• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 Dev on Making a Stand Against Paid DLC

CD Projekt co-founder and joint CEO Marcin Iwiński tells IGN that the developer is releasing 16 free The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt downloadable post-launch content packs to make a statement against the “steeply priced” paid DLC economy.

“Because people just paid full price for our game,” Iwiński responded when we asked why the developer is releasing its next 16 DLC packs for free. “We owe them.”

“Yeah, we are making a statement,” he added. “We, as gamers, would like to be treated this way, 'Hey, give me free DLC.' It doesn't have to be something huge. And I'm saying we aren't giving out huge stuff, we aren't giving tens of hours of storyline here, we are giving small bits of pieces that don't cost a lot. And I think people would feel better about our game, and, so, they will enjoy the adventure even more.

More at the link:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/01...+twitter&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

DJIzana

Something more developers should do. If anything, if you're going to charge for DLC, don't nickel and dime people. Give them meaningful content worth spending the money on. Just means free word of mouth advertising as well. CD Projekt Red, Arenanet and Blizzard do a really great job of providing a great experience for their customers.

erawsd

I think its awesome and its always nice to hear actual industry professionals speaking out against the shitty practices of the major publishers.

Although, honestly, the way their releasing it goes against my play habits. I'm the type of person that finishes a game and won't pick it up again for years; I only recently replayed the EE of Witcher 2.

Karak

..oddly we just did a QA about this yesterday where I said someone was going to do it asap. It just had to happen. Glad to see it being Witcher folks.

Wagram

CDPR is one of the most gamer-consumer friendly developer out there. They give out free DLC, they do several updates, and they give out free definitive edition updates.

I love The Witcher and CDPR.

Their inevitable fall from grace in the eyes of the gaming masses is going to be fucking brutal. I don't know why or when, but CDPR's charming integrity is just screaming to be corrupted.

That's a pretty nice gesture. Really rare.

I also liked what Marvelous did with Half Minute Hero 2 and gave out the DLC to those who bought the game first week on steam (or somewhere around that timeframe).

hW3QgWs.gif

I doubt it will be that much content. Skins and an arena mode or something? I hope I'm wrong.
Knowing CDPR we will get an EE in a year or so, though!

Eusis

I love The Witcher and CDPR.

Their inevitable fall from grace in the eyes of the gaming masses is going to be fucking brutal. I don't know why or when, but CDPR's charming integrity is just screaming to be corrupted.
I know Microsoft's been generally against free DLC so I can see them trying to make them hypocrites here, but then again Microsoft was also more or less winning before, and even if they were to come out on top again among the three platform holders there's still the shadow of F2P or at least constantly updated titles on other systems. It'd probably be easier to just let the market dictate itself at least until it's showing it's in too screwed up of a place: if this stuff seriously costs a lot to develop they WILL naturally want to charge for it and people will be more agreeable to it, while the little things being charged for tend to annoy people and could've been a good way to keep attention to the game/series for people otherwise.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Cd Projekt Red continuing to kick ass. Hearing about plans for a "season" of paid DLC that will cost half as much as the base game before it's even released is always a huge turn off. This is especially true with multiplayer-focused games. I was never particularly interested in Evolve at $60, anyway, but now it's pretty much in "lol" territory. They've got to be joking with that shit.

Nice of them, but paying for DLC isn't implicitly bad. The old "expansion pack" model for PC games is how I'd like to see devs taking it from here on out - you get a big wad of extra content 9-18 months after the base game that costs 15-25 US dollars, and is good value at that price. Extra factions for RTS games, a brand new campaign for single player, stuff like that.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Nice of them, but paying for DLC isn't implicitly bad. The old "expansion pack" model for PC games is how I'd like to see devs taking it from here on out - you get a big wad of extra content 9-18 months after the base game that costs 15-25 US dollars, and is good value at that price. Extra factions for RTS games, a brand new campaign for single player, stuff like that.

Expansion packs are awesome. Unfortunately, DLC is more often than not just a bunch of bullshit concocted in some attempt to retain users and stunt the flow of games being sold back by at least a little bit. Season passes are also obviously a cynical attempt to get more money out of people while the hype is strong at launch. Combine all this crap with pre-order bonuses and it's hard to feel good about the people selling video games.

They aren't really giving out story related content for free. Sound like customization items. I would be happy paying for story dlc though.

Chris1

It's nice that they are giving away free DLC, but paid DLC is fine, as long as it's fairly priced and is worth your money.

COD season pass for example is £35, and the main game is around £40. That pricing is a joke, whereas Mario Kart 8 DLC is priced decently.

Eusis

It's easier to do that today too via digital distribution, but I guess usually either they feel a season pass is the same (it doesn't really FEEL that way in practice), and it's actually reasonable to argue in some instances that, well, why develop that extra content then demand you NEED another game to play it, if it's standalone enough? So we get cases like Infamous First Light that's an additional campaign, highly dependent on original assets, but can be played by itself.

Mifec

Full on expansion packs are a great thing and they offered far more for their price then what DLC does now. So yeah I fully agree with you that I'd love to see that model coming back.

It's only present in RTS now T_T

erawsd

Yeah, I think they are mainly picking on the small scale DLC like skins, weapons, and the small side quests. I don't think its coincidence that the first thing they are giving away is, literally, horse armor. They've said that they would still charge a fee for large scale stuff like a 10-20 hour campaign.

CDProjekt has stated the same in the past, they're against charging for small updates and DLC pieces, not for expansion packs.

iNvid02

they could have just distributed these 16 minor pieces of DLC to retailers as pre-order bonuses, or put them in a few different editions but they didnt, and i appreciate that.

nelchaar

Well said!

misho8723

Banned
Eh, they haven't completely ruled out charging for DLC. It's still possible.

But only for the big ones.. were datadisks in the past for free? No.. so why should CD Projekt Red gave them away for free? And they did say that they are going to charge for only DLCs that are going to be as big as were in the old times datadisks.. I think nobody can have something to say against that

My stance is I will happily pay for content that mandates the cost. Give me more quality story/gameplay and I will pay for it. I won't pay for bullshit. So their stance is refreshing.

As a rule, I don't buy DLC, and never have. It's always felt like bullshit, especially coming from a PC background where maps and mods were always free. I really dislike the fact that paid DLC has become an accepted and even expected thing. Expansions are different, but even then I'm thinking about things like Opposing Force and Brood War, not some bullshit with 2 hours of story missions. Our expectations as gamers have just been continually lowered, and I refuse to participate in that. Good on CD Projekt for harkening back a bit to the goold old days.

m_dorian

I like CDPR, but i am not totally against DLCs. It always depends on what DLCs we are talking about. Civ V DLCs like Gods and Kings and Brave New World had tons of content and i was very happy buying them.
DLC's like Horse armor and such, not so much.

People calling for expansion packs seem to forget that The Lost and Damned and the Ballad of Gay Tony didn't do as well as Rockstar hoped. Now they're making money hand over fist with GTA Online. Expansions are still a gamble if you're not Blizzard imo.

diaspora

I don't think they're opposed to expansion packs that add on hours of additional content at least within the context of the Witcher series. I think it's stuff like weapons, armor, and the like.

Denton

Umm, they agree with you. They have always said that if they would charge, it would be large expansion pack, something with new area, 20 hours of gameplay or some such. But smaller DLCs, like some new quests, equipment etc will be free. Because they like to reward their fans instead of fleecing them (wink wink Ubi/EA/Actard).

Top Bottom