• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scientists announce a new form of matter: Time Crystals

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://journals.aps.org/prl/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevLett.118.030401 - Publication
https://arxiv.org/pdf/1610.08057v1.pdf - Harvard paper
https://arxiv.org/pdf/1609.08684v1.pdf - Maryland Paper

http://www.sciencealert.com/scientists-have-just-announced-a-brand-new-form-of-matter-time-crystals

SCIENCE said:
For months now, there's been speculation that researchers might have finally created time crystals - strange crystals that have an atomic structure that repeats not just in space, but in time, putting them in perpetual motion without energy.

Now it's official - researchers have just reported in detail how to make and measure these bizarre crystals. And two independent teams of scientists claim they've actually created time crystals in the lab based off this blueprint, confirming the existence of an entirely new form of matter.

mjc

giphy.gif

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
This sounds like science fiction.

Do they/will they have any practical application or will this end up being another costs more to make than they can produce?

Shoeless

Pretty crazy stuff. My first thought is what kinds of applications could you use this on for thrust/fuel, power generation, and materials.

Lots of exciting possibilities here. Hopefully I see some kind of practical application in my lifetime.

Speevy

Banned
Okay kids, so we froze the water and made ice.

Then we melted the ice and made water.

Then the water evaporated and made water vapor.

Now we're going to fucking time travel.

EVIL

Yeah so, I'm wondering what this has to do with perpetual motion also

from the article on sciencealert.com

First predicted by Nobel-Prize winning theoretical physicist Frank Wilczek back in 2012, time crystals are structures that appear to have movement even at their lowest energy state, known as a ground state.

Usually when a material is in ground state, also known as the zero-point energy of a system, it means movement should theoretically be impossible, because that would require it to expend energy.

But Wilczek predicted that this might not actually be the case for time crystals.

Normal crystals have an atomic structure that repeats in space - just like the carbon lattice of a diamond. But, just like a ruby or a diamond, they're motionless because they're in equilibrium in their ground state.

But time crystals have a structure that repeats in time, not just in space. And it keep oscillating in its ground state.

Imagine it like jelly - when you tap it, it repeatedly jiggles. The same thing happens in time crystals, but the big difference here is that the motion occurs without any energy.

A time crystal is like constantly oscillating jelly in its natural, ground state, and that's what makes it a whole new form of matter - non-equilibrium matter. It's incapable of sitting still.

now I wonder. if you could create such a crystal, would it be possible to create energy from it, which would make it sound close to a zero point energy source.

Serious question; what does this discovery mean? I'm a little tired at the moment as it's the middle of the night.

Short version: Almost all matter we've played with at this point exists in what we consider a state of equilibrium. As in, it's 'solid' as far as physics, and especially the passage of time, are concerned.

Time crystals however are a form of matter that don't exist in equilibrium. In this particular case, they supposedly just... repeat in their own isolated pocket of time, effectively continuing on with perpetual motion because their motion never properly ends because they're locked in an infinite loop.

Edit: Admittedly my attempts to explain it may be poor because this is way beyond what I did at school.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I really truly almost guarantee that there's no work that can be powered by these crystals' perpetual oscillation, and for similar reasons we won't be able to do anything too wonky with information. They very well might lead to new ways to shuffle energy and information around though. Just don't expect to break physics

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I really truly almost guarantee that there's no work that can be powered by these crystals' perpetual oscillation, and for similar reasons we won't be able to do anything too wonky with information. They very well might lead to new ways to shuffle energy and information around though. Just don't expect to break physics

Yeah but these being able to exist proves that perpetual motion can exist no? Like if I was a scientist that'd be cool as heck

Xe4

Banned
from the article on sciencealert.com

now I wonder. if you could create such a crystal, would it be possible to create energy from it, which would make it sound close to a zero point energy source.
That's strange. My undergraduate level understanding of quantum mechanics tells me that there is always motion at the ground state due to the uncertainty principle.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
That's strange. My undergraduate level understanding of quantum mechanics tells me that there is always motion at the ground state due to the uncertainty principle.
There is but (someone correct me) that's jittery and more a property of, as you said, uncertainty. This is periodic and consistent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom