• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Widespread Availability of PS4 in Japan - Bad times for Scalpers

Almost every console launch is plagued by scalpers, people or small businesses that purchase units in order to resell them at a higher price when a shortage happens. Quite a few tried that trick in Japan too, but it didn’t exactly go as they hoped.

Sony Computer Entertainment Japan and Asia President Hiroshi Kawano promised that the company would take any possible measure to ensure a good volume of units at launch, and the console was made available for pre-order at least five times last year.

Even if the PS4 sold out every time pre-orders were opened, that definitely dampened the need for over-the-counter availability on launch day, especially combined with the ever-growing habit of Japanese customers to order what they want online.

The result of those factors is that, at the moment, there’s no shortage of Sony’s new console in Japan. A quick search reveals that almost every single major electronics chain has units in stock.

A byproduct of this kind of solid supply is that scalpers got shafted. When customers can just walk to a store to buy a product, there’s no way to sell it online with a mark-up.

Checking the popular online auction site Yahoo Auctions we can see something not many would have expected: in order to recoup the loss, Japanese scalpers have actually been forced to put their carefully hoarded PS4 consoles for sale at a price lower than the official one, which is 41,979 yen (including taxes), or 46,179 yen with the camera.

More at the article:
http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/02...widespread-availability-of-sonys-new-console/

That would explain why there is still a shortage in the west. Looks like Sony put out many units in Japan

Zeppeli

Banned
Looks like Sony put out many units in Japan

Not just that, there's next to no games aimed specifically at the Japanese audience yet. There's no reason to buy one there unless you really want to play inFamous... Sales will pick up once a solid JRPG drops.

Beant

While I am sad its not sold out because i want buckets of Japanese support, at least scalpers don't get shit.

Isnt this what happened at the US launch too... from what I remember the scalpers/resellers w/e you want to call them did not make out as hot as they were planning.

Oh boy if this is true. I would like at least one home console to do well in Japan this gen. I want AAA Japanese games, dammit.

Zeppeli

Banned
While I am sad its not sold out because i want buckets of Japanese support, at least scalpers don't get shit.

If there was a single reason to be happy about the Wii U's abysmal start it was the scalpers who bought like 20 consoles to scalp off. Fuck scalpers.

Omega

Banned
Wish we had that here in America.

The only thing better than seeing scalpers have to sell for a loss is..well nothing. It's glorious.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Isnt this what happened at the US launch too... from what I remember the scalpers/resellers w/e you want to call them did not make out as hot as they were planning.

I don't think so. You still can't just walk into a store and buy one.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Good for these amateurs. Totally their own damned fault for not having paid attention to the domestic and international market.

Seriously the fact that most of the world has had the PS4 launched and the Japanese lineup was pretty piss poor from launch dont see what made them think they would be able to flip these for a quick buck.

Not to mention its not like a fine wine either as the PS4 has no features like the OG PS3s with the proper BC that would make the first launch systems worth more. So they really did shoot themselves in the foot good.

Go_Ly_Dow

seems like we won't be getting one of these

iEaAWAy9FO2Dd.gif

izMQqxEqCiiAu.gif

Yeah, expected. Japan is really not a major market for home console anymore. Good move to launch there last, the psychological impact and PR disaster of such news before US and EU launch would be terrible

Abriael

Banned
This doesn't mean that the console isn't selling well.

1: it was made available for preorder in big quantities five times
2: The Japanese are shopping online more and more lately.

The Japanese simply preordrered online en masse to avoid being left out, and now demand is obviously lower because almost everyone that wanted one preordered it.

Oh boy if this is true. I would like at least one home console to do well in Japan this gen. I want AAA Japanese games, dammit.

In a strange twist of fate, the Bone sells 5m consoles in Japan over the next 6 years. It is lauded for it's media capabilities and The Cloud, Mistwalker make 4 games for it.

StuBurns

Banned
I'm sure they'd rather have the console flying off the shelves in Japan lol.
Why? They don't care about the Wii U, XBO is never going to sell anything there, they're going to hold the Japanese console market regardless. In the US, every person waiting for a PS4 is a possible lost customer, stock is far more valuable to Sony there.

The Japanese simply preordrered online en masse to avoid being left out, and now demand is obviously lower because almost everyone that wanted one preordered it.

/thread

No wait better fearmonger instead.

StoopKid

bring those consoles to america and europe.

also this.

Chobel

I'm pretty sad that PS4 appears not selling that well, good luck having JRPGs this generation
:(

"So there's a chance?".jpg

prag16

Banned
If there was a single reason to be happy about the Wii U's abysmal start it was the scalpers who bought like 20 consoles to scalp off. Fuck scalpers.
Most of those Wii U scalpers were allegedly able to return their unopened consoles for full refunds. That's not the case for these PS4 scalpers in Japan?

But in general, yeah, fuck douche bag scalpers.

I'm pretty sad that PS4 appears not selling that well, good luck having JRPGs this generation

We really don't know yet until we know how many they shipped there. If they shipped a million units there that's why stores have them. If they shipped 500k and units are everywhere that's bad. The Wii U did 350k and this should do better than that I would assume.

MogCakes

Nah, if PS4 tanks then the 3DS will become the RPG device of choice. I say that owning a PS4 and hoping to have a shitload of RPGs on it.

BlackJace

We really don't know yet until we know how many they shipped there. If they shipped a million units there that's why stores have them. If they shipped 500k and units are everywhere that's bad. The Wii U did 350k and this should do better than that I would assume.

No way in hell it shipped a million. Chris1964 in the Media Create thread speculates around 300-400k shipped.

Top Bottom