• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Solomon's Key appreciation thread

fresquito

Solomon's Key is probably the biggest (and nicest) surprise I've found with the VC launch games. However, after checking this thread, I've realised how little people know of this legendary game, because if they knew, they'd go and download this old jewel without any hesitation.

But what is this game about? Solomon's Key is a strange breed, a mix between adventure and puzzle. You are in the role of a mage with the power to create and destroy blocks, and your goal is to reach for the door that will lead you to the next level. But first you have to obtain the key of each stage, and a bell, that will summon a fairy near the door. Why does he want to get to that door? None knows, and none cares. Each stage takes place in a single screen, no scroll here. It may sound limited, but each one is a puzzle on its own. The level design is really clever, as you have not a written path you must discover. In fact there's quite a lot of freedom for you to come up with solutions to the problems you've to face. One of those problems is that you start every stage with a health number that goes down fast. You have to clear the stage before the count reaches zero. As I've already said, your principal weapon is your mind and your ability to create and destroy blocks. Destructing some blocks will result in the aparition of some items. They can destroy enemies, give you health or even let you throw a fireball (you can acumulate up to three). So your main task will be create blocks to jump on or destroy the ones that are in your way, but as you progress in the game, this will result in a tricky task, since the destruction of blocks will result in the liberation of foes. So you've got to think what you do before doing, since dying is pretty easy in this game, and you've got just three lives. There're lots of stages (I think there were something like a hundred of them, but my memory may be failing here). In the original there was no save system, but with VC this shouldn't be a problem.

Solomon's_Key_(U)_1.png

The first stage. You can destruct the brown blocks.

Up to this day, there're lots of things that have stood the test of time in this game. One is the impressive level design (from a gameplay standpoint). The other are the controls, they are surprisingly verstile for the time they were created. You crate blocks and destry them with the A button, press down in the d-pad and the mage will crawl, push up and he will jump (controllable jump). Nowadays it sounds so obvious you might think I'm dumb for praising such a thing, but in the time this game was created, this was not the norm by any means. Controls still feel right nowadays, which is a testament to how good they were then. With B you release fireballs.

What didn't age that well are the graphics and sound. Graphics are ok for what the game is, not a big deal, but you'd wish you were deaf after a few minutes of playing.

Well, I have nothing else to add except the obvious thing:

DOWNLOAD THIS GAME BITCHES!

Edit: Actually some stages have scrolling and there 48 of them.

SantaC

I owned it as a kid. Great game, and the last level was a bitch!

There is also a sequel that I never played.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I love this game. It was one of my faves on NES. The thing is, I don't think I ever really got close to beating it. The music is annoying, but it's burned into my brain and I don't think I could ever play it without hearing it. When I can finally find a Wii, I will rip myself off and get this.

Kuramu

I love this game, and when i can finally find a Wii, this will be the first thing i DL. I used to keep the NES one on pause so not to loose my progress. I'm hoping theres a save state or whatever on Wii

SuperPac

I've never played Solomon's Key. Never. Looks fun. I wonder, as the VC library gets bigger, which I'll download more of -- games I have nostalgia for from personal experience or games I never played back in the day that I'd like to try.

It would be better if they offered timed demos of these games for free, of course...

yeah I remember this game, and while it didnt have the awesome factor of a game like zelda or metroid, it was nonetheless a well made game that had its place.

just curious how much does it cost roughly to DL a game like this to the Wii? (and yeah does it let you save state)

Armitage

Lakedaimon said:
yeah I remember this game, and while it didnt have the awesome factor of a game like zelda or metroid, it was nonetheless a well made game that had its place.

just curious how much does it cost roughly to DL a game like this to the Wii? (and yeah does it let you save state)

It's 500 points IIRC, which is $5 American.

fresquito said:
So you've got to think what you do before doing, since dying is pretty easy in this game, and you've got just three lives. There're lots of stages (I think there were something like a hundred of them, but my memory may be failing here). In the original there was no save system, but with VC this shouldn't be a problem.
VC doesn't help in this TOO much. Games only save your state when leaving, and erase it when you return. It's like the quick save feature found in many portable games.

I may have to try this out. I knew jack about it until people started praising it as a downloadable recently.

Lakedaimon said:
I explained the save states above. All NES games including Solomon's Key currently go for $5. Well, 500 points.

Gigglepoo

fresquito said:
Each stage takes place in a single screen, no scroll here. It may sound limited, but each one is a puzzle on its own.

That's actually not true. The levels are quite large sometime.

But, I agree with your sentiment. This is the most underrated game I have ever played. Just a brilliant action puzzle game that history seems to forget when great NES games are listed. $5 for this game is still a bargain. People are paying 10 times that for Red Steel! Gah!

koam

I remember playing this game when it came out. I was super young (6?) at that time but i had a blast.

Baryn

Banned
Sounds a lot like LOLO. I certainly enjoyed that blue man's game. My impression is that this looks... ehh, really frustrating.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I REFUSE to buy VC games I already own on a cart, so Solomon's Key is one of the only ones currently available that I would even consider buying. We'll see.

I probably won't even hit the VC stuff hard until spring at the earliest. I'm tempted to, but why explore VC when I still haven't cleared Gears of War, am only 1/3rd through Zelda, haven't beaten Bully from Gameznfliz yet, have Viva Pinata on it's way, etc etc.

SuperPac

GDJustin said:
I REFUSE to buy VC games I already own on a cart, so Solomon's Key is one of the only ones currently available that I would even consider buying. We'll see.

I thought that way originally but the save state thing is really winning me over. It's gonna get me to buy a lot more of these games.

ToxicAdam

This game was one of my favorite NES games of all time.

The big downer was that it did not have continues. Also, this was pre-internet .. and pre-hint lines. So you had to figure everything out yourself. So, one game could last you 3 hours. If you had to go somewhere... you just left the NES on all day/night until you came back.

There are 48 standard levels (plus secret rooms). I got stuck on level 47 and never went back to finish it. I probably spent 40 hours trying to beat this game. The level design is awesome.

snap4701.gif

Level 47 .. the bane of my existence.

thomaser

My father sat with that game for a whole day once, and eventually got to level 47 or 48 before he gave up. I don't think he ever played it again after that :)

There's an excellent sequel for the Game Boy as well, called Solomon's Club. The gameplay is much the same, but you can also visit shops to buy upgrades, weapons and so on. And there's a pseudo-sequel for the NES called Solomon's Key 2 in Europe (Fire & Ice in USA), but it's not very similar to the first game at all.

SuomiDude

Hmmm... this sounds like a cool game. I do know about it, I remember seeing all kind of tips to it in one magazine back in early 90s. There was sequel(s) to this game as well, right (EDIT: also other than that GB game)?

I'm a fan of Lolo, though only had Lolo III. So this type of puzzle games should work for me.

BenT

ToxicAdam said:

The big downer was that it did not have continues.
Actually there was a continue code, and thank god for that.

Just press up+A+B at the game over / ratings screen.

Kuramu

BenT said:
Actually there was a continue code, and thank god for that.

Just press up+A+B at the game over / ratings screen.

Yes, beat me to it. And with save state, i will finally be able to do all the puzzles.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I remember playing Solomon's Key on the NES back in the good ole days. It's actually THE VC launch title I'd purchase (in Europe so I'll have to wait a bit). It's not a very pretty game, but I like puzzlers.

I didn't have many games back then - but I rented a LOT. VC is a good opportunity to relive the past and also try out stuff I missed out on - I totally skipped the 16-bit generation for various reasons!

However, I would've preferred to see a flexible pricing scheme for VC. I'd pay way more than $5 for favorites such as Destiny of an Emperor, StarTropics, Megaman, Castlevania, Metal Gear/Snake's Revenge. And had lesser/unknown titles been cheaper I would have spent the money on them as well. At the current pricing scheme I'd still purchase those favorites, but I'm less likely to spend $5 on say, Gremlins 2, while I might have bought it at hmmm $2.

fresquito

JoshuaJSlone said:
VC doesn't help in this TOO much. Games only save your state when leaving, and erase it when you return. It's like the quick save feature found in many portable games.
Well, it helps in the sense that you can actually stop playing whenever you want and continue sometime later, not that you can play safe and restart everytime you die.

Gigglepoo said:
That's actually not true. The levels are quite large sometime.
Sorry, I was talking from the top of my head. Edited the first post :)

ToxicAdam said:

The big downer was that it did not have continues. Also, this was pre-internet .. and pre-hint lines. So you had to figure everything out yourself. So, one game could last you 3 hours. If you had to go somewhere... you just left the NES on all day/night until you came back.

There are 48 standard levels (plus secret rooms). I got stuck on level 47 and never went back to finish it. I probably spent 40 hours trying to beat this game. The level design is awesome.
So they are 48. hehe, I was a little kid back then and couldn't tell the exact number. All I know it was like eternal for me :lol I think I played this game at the age of nine.

SuomiDude

SHARKS BITE KILL SHARKS said:
I'd give Solomon's Key a 7 out of 10. 19 years later it just doesn't hold up to current releases in the gameplay, graphics, and sound departments.
You write for GameSpot?

EDIT:
I knew that was an imitation of those latest GameSpot VC reviews :lol

Thanks for bringing this game to our attention. :) I'll be sure to check it out when the Wii finally arrives in buyable amounts here in Europe (that is - if they actually release Soloman's Key over here...)

What are the secret levels like, if I may ask? How are they accessed?

Spooka

This is one of my favorite games ever and its cool that more people are checking it out now. Its a top 3 NES game for me. Not sure if as a kid I ever made it past that 47th level actually. Part of the hellish magic of this game was working your way to the end for hours, not finishing it, and then having to start all over again the next day.
I've been having the music randomly pop through my head for almost 20 years now.

Gigglepoo

splattergnome said:
What are the secret levels like, if I may ask? How are they accessed?

I don't know if anyone else is going to answer this so I'll give it a shot.

All the secret levels have identical layouts. It's basically a huge room full of blocks. It's just a way to get more fireballs and points. I don't remember how to access them exactly, but it may have to do with capturing a fairy in the normal levels. Either way, they aren't that special, just a break from the normally frantic pace.

EDIT - A few years ago I wrote a weekly gaming column for a newspaper. My editor wanted a Halloween column and I came up with the idea of writing about three or four of the most intense experiences in my 20+ years of playing games. I used Solomon's Key as one of my examples. This is from Halloween '04. Man, I totally love this game.

"First up, Solomon's Key for the NES. In this action/puzzle game, you control a wizard who can create and destroy blocks with the flick of a wand. The ultimate goal of unlocking the door to the next level was made difficult by a fast moving timer and a plethora of enemies. This game was able to create a tense feeling from the moment you picked up the controller to when you finally threw it down in frustration. What moment made my heart jump and a scream rise from my throat? Two words: flying eyeballs.

They are the most dangerous enemy in Solomon's Key because they can travel anywhere they want. While most enemies were either stationary or destined to spend their lives walking aimless back and forth, the eyeballs could shoot down from above or fly right towards you when you thought you were safe. Oh, you may think you're hot stuff when you avoid the first wave. You may even get lucky and leap over one on its return trip. But they will get you. Late in the level, just when you think you finally figured out how to get through the magic door, an eyeball will come flying towards you from out of nowhere.
You try to jump but there's a block above you. You try to run but you're against a block that cannot be destroyed. Your last resort is to build a wall in front of you. You try desperately to construct a makeshift forcefield, but it's too late. The eyeball has caught you. No one ever escapes the eyeball."

I have a feeling none of my readers knew what I was talking about. Gotta spread the Solomon's Key love when I have a chance, though.

jepense

I still own he original cart, so probably I will not get it. But I agree, it was great. Really difficult for me at the time it was new. The sequel was a bit different - more puzzles and less action.

fresquito

Gigglepoo said:
I have a feeling none of my readers knew what I was talking about. Gotta spread the Solomon's Key love when I have a chance, though.
I too have this feeling :D

Edit: And yeah, people should start to do these kind of topics for the VC games that appear. We need GAF impressions!

If you have an Xbox, you can try the arcade version of Solomon's Key (along with other games) for $5 with Tecmo Classic Arcade. The compilation is kind of lazily put together (no real bells and whistles), but it's certainly worth the asking price for Solomon's Key and Rygar alone. The arcade version of Solomon's Key actually has snazzier graphics than the NES port (not that it matters either way for this type of game, but still).

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=210846

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
DaBargainHunta said:
If you have an Xbox, you can try the arcade version of Solomon's Key (along with other games) for $5 with Tecmo Classic Arcade. The compilation is kind of lazily put together (no real bells and whistles), but it's certainly worth the asking price for Solomon's Key and Rygar alone. The arcade version of Solomon's Key actually has snazzier graphics than the NES port (not that it matters either way for this type of game, but still).

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=210846

My next question is - Is it compatible on the X360?

Edit: It is! According to http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/backwardcompatibilitygameslist.htm

For those checking out the Tecmo arcade collection, don't get TOO excited. Maybe it's just that I'm so used to the NES version after playing it for 20 years, but I bought the arcade PCB several years ago and could never fully get into it. The graphics are nice and detailed (though seeing Dana's face so clearly weirds me out), but the music makes me cry -- none of the extended soloing in the NES music is present, making the song about 1/5th as long and irritating rather than catchy and fun. I actually greatly prefer the NES version for that reason alone, since you spend a LOT of time with that song when trying to finish off all 50 levels. :)

Top Bottom