• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hey Sega! Let's outsource the next Sonic game to...

Castef

Banned
...to...

...to?

Which software house would you choose for outsourcing the next blue hedgehog game?

Now that I think of it, there are several software house I'd consider for certain genres. Like Platinum Games or Ninja Theory for action games ad Double Fine for graphic adventures.

Yet... who would I choose for a platform game like the next-Sonic?

My first choice would actually be Twisted Pixel, due to the fact that the two Splosion Man game are some of the best 2D platform games I've played in recent years. Yet, they are fully owned by Microsoft, so they are out of discussion.

In the end my choice would probably be Hitbox Games, developers of Dustforce. They could have the right "touch" for a 2D Sonic, while I'd totally consider Insomniac for a 3D Sonic game (yep, I appreciated a lot the original Spyro trilogy).

What about you, gaffers?

GlamFM

Banned
Nintendo.

I´m not kidding, not one bit.

Real talk: I think the Sonic franchise is really mediocre and I never got the appeal.

sonic-idiot-run-17.gif

Come on, everybody knows who the kings of platformers are.

Retro seems really great at updating classic games while keeping their souls. So they get my vote.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Treasure.

I'm fascinated by what they'd make.

Ubisoft. Have them use the UbiArt Framework engine on it.

Also a good call. The Wall-Run levels of Rayman Origins/Legends as well as Jungle Run/Fiesta Run are as close to 2D Sonic I've felt in a long, long time.

Sonic as a character is pretty shit. Ideally I'd have Sega just drop Sonic and focus on making a platformer that's actually good. Sonic's mechanics don't work in 3D.

Ubi...beaten.

Bioware. Just don't outsource the music this time...

Edit: Activision. Finally, the Spyro & Sonic game will happen.

NEO0MJ

Give it to from software, then we can finally go back to the moody and atmospheric days of old, with no cut-scenes to ruin the game.

Logash

A more traditional platform dev would be great. EAD or retro sound perfect. Sonics level design really needs some work.

Well Sonic has always been about momentum so when he runs fast then stops....it shouldnt be on a dime.

Never said that it should. I agree, momentum is very important for Sonic.

I just thought Rayman was a little sloppy feeling, not terrible though. It's a good game. Who knows they could do a great job. I just had a feeling.

Banned
Prope & SNK

I think Sonic Pocket Adventure was the last great 2D Sonic plus SNK look like they need something to do.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Sonic Team or Dimps. OK, Sonic Team wouldn't be outsourcing, but a few years ago, as far as I remember, Sonic Team was a separate company, so they did "outsource" Sonic to Sonic Team during the Dreamcast era :). I don't know any other company who ever has made a good high speed platformer (disregarding Jazz Jackrabbit because Epic probably doesn't have the staff they had back then).

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Prope & SNK

I think Sonic Pocket Adventure was the last great 2D Sonic plus SNK look like they need something to do.
So, you really want Dimps? Because Sonic Pocket Adventure was made by Dimps.

Top Bottom