• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHOCKING NEWS: The Witcher 3 may run better on PS4 than Xbox One

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-05-13-the-witcher-3-may-run-better-on-ps4-than-xbox-one
In Poland last week I broached, with CD Projekt co-founder Marcin Iwinski, the delicate matter of whether The Witcher 3 will run better on PS4 than on Xbox One.

There's a chance it will.
"We are still working on squeezing the juice out of the consoles and Microsoft are supporting us in this respect," Iwinski told me. "The final effect, whether it's 720p, 1080p - we had the debate in the studio about it and actually asked our tech guys to explain how it works, and they sent me some complicated graphs that 'if I have this size of the screen, and I sit one meter or two meters from it, then I might be able to see the difference'.

"It's more of a PR differentiation," he added, "which is very important for Sony right now - and they are using it, obviously - than something that is really meaningful to gamers.

"We're definitely working to max out each of the platforms in terms of what we can get, because that's a crucial element of The Witcher. Will there be big differences? Really I don't think so. It's too early to say. If there will be, they will be tiny. It will be more like people talking 'hey, I have this and you have that and this is better'."
they sent me some complicated graphs that 'if I have this size of the screen, and I sit one meter or two meters from it, then I might be able to see the difference'.
iuKbbMoEBv0Ws.gif

Why is this even news at this point? It should only be news worthy of X1 version is superior - PS4 running better is a given now.

Raist

Banned
we had the debate in the studio about it and actually asked our tech guys to explain how it works, and they sent me some complicated graphs that 'if I have this size of the screen, and I sit one meter or two meters from it, then I might be able to see the difference'.

CD Projekt tech guys are former MS "technical fellows" confirmed.

KORNdoggy

lol @ the guy TRYING to make it seem like it's an irrelivant difference...lol.

another to add to the list though. the sooner devs and consumers just accept this the less we'll have to hear about it.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Does anyone think we will ever see a game run better on the XB1?

Kaako

Felium Defensor
they sent me some complicated graphs that 'if I have this size of the screen, and I sit one meter or two meters from it, then I might be able to see the difference'.
He said that on purpose to fuck with GAF. I knows it.

DieH@rd

Banned
Its coming out in Q1 2015 plenty of time to optimize further

There is no optimization that will bridge the gap between two GPUs that have 50% power difference. CDPRed will lower the res on Xbone [1080p>900p] and then it will call the both version of the game "indentical".

CoG

Not even interesting news anymore. Back when the launch games were released and we were waiting on confirmation that the PS4 was indeed more powerful than the Xbox One this was interesting but now a thread should only be warranted if the Xbox version of a game runs better or at least at 1080p.

Kysen

People compare products all the time, just look at android and iOS. Billions being made each year over small spec bumps and people are trying to say the differences between consoles performance don't matter. Heck Apple runs a whole marketing campaign on resolutions alone(retina).

Orayn

Can't say I'm overly surprised, though it's hard to know if this will mean no drops vs. few drops, few drops vs. moderate, unlocked vs. capped at 30, etc.

what is this AF that everybody talks about and why is it important ? Why can One do it but not the PS4 ?

Anisotropic filtering, it makes textures look clearer when they're on a slanted or extended surface.

LYknpJ0.jpg

It's a very cheap effect in terms of performance and PS4 can do it. It's just randomly missing in a handful of games, so people have theorized that there must be something slightly weird about how it's implemented in Sony's tools.

Stare-Bear

Banned
Does anyone think we will ever see a game run better on the XB1?

Only if a developer chooses to downgrade the PS4 version. There is absolutely nothing in the Xbox One that is faster or better then the PS4 (cpu might run 200-300hz faster on Xbox One).

Marcin Iwinski said:
"It's more of a PR differentiation," he added, "which is very important for Sony right now - and they are using it, obviously - than something that is really meaningful to gamers."

This is from the co-founder of a PC development studio?

Do MS have his kids locked in the basement or something?

MauroNL

There is no optimization that will bridge the gap between two GPUs that have 50% power difference. CDPRed will lower the res on Xbone [1080p>900p] and then it will call the both version of the game "indentical".
Dat secret E3 sauce reveal, though.
:p

JayLee

Banned
CD Projekt tech guys are former MS "technical fellows" confirmed.
Posts like this annoy me. You won't even have a fraction of the technical knowledge both parties have. Technical fellows are some of the most industry acclaimed individuals, look them up. The guy who you're insulting created the NT kernel.

I'm happy seeing statements like this with companies being open in specifics like this to gamers. There's bound to be some internet overblown difference in the games.

Top Bottom