• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alleged Audio Files From Smash For 3DS Make Mention of "8-Player Smash" And More

jwk94

8 player Final Destination match would be hell.

Speaking of FD, did they keep in the "all stages have a FD mode" idea?

HUELEN10

Like, I don't think that 3DS could handle it (Maybe Nintendo 3DS, but there's still the issue of low pixel density/lacking play area), but could Wii U handle it?

Perhaps not locally, but maybe with LAN or online play?

The prospect is exciting, specially for New Pork 2: That Kid Icarus Shit.

fucking three ds limitations ruining everything

the Gamecube could hande eight fucking players on mario party and kart and that was like 20 years ago

i never would have used this single incredibly niche feature but let me tell you i'm pissed anyway

Hatchtag

Banned
I think the Wii U could handle it.
1) Melee and Brawl have stuff for six players in the debug menu/through hacks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C39jSHQkhlw
2) Ice Climbers and transformations are gone and the game's designed with 3ds limitations in mind. There shouldn't be anything that'd stress the framerate all that much, so they could be able to finally make a mode like this work on the Wii U.
3) There's eight costumes per character, so it'd work from a design perspective.
4) There's more than enough controller inputs. Wii remotes, Pro controllers, Gamepad, Gamecube controllers, and 3DS as a controller.
I think that this could actually be very doable on the Wii U, and I hope it becomes a mode. Could be a ton of fun.

Shun

My dream of Super Smash Bros. Tag Tournament is coming closer and closer to fruition every day.

Gotta be Wii U stuff. Extra modes and tourney(YES! Although, would they really call it "tourney"?) sound plausible. I'm not sure about 8 player smash. I guess it could work [four GCN controllers, three pro controllers, and a GamePad] but I seriously doubt they'd have the balls to put it in the game.

I don't see that as happening, because than the name wouldn't make sense if you played with any less than four players.

I mean...even if it was 4 on the Wii U and 4 3DS' it wouldn't make sense playing with less than 4 players on each. It's the same restriction. What if you want to do 5, 6 or 7 players? You just can't?

We know literally nothing about the Wii U exclusive content except for some of the levels.

8 Player Smash could be the exclusive mode. If this were some sort of tag team thing, it'd be called something with Tag Team in the name I'd assume.

Well, between 1 and 4 players is simply called Free For All...the names usually imply the upper limit. Like I said earlier, ONLY allowing 8 players and not 5, 6 or 7, would be bizarre

Goon Boon

Banned
We know literally nothing about the Wii U exclusive content except for some of the levels.

8 Player Smash could be the exclusive mode. If this were some sort of tag team thing, it'd be called something with Tag Team in the name I'd assume.

Anth0ny

8 player mode on Wii U

8 players using ice climbers who will be available via dlc

Can you handle it, Wii U?

HUELEN10

Gotta be Wii U stuff. Extra modes and tourney(YES! Although, would they really call it "tourney"?) sound plausible. I'm not sure about 8 player smash. I guess it could work [four GCN controllers, three pro controllers, and a GamePad] but I seriously doubt they'd have the balls to put it in the game.
They did in Brawl.

Bluth54

Playing 8 player matches on larger maps like Temple would be fun. I doubt the 3DS could handle it but Wii U probably could.

Teknoman

8 players would be too chaotic, so I kinda hope that doesn't happen,

This. I'm fine with 4p max with items, without items, or even just plain ol 1v1 without items, but 8 people? Thats too much for this kind of game.

EDIT: When Sakurai said transformations were out because of 3DS limitations, what exactly was he talking about?

Probably cut content. You already see lag when there are 6 total characters on the screen.

You see lag when there are that many on the screen for the 3ds version. We however know next to nothing about how the WiiU's online will be and things could easily change between the 2 versions.

If there really are 2x the amount of stages on the WiiU version according to a leak that may or may not be true, then they could easily allow this mode on only the larger ones so things don't get too crowded on smaller platforms. We've already seen several that have the potential to do so.

And her stage as well.

ISeeWhatYouDidThereBlackSS.png

antibolo

Banned
The Wii U could theorically do as many as 9 players, if you use all available control inputs (gamepad, 4 gamecube, 4 bluetooth).

That would be pretty cool.

On Wii U have it be only on final destination stages with no items and only Mii's. I think 8 players is definitely playable with those limitations.

Would a using a 3DS as a controller count as a "Pro" slot or would it be separate?

Would have to be separate as Pro and Wii Remotes connect with Bluetoooth. I assume it's going to be like Monster Hunter where the 3DS connects to the Wii U through Wi-fi. That supported three 3DS's.

With Gamecube controllers, Bluetoooth controllers, Gamepad and 3DS there could be 12 controller inputs. In fact have somebody on a Classic and another on the Wii Remotes connected to it and you could have 16 simultaneous players.

I want someone to make a game that supports that now.

If Smash Run ever gets patched with online (assuming that was a time concession and not a hardware one), making it 8 player could work. Just randomly decide at the end of the Smash Ruh bit which of the 8 fighters go into 4-person rooms.

ugoo18

If Smash Run ever gets patched with online (assuming that was a time concession and not a hardware one), making it 8 player could work. Just randomly decide at the end of the Smash Ruh bit which of the 8 fighters go into 4-person rooms.

Not when even local play can still suffer from bad lag let alone For Glory/Fun.

Top Bottom