough for me to realize that his lyrical content is both humorous and socially poignant and the production is mostly stellar when it stays within the confines of a traditional rap structure

Sample Song
What's Really Good - Father's nonchalant staccato rap style takes a bit getting used to, but it seems to be the perfect vehicle to let his synth-heavy meticulously layered lo-fi production shine, which is truly the star.

Sample Song
DEHH (text review)
What's Really Good – The soulful production of the Apollo Brown really helps elevate this mostly traditional rap record, and its overall positivity makes it a standout amidst newer boom-bap records

Near-Misses (Pseudo-Snubs)
  • Yung Lean - Unknown Memory
  • Milo - A Toothpaste Suburb
  • Cormega - Mega Philosophy
  • Joell Ortiz - House Slippers
  • Twista - Dark Horse

HiResDes

Got It For Cheap

Sample Song
What's Really Good – ComfortZone hits a lot of the same spots that Cilvia hit for me earlier this year, it's contemplative yet aggressive, relaxing yet never lackadaisical.

Sample Song
Pitchfork Review
What's Really Good – Mick truly submerses himself in the nihilistic state of his city and in the album's sparse,drowned out production.

Sample Song
#THEREDEFI Review
What's Really Good – Quest's combines his rapid paced rapping style and an impressive crooning ability to narrate an intimately scoped album detailing his current state of mind and life affairs.

Sample Song
What's Really Good – The soulful production and the adolescent perspectives of the tape elicit nostalgia and sincerity from the listener

Sample Song
What's Really Good – OG Maco's southern roar and Key's swagged out cool compliment each perfectly and the result is one of the year's hypest albums, very dense and concentrated trap with a snarling punkish attitude

Sample Song
What's Really Good – Azizi greatly improves on his scholarly swag rap by upping his overall song making ability, showcasing songs with better flow and catchier hooks.

Sample Song
Pitchfork Review
What's Really Good – Wara takes the age old tale of growing up in the hood and keeps it from ever sounding stale with honesty and sincerity, oh and production with some really inventive piano splices and snares.

Sample Song
What's Really Good – The ice-cold skinny white pimp shows a bit more emotion and aggression on beats that sound like an amalgam of dark Memphis rap and future garage

Sample Song
What's Really Good – Curtis embraces his persona as rap's Cheech Chong and rides the beats with steeze and pure charisma.

Sample Song
What's Really Good – Man Man Savage's primitive brand of trap might be the punkest thing to happen to the subgenre since Flockaveli, if you like OG Maco you'll like this

Sample Song
What's Really Good – This is that Freestyle-Fellowship, open-mic-night-at-the-jazz-cafe type of rap, showcasing an incredible craftsmanship for putting rhyming words together

Sample Song
What's Really Good – Real G's move in silence, the idiom seems truer than ever, there's some so mafioso about Hus and Rozewood's plotting methodical approach to gangsta rap

Sample Song
What's Really Good – Gleesh lets his southern drawl saunter over the sparse banging production of Zaytoven and TrapMoneyBenny and the like

Sample Song
Pitchfork Review
What's Really Good – Louie's obsession with Pacino's Scarface carries over into a somewhat melodramatic, yet highly entertaining drill tape

Sample Song
Pitchfork Review
What's Really Good – Thug and Rich Homie prove to be a potent combo, exuding uncanny chemistry, and utilizing their unparalled pop sensibilities to break up the monotony of the trap formula

Courage

Lese Majesty, Cellar Door and Statik Selektah in the top 5.

My man.

Gonna check out that Rob Sonic record.

HiResDes

Lese Majesty, Cellar Door and Statik Selektah in the top 5.

My man.

Gonna check out that Rob Sonic record.
If you liked RtJ check it out, if not I might skip it. The retail list was a bit weak this quarter, which I rarely admit. My free album list is what's taking so long, very competitive this time around

overcast

This was the weakest quarter of the year for me, need to see if I missed anything. Michael Rocks has been my album of the school semester so far.

I still need to listen to Lese Majesty.

RP912

Banned
Been meaning to bump that cory one day....I heard Joel Ortiz album is actually pretty good despite the JC Penny catalog cover.

Cheddahz

Banned
The number one album of this quarter is highly deserved (hell, it might be one of the best albums of the year)

Weak quarter altogether though

harrytang

damn HiRes! i live for these quarterly posts. please keep this shit up.

time to make mix-tapes for my friends and act like it found all this....

PlayDat

You didn't fuck with the new Dilated Peoples?

Looking forward to the free list. Budget's been tight lately.

HiResDes

I don't like Dilated Peoples, even their best work never really hit me, their cadence just sounds off to me in a Talib Kweli sort of way.

Anyway, mixtape list finished.

Courage

I really urge everyone to listen to ComfortZone, especially if Cilvia Demo was your thing. The production on that tape is insane.

Btw, the link for it doesn't work.

Father tape is interesting. Dude is definitely very nonchalant but still manages to have some incredibly memorable choruses. It's overall aight though, maybe Statik isn't that high if I had to compare it to the rest of the choices below it. I'll definitely pay more attention to Father though

Btw Dweeb has the fucking most amazing description lmfao

PlayDat

Bought Banco yesterday. Bout to give it the gym test this week.

The half of The Water I've heard so far was good. ComfortZone, Searching Sylvan, and Danco James are all also already on my hard drive.

Bones has no charisma. I don't know how ya'll like him so much.

HiResDes

Bought Banco yesterday. Bout to give it the gym test this week.

The half of The Water I've heard so far was good. ComfortZone, Searching Sylvan, and Danco James are all also already on my hard drive.

I like his icy aesthetic and how he's willing to change from sounding completely impenetrable to completely vulnerable in a second, especially when he decides to engage in some light singing on the tracks. There's just something so wintery about his voice, his beat selection, and his lyrics. I wouldn't say Curren$y has much more charisma honestly.

he is honestly terrible. His flow isn't natural at all and his lyrics are just grade A trash. I honestly try to listen to him from a beat perceptive, but the way he says things with the combination of bad lyrics pulls me out of it so fast. PLUG LIKE A MOTHERFUCKING USB *facepalm*. I do feel like his ratio of good and bad songs are getting better with each project somehow though.

another classic thread from HRD. I need to get off my ass and listen to Ugly Heroes. Big fan of Apollo Brown but the rappers on the project kinda made me put this on the backburner.

PlayDat

I like his icy aesthetic and how he's willing to change from sounding completely impenetrable to completely vulnerable in a second, especially when he decides to engage in some light singing on the tracks. There's just something so wintery about his voice, his beat selection, and his lyrics. I wouldn't say Curren$y has much more charisma honestly.

lol. I'm glad you brought up Curren$y. I don't like him either for the same reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom