• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinya Takahashi Is the 'Conductor' Taking Nintendo into the Future

Awesome article on Takahashi and the other 'new bloods' at Nintendo coming to the forefront.

http://time.com/4653977/shinya-takahashi-nintendo/

A funny thing happened during Nintendo's January presentation to show off the Switch, its upcoming games console. So intent were viewers on gleaning details about the company's mystery-shrouded new system—a portable game device that can dock with televisions—that they may have missed another kind of "switch" being presented.

Amid the psychedelic lasers and quirky presentational humor, the storied company trotted out not one, not two, but six Nintendo executives and creative luminaries. That was unusual. None were familiar faces, though all bore impressive titles plucked from the company's inner sanctum. The company was effectively reversing years of precedent in which its front-facing communiques, dubbed "Nintendo Directs," had been shepherded by icons like late Nintendo President Satoru Iwata, Donkey Kong creator Shigeru Miyamoto and Nintendo of America boss Reggie Fils-Aimé.

Nintendo President Tatsumi Kimishima led with the Switch's price ($299) and launch date (March 3), as if to clear the table for what followed. Next up was Nintendo Director Shinya Takahashi, who offered a historical montage of Nintendo platforms designed to cast Switch as the culmination of the company's decades of unorthodox bets. Other rarely seen figures emerged, like Switch general producer Yoshiaki Koizumi (for many the presentation's star, swooning, and cosplaying) to Switch game producer Kosuke Yabuki (the director most recently of Nintendo's acclaimed Mario Kart 8). As the presentation continued, finger snaps echoed. Koizumi donned a Mario cap. Splatoon 2 lead Hisashi Nogami roamed the stage with paintball guns. It was as if mom and dad were away, and the kids had come out to play.

Gutss

First saw this guy is with miyamoto in a picture, he looks like a jolly guy like iwata, got a nice vibe for the next in line president of nintendo.

Otnopolit

Sure it is, can't wait to play Mario, Zelda and Metroid on my PC or PS4!

166.gif

Interfectum

I love how people assume if Switch bombs Nintendo goes directly to PS4. If anything, they will make another handheld and double/triple down on mobile.

AniHawk

takahashi is probably next after kimishima. i thought that kimishima's role would be to establish some kind of precedent for the future before handing over the reigns, but it seems like he's keen on running the show for longer than a couple of years.

what was more telling was genyo takeda's complete absence. dude's been with nintendo for over 40 years and he'll be in his 70s before the end of the decade. if there was a last hurrah to be had, this is probably it.

Zalman

My favorite part of the article:

"If all of Nintendo's content creators were to be seen as a symphony, then Mr. Takahashi is our conductor," says Nintendo of America boss Reggie Fils-Aimé, when asked to contrast Takahashi's role with Iwata's. "What I mean by that is, it's his decision to bring the different players in our orchestra onto a particular game or a particular initiative. He's the ultimate decision maker in what gets played by the symphony or what gets created by Nintendo as a company."
Really shows how much power Takahashi has right now.

takahashi is probably next after kimishima. i thought that kimishima's role would be to establish some kind of precedent for the future before handing over the reigns, but it seems like he's keen on running the show for longer than a couple of years.

what was more telling was genyo takeda's complete absence. dude's been with nintendo for over 40 years and he'll be in his 70s before the end of the decade. if there was a last hurrah to be had, this is probably it.

I thought Koizumi had quite a big presence more than anything.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Miyamoto often talked about stepping down and during E3 2015 Reggie talked about how Nintendo was going through a new transformation, this is what he meant by that.

It will be interesting to see where the new generation will take Nintendo.

Sure it is, can't wait to play Mario, Zelda and Metroid on my PC or PS4!

Why wait? When you can buy a console that will play those games, it's called a Nintendo Switch Zelda is a launch title, Mario will be a holiday title and maybe we might get a Metroid game at E3.

jnWake

Nogami (Splatoon 2 dev) is great. His appearances from the Splatoon announcement have all been hilarious.

AmyS

There was a Nintendo game that involved plying leagues of "blue ocean" long before Nintendo borrowed those words from authors W. Chan Kim and Renée Mauborgne to describe what it was up to with the groundbreaking Wii in the mid-2000s. It's a game I've reluctantly confessed to Nintendo legend Shigeru Miyamoto that I spent more time playing than Super Mario 64, the latter only ousted from the pinnacle of all-time best lists by Tetris and Nintendo's own The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. It was called Wave Race 64, and it happens to be one of the first games Shinya Takahashi worked on.

"It was my first step, really, into game development," Takahashi tells me via a translator, describing the explorative period in the mid-1990s when Nintendo was making its paradigmatic leap from the 16-bit 2D graphics of the Super Nintendo to the Nintendo 64's state-of-the-art 3D vistas. Wave Race 64 arrived shortly after the Nintendo 64's September 1996 debut, showcasing the system's visual prowess by letting players jet-ski across astonishingly naturalistic waves, their plausible swells and dips made possible by a then-unprecedented custom Silicon Graphics chip.

"The reason I wound up on Wave Race was because of my work in 3D graphics," Takahashi explains. "It all started sitting down with these engineers who only had experience with the Famicom and the Super Famicom [the Japanese names for Nintendo's 8-bit NES and 16-bit Super NES consoles] and the 2D graphics there. We just plopped an SGI [Silicon Graphics, Inc.] machine in front of them and sat down and said, 'How are we going to make something with this?'"
Takahashi was already donning different hats, both designing and coordinating work by the rest of the team. "It didn't matter whether they were new or they'd been here for years, we had the engineers working with the designers, all lined up at the same starting point with zero experience. And then I was helping to pull them along," he says. According to Takahashi, it was he and Yoshiaki Koizumi who effectively pulled Nintendo into the 3D era, essentially thanks to their enthusiasm for 3D graphics.

"Mr. Koizumi was working with Mr. Miyamoto on Super Mario 64, and at this point I'm in the shadows, working on Wave Race 64," says Takahashi. "And what got us our start was a programmer—he went on to create the base program for Wii Sports—who did the wave programming for the game." At some point, said programmer's work caught Shigeru Miyamoto's eye. "Mr. Miyamoto asked, 'Can't you do something with that?' And that was the start of Wave Race 64. We were basically tasked with figuring out how to take the waves created in the tech demo and turn it into something fun."
Critically acclaimed, Wave Race 64 went on to sell nearly 2 million copies.

Wave Race 64 was such an amazing game.

Soul Lab

With this man on the front and the fact that he was heavily involved with Wave Race 64 gives me hope for a new Wave Race. lol

So intent were viewers on gleaning details about the company's mystery-shrouded new system—a portable game device that can dock with televisions—that they may have missed another kind of "switch" being presented.

Isn't this the exact opposite of every piece of marketing Nintendo has put out? They want it seen as a console you can take with you, not a handheld you can play on TV.

:S

It's looking like this will be an interesting path with such talent taking some of the lead. I can only wonder what we'll see for E3 and beyond.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
It's interesting Miyamoto noted that Tezuka and Sakamoto should have gotten the face of Nintendo role after him (and Yokoi/Iwata), but that the company skipped them for a generation right under them.

brad-t

Isn't this the exact opposite of every piece of marketing Nintendo has put out? They want it seen as a console you can take with you, not a handheld you can play on TV.

:S

You literally just described the same thing you quoted. What's the difference between "a portable game device that can dock with televisions" and "a console you can take with you"?

BTA

You literally just described the same thing you quoted. What's the difference between "a portable game device that can dock with televisions" and "a console you can take with you"?

The thought of both is what appeals to me, but Nintendo's specifically trying to push it as a portable console and not a handheld that can do TV (as they're still supporting the 3DS, for better or worse), which was their point.

Neff

It's interesting Miyamoto noted that Tezuka and Sakamoto should have gotten the face of Nintendo role after him (and Yokoi/Iwata), but that the company skipped them for a generation right under them.

He's not wrong, Tezuka is Miyamoto's equal through and through, but he never got anything like the same publicity.

I think they were right in bringing Koizumi forward though, as he's the next best thing.

You must have missed the Super Bowl ad.

I actually made the same comments in the Super Bowl ad thread, about how starting the commercial with it in Handheld Mode and then docking it was against their message for the past 3-4 months, and how there's a much bigger pop/oh-shit-moment when they show it docked first and then take it out to keep playing that they missed in the commercial.

Because one is seen as a handheld first, and one is seen as a console first. I'm not just inventing this concept, Nintendo has specifically stated that they want it viewed as a console first and foremost which is why every piece of marketing and advertising has shown it docked to begin with and then, holy shit! the player takes it out and keeps playing it. Showing it as a handheld that can plug into a TV doesn't carry the same weight to it as showing a full console that you can take with you. It might be semantics, I know, but it's Nintendo's own language in the first place. If they hadn't been so adamant about the message since the reveal I wouldn't be making these comments, it's just something that's surprised me with the Super Bowl ad and now this article because it's the opposite of what Nintendo seemed to want people to see the system as.

Someone else posted in another thread that the marketers listened to feedback on the other Switch videos and people said they wanted to see it being used around the house rather than outside or traveling, which is why the Super Bowl ad exists, I just don't see why they didn't begin with it docked first since you lose that "ahah!" moment when the player takes the tablet out of the dock.

The thought of both is what appeals to me, but Nintendo's specifically trying to push it as a portable console and not a handheld that can do TV (as they're still supporting the 3DS, for better or worse), which was their point.

Exactly.

TreIII

Good read. Glad to see that it looks like the torches are already being lit in preparation for the next generation of Ninty leaders.

I never watch any of the Japanese Directs, but when Bill Trinen does the American ones, I feel like he'd be a great successor to Reggie. The guy is a natural.

AdanVC

Glad this geniuses are getting more recognition and more time on camera. Hope it becomes a trend. It would be great to see Koizumi to host Nintendo Directs from now on, even tough he probably doesn't speak english at all.

I think the Nintendo Switch is the fire test for both Koizumi and Takahashi. If the console succeds, one of them will become the next president of Nintendo, or maybe even if it doesn't succeds, one of them will become president since Kimishima truly just seems to be an intermediary President who was just assigned to proper execute the ideas and projects left by our good old Iwata.

Jubenhimer

When I first saw Takahashi, I immediately got vibes of Iwata from him. I hope he can lead good things for Nintendo's software.

When I first saw Takahashi, I immediately got vibes of Iwata from him. I hope he can lead good things for Nintendo's software.

I'm not surprised since he's been the General Producer for most of Nintendo's games from Wii/DS Era to Wii U/3DS. Mostly because he was the General Manager of Nintendo SPD and is now General Manager of EPD if I remember correctly.

Jubenhimer

I'm not surprised since he's been the General Producer for most of Nintendo's games from Wii/DS Era to Wii U/3DS. Mostly because he was the General Manager of Nintendo SPD and is now General Manager of EPD if I remember correctly.

Yeah, he was a major player in SPD productions and co-productions. SPD was where Nintendo's more experimental and off-network games came from. So now that the two are one, we're starting to see SPD's influence bleed into traditionaly EAD productions. I couldn't really imagine a game like ARMS being the same way under Miyamoto's EAD. I'm hoping to see this Renaissance from Nintendo continue to flourish, with a relentless pace of ballsy, innovative games from them. I said this before and I'll say it again, I want another Dreamcast-era Sega.

Sushigod7

Great article thanks for posting OP. Wish we could get a book of all those Iwata Asks would be amazing I love going back and reading them. Hope Takahashi has the chance to do some directs too!

ggx2ac

Trivia: The two executive producers for Fire Emblem Heroes are the president of Intelligent Systems and Shinya Takahashi.

You'd have thought Kimishima would have been the Nintendo executive producer.

Trivia: The two executive producers for Fire Emblem Heroes are the president of Intelligent Systems and Shinya Takahashi.

You'd have thought Kimishima would have been the Nintendo executive producer.

Why? the dude's resume is pure business, isn't it? Is it normal to just throw on the CEO's name as a game's EP?

Moze

Banned
I'm liking this new generation of Nintendo. Everything seems fresher and clearer.

I'm not sure if this is sarcasm? We know next to nothing about the online features of the Switch just 3 weeks from release. What about that is clear?

It's the same old Nintendo. Only this time they have taken some tips from Sony and MS and implemented a paywall. This could be the beginning of them adopting more anti consumer practices from their competitors.

Top Bottom