• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Q4 Rapup 2014: My Small VVorld

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiResDes

hSsYt.png

Got It For Cheap

Sample Song
What's Really Good – Small VVorld has the production and the features to be enjoyed even on a most immediate and shallow tip, but what makes this album a standout is when Rome shows how capable he is of peeling back those inner layers of the onion without ruining the flow of the album

Sample Song
What's Really Good – It's such a sensual, infectious sounding debut full-length that blends rap, singing, and everything in a beautiful soulful gumbo.

Sample Song
What's Really Good – The production alone would stand alone as an impeccable jazz-hop entry, but mixed with Pyramid's cosmic chill vibes the album is catapulted amongst the year's best downtempo entries

Sample Song
What's Really Good – This is some eccentric high energy boom-bap that sets a breakneck pace from the beginning and manages to maintain the hype throughout

Sample Song
What's Really Good – Mike Will's production on Ransom is pretty the epitome in which every modern trap aspires. It will push your sound system to its brink, features an all-star cast of rappers, and is pretty varied sounding for such a similarly tempo'd tape.

Sample Song
Slant Review
What's Really Good – Future makes an album for the streets devoid of much poppy crooning and more focused on rehashing the noxious hype of breakout singles Karate Chop and Shit with mostly great success.

Sample Song
What's Really Good – After seemingly focusing solely on radio ready anthems on his last effort, Luca Brasi 2 is a return to the form of sorts, with Gates sounding a bit less like a guy that's already made it and more in tune with his roots, but don't get me wrong it's still poppy and melodic.

Sample Song
What's Really Good – When French Montana teams up with Harry Fraud it's like watching Kelly Slater on his surfboard riding a seemingly insurmountable wave. French's flow is so effortless and on point and his lyrics surprisingly kind of deep that this project is a wave you'll keep navigating the ocean to find.

Sample Song
What's Really Good – French's incendiary flow and volatile delivery contrasted with the moments of self doubt and struggle make this such a well rounded, hungry sounding debut.

Sample Song
What's Really Good – Rotten is the most well-rounded diversified tape Bones has ever put, though his icy demeanor still permeates the tape to its frozen core.

Sample Song
What's Really Good – It's easy to miss how versatile of a rapper Andre is due to the production just being so mindblowing; however, he definitely grows on as you after repeat listens as you realize how clever some of his wordplay is and that he doesn't seem to have many weaknesses.

Sample Song
What's Really Good – A well rounded slapper with myriad of different types of songs that all manage to sound reminiscent of old southern classics.

Sample Song
Needledrop Review
What's Really Good – This tape is very uneven to me, the highs are insanely hype, and the lows somehow manage to be quite boring in comparison. However, when OG Maco really dedicates himself he has pretty much no parallel short of maybe Waka on a really good day.

Sample Song
What's Really Good – It seems rare to find someone that can rap this well still making unabashed southern trap. Spodee's sound takes me back to the days when B.G., Juvenile, and The Hot Boyz were running the game.

Sample Song
What's Really Good – While I loved his last project, it just felt a bit too long and repetitive. This new album is about the size of a long EP and Ramirez delivers a more concentrated effort blending his love of old memphis occult rap and modern lighter swag rap fair.

Near Misses/Subs

• Luke Christopher - Tmrw, Tmrw Pt 2
  • Azad Right - For The Hopeful
  • Hus Kingpin & Rozewood - Pop Up Shop EP
  • Cashy - Priceless
  • Night Lovell - Concept Vague

HiResDes

Good Albums at a Price

Alternate Free Download (Doesn't Have The Bonus Track)
Sample Song
Pitchfork Review
What's Really Good – Run the Jewels 2 couldn't have dropped at a better time amidst the militant spark lit by Ferguson, Mike and El-P bear arms with the spirit of Nat Turner and Robin Hood, making a verbal assault against "fuccboi's", crooked cops, and unjust political regimes.

Sample Song
Washington City Review
What's Really Good – A lot of rap albums use soul samples, but very few can truly claim to be soul music, this shit feels as hearty as a plate from a family reunion cookout.

Sample Song
The Pitchfork Review
What's Really Good - Sounding like a spiritual successor and evolution of the sound first introduced on his previous record No Poison No Paradise, Black Milk takes the boom-bap mantra and modernizes it, infusing within it a more cerebral sound coupled with dark synths and hazy production.

Sample Song
Boston Globe Review
What's Really Good – Vibes is an immensely fun record that utitlizes these somewhat kitsch pop elements in such a charming and romantic way. It's a throwback to a different era and is more concerned with conveying a particularly smooth and blissful vibe than any sort of larger social commentary or bullshit internal drama.

Sample Song
What's Really Good – This is that emotional trap music, where you can hear the hear the streets wearing on the rapper's psyche and his voice full of remorse and existential woe

Sample Song
Pitchfork Review
What's Really Good – Grating personality aside, Broke With Expensive Taste that is undeniably catchy and fun, harking back to the elements of 80s world pop, it strikes the perfect balance between those twee sensibilities and the grit of hip-hop.

Sample Song
What's Really Good - Ransom's intimate storytelling reminds me nostalgic for the days when it was more normal for rappers to approach tracks with the same sincerity as a soul singer yearning for love.

Sample Song
XXL Review
What's Really Good – Premier propels Royce to sound more focused and rejuvenated than he's sounding since the 90s, and the topnotch features help make the otherwise straightforward boom-bap project sound more well-rounded.

Sample Song
What's Really Good - Martin's production is the perfect chill yet dynamic vehicle for the wide assortment of featured rappers to tackle, for the most part reigning them all in under the same unwinding road.

Sample Song
What's Really Good – Its sparse, dark, tense, and then sometimes relieving. David Ashley's swag is next level. He's a chameleon of sorts, showing an ability to change his style according to what best fits each track.

Near Misses/Snubs

• Rozewood - Beautiful Type
  • Apollo Brown & Rass Kass - Blasphemy
  • Ghostface Killah - 36 Seasons
  • Hail Mary Mallon - Beastiary
  • SD - Truly Blessed

Courage

What I can vouch for from the list:

OG Maco EP: Carries over the same energy and eccentricness from U Guessed It but with a faster, unhinged flow. One of my favorites of the year, and some of the craziest adlibs of the year for sure.

Favorites:

U Guessed It (2 Chainz remix)
Want More

Small World: Production completely carries this tape, and Fortune has enough confidence and personality to make it a unique tape of its sub genre. I personally dug the spoken word, offbeat, downtempo delivery on songs.

Favorites:

Flashback
Suit Case

Monster: Pretty much what Des said; he returns to form with the bangers.

Favorites:

Fuck Up Some Commas
2pac

Ransom: Mike Will, the best mainstream producer of 2014, makes a compilation of bangers with a variety of rappers and styles coalescing into a crazy project.

Favorites:

Screen Door
Choppin Blades

Courage

I'm gonna check out His Majesty Obscured and The Love Project since those sample songs interested me. Gonna revisit X:XX too.

Cheddahz

Banned
Totally agree with Small VVorld and The Love Project being that high on your list (and great list as always, glad to see Perfect Dark on there as well)

Detox

Dope list. thanks for the round-up. Just a heads up the Chaz French and French Montana sample links are incorrect.

PlayDat

Awesome as always. Feels pretty good to already own most of the free list.

What do you think of Serengeti? Specifically Kenny Dennis III. Seems like the kind of sound that would turn off a lot of people.

I've barely listened myself, but the production might be enough to carry it if the rapping doesn't do it for you.

That Spodee sample song is awesome, just grabbed the tape. Also just so you know the song link for Rotten links to a Night Lovell track (his tape was great too imo haha).

IrishNinja

eatin so good here between Gates, Starlito & others
gotta comb back over this & out AOTY thread for gems i slept on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom