• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your favorite game from this year so far

Manu

DOOM, hands down. But I really liked Dark Souls 3 (sometimes I feel I'm the only one who did though) and FFXV. Even Uncharted 4.

It was a good year for games.

I have a lot of favourites from this year actually. It was an amazing year for gaming. But I'll give it to both Digimon World Cyber Sleuth and Ace Attorney Spirit of Justice. Fuck. I couldn't put those games down.

mxgt

Banned
INSIDE_Xbox_One_cover_art.png

In a year with many other releases I was excited for, INSIDE won pretty easily in the end.

Quite possibly the most polished game I have ever played.

Easily FF XV. Even as a longtime fan I went in with very low expectations and I hated the demos. Exceeded all expectations and ended up being some of the most fun I've had with a game in ages. Eagerly awaiting dlc.

SSReborn

My favourite game this year to play has been sfv though I wouldn't call it a game of the year or anything close.

An older game that was my favourite this year was Not a Hero, I really enjoyed that one.

Favorite game: INSIDE.
Most played game: Madden 17

INSIDE is more memorable to me as a truly unique game this year. The game made a sound impression on me. Madden is my most played, but I won't remember it much in the long run.

DOOM hands down. I'm currently playing it now and my god it's and absolute blast. From the fast frantic gameplay, with one of the best soundtracks that's perfectly in-sync with the chaotic gameplay, to the OG exploration and collectibles, upgrade system and weapons -- just everything about it -- even the damn codex -- is god tier.

Maybe a bit weird to say but:

Nioh demo

Absolutely my #1 game this year. After that I suppose Dark Souls 3 although the fatigue, disappointment with its world design and Nioh made me put it down and I still haven't completed it.

Ostinatto

1- The Last Guardian (played it all the way up with my puppy lover sister, unique and amazing experience)
2- The Witness (played it all the way up with my dad, fun and amazing experience)
3- Inside (played it all the way up with my niece, unique and amazing experience)

orborborb

The Witness, The Last Guardian, Inside, and Obduction all deserve it, but honestly it's Doom's multiplayer. It's tragic for me that people are playing Overwatch instead.

Dishonored 2, Titanfall 2, Abzu, and FFXV were big disappointments, Star Fox Zero and Metroid Prime Federation Force were pleasant surprises.

NahaNago

Honestly right now it would be azbu but world of final fantasy comes pretty close but doesn't win simply because i haven't beaten the game yet. My only problem with abzu was i guess the ending i kinda felt rushed at the end to finish it when like 90% of the game was relaxing.

ErbilT

The more I think about it, the more I realize that this actually has been a great year for games.

I don't know, to be completely honest. It's probably a three way tie between Doom, Titanfall 2 and Rez Infinite

Wozman23

I've only become more indie this year, especially since a lot of AAA has been slow to arrive or just disappointed.

Perfect 10s:

THUMPER - A challenging, dreadful, rhythmic, progressive, audiovisual spectacle
Unravel - Beautiful environments, character design, and animations wrapped in a package full of heart
Soft Body - Minimalist weirdness at its finest
DOOM - Proof that more shooters should favor the old school approach

Other Standouts:

Hyper Light Drifter - I normally don't like pixel art, but the look and feel were just so good
Inside - The ending was insane, but the gameplay up to there felt kind of redundant
Furi - Another challenging game, with an excellent art style
Headlander - One of the funniest games of the year
Hue - A simple 2D puzzle platformer, a simple aesthetic, a simple concept, better than the sum of its parts
Aragami - Another 'normally-I-don't-like" game, but it made stealth fun
Recore - Proof that we should have more B-tier games
The Witness - I don't mind using my brain if it's in such a vibrant world
Ratchet & Clank - Only thing keeping it from perfect is that it wasn't a completely new game
No Man's Sky - I guess I'm just crazy, but I found it very meditative

I'm playing through Gears 4 now (which won't make the list) and haven't opened the Last Guardian yet.

It's between Uncharted 4 and Titanfall 2. It was Uncharted 4 until Titanfall 2 was released but now, I really don't know. Titanfall 2 was going to get my GOTY vote here on Gaf, but looking back, I might have to give the edge to Uncharted 4. So hard. I'll have to think about it more.

Mafia 3 could've been in the running if it were a more polished experience. I like that game, but I can't help but think what could've been.

Gren

SFV hands down. At 368 hours of playtime, it tops my Steam list handily, & I doubt it'll ever be matched.

Game's not perfect; beyond the well-trodden list of issues, I don't really like how normals as anti-airs generally fare here. But it's overall a pretty fluid SF (IV felt stiff in comparison).

poodaddy

Clustertruck with an honorable mention to Overcooked for the local multiplayer. SFV is an amazing fighting game but the gated off content through microtransactions and huge focus on DOA like sexuality of every female character really soured it for me. That being said, it gave me the best Guile since SF2, and for that I'm grateful.
Shame that Alex is such ass though

pablito

Blood and Wine

If that doesn't count then FFXV. Even with its story issues I'm having fun with the gameplay. Dark Souls 3 was good too. Started DOOM but haven't gotten far into it. And I returned both SO5 and NMS. I think that's all I've played from this year.

Top Bottom