• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rapist awarded joint custody of victims child in MI (Up: ruling stayed)

AkumaNiko

Update:
I saw an update on this, not sure if posted:

http://www.abajournal.com/news/arti...to_father_accused_of_raping_th#When:15:19:00Z

Seems the judge was unaware of the father's sex offender status and has stayed his ruling.

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/convicted-rapist-awarded-joint-custody-victims-lawyer-says

It could be the first case of its kind in Michigan. A judge in Sanilac County has awarded joint legal custody to a man who allegedly raped a young girl, the victim's attorney said.

She was just 12 at the time and now has an 8-year-old boy.

The alleged rapist and biological father was not on the child's birth certificate. With joint legal custody, he could have input in decisions regarding the boy's education, religion and medical issues. He could also end up having the right to spend time with the child.

Now 21, the victim said she was raped by Christopher Mirasolo. Her attorney said when the woman applied for state aid, Sanilac County assistant prosecutor Eric Scott filed a motion to establish paternity and collect child support.

"He claims my client agreed to it and even claimed she signed the judgment, and I'm like, 'No, she didn't. I have it right here,'" said Rebecca Kiessling, the victim's attorney.

The shit is wrong with people

BigDug13

"And I'm like...." Lawyers talk like this?

Screwed up situation. He should have to foot child support and have no parental access.

Ogodei

I'm not sure what the out is here.

Is it possible for the child to disown a non-custodial parent? Like, the child refuses to see them, so they're effectively cut out of the loop?

ShyMel

He does not deserve any time with the child. The mother should not have to worry about her rapist interacting with her child.

Syriel

Is this the judge being a dick or the judge doing what the law say?

He does not deserve any time with the child. The mother should not have to worry about her rapist interacting with her child.

According to the article, this is something that the prosecutor/judge did without the consent of either party.

Linked in OP said:
Mirasolo's attorney said this motion came as a surprise to her client and was not pursued by them. She said they never talked about parental time and she's not sure if it's something he wants.

FyreWulff

if you're wondering how they get away with this shit

mdNuxzQ.jpg

the even more fucked up thing is they did this just because she applied for food stamps.

cameron

Now 21, the victim said she was raped by Christopher Mirasolo. Her attorney said when the woman applied for state aid, Sanilac County assistant prosecutor Eric Scott filed a motion to establish paternity and collect child support.

"He claims my client agreed to it and even claimed she signed the judgment, and I'm like, 'No, she didn't. I have it right here,'" said Rebecca Kiessling, the victim's attorney.

Welfare reform. Gotta make sure someone pays.

This right here. State doesn't want to pay. They would rather get the rapist to do it even if it means imposing the dude into the victim's life.

Mirasolo pleaded guilty to attempted third-degree criminal sexual conduct and served a half-year in jail. He was later convicted for sexual assaulting another young girl.
Serial rapist.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Not just a serial rapist but a paedophile has been given custody of a child.

It's absolutely stunning. I have no words. WTF is with the judge?

Edit:
Mirasolo pleaded guilty to attempted third-degree criminal sexual conduct and served a half-year in jail. He was later convicted for sexual assaulting another young girl.
So he hasn't even served time for actually raping a child. Of which we have proof because the victim was pregnant by him, and she was underage.

This is a child rapist and he served only 6 months in jail and now he's awarded custody.

I can't...

Bakercat

"I would like to apply for the snap program for me and my child"

"Where is the father in the situation"

"He Raped me and I now have a child because of it"

"Well, don't you think he should be apart of his child's life and decisions?"

America in a nutshell...

AkumaNiko

"I would like to apply for the snap program for me and my child"

"Where is the father in the situation"

"He Raped me and I now have a child because of it"

"Well, don't you think he should be apart of his child's life and decisions?"

America in a nutshell...

I have a feeling this has happened somewhere else too. Or at least implied

FyreWulff

They also made it so she can't move away from the rapist

"The victim, who dropped out of school and went to live with relatives out of state, was ordered to return to Michigan or be held in contempt of court, and she is not allowed to move more than 100 miles from where she had been living when the case was filed without court consent."

Men need to start speaking the fuck up to other men about this shit. We have legislators that have killed anti child rape and child marriage bills. There are literally men out there that set up laws to act like this. We, as men, need to stop passively approving of it.

Syder

Edit:

So he hasn't even served time for actually raping a child. Of which we have proof because the victim was pregnant by him, and she was underage.

This is a child rapist and he served only 6 months in jail and now he's awarded custody.

I can't...
Yup, it's totally irrefutable

The justice system at work everybody...

KarmaCow

Mirasolo's attorney said this motion came as a surprise to her client and was not pursued by them. She said they never talked about parental time and she's not sure if it's something he wants.

Am I reading this wrong are they really taking the child away from her despite no one involved (other than the judge) actually wanting it to happen?

Edit:

I can't...

legitimately sickening

6 months?

and then another one??

what a massive fucking oversight, they literally gave this man free reign to assault another child

fucking disgusting

Just to confirm I mathed right...

She was 12 and he was 18 when the child was conceived? If that's the case how in the hell is he an 'alleged rapist' if he's the confirmed biological father? .

If she wants him back in jail, sue for child support.

Also, how did a judge deem him fit to be a parent. He has nothing to offer.

It should be a law that a rapist automatically forfeits their parenting rights. Make that federal too.

Effect

Not an ounce of common sense was used here. No way in hell this should have even been considered. I hope the judge and the prosecutor can be sued over this. If the prosecutor submitted any documents on behalf of anyone isn't that outright fraud? Also the rapist should be registered a sex offender. How is that not a red flag that stops this as well?

Seriously, WTF? This guy should have absolutely zero contact with any minors. And only six months?! Holy fuck. I have a dumbass cousin who has been in prison for over three years because when he was 19/20 he had a girlfriend that was 15.

Fake Edit: Well looking it up on the SOR and MDOC sites explains why he only got six months he took a plea that dropped it down to "attempted" WTF?

He did just over five and a half years for the second with a no contest plea.

Just to confirm I mathed right...

She was 12 and he was 18 when the child was conceived? If that's the case how in the hell is he an 'alleged rapist' if he's the confirmed biological father? .
Yeah, he's "alleged" because he took a plea that made it "attempted".

Fuck all if I know.

Real Edit: Oh and it's just fitting the primary town in Sanilac county is Sandusky.

That report leaves out this bit about the piece of shit judge that was put on the case (Ross is the judge)

Ross disclosed the rape victim’s address to Mirasolo and ordered Mirasolo’s name to be added to the child’s birth certificate — all without the victim’s consent or a hearing, according to Kiessling.

“An assistant prosecutor on this, Eric Scott, told me she had granted her consent, which was a lie — she has never been asked to do this and certainly never signed anything,” Kiessling said.

Ross could not be reached Friday afternoon.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...ictim-attacker-joint-child-custody/106374256/

Oersted

Serial rapist gets joint custody with girl he raped when she was 12.

What is wrong with the judge, seriously....

Ephidel

I'm taking my quotes from the Detroit News article on the story.
he tossed their cellphones away, drove to Detroit where he stole gas from a station and then drove back to Sanilac County, where he kept them captive for two days in a vacant house near a relative, finally releasing the older sister in a park. He threatened to kill them if they told anyone what happened.
So she was 12, he kidnapped her, raped her, and threatened to kill her.

He got her pregnant, so there was evidence.

But all of this resulted in... a plea deal for attempted third-degree criminal sexual conduct.

Wow, rape of children is sure taken seriously.
Mirasolo was sentenced to one year in the county jail but only served six and a half months before early release so he could care for his sick mother, Kiessling said.

”She (client) and her family was told first-time sex offenders weren't sent to prison because people come out worse after they go there," said Kiessling.
3rd Degree CSC has a maximum sentence of 15 years, and he was given one.
He was sentenced to county jail instead of prison, and didn't even serve his whole sentence.

In March 2010, Mirasolo committed a sex assault on a victim between the ages of 13 and 15 years old. He served only four years for that second offense, Kiessling said.
And then he went and reoffended!
With another child!

Oh yes, that light sentencing sure stopped him coming out worse!

she said she didn't want the baby to be a victim, too," said Kiessling. ”She dropped out of school, went to live with relatives out of state and worked jobs to try and support herself."
Ross disclosed the rape victim's address to Mirasolo and ordered Mirasolo's name to be added to the child's birth certificate — all without the victim's consent or a hearing, according to Kiessling.
Kiessling said her client was notified she was ”not allowed to move 100 miles from where she had been living when the case was filed, without court consent."

”So the prosecutor told her she had to come home immediately or she would be held in contempt of court," Kiessling said.
The mother chose to keep the child and care for it.
She moved away, got jobs, and got on with her life...
She did all the things they want people to do!
But because she applied for state assistance (because oh no, how dare she), they revealed her details to her rapist (or, fine, to play by their rules, the man convicted of attempting to commit third degree criminal sexual conduct against her when she was a minor), forced her to move back even though that probably means she lost the job or jobs she'd had, and awarded him joint custody.

Even with a history of sexual offenses against children on his record, when it's blatantly evident that the child in question is the result of his sexual offenses against children, THEY GAVE HIM JOINT CUSTODY OF THE CHILD.

There are no words for how completely fucked up that is.

Edit:

I can't...
What the hell at this. So a judge rules the kid is his. Which she got when being 12. So... isn't that reason to put him behind bars since apparently the judge then agrees he raped a child.

Some Nobody

For two underage rapes that guy should've spent more than 5 years in jail. For giving a rapist custody of a child that judge should lose his job, yesterday.

And the mom should be given a lot more aid than $260/mo given all she's had to deal with. America, wtf is this?

I'm hoping to see this thread bumped some time later on when the jidge gets disbarred.

Seriously, this is astoundingly negligent of the authorities.

robochimp

The article title and opening paragraph are in conflict with this further down.

"Under the motion before him, Judge Gregory Ross could award the 27-year-old Brown City man joint legal custody."

Which means there hasn't actually been a ruling on awarding custody.

Top Bottom