• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare Founder Teases SNES "Project Dream" Footage/Info

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Project Dream was an unreleased video game that was originally going to be released for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES) and later the Nintendo 64 by Rare Ltd.. The game was instead redeveloped as Banjo-Kazooie, which was released for the Nintendo 64 three years later.

The game's supposed plot was to involve around a young boy named Edison, who had caused a long term trouble with pirates led by their leader, Captain Blackeye.

https://twitter.com/intimsworld

3jlJzkp.png

Rom dump, please. :)

Tamanator

I'd be very interested to finally find out how far Rare got with Project Dream on the SNES before transferring development to the 64.

A couple other labels I noticed in the pic

First one, not sure what type of cart this is, shame I can't make out the game title.
9xsgIpm.jpg

It looks like it reads:
<unreadable game title>
ROM1 V1.9
13-2-90 (ie, February 13, 1990)

Second Pic:
n35R6Q3.jpg

This is on a N64 dev cart. Whats interesting is the size listed.
"256+256" which seems to hint that this could be a 512mb cart. The only game that big that Rare released was CBFD. Dinosaur planet was planed to be on a 512mb cart as well. Could this be it? Or a Conker Beta?
A red lebel below the cart size seems to read NJCC or perhaps NJ66. Its blurry, hard to read, but it doesn't ring any bells either way.

Celine

"256+256" which seems to hint that this could be a 512mb cart. The only game that big that Rare released was CBFD. Dinosaur planet was planed to be on a 512mb cart as well. Could this be it? Or a Conker Beta?
A red lebel below the cart size seems to read NJCC or perhaps NJ66. Its blurry, hard to read, but it doesn't ring any bells either way.
Maybe something for the 64DD?

Chittagong

Gold Member
Didn't project Dream end up being Diddy Kong Racing? I remember the massive disappointment after the ambitious code name

EDIT: or Banjo-Kazooie

To my knowledge Rare never worked on the 64DD - nor am I aware of anyone owning dev tools for it in general. It definitely seems like a late era N64 game.

I'm hoping its Dinosaur Planet. Especially since Playtonic's Gavin Price said that Tim might have a version.

Someone needs to send Tim some ROM dumping equipment.

Imagine if we got:
Dream (SNES)
Dream (N64)
Dinosaur Planet
Twelve Tales Conker 64

If I could play those games, Witcher 3 would be going right back on my self for a few weeks.

ika

First one, not sure what type of cart this is, shame I can't make out the game title.
9xsgIpm.jpg

It looks like it reads:
<unreadable game title>
ROM1 V1.9

Second Pic:
n35R6Q3.jpg

I think it says 256M + 256K, as the amount of memory for the game and the amount for save files. But I'm not sure if that 256M just means 32MB (in the cartridge era Nintendo almost always used M, MB and Megas for Megabit, not Megabyte).

I looked back at some of Tim's older tweets, sounds like he has a N64 Dream cart too.

aQiiK31.jpg

Is it sad I am more excited about these betas, then I am for E3?

Wonder if he'll actually post videos. I would be a pretty dick move teasing these and then going silent considering how many diehards follow proto/beta development.

Zee-Row

Banned
I remember Quartermann talking about Dream in his rumors section in EGM. It was supposed to be this big thing.

I think it says 256M + 256K, as the amount of memory for the game and the amount for save files. But I'm not sure if that 256M just means 32MB (in the cartridge era Nintendo almost always used M, MB and Megas for Megabit, not Megabyte).

Your right did some research, turns out its a 256 megabit cart, or 32mb. 256k is for the sram save.
Here's what one looks like:

CBFD and Dinsouar Planet were on 512 megabit carts, or 64mb.

Maybe that's why they are dusting them out. Rare having hard financial times?

The Stamper brothers left Rare in 2007, sounds like Tim just found some old stuff and is sharing it.

But who knows, maybe Rare asked him to dust it off to create hype for the Xbox One revival of Dream.(I'll laugh if that's what Rare's project turns out to be.)

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Microsoft should release old Rare prototypes (especially including Twelve Tales) using their N64 emulator they probably used for Banjo, I'd pay a good amount of money for that! I so hope that some day I'll get to play TTC64 :/. I'd also like to see footage of the Dream prototype.

terrisus

I'm hoping its Dinosaur Planet. Especially since Playtonic's Gavin Price said that Tim might have a version.

Someone needs to send Tim some ROM dumping equipment.

Imagine if we got:
Dream (SNES)
Dream (N64)
Dinosaur Planet
Twelve Tales Conker 64

If I could play those games, Witcher 3 would be going right back on my self for a few weeks.

Man, I would pay all the money that I could for a version of Twelve Tales: Conker 64 as originally planned.

atbigelow

Microsoft should release old Rare prototypes (especially including Twelve Tales) using their N64 emulator they probably used for Banjo, I'd pay a good amount of money for that! I so hope that some day I'll get to play TTC64 :/. I'd also like to see footage of the Dream prototype.

Pretty sure BK and BT are not being emulated on the 360.

9xsgIpm.jpg

It looks like it reads:
<unreadable game title>
ROM1 V1.9

Second Pic:
n35R6Q3.jpg

Pretty sure it says NTSC.

A friend of mine was working at Rare on this project. From memory, Nintendo cancelled the Super Nintendo version because - believe it or not - they were concerned that it looked too good and would make N64 look weak. I can't remember the exact details. Also, the game evolved into Jet Force Gemini, not Banjo.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
A friend of mine was working at Rare on this project. From memory, Nintendo cancelled the Super Nintendo version because - believe it or not - they were concerned that it looked too good and would make N64 look weak. I can't remember the exact details. Also, the game evolved into Jet Force Gemini, not Banjo.

That's strange, because all of Rare was saying Dream evolved to Banjo. There are even references to this in Banjo-Tooie. But maybe some ideas ended up in JFG? Afterall, it was an RPG, not a platformer, so a lot of ideas probably did not fit in there...

Top Bottom