• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cold Waters - awesome submarine game gets stealth release

Jackpot

Banned
underwater-combat-logo.jpg

ss_ed33bd5bd144ce08c5ef882501c6054f5e320803.1920x1080.jpg

ss_dac5f9efd2702317c5ea94a999b15329a2df3cf7.1920x1080.jpg

ss_6461b7c5be1e3be900c9729d978670b71fa8bcb1.1920x1080.jpg

87ED0A2A11F68D776C72F3EF2ADFF76564B7A888

1AC9523A0B8BC0EA149115EA7AF6849B635E456B

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei30pLIK9_Y

Out of nowhere, amirite?

Looks good, plays great. Above all it has the perfect balance between simulator and game. I've wanted to like past games such as the Silent Hunter series, but they're so simmy you end up spending all your time staring at radar screens and crawling huge distances only to be blown up by an unseen enemy sub. Other games like Battlestations Midway are more fun, but have very shallow gameplay.

I locked a torpedo onto a blue whale once.

Fireblend

Banned
YouTube Description:

Inspired by the 1988 classic “Red Storm Rising”, command a nuclear submarine in a desperate attempt to prevent “mutually assured destruction” when the Cold War gets hot and WWIII begins.

You will be tasked with intercepting convoys, amphibious landings, insertion missions, land strikes and battling it out with enemy warships, submarines and aircraft. Thankfully, an arsenal of wire-guided torpedoes, anti-ship and cruise missiles and the occasional SEAL team are on board to keep the Iron Curtain at bay.

Major Features:
- Real-time naval combat
- Over 40 classes of ships and submarines all meticulously researched
- Two Dynamic Campaigns where your performance matters
- Realistic sonar model
- Authentic Soviet combat tactics

Coming in June 2017 for PC and Mac:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/541...

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Oooh this looks cool. With the Silent Hunter series dead in the water (badum tish) this might make a nice replacement.

Thanati

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei30pLIK9_Y

Out of nowhere, amirite?

Looks good, plays great. Above all it has the perfect balance between simulator and game. I've wanted to like past games such as the Silent Hunter series, but they're so simmy you end up spending all your time staring at radar screens and crawling huge distances only to be blown up by an unseen enemy sub. Other games like Battlestations Midway are more fun, but have very shallow gameplay.

I locked a torpedo onto a blue whale once.

Holy crap. Where did this come from!! Any impressions guys?

Mindlog

I do enjoy a manually calculated firing solution.
Where on the Silent Hunter scale are we talking with this one?

Jackpot

Banned
I do enjoy a manually calculated firing solution.
Where on the Silent Hunter scale are we talking with this one?

http://store.steampowered.com/manual/541210

You can read up on the different sensor systems in the manual. I would say it's positioned precisely halfway between Sim and Game.

To give you an idea, the passive sonar system displays a bunch of lines, the clarity of which depends on your noise levels, their noise levels, and a bunch of other factors. The better your sonar picture the faster it creates a "Target Motion Analysis" profile, which is a fancy way of saying how accurate the contact is positioned on your minimap. You can cycle through sonar profiles of known ships and marine life looking for a match to increase the speed further.

You have baffle blindness, variable thermal layers, and can create knuckles - all terms I'd never heard of but picked up in a few minutes.

Modding is also supported with missions being created through simple text files.

Almighty

Sounds good. I will have to wait for some impressions, but I will be keeping an eye on this. I could go for a new submarine game.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Out of nowhere, amirite?

Well, if you follow the sub sim community it's actually been on those people's radars for a while, even though this isn't a pure sim. Generally these kinds of games don't get a lot of mainstream publicity.

I'll be picking this up at some point, we need more Cold War era games. I've seen a few Youtube LPs/vids and it seems promising, though there are some issues. Hopefully a 1.1 patch will address the major ones.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I loved red storm rising. This looks amazing.

Some nostalgia

Red%20Storm%20Rising_5.png

Red%20Storm%20Rising_1.png

300px-redstormrising_missionoldgame.png

Back in my youth I played the living hell out of Red Storm Rising on my C64. I loved all of those Microprose sim games but RSR was a tactical dream, suspenseful yet calm too in it’s execution. I really felt like I was commanding a nuclear submarine and it was one of the best games I’ve ever played for making you feel like a virtual captain of a powerful ship.

Cold Waters, you have my attention. I may just buy it out of pure curiosity alone seeing how it’s inspired by RSR itself.

Morat

Banned
This game is excellent.

I played through the tutorials, and then embarked on the campaign. After figuring out how to move on the tactical map of the North Atlantic, my nuclear attack sub ran into a couple of old Soviet Whiskey class subs. I wasted a lot of torpedoes, but managed to sink both, dodging a couple in return by sinking 500 feet. Felt pretty good I had managed to complete my first mission, until I was suddenly hit by one of my own torpedoes, which was running in circles after loosing its wire connection to my sub. Reactor SCRAM + massive flooding sent me down to crush depth.

10/10, would die through my own idiocy in the cold, cold waters again.

Bombless

Heard about this game when Jingles made a youtube video about it. In it he mentioned another streamer called Jive Turkey and I spent the past few days watching his videos.

Bought the game today. It looks really awesome and it seems the devs will continue adding stuff to the game.

Top Bottom