• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warframe is PS4's second most-downloaded app; more free-to-play planned

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
http://www.polygon.com/2014/4/30/5670252/warframe-ps4-more-free-t-play-coming
The most downloaded free app for PlayStation 4 is Netflix. The second-most-downloaded? Free-to-play shooter Warframe.

Digital Extreme's third-person shooter, which launched at the same time as the console, has been downloaded millions of times. Sony won't give out numbers but confirmed that the number is higher than two million. PlayStation 4 has so far sold seven million units.

According to SCEA's VP of publisher and developer relations Adam Boyes, more free-to-play games will be coming to PS4.

"You will see a huge focus from Sony in the next few years on free-to-play stuff because of that good performance," he told Polygon. A Sony spokesperson added that the game is monetizing "at least as well" as free-to-play titles on Windows PC, where the market is more advanced.

I expect most of the SoE games to be released for PS4 at some point. Hopefully this F2P market can also take off on PS4 like it did on PC.

This game changed my mind about the F2P model. It really can work well. I ended up spending $35 on Platinum just to give back to the developers since I spent over 200 hours on the game.

Arrrammis

Warframe is kind of an acquired taste experience. You can use real money to buy new weapons/warframes right away, or you can farm the materials and construct them yourself. It is much more satisfying knowing that you earned the new weapon rather than buying it. The first few hours get boring quickly, as it is a tough learning curse and you can't access much or keep up with the difficulty without grinding for better weapons to continue with. Besides that, Warframe is a very aesthetic game, and encourages good teamwork.

The Devs are great about keeping in touch, so be sure to check out their forums.

The most apt description that I've found for the big picture of the game is a treadmill. This is how the game basically goes:
New Weapon>Grind to level>Leveled up>New Area, Tougher enemies, Rarer Resources>New Weapon... And it repeats itself.

I personally enjoy the game, Definitely work a look if you like slightly excessively violent shooters.

casmith07

Love Warframe. Been traveling for work and the wifi is spotty at best and it's been making me itch for more space ninja adventures with friends.

Can't wait to get back to it.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm glad that the most successful F2P game on PS4 is the one that is able to handle the monetization aspects well. Warframe is definitely far more tolerable than other games like it from that standpoint.

YoungOne

Sony you guys should have a chit chat with sega to see about getting PSO2 on ps4. I can see it doing real well on the system.

Stimpack

Seemed like a tedious grindfest from what I played, and the gunplay/swordplay never really felt... good. I feel the former is typical of Free to Play games, so I guess it's not a huge surprise. I think this is more telling of the lack of content on the PS4 currently, rather than the quality of the game itself.

NeededSleep

Warframe is not bad for what it offers, though I havnt played it since begining of March. It has become my go to grinder with friends while we wait for other game releases.

That's cool. Hopefully more mmos show up on PS4.

Don't really like Warframe much though. I appreciate the unique look, but it also turns me off from the game.

SZips

I've tried Warframe on the PS4 after having played it for bit a while ago on the PC. It's either an entirely different beast than the PC version or the updates (it's been about a year since I last played on PC) have drastically shifted the combat in the game.

I just don't see (nor use) melee much anymore. There used to be a lot of melee going on with the PC version but now on the PS4, there is a lot more gun usage. Melee actually feels sloppy to use. Maybe it's just the switch from mouse+kb to controller. Maybe it's the updates. Maybe it's just me. I'm almost tempted to re-download the PC version now and see how it compares.

Glad to hear it's doing well. They have done a great job of making a F2P game that provides a fair balance between revenue and content access.

Seik

Banned
I don't have any games if we don't count the free PS+ titles I just got today (got my PS4 today as well.), I'll go check it out later tonight or tomorrow.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Where the hell is Planet side 2??
Can't believe we don't have a release date for this yet. Hoping for E3 announcement. PS2 and HAWKEN are the best two F2P games I've played so far.

USC-fan

Banned
I saw a PS4 trailer for H1Z1, I assume this is coming too?

SOE plan to have all games on PS4.

I hope they bring the SOE all access plan. Where you pay for monthly for one game you get all other free.

DCUO, EQnext, PS2 and H1Z1 for $9.99 a month

That could be huge.

David___

Banned
Glad to hear it's doing well. They have done a great job of making a F2P game that provides a fair balance between revenue and content access.

The only problem with the game is that DE has a RNG fetish. If they ever get over that the game can truly expand. But as is, its the best F2P game in terms of MTs.

Blacklight Retribution deserves sales too. Such a fun game, very unobtrusive purchase options.
Have they improved the FPS/connection issues?

WarFrame is a solid game, I could see it being sort of PSO-ish, but the UI and different systems for custimozation and upgrading are so overly complicated and convoluted for the most part. When I am playing the missions it's alright, but once I get to the menus I feel like this:
i-have-no-idea-what-im-doing-dog.jpg

If you need any help with the mechanics you can always stop by the PS4 OT.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=712282

WarFrame is a solid game, I could see it being sort of PSO-ish, but the UI and different systems for custimozation and upgrading are so overly complicated and convoluted for the most part. When I am playing the missions it's alright, but once I get to the menus I feel like this:

Yeah, I didn't even know about cosuming cards and upgrading until the warframe thread explained it.

It definitely could use some UI tutorials. Otherwise, it's pretty good. I wish it felt less grindy tho. Getting to the second planet zone was huge step up in difficulty, and didn't help that the first boss kept bugging out, so it prevents gearing.

belmonkey

I do love me some Warframe particles:

anigif_3_by_xhaglerx-d6lvfal.gif

As for for Planetside 2, we've helped iron out the bugs for the impending PS4 version:

1386355830919.gif

I'm waiting for H1Z1 and Planetside 2, but I honestly can't get past the planet selection screen for Warframe.

One of my friends is literally addicted playing to it; played it 24/7 once

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Planetside 2 could be huge for PS4. There is no other game like this on consoles.

If Everquest Next and H1Z1 come over then PS4 will be that much more awesome.

zoobzone

This is a very mediocre game to me.

I have no idea how my friend grinded his way to 100% all trophies in this game including all update packs.

SnakeEyez

It's OK at best, got pretty bored of it fairly quickly. I hope that's not how Destiny will be like since they do share some similarities.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I'm waiting for H1Z1 and Planetside 2, but I honestly can't get past the planet selection screen for Warframe.

One of my friends is literally addicted playing to it; played it 24/7 once

Yeah, one of my buddies uses his PS4 solely for Warframe. Dude is online constantly. Personally, I'm not able to get into it.

$h@d0w

I'm expecting Smedley to be at Sony E3 and just say - DCUO did great so all our F2P games are in development for PS4.

Korezo

Where's War Thunder? Warframe is my most played ps4 game. Warframe is best when you take breaks from the game here and there because it can get super repetitive.

Planetside 2 was launch, then early 2014, and then first half 2014. Hopefully they stuck with that and its coming real soon.

And what is up with them not releasing War Thunder on the NA store?

Top Bottom