• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 is the worst RE I've played and killed my favorite series ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toxa

Resident_Evil_logo.png

Make no mistake guys RE4 is one of my favorite games and my GOTY 2005 with MGS3, GT4, Tekken 5, ... I own the game on GC and PS2 .It's an outstanding action game and it set new standards !!!
Actualy I love and hate this game

but I'm sick when I see people saying RE4 is the best resident evil but it's not a RE at all !!!
It use the same name, the same characters but nothing more ...
it's became something entirely different, the feeling, the atmosphere .. pretty much everything is gone and finaly it lead to the destruction of the franchise :(

I hoped the series would return ot it's roots but RE5 was an awful and uninspiring copy paste and RE6 that I didn't bother to buy was a tasteless no brainer action game.

I understand and I agree the series needed to be renewed (tank control and need to find a key to open was so old gen) but not as dramatically but in fact the destruction of the series began long before that when RE4 was a PS2 games that became Devil May Cry is was so different that fortunately they decide to create a new franchise but sadly not with the real RE4.

I was much more interested by RE 3.5 but I don't know why they decide to make an action game ;(

I do not consider RE4 and its sequels as canon and I've no interest in the series anymore
capcom talk about remake but since mikami and Kamiya are gone I don't want remake :(

I'm so sad because Resident evil rebirth was so good, RE0 not bad at all and outbreak was very faithful but 2 years later it became an action game .
In my opinion the series end in the timeline of history with code veronica with chris saying "it's time to finish umbrella" or somthing like that.

RE2 and rebirth will remains my favoritve episode and I think I will replay RE2 again and again for many years to come.

there's so much I would like to tell but I think that's enough for now

Resident Evil RIP (1996-2003)

I agree 100% I just don't understand why people loved resident evil 4 so much. It's a great game but I prefer it had another name on the cover. Idk.. call me old fashioned.

Hoping for a good resident evil 2 remake. We shall see..

goldenpp72

I feel like no one is actually going to read this thread and just respond to the topic title..

Anyways, the genre RE catered to wasn't one that seemed like it would last forever imo, the fact Capcom bailed out into a new direction was wise in my mind, but I feel for those who love the older style. RE4 still managed to have some haunting moments, it's a shame the series has lost it's mood entirely.

Resident Evil 6 is more involved than any of the previous games so it's hardly brainless. If you meant on an intellectual level Resident Evil was always the crude, mentally deficient sibling of Silent Hill anyway :p Terrible puzzles, laughable story, not very scary, and so on. Although I will say the gamecube remake was incredible and so much better than any of the other games in the series to that point that it's absurd. Zero was alright as well.

Richardbro

Neo Member
REmake is the best Resident Evil game, but Resident Evil 4 is a close second. I can literally name 100 reasons why but the daily RE4 thread should show enough.

kazebyaka

Banned
I think it's being action series is much better than an adventure game with wacky puzzles, convoluted story, horrible controls and combat. But, to each their own.

GavinGT

Banned
I never understood the praise for RE4. My memory of the game is mostly confined to running to the furthest corner of an area and trying to headshot a dozen zombies before they reach me.

MechaX

After the mediocre 0 and the horrible puzzle design of CV, 4 was needed.

I entirely agree with this. Hell, if RE built more off of Code Veronica rather than the approach it took with RE4, the series really would have died there.

Xeno_V

Some people like change, some don't, what's so hard to understand? Tanks controls are dead, I am wondering how people who never tried them back in the day would feel if they played a new game that controlled like that.

RE4 still has tank controls, as did RE5. Resident Evil 6 was the one to finally get rid of it. It just feels quite a bit different in RE4/5 compared to the games before them due to the way shooting and combat is handled.

killatopak

Gold Member
I never understood the praise for RE4. My memory of the game is mostly confined to running to the furthest corner of an area and trying to headshot a dozen zombies before they reach me.

Just like any other zombie game or to be exact any other shooting game?

Beepos

RE3 is the best - the Nemesis made it - you had an awesome aftergame mode and it catered to the casuals with normal mode and the hardcore with hard.

RE2 was definitely more filling, but come on hearing that 'STARS' from the beast as you enter a room. Scary.

In saying that RE4 was amazing too - it just didn't have that scare factor for me and felt almost more like DMC (you are a badass killing undead stuff).

Otsukare

Neo Member
Play 6, then 4 won't seem so bad.

Haha good one.

I agree OP, although RE4 is an amazing game, it's not strictly speaking a resident evil game for me and almost certainly did lead to the downfall of the series, however had it not been made, would the series of survived in the original format? remake was amazing though, not sure how well it sold.

RE4 was a fantastic game. Maybe it shouldn't have been called Resident Evil since it's so different and really has no connection to the main series. But a bad game, in general? Get outta here.

Resident Evil 5 is when the mainline games died in my mind. Stopped being scary in any sense, even less scary than RE4 was (and it was already less scary than its predecessors after the first half hour maybe). Forced coop gameplay, blerg. The bio-wank mass-from-nowhere enemies hit ludicrous new heights and the story somehow still tries to take itself seriously. I don't know what it is, but the game itself managed to be less fun too.

RE6 is pure vomit. Series needs to get a reboot at this stage, total back to zero, and it either needs to just embrace the silliness and go full camp OR drop the rampant stupidity and hyper convoluted plots. Just zombies, a mansion, and uncovering a mystery. No action movie bullshit. No Wesker pulling new viruses out of his anus and teleporting around the battlefield. No near-infinite ammo, machineguns and score attack modes. Ugh.

I... can't say I agree with the premise of this thread.

Yes, RE4 is absolutely different in tone than the previous iterations of the franchise. It is also one of the best games I've ever played, whereas the other Resident Evils were not. No matter how you want to pigeon hole the franchise, if you find RE4 to be a better game objectively, overall then it is by default the best Resident Evil game, even if it doesn't fit within the mold of the earlier entries. Still, over a decade later, it seems reasonable to accept that it is what it is... a canonical Resident Evil game, even if it does buck some of its roots. Not to mention the fact that the game wouldn't have been nearly as successful without such a recognized brand attached to it.

That being said, I absolutely wish there were more games being made in the vein of earlier RE titles. RE4 was such a bolt of inspiration, aided by being an immaculate experience for the period the industry was in at the time, but old fashioned horror games are now unfortunately far and few between.

GavinGT

Banned
Just like any other zombie game or to be exact any other shooting game?

Sure, that's par for the course with all RE games. But in previous entries I wasn't forced to take out entire villages of enemies in each area. And I didn't have to laboriously line up each shot. This process got seriously tedious in RE4.

And I would totally disagree that all shooters boil down to doing this. Certainly the good ones don't.

LiK

tank controls sucked. i'm glad that aspect of the series is gone. it's not Mikami's fault that Capcom decided to make the games less scary as a result.

Toxa

RE4 was a fantastic game. Maybe it shouldn't have been called Resident Evil since it's so different and really has no connection to the main series. But a bad game, in general? Get outta here.

Resident Evil 5 is when the mainline games died in my mind. Stopped being scary in any sense, even less scary than RE4 was (and it was already less scary than its predecessors after the first half hour maybe). Forced coop gameplay, blerg. The bio-wank mass-from-nowhere enemies hit ludicrous new heights and the story somehow still tries to take itself seriously. I don't know what it is, but the game itself managed to be less fun too.

RE6 is pure vomit. Series needs to get a reboot at this stage, total back to zero, and it either needs to just embrace the silliness and go full camp OR drop the rampant stupidity and hyper convoluted plots. Just zombies, a mansion, and uncovering a mystery. No action movie bullshit. No Wesker pulling new viruses out of his anus and teleporting around the battlefield. No near-infinite ammo, machineguns and score attack modes. Ugh.

I didn't say it was a bad game just the worst episode :D
it killed the series by forgetting its roots and gave birth to 2 terrible sequels

Beepos

Curious though, did people hate Code Veronica that much that Capcom needed to make RE4 the way it was?

I mean RE4 was amazing but why not under a different title?

I loved CV, and it was one of the harder traditional RE titles. I didn't play Zero or the Remake (which is praised) so were the sales just not there for them to continue in games refined in this fashion?

gogogow

Totally agree with this.

well RE6 wasn't a succes so no :D

well now I can't wait to play RE 1.5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgvI8lZY0-U

there's a lot a great idea scrapped in this game and I also interested by another project
Resident Evil distant Memories :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfS6snXEa0g
It doesn't help that Mikami left Capcom and RE5 tries to copy everything from RE4, but made it worse. It's Capcom's best selling game in their history.

RE6 was a totally different game than RE4. They tried to turn it into COD meets Uncharted. Played a couple of hours and it's very hard for me to go back, it's just a bad game. It still became Capcom's third best selling game of all time.

eXistor

I agree, I like RE4 (though it is absolutely not a classic in any way, never really got the insane love for it), but I very much have a grudge against it for clearly moving RE into action territory. It's thanks to RE4 that 5 and 6 turned out the way they did. RE is the one series that needs a severe reboot. Just ditch everything (especially the story and characters) and start anew as a single-player survival-horror game.

tank controls sucked. i'm glad that aspect of the series is gone. it's not Mikami's fault that Capcom decided to make the games less scary as a result.

Was "make it much more action focused" and "make it less scary" really a directive that Capcom passed down to Mikami for 4?

I don't think OP thinks RE4 is a bad game. :p

But yeah, I agree that the plot is the worst part of the series (even worse than the shitty gameplay in 6). It got so convoluted, I really want to know what the writer's room looked like for RE4 5 and 6.

I'd much rather Capcom continue to make incredible action games like Resident Evil 6 than try to emulate something they were never great at in the first place. Silent Hill 1-4 are so much better at instilling fear than any of the non GC Resident Evils but then again that franchise is dead as well for the most part, although Downpour had some great elements. Resident REmake was really a fluke in terms of how well it turned out. It really followed through on what everyone always talked about in the previous games but I'd never found them to very good at. Incredibly scary, unbelievable atmosphere/presentation, less cheese, and so on although the puzzles were still pretty crap. Would have been interesting to see the series evolve in a similar fashion but 0 wasn't to the same standard(although I still enjoyed it) and Resident Evil 4's mechanics and gameplay were so many leagues above anything else in the series to that point, although as mentioned it feels completely different in tone. Believe some have said that the very campy voice acting/writing in the game is actually not how the Japanese release is played out.

And I still don't understand why people think Resident Evil 4 got rid of tank controls because you're still a tank, you just have free aim. RE6 finally brought freeform movement to the series.

kasane

Im more interested in the RE 4 where leon was having hallucinations and shit. I would do anything to play that.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
RE4 is a complete diversion from everything that Resident Evil was... it was stated repeatedly when it came out. It was based on the original puzzle-adventure series with rare action, and ignored all of it to craft the first third person shooter. It also ignored the Romero-inspired continuity.

But now it's 10 years later and there's a bigger distinction: good REs vs. bad REs.

RE4 gets put in with the classic-style REs because 5 was divisive and 6 was bad.

MilkBeard

Resident Evil 4 is a good game. There's no doubt, though, that it is drastically different from the Resident Evil games before it. And yes, in some ways, it led us to 5 and 6, which are more and more streamlined, mainstream, and lose even more of the 'horror' feel.

I do miss the old feel of Resident Evil; the great pre-rendered backgrounds, the angles, the shambling around and not knowing if a zombie or a dog is going to pop out of no where. It's been proven that more people like the more action oriented style. I'll always appreciate when another game comes along that recreates that same feeling. ZombiU is a game that reminds me of that old Resident Evil feel.

There's also Evil Within, which looks to be all about the horror aspect. Can't want to see what that's all about.

I actually feel the same about Resident Evil. I played RE4 on gamecube and ps2 and it is no doubt one of the best games ever made, but it never had such a tense atmosphere like the first two games.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Not only is RE 4 the best RE game it's the best game of the entire 3rd person action shooter genre.

It's got Leon, Wesker references, Ada Wong, grotesque monsters, some dudes who act similar but not quite like zombies. It's missing puzzles, sure, and the action is a bit toned up but I laugh at people who say that RE isn't scary or only has gotcha closet type scares. It doesn't. It has plenty of creepy ass places with creepy ass music and shit tons of gotcha scares on top of it.

If you're a stickler to tradition then sure, go play REmake and 2. Even going by tradtional standards I still find it a better RE game than 3 or CV.

I can see the idea that it killed your favorite series though as it being so good allowed 5 and 6 to be such poor imitations.

But yeah, I agree that the plot is the worst part of the series (even worse than the shitty gameplay in 6). It got so convoluted, I really want to know what the writer's room looked like for RE4 5 and 6.

At least RE4 was mostly self contained in its wackyness, when RE5 tried to integrate the continuity from the rest of the series the game almost imploded from how stupid it all was. Reminds me of Metal Gear, Kingdom Hearts etc. Probably a bunch of other games too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom