• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomodachi Life sold over 100k units in Germany since launch

L~A

Looks like Tomodachi Life is a big success for Nintendo, at least in Germany. According to Dr. Bernd Fakesch, General Manager of Nintendo Germany, the game has sold over 100k units in Germany since its launch, back in June.

That's not all, looks like the Wii U has sold 350k units in Germany (vs 540k for PS4 and 150k for XB1, apparently), and 3DS is at ~2 millions.

Source

Info comes from gamefront.de, quoting GamesMarkt (a magazine).

Thanks cw_sasuke for the heads up!

L~A

Yeah, and French sales have been pretty good too. Spent the entire summer #­1 on Amazon.fr, and it's now the 2nd best-selling game on that website for the entire 2014 year. Pretty sweet.

oti

Banned
Yeah, and French sales have been pretty good too. Spent the entire summer #­1 on Amazon.fr, and it's now the 2nd best-selling game on that website for the entire 2014 year. Pretty sweet.

Do we have French numbers for the game?

SigSig

Yep, whenever I come across the videogame section in any consumer electronics store, Tomodachi is super visible.
I get a lot of Tomodachi Streetpasses and often spy people playing it on the train.

jeffers

I was so sure tomodachi life was going to its death, especially after the lack-of-same-sex-relationship outrage

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Nope, nothing yet.

That's not all, looks like the Wii U has sold 350k units in Germany (vs 540k for PS4 and 150k for XB1, apparently)

Wii U had more than twice the amount of time to sell, though. Nevertheless, it seems to be doing better than XB1, because 350>2*150. Though this is probably just saying that Xbox One is doing horribly here rather than Wii U doing OK. PS4 already being at almost double the amount of units sold as Wii U in half the time means it is selling about four times as much as Wii U on average.

KHlover

Banned
With pretty few ads as well. Haven't seen a single ad here in Germany, but everyone with a 3DS I Know owns the game. Would have caved in by now as well if it weren't for my new PC

Patrick S.

Banned
With pretty few ads as well. Haven't seen a single ad here in Germany, but everyone with a 3DS I Know owns the game. Would have caved in by now as well if it weren't for my new PC

What?! They run ads on KiKa, Nickelodeon and Super RTL the whole day, right in the wallet of the target audience's parents. They have for weeks.

Edit: right now as I'm typing this, the ad has come up again on Nickelodeon :)

oti

Banned

I saw an ad on Nickelodeon just yesterday when I visited my cousin.

Sloane

Banned
I wonder why that is. It wasn't really promoted, it didn't receive many "must buy" reviews, as far as I'm aware, its title sounds weird and doesn't really tell you anything about the game... all word of mouth? Odd.

400k units in Europe alone is not unrealistic at this point. Tomodachi Life will be able to sell >1m units in the West alone in 2014.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I think it also did well in the UK, especially when Nintendo did the buy one get one half price promotion.

We are getting a sequel, now the question is will same-sex-relationship be in the game?

I was so sure tomodachi life was going to its death, especially after the lack-of-same-sex-relationship outrage

Same, it even killed my hype and I only kept the pre-order since I had it for cheap.

Tomodachi means Life.

You're sure about that Friend? ;p

Madao

this game is a surprise.

i find it more entertaining than Animal Crossing by now. it's approaching 100 hours in my playlog. sucess deserved.
i would buy a sequel for this over a new AC nowadays.

i guess Sakamoto still has it outside Metroid. new Rhythm Heaven next pls!

this was only a problem for people who have to be themselves in games always. for people who base their avatars around other characters, it's a moot point. also, it was a very vocal minority.

also, it's not like the game forbids you from giving the Miis clothes from the opposite sex. you can pretty much get around the issue with some creativity (sorry about those who have to have same sex marriage at any cost. i guess it could be in the wishlist for the sequel)

L~A

this game is a surprise.

i find it more entertaining than Animal Crossing by now. it's approaching 100 hours in my playlog. sucess deserved.
i would buy a sequel for this over a new AC nowadays.

i guess Sakamoto still has it outside Metroid. new Rhythm Heaven next pls!

Really? Well... have to admit I'm over 65h myself. Playing roughly 10-15mn every day. Pretty sweet.

400k units in Europe alone is not unrealistic at this point. Tomodachi Life will be able to sell >1m units in the West alone in 2014.

We should know on October 29, with Nintendo results for H1 2014-15. Wouldn't be surprised if the game was 1m ww, with over 175 copies sold in June in the US.

yeah, of course, but it just seemed to kill any hype about it.

What hype? No one outside the Nintendo faithful knew about the game before the controversy.

The 'free advertisement' helped this time, but if the issue is left unresolved it may limit the sales potential of the next game in the series.

BDGAME

Wii U had more than twice the amount of time to sell, though. Nevertheless, it seems to be doing better than XB1, because 350>2*150. Though this is probably just saying that Xbox One is doing horribly here rather than Wii U doing OK. PS4 already being at almost double the amount of units sold as Wii U in half the time means it is selling about four times as much as Wii U on average.

I read in some place that Wii U is selling more than Xone around the world for four consecutive months.

Seen that Germany totals make me think that maybe it's true.

Ich mag dich
Du magst mich
Sei ein lieber Tomodachi für mich

250px-Barney_the_Dinosaur.png

Grizzo

Woah, definitely didn't expect such numbers. The game was very entertaining for like 3 days (like, really entertaining), but then it quickly got boring and repetitive. I don't think I would buy the sequel if one was announced.

(which reminds me that I have an extra copy to sell (PAL, still wrapped))

-Horizon-

Super improved sequel please! I love the game right now. Got almost 30 hours on it and still playing every day since I got it.

Top Bottom