• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles PS3 has shipped over 1m units worldwide

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I thought this was interesting, thanks to Nyoro.

So I finally read the Famitsu article talking about the remaster...

- Valkyria Chronicles 1 PS3 has shipped over 1 million units worldwide.
- All the DLC for VC1 is included in the PS4 remaster just like the PC version.

However they recommitted to resolutions, and didn't mention framerate, so it's likely the remaster will stay at 30fps, which will be a bummer.

I didn't even know they were remastering this for PS4. It's been on my wish list for a while (never got around to playing it on PS3), so I guess I'll wait for the PS4 version now. It's very interesting that these numbers are revealed now. I wonder what the budget was like and if they made a decent profit on it.

Amazing game. Well deserved. It's also pretty surprising that the Steam version (which I played) sold roughly 550,000 for such a late port of a niche game. I hope the new Valkyria game makes it to more platforms.

Plus the PC version's got over 500k?

1.5 million for a game like this is actually really good and completely deserved. Hope the new one and the remaster do well; really happy to hear those numbers.

Should I play the pc port or wait for the remaster? I much prefer playing games on console but I don't really want to wait a year+

The sales would have been even higher if they gave enough of a fuck to put it on PSN a few years ago.

I would have double dipped on a digital copy and I'm sure lots of other people would have bought it during a PSN sale.

Dremark

Banned
Should I play the pc port or wait for the remaster? I much prefer playing games on console but I don't really want to wait a year+

If you're really concerned I'd say wait but I think most (myself included) are expecting the Remaster to just be a port of the PC version.

Mohasus

The steam sale will start soon, so it will probably be cheaper than the PS4 version.

And the loading times or lack thereof is amazing, depending on your PC of course. Not sure how this will be on PS4 (loading times were horrible on PS3).

1.5 million for a game like this is actually really good and completely deserved. Hope the new one and the remaster do well; really happy to hear those numbers.

I know it specifically says PS3 version but I'm not entirely convinced that that 1M number doesn't include the PC version. After the game initially bombed on PS3 I find it hard to believe they'd end up manufacturing over 1M copies of it.

Nyoro SF

The sales would have been even higher if they gave enough of a fuck to put it on PSN a few years ago.

I would have double dipped on a digital copy and I'm sure lots of other people would have bought it during a PSN sale.

Yeah that was baffling. I think the reason was, Sega refused to patch in trophies, but Sony wouldn't let them place a digital copy on PSN without trophies. It was so weird and to this day I can never fully justify or explain why that never happened. :/

Shipping 1 million is nice, but sell-through is more important. And I think the sell through for this series was very poor. :(

I know it specifically says PS3 version but I'm not entirely convinced that that 1M number doesn't include the PC version. After the game initially bombed on PS3 I find it hard to believe they'd end up manufacturing over 1M copies of it.

Heh, Famitsu pulling a fast one? Unlikely.

Hmm, well even if that's the case, a million itself is still a really good number.

I'm pretty sure Famitsu's being straight-out with their PS3 numbers though. They're good for sales data.

Takao

Banned
Does it explicitly state the PS3 version hit that? The press release seems to mention it originally launched on PS3 in April 2008 and eventually shipped over 1 mil, but because the PC version wasn't launched in Japan they could very well be counting it in that total and not mention it by name.

『戦場のヴァルキュリア』とは、2008年4月にPlayStation 3 用ゲームソフトとして発売し、累計出荷本数が全世界で 100 万本を突破したアクティブ・シミュレーションRPG作品になります。本作『戦場のヴァルキュリア リマスター』では、解像度 1080p のフルHDや当時実装出来なかったトロフィー機能に対応。また発売後に配信された全ダウンロードコンテンツを完全収録しております。まだ本作をプレイされていない方はもちろん、既にプレイされた方も、改めて PlayStation 4で美しく甦る『戦場のヴァルキュリア リマスター』にどうぞご期待ください。
http://www.4gamer.net/games/324/G032499/20151119002/

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

How can you "ship" a digital PC version? :p

Akara

Banned
Game is not exclusive otherwise it would have said only on playstation. I'm calling it and QUOTE MEH!

002.jpg

Dremark

Banned

A lot of people (foolishly IMO) skipped it due to lack of trophies as well. Had they patched those in too that would have helped as well. Considering that Konami of all companies were willing to do that way after MGS4's release and the fact they made them for the PC version I don't think it would have been too much to ask.

Maaaan, can't wait for the PS4 release. More than happy to shell out the cash again.

Yeah I'll gladly drop the cash on this. Despite my annoyance aired above, I love the game and the series. I bought the first game, the second, imported the third got 3 other people I knew to pick the first game up (and they loved it) and countless more online from spreading the word on how good it is.

When the game first came to my attention it wasn't even announced for a US release and it seemed unlikely. It hasn't been the smoothest path but it's great to see that it's gotten a lot of recognition. Even if we never end up getting another proper sequel I want to this to keep going.

ULTROS!

Game is not exclusive otherwise it would have said only on playstation. I'm calling it and QUOTE MEH!

002.jpg

The game was already released on PC and this is basically like a rerelease...

Takao

Banned

002.jpg

#1 That's the box art for the port.
#2 I don't believe Japan uses the "Only on PlayStation" tag.
#3 The new game will probably end up on other platforms.

In their investor reports Sega lists everything they put out as "shipped," even if the game is digital-only.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.

The game was a bomb selling 1 million copies.

It sold pretty poorly at full price, which is why they pushed the series to the PSP. It eventually sold better at heavily discounted prices on the PS3.

If the game sold 1 million copies at $60, it is a gigantic success for its $25 million-ish budget. If the game sold 300,000 at $60 and the other 700,000 between $25 and $50, it was a bomb.

Why would they need to? Almost every Japanese third party game is PS4 exclusive at this point.

Pretty much

Dremark

Banned

002.jpg

Do they put "Only on PlayStation" on the Japanese releases? Also the game is technically on PC already anyway so that might be why. I can't imagine this getting an Xbone release or anything other than maybe Vita. The original game was a 360 exclusive that changed platforms due to the console's performance in Japan.

ULTROS!

In their investor reports Sega lists everything they put out as "shipped," even if the game is digital-only.

If that's the case, shipping 500k units for the PS3 version is still kinda impressive for a Japanese SRPG. Japanese SRPGs are very niche though.

@_@ touche... Nintendo NX ?

lol

Akara

Banned
A million copies is really, really good for a turn-based strategy RGP.

That was after a lukewarm response from Japan and a year later in NA I believe. It's good but if it had done better, I feel like it would've received proper releases on PS3 there after rather than on PSP.

Koobion

One of the games I missed! Will likely play it on PS4 :) It's great that it moved this many units; it's rather niche.

klee123

Not surprised that the PS3 version did 1 million. It didn't do too well initially, but it ended up doing over 200K in Japan and word of mouth in the west probably helped the sales, but obviously not at full price.

That said, hyped for the remake and definitely will buy again for the trophies!

002.jpg

Japan doesn't use the "Only on Playstation" logo on their games. Only Western markets do.

Akara

Banned
The feels when you make a post and think you're all smart and can predict the future and errybody tells you how WRONG you are LOL
635717183297179251-273287604_mulan-face-palm.gif

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Also i think if they launched the anime along side the first game it could have done better.

The anime was a terrible bastardization of the franchise, it had horrible character designs, ruined the characterization of Alicia, Welkin, and others, while added unnecessary drama for the sake of it, and it compressed aspects of the storyline to fit the run time.

Releasing it side by side with the anime would have been a huge disaster.

Dremark

Banned
The steam sale will start soon, so it will probably be cheaper than the PS4 version.

And the loading times or lack thereof is amazing, depending on your PC of course. Not sure how this will be on PS4 (loading times were horrible on PS3).

I'm expecting the PS4 version to be full price in Japan and $40 in the US if it's released so the PC version will probably be cheaper even at full price.

I could have sworn in the thread talking about PC game sales someone said that sales data skeptics were exclusive to PC sales figure threads, guess we've come full circle.

If the game bombed like you're claiming it did I don't understand why they'd make a sequel. Or a US release for that matter, or a PC port. Even if the initial sales figures weren't great the game probably had long legs. It was a new IP so it kind if makes sense it'd take some time to find an audience.

The anime was a terrible bastardization of the franchise, it had horrible character designs, ruined the characterization of Alicia, Welkin, and others, while added unnecessary drama for the sake of it, and it compressed aspects of the storyline to fit the run time.

Releasing it side by side with the anime would have been a huge disaster.

Probably would have helped anyway, i never finished the anime because yeah it was pretty bad. Still cross media stuff usually works out pretty well even if one product is terrible.

Akara

Banned
I'm expecting the PS4 version to be full price in Japan and $40 in the US if it's released so the PC version will probably be cheaper even at full price.

I could have sworn in the thread talking about PC game sales someone said that sales data skeptics were exclusive to PC sales figure threads, guess we've come full circle.

If the game bombed like you're claiming it did I don't understand why they'd make a sequel. Or a US release for that matter, or a PC port. Even if the initial sales figures weren't great the game probably had long legs. It was a new IP so it kind if makes sense it'd take some time to find an audience.

I don't think it was a big bomba I mean it had great legs after a while, I meaan this is why we're getting this riight?

Dremark

Banned
I don't think it was a big bomba I mean it had great legs after a while, I meaan this is why we're getting this riight?

Since all the sales data in these threads is false if you listen to the people posting in these threads, I don't know anymore.

I'm going to say all the sequels, the Remaster and the PC port are all because the anime was so well received, that way I can be wrong in my own unique way and not even have the appearance of being right to confuse people.

Tizoc

If that is the case, I should also note that it sold 500,000 copies within the span of 1 year on Steam.

I should note that last I asked, in Japan at least VC1 shipped or sold 242,000 units, so...where'd those 700,000 units come from ^^;

Both.
PC ver. goes for like $5 regularly, so if you got a capable laptop, you could play the game while on a plane or a train or if you're away from your PS4 and you don't got internet or a Vita.

As per what I wrote above, I'm curious where these 700,000 units shipped came from, unless those are worldwide, I'd be quite surprised if it did so well on PS3 over the past few yeras :)

If that's the case, shipping 500k units for the PS3 version is still kinda impressive for a Japanese SRPG. Japanese SRPGs are very niche though.

Ah in that case, I do think it is strange; I've not seen the PS3 digital ver. show up on either EU or US PSN's monthly ranking thing.

Dremark

Banned
If that is the case, I should also note that it sold 500,000 copies within the span of 1 year on Steam.

I should note that last I asked, in Japan at least VC1 shipped or sold 242,000 units, so...where'd those 700,000 units come from ^^;

[...]

As per what I wrote above, I'm curious where these 700,000 units shipped came from, unless those are worldwide, I'd be quite surprised if it did so well on PS3 over the past few yeras :)

The OP says it's worldwide so that's likely a big part of it. I'd imagine the 242k was just when it was charting in Japan too, but I don't follow sakes figure threads so I could be totally off the mark on that.

Tizoc

The OP says it's worldwide so that's likely a big part of it. I'd imagine the 242k was just when it was charting in Japan too, but I don't follow sakes figure threads so I could be totally off the mark on that.

I was under the assumption that worldwide sold as well as Japan if not less, regardless I'd like a breakdown of the sales/shipments.

Akara

Banned
Most of sales happened at bargain bin prices and VC1 definitly doesn't look like low budget production.

Yeah, I did buy Valkryia Chronicles for $60 and it was worth every little penny. Shame, it's a wonderful game. Thought it would kill it here in the states but I don't think the PR was there. (Also the PS3 price point ouch.)

The only people that know of the sales are Sega at the moment so all our talk is mere speculation. I'm glad it did well enough to grab another chance, but this might be its last. So.... BUY IT ON ANYTHING IF YOU CAN.

Top Bottom