• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: The Xbox One Uncertainty Principle, with a survey

unbias

So I know a lot of us have been wondering where the media is, in terms of talking about the 2 hot issues, and the seeming way the industry has been "playing ball" by letting the Xbox controversy just sit there until E3. Well it seems Kotaku decided to talk about what we know and dont know, and then ask for a little survey. Very good read, honestly, about what all has happened, I highly advise reading the whole thing.

From the Article: http://kotaku.com/the-xbox-one-uncertainty-principle-509582525

Actual Xbox One Confusion

The official Microsoft party line on the day the company revealed the Xbox One: "It does not have to be always connected, but Xbox One does require a connection to the Internet."

I read that sentence on my phone while walking down a hallway toward an interview with Phil Harrison, one of the top executives on the Microsoft team. I asked him what the distinction meant. We published his response. Here it is again:

Harrison: "There are many devices in your life that require the Internet to function... Xbox One is no different in that it requires, at some point in the beginning and at various times through its on state, to connect to our cloud and to our Internet. That is to deliver Xbox Live functionality, that is to deliver download content to you, that is to deliver some of the innovations around TV and entertainment that we showed today. But it doesn’t require it to be online all the time.

For single-player games that don’t require connectivity to Xbox Live, you should be able to play those without interruption should your Internet connection go down. Blu-ray movies and other downloaded entertainment should be accessible when your Internet connection may be interrupted. But the device is fundamentally designed to be expanded and extended by the Internet as many devices are today."

Kotaku: If I’m playing a single player game, do I have to be online at least once per hour or something like that? Or can I go weeks and weeks?

Harrison: I believe it’s 24 hours.

Kotaku: I’d have to connect online once every day.

Harrison: Correct.
I wasn't back to the Spitfire Lounge before a Microsoft PR person told me there was an issue with the interview I'd just done. Something about the connection requirement being different on a case-by-case basis. They'd e-mail me a clarification.

Here's what they e-mailed me:

“It does not have to be always connected, but Xbox One does require a connection to the Internet. We’re designing Xbox One to be your all-in-one entertainment system that is connected to the cloud and always ready. We are also designing it so you can play games and watch Blu-ray movies and live TV if you lose your connection.”
Round and round we went.

The biggest points of confusion have involved whether the console really does require a persistent online connection and whether it blocks used games. Force me to tell you what the truth of all that is and I'd retreat to telling you what I think Microsoft's priorities are.

I believe:

• they want to increase the odds of their customers being online to as close to the point of requiring an online connection as they can, without infuriating their customers and
  • they want to know who is using their games, how and when.
These are the priorities that have been evident for over a year, since we first reported, thanks to our excellent next-gen sources, that Microsoft was exploring some sort of used-game protection. Earlier this year, we reported that the machine had to have a new Kinect plugged in in order to run (proven correct) and, in the same report, indicated that games would have to be installed and only run off the harddrive (correct as well). The signs were increasingly in focus. Microsoft was going to keep tighter control on who played what, where they played it and when.

There was just that one giant thing we struggled to nail down. That was the always-online requirement. We ran a story that had two top sources saying it was real. One was sure the system could only tolerate a player being offline for three minutes and said an online connection was needed to start a game. Others said they'd not heard one way or the other.

This confusion among our sources about this was maddening, and we took some shots for it. It either was or it wasn't always-online. We weren't talking about photons here. There either was a particle or a wave.

It was either always-online or not.

Well... not quite.

It turns out that the detail we were murkiest about was the one Microsoft themselves are the murkiest about.

That is a small snippet of the article, I would advise reading the whole thing, followed by a survey, essentially asking us what is our "price" for having to deal with almost always online and no used/lending games.

The Survey Says!

• Survey Question One: If the Xbox One must use the Internet but can run online, then I will accept an offline gaming mode that lasts as little as ________ hours/days/weeks/months.
  • Survey Question Two: If used Xbox One games must be bought at full price, then I expect Xbox One games to cost no more than ____ dollars.

For me personally(posted this on Kotaku as well), with Survey question one I think it should meet the same length of time I was able to stay offline with steam, 27 days.

With Survey 2, the only way they can justify with me a purchase, with them gutting the 2nd hand market would be to offer up Steam equivalent or better discounts at the same or more regular intervals.

I'm sure they would prefer you to post on their website, but I figured for those who refuse to do so, at least reading the story(clicking the link) and posting your issues here is a fair negotiation.

The more I read about it, the more confusing the online aspect becomes. They may as well just say "it's always online..... sometimes.....". I'm hoping at E3 we get some more clear answers from them

grumble

The more I read about it, the more confusing the online aspect becomes. They may as well just say "it's always online..... sometimes.....". I'm hoping at E3 we get some more clear answers from them

It's actually a great PR way of disseminating bad news.

1. Highlight the positive aspects, bullshit or not instead of directly answering the question.
2. When asked again, answer so vaguely you don't say anything.
3. If pressed, give many different answers so people are confused and don't know what's going on.

Just to be clear here:

Phil Harrison told Tom Brammell one thing.
Phil Harrison spoke to Tolito next, and told him something different.

Also:

Kotaku appears to be doing journalism.

BadWolf

Sounds like they always want you to be online but if you don't want to be then they need you check in with them at least once a day to use the console.

And they are using confusion on topics that they know are big negatives, hoping to decrease the impact that way. The more I read the more it seems that this is being done on purpose. Its way better for them than just coming out and admitting everything.

Akira_83

Banned
i know hes the PR guy and its his job but i hate the diversion tactics BS of "we require connection so we can offer you the best of Xbox Live, and blah blah"

when you know deep down they dont give a shit about offering you anything

its all about the DRM

it would NEVER happen but if microsoft actually just came out and openly said "yeah you know what, we believe in this model of DRM to limit used game sales so it benefits the developers, yadda yadda"

i dont know... just fuckin be honest and id be more open to deciding wether or not its acceptable

unbias

Sounds like they always want you to be online but if you don't want to be then they need you check in with them at least once a day to use the console.

Which means I cant take my xbox to my summer vacation spot, ever, really. For me personally, this would be a deal breaker(combined with not being able to lend games out to friends), considering when me and my friends stay at the cabin, we bring out game systems for when we are just lounging around.

The Xbox One is black. Specifically, I was told that it is liquid black, which, one of the system's designers pointed out to me, is the blackest black.

How much more black could it be? The answer is: none. None more black.

Duster

Their PR has some amazing doublethink “It does not have to be always connected, but Xbox One does require a connection to the Internet"
The power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one's mind simultaneously, and accepting both of them... To tell deliberate lies while genuinely believing in them, to forget any fact that has become inconvenient, and then, when it becomes necessary again, to draw it back from oblivion for just as long as it is needed, to deny the existence of objective reality and all the while to take account of the reality which one denies – all this is indispensably necessary.

As it stands - with everything MS has communicated - I'm 95% certain I want PS4. This gen I had the 360 and was no fan of Sony, by the end - I've done a 360, wanting nothing to do with MS :0/

All of this PR is just horrid for Xbone - it is, it isn't, it is, it sorta is, it kind of isn't - pick a company line and clarify.

Alx

I don't see what's confusing. The key word is "always". You need an internet connection, but not all the time.
Even if it doesn't work the same way, you can also apply that sentence to Steam for example. "It does not have to be always connected" (you can play offline), "but Steam does require a connection to the Internet" (because without a connection, you cannot download/activate a game).

Akira_83

Banned
As it stands - with everything MS has communicated - I'm 95% certain I want PS4. This gen I had the 360 and was no fan of Sony, by the end - I've done a 360, wanting nothing to do with MS :0/

All of this PR is just horrid for Xbone - it is, it isn't, it is, it sorta is, it kind of isn't - pick a company line and clarify.

im with you

ive done a 360 and walked away from MS

Frankly, to me, 24 hours didn't sound so terrible, not for people who would already be owning a powerful home console. I mentioned this to a friend. He said I was in the "bargaining" phase.
KuGsj.gif

Totilo you have a good friend.

I've read the article a few times, and I feel like it seems pretty straightforward that - as it is now - every 24 hours the system will check your licenses, and won't launch any games you don't have access to. They're just dodging the questions with PR smiles and company regurgitation. It's almost like they skipped to defending the system without even completely telling us what the system was.

ironcreed

Banned
Balanced article from Totilo, which is surprising. As for the survey questions? There is no compromise that is acceptable to me, considering how they have handled this. It's beyond insulting and they will not be getting a dime from my end. Seeing as how they can't even all get on the same page with their lines of bullshit after months of dark clouds hanging over their heads from the rumors, it's hard to come away feeling like they deserve some time to iron things out so they can win me over in the end.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
It's so jarring to read Totilo articles- they actually sound like they were written by a real journalist.

Excellent balanced read as always.

Such an about face from Totilo who could barely contain his glee when talking about the new system with Sessler. I guess the outcry against the weak game journalist response to these features has had a positive effect.

unbias

Balanced article from Totilo, which is surprising. As for the survey questions? There is no compromise that is acceptable to me, considering how they have handled this. It's beyond insulting and they will not be getting a dime from my end. Seeing as how they can't even all get on the same page with their lines of bullshit after months of dark clouds hanging over their heads from the rumors, it's hard to come away feeling like they deserve some time to iron things out so they can win me over in the end.

Ya, at this stage of the game I'm pretty much at the same point. I may not completely write them off but no way will I be an early adopter. Unless I can be offline the exact same time as I can with steam and they offer the same deep discounts and just as frequently as steam, I wont be touching it as is.

Yeah it's a pretty good article.

I cannot believe that after all the leaks about used games/online and the internet's reaction that they wouldn't have a clear, unified message on the topic for one-on-one interviews.

unbias

Yeah it's a pretty good article.

I cannot believe that after all the leaks about used games/online and the internet's reaction that they wouldn't have a clear, unified message on the topic for one-on-one interviews.

Only way it makes sense to me is, that the stories are very close to reality, and they are doing damage control, by perhaps adjusting their previous plans, thanks to the leaks.

Survey Question One: If the Xbox One must use the Internet but can run online, then I will accept an offline gaming mode that lasts as little as ________ hours/days/weeks/months.
I'm not happy about any online checks. If PS4 doesn't do this then that's what I'm buying this fall.

Ricker

At this point I think we will know when the console is actually out and someone unplugs the damn thing from the internet completly and tries to play a launch single player game like that for a week,or if it's like Steam(I didnt know that) for more then 27 days lol...because it sounds like during E3, we will still get the runaround.I am getting tired of hearing about this and the whole thing going in circles...

UrbanRats

Survey Question One:
I will not accept a game console that REQUIRES me to be connected at any time of the year. As simple as that.

I am pissed enough with Steam needing a check every 30 days, but that's on PC and at least provides me with an incredible array of advantages.
A closed system like a game console? Fuck off.

Survey Question Two:
I don't buy most of the games i consume at full price.
It is simply not feasible, i will pay a maximum of 4/5 games a year, around 46€, new.
The rest i simply wait for a sale or for the price to go down dramatically.

I very rarely buy used, but the prices on the consoles digital stores are a complete joke, so i'm not holding my breath for them to match Steam, Green Man Gaming and co.

REV 09

The second question and the price of games argument is silly to me considering that almost all games drop in price over time. Therefore, all games have multiple price points that consumers can buy in at. If a game isn't worth 60...just wait till its $20.

(one)eighty

When delivering bad news it's best to make your explanation as murky and unclear as possible. Lessens the blow when the truth is finally made clear.

Nibel

And here's a question for Microsoft to answer:

The benefits to gamers of having an online connection when they play a single-player game is _______ (Note: if the answer is cloud-computing, provide a specific example that's better than whatever the SimCity people said.)

Nm9K1Kb.gif

Okay, this is a great article - good job, Stephen!

So the only positives for the system was kinect and new rumble. And I doubt games will use kinect to react to faces. Why? They're making the same game for PS4 and PC. So it's for exclusives as well. But I look forward to snagging that controller for my PC

Everything else was a trainwreck or confusion. Hell of a reveal MS

Good article. Nice job Totilo.

I'm amazed that after all of the drama leading up to the reveal that MS doesn't have a handle on this thing yet. It seems like they were caught offguard by the backlash. I've said it before but I think they've been operating in an echo chamber for so long where the only news they allow themselves to hear is positive that they've just lost touch with the market and consumers.

UraMallas

I'll answer the poll questions here.

30 days
$50

And, I might up the 30 days requirement because I still think it's shit.

BC, Microsoft. Give me BC through your infinitely powerful clowds.

Edit: Haha. That friend of Totilo's might be right. I might be in the 'bargaining' phase here.

nib95

Banned
Did EA/Sim City devs ever respond to the findings regarding the bullshittery of the cloud computing excuses?

peetfeet

Why do none of these journo's ask this simple question?

If i have no access to the internet at all, for whatever reason, will i still be able to play and install my singleplayer games?

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Greenberg nodded and told me about some stats. They were tracking reaction on social media. They had four times the buzz as Sony's PlayStation 4 event, from what he could tell. Reaction was split, but good: 40% positive, 40% neutral, 20% negative.

Wow.

Alx

Why do none of these journo's ask this simple question?

If i have no access to the internet at all, for whatever reason, will i still be able to play and install my singleplayer games?

You won't.
Since attaching the game to your account lets you play without the disk, they need to make sure that you cannot give away that disk so that somebody else can play offline for free, while you can still play online.

Top Bottom