• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A remake of the original N64 Turok coming soon?

ElTopo

Banned
In an interview with the creator of Powerslave EX (A remake of another fantastic console-exclusive FPS) and Doom 64 The Absolution (PC port of Doom 64) he mentioned this tidbit:

TR: After Powerslave EX, are you going to try your hand at remaking other shooters?

Kaiser: I was originally working on remaking N64 Turok (called Turok EX) but it got put off to the side. Since now Night Dive Studios has picked up the rights to re-release it, Turok EX will resume development later this year. By the way, I’ve also done work with Night Dive by re-releasing Strife, which was another reverse-engineering project that me and a friend worked on back in 2010.

Source: http://techraptor.net/content/interview-man-rebuilding-powerslave

I checked the recent Turok thread and didn't see anything about this. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=678673&highlight=turok

Choice screenshots from Kaiser's Turok EX project from last year:

https://doom64ex.wordpress.com/2014/05/18/status-on-version-2-6-and-turokex-updates/

TL6dKzs.jpg

br4oyHQ.jpg

QZt9eIg.jpg

A re-release of Turok 1 on PC would be the tits. I hope that Night Dive will remake both Turok 1 and 2 and add mod support. Can you imagine all the carnage from Cerebral Bore mods?

Retro Studios was formed by ex-Iguana people, did anyone ever figure out if there was any shared staff between the original N64 Turok series and the Metroid Prime series?

ElTopo

Banned
I think he may have gone a little overboard with the god rays...

Those images are from over a year ago and the project was helmed by one guy. I'm sure when you release a teaser for your passion project that some dude will overtly criticize what your'e doing.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
OP: Powerslave wasn't technically console exclusive; there was a PC version, although it differed from the console versions.

Either way, this looks neat, but I'm more interested in the Powerslave remake tbh.

Grief.exe

Night Dive is the hero we deserve.

I wonder if something broke in the No One Lives Forever case, they were saying some interesting things recently on Twitter. May have been unrelated.

ijqhXpmjsBjeV.gif

KissVibes

Banned
Finally, something good for the Turok series. I can't believe we never got a good modern Turok game. Made too much sense, I guess.

Turok was fucking awesome and I don't care what anyone says. The level design and gameplay wasn't anything superlative but the atmosphere was tremendously cool.

finley83

Banned
Those images are from over a year ago and the project was helmed by one guy. I'm sure when you release a teaser for your passion project that some dude will overtly criticize what your'e doing.

Judt an observation, it's pretty overbearing in the shots posted. That said, his work on Doom64 EX and the Strife re-release are pretty great so I'm sure this will be pretty cool as well.

Jawmuncher

Personally I would need a remake to play more like Turok 2008 than the N64 turok.
That or have far more dinosaurs in it, because I remember them being pretty sparse compared to all the other enemies running around.

jackal27

Banned
Bish knows. HE KNOWS.

I really hope this is true. Old Turok hasn't really aged well. Would love to see a remake with enhanced visuals.

Awesome! In instances like this would they be remaking everything from scratch or would developers back then have had the foresight to keep their code/models/textures saved someplace?

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Sorry guys, I've left the Turok IP behind. Mine is something brand new!

Looking forward to anything Night Dive does, though - you can never have too many dino properties on the market, that's what my old man always told me.

Was that ever on Steam?
No, unfortunately.

Jawmuncher

Was that ever on Steam?
Nope, it released when Disney didn't like steam at all. Now it'll never happen unless nightdive can work it's magic on that as well.
Sorry guys, I've left the Turok IP behind. Mine is something brand new!

Looking forward to anything Night Dive does, though - you can never have too many dino properties on the market, that's what my old man always told me.

No, unfortunately.

Execellent News!

G-Fex

SMH these goddamn replies.

Do you think we can not make threads about this project, it's not even being worked on at the moment, power slave is.

I will buy this but who is Night Dive Studios and have they done anything else?

A company who try to get the rights to old video games and rerelease them. System Shock 2 is probably their most famous rerelease. They tend to be good at getting rights to things others had given up on. They even managed to rerelease I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream whose rights were owned by Harlan Ellison, a renowned scifi author who is also well known for fiercely upholding the rights to his creative works (look up the case on the trek ep "City on the Edge of Forever" for instance).

it sounds like here most of the heavy tech lifting is still being done by kaiser, who has been working on and off on TurokEX for a while as a side project, which I assume was going to be a mod usable with the existing game like Doom 64 EX.

Do you think we can not make threads about this project, it's not even being worked on at the moment, power slave is.

Turok EX now being an official supported release we can pay for is pretty big news is it not?

Excellent! Something i've honestly always wanted.

Bonus, i had no idea powerslave EX was a thing, thats a game i've always really wanted to play.

Was Doom 64 EX or absolution the better of the two?

YBub.gif

I really hope this is true. Old Turok hasn't really aged well. Would love to see a remake with enhanced visuals.

Utter and complete nonsense. I replayed the original Turok just last month. Aside from the annoying jumping puzzles, it's aged extremely well.

Turok 2, on the other hand... now that game is rough.

G-Fex

Turok EX now being an official supported release we can pay for is pretty big news is it not?

I suppose.

Turok 1 has it's problems with progression and stuff but at least it's really got great enemies and weapons and AWESOME Music.

especially compared to 2, blech.

Was Doom 64 EX or absolution the better of the two?

Absolution is a fan remake, so it's not 100% accurate. Doom 64 EX, on the other hand, is actually just a source port which uses all the original game assets, but with mouse + keyboard controls, support for higher resolutions, and all that other good stuff you'd expect from a PC game.

Absolution is a fan remake, so it's not 100% accurate. Doom 64 EX, on the other hand, is actually just a source port which uses all the original game assets, but with mouse + keyboard controls, support for higher resolutions, and all that other good stuff you'd expect from a PC game.

TY :). I played both and thought both excellent, but one clearly the better of the two. Will play it again.

Better have next gen fog
I think I heard an explanation that if there was no fog you would see levels/geometry folding on top of each other. It was programmed like this due to N64's limitations. If that's really the case it would take a significant reworking and a lot of reprogramming.

I suppose.

Turok 1 has it's problems with progression and stuff but at least it's really got great enemies and weapons and AWESOME Music.

especially compared to 2, blech.

I liked 2, but the levels were all confusing and the absence of quick save ruined this game and made it hard to beat with the save system it had in place.

kogasu

The original Turok games were great. I'll certainly be looking forward to this.

I liked 2, but the levels were all confusing and the absence of quick save ruined this game and made it hard to beat with the save system it had in place.

Agreed. Even though I enjoyed it, I don't think I ever truly finished a level in that game, past the first one, because of how huge and weird the levels can be. Plus, I was young heh. Thank goodness for level skipping cheats.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Mixed feelings. On one hand I more than welcome Turok returning. On the other hand there's no way this held up over time.

Top Bottom