• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Workout-Age: yet another thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
That's right! We need an official workout thread. Post your questions and advices here. How about it?

Here's are two questions I have:

1- I noticed that if I take a shower immediately after working out, as soon as I step out of the shower all the tension in my body is gone, it no longer feels like my muscles went through any exercise a few minutes ago. Is this a bad thing? Should I wait maybe an hour after working out before taking a shower? I get the feeling that keeping the tension-feeling on my muscles might help making them stronger, and by taking a shower right after working out I'm basically relaxing them to the point where it may take away from the benefits of the workout I just went through. Right? Wrong?

2- Is it normal that when I wake up the next day I usually no longer feel any tension in my body from the previous night's workout session (unless I overdid it or if I exercised muscles I hadn't in a while)? Sometimes it will be almost EXACTLY 24 hours after the exercises that I will "feel it" in me, usually warning me to workout another part of my body rather than the same one. So is the lack of tension the next day normal, and is it normal to feel it only 24 hours later?

Thanks, and let's make this an helpful thread for all.

EDIT: Good site for workout routines, with animated gifs and good explanations: http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

Ether_Snake said:
That's right! We need an official workout thread. Post your questions and advices here. How about it?

1- I noticed that if I take a shower immediately after working out, as soon as I step out of the shower all the tension in my body is gone, it no longer feels like my muscles went through any exercise a few minutes ago. Is this a bad thing? Should I wait maybe an hour after working out before taking a shower? I get the feeling that keeping the tension-feeling on my muscles might help making them stronger, and by taking a shower right after working out I'm basically relaxing them to the point where it may take away from the benefits of the workout I just went through. Right? Wrong?

2- Is it normal that when I wake up the next day I usually no longer feel any tension in my body from the previous night's workout session (unless I overdid it or if I exercised muscles I hadn't in a while)? Sometimes it will be almost EXACTLY 24 hours after the exercises that I will "feel it" in me, usually warning me to workout another part of my body rather than the same one. So is the lack of tension the next day normal, and is it normal to feel it only 24 hours later?

1. That's completely normal. When you work out, you will tighten your muscles. When you shower, the warm water relaxes your muscles and really loosens them up. It doesn't hurt your work out or anything, it's just what happens. It's actually good to loosen up after a work out.
2. Yes, that is normal. Also keep in mind that different muscles recover at different rates too. Unless you've really worked something into the ground, or you're beginning lifting weights after a long break, you won't feel too sore the next day. It's really nothing to worry about.

negitoro7

Q:
If I work out twice a week currently and doing squats and chest on one day, and deadlifts and back on the other day, which of those days should I be including power cleans if I want to include them in my program?

Chiggs

Gold Member
negitoro7 said:
Q:
If I work out twice a week currently and doing squats and chest on one day, and deadlifts and back on the other day, which of those days should I be including power cleans if I want to include them in my program?

I know this isn't the answer you're looking for, but "add a third day."

xsarien

daedsiluap
No, seriously, we do this like twice a month. There HAS to be a previous thread on this very topic that can help you.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Cool thanks. I used to do calf raises every day and then stopped for months. I did some yesterday and just getting up from sitting down felt like my calves were hurting. Yet I did very few raises. But as for my arms I work them out every day and don't feel much pain the next day.

Another question: I know how to build up my biceps and triceps, but what about making my upper arms "thicker"? Right now I'm seeing results for my biceps and triceps, but if I stand in front of a mirror with my arms straightened out and with my biceps facing frontward my upper arms look thin. Do I just need to keep on building the triceps to beef up the width of my upper arms? Or is it moreso related to the biceps? My biceps just don't seem to be getting thicker, only bigger when I flex my arm.

Now I'm curious to know if its good or bad to try to workout every part of the body all at once.

My regime usually consists of taking a class at my gym-- normally a cardio (cycling, urban rebounding, steps) then follow it up with weights.machines targeting chest, arms, legs, abs.

or I'll try to take a class that'll work strength and cardio-- like a bootcamp class-- but I never really understood why people target one body part at a time-- is that suppose to be better in terms of working out?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
xsarien said:
No, seriously, we do this like twice a month. There HAS to be a previous thread on this very topic that can help you.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/search.php?searchid=1557840

Doesn't look like they're official enough. Unless Gaffers are must lazier than they should be and there is a much smaller number of people who workout here than I thought.

courage201 said:
Now I'm curious to know if its good or bad to try to workout every part of the body all at once.

My regime usually consists of taking a class at my gym-- normally a cardio (cycling, urban rebounding, steps) then follow it up with weights.machines targeting chest, arms, legs, abs.

or I'll try to take a class that'll work strength and cardio-- like a bootcamp class-- but I never really understood why people target one body part at a time-- is that suppose to be better in terms of working out?

I remember being told to workout the abs every day, but workout the arms and shoulders one day, then the torso and back the next, and legs the next.

Sounds good to me. Plus some rest time in between.

Mikazuki

Army death height crane group location world
Try taking contrast showers. Get the water as cold as possible for about 30 seconds a couple times. You'll feel amazing. Plus it's been proven to speed up recovery and even improve general health.

With the realization that I'll be seeing my friends back in Japan in less than 2 months, for the past week I've started doing nightly sets of push-ups and sit-ups/crunches. When time permits, I normally get to the gym about once a week to run 1 to 1.5 miles and do a circuit on the weight machines. I'd let it slack lately, though, so I'm having to ease my way back into it again. =P

So, any tips for losing the slight programmer's spare-tire and building some muscle/tone in short order would be most appreciated.

courage201 said:

A lot of workout routines revolve around working on different muscle groups separately -- splits. This is done so muscle groups receive the rest they need. There is no ideal way of doing this; in the past, it was very popular to focus on isolating muscles themselves and focusing on a small group of muscles nearly every day of the week, and it still is somewhat popular. There are also workouts that focus more heavily on compound movement and generalize the splits into upper and lower body. Whichever you choose, the reasoning is the same: we aren't superheros, and no one's body can take a constant pounding every day, everywhere. Rest is one of the most important aspects of increasing fitness, and it's often overlooked.

By the way, it's usually a good idea to do weights before cardio. This is because you will be able to lift heavier before cardio than after, and your strength progress will be faster. However, if cardio is your goal, then weights afterwards might not be a bad idea. You might want to start splitting up your lifts, though.
With the realization that I'll be seeing my friends back in Japan in less than 2 months, for the past week I've started doing nightly sets of push-ups and sit-ups/crunches. When time permits, I normally get to the gym about once a week to run 1 to 1.5 miles and do a circuit on the weight machines. I'd let it slack lately, though, so I'm having to ease my way back into it again. =P

So, any tips for losing the slight programmer's spare-tire and building some muscle/tone in short order would be most appreciated.
My advice to you would be to eat at a calorie deficit of 300 calories a day while doing light cardio 4 - 5 days of the week and lifting heavy 2 - 3 days of the week. This will maximize fat loss, minimize muscle loss, and you will increase your strength (although you won't increase your muscle mass because you will be eating at a deficit, so your gains will come from increased motor unit recruitment).

Chiggs

Gold Member
Cheesemeister said:

Sounds like you're doing a decent job as it is. Maybe dump the machines for free weights?

Pazuzu

Banned
Cheesemeister said:

It sounds stupid, and people say it all the time, but diet and exercise.

For a few weeks, try to cut out beer (stick with liquor on ice), cut out soda, try to drink as much water as possible (it's impossible to drink too much), and at least do something everyday, if you can't go running, just do some situps and push ups at home.

Finding what works for you, and making it part of your schedule is key, otherwise you'll just fall out of it.

I hate gyms, and I hate working out, but I've found my routine. I like to play basketball, I like to go running, and I like to beat on the heavy bag. So I try to at least do 1 of those a day, though lately I've been doing all 3 everyday.
And then smoke a fatty as my reward watching Family Guy or something

Maybe I'm going too far, but now water is my breakfast, fruit is my lunch, and I try to to eat as little as possible for dinner. That's actually backwards from the normal advice, but it's worked great for me, it's now my schedule, and I've been losing weight and gaining muscle and feeling awesome everyday.

cryptic

I'm doing 120 sit-ups, 100 push-ups, and 100 squats in less time than an hour.

Should I slow down, despite me doing these according to instructions from "professionals"?

Ether_Snake said:
Cool thanks. I used to do calf raises every day and then stopped for months. I did some yesterday and just getting up from sitting down felt like my calves were hurting. Yet I did very few raises. But as for my arms I work them out every day and don't feel much pain the next day.

Another question: I know how to build up my biceps and triceps, but what about making my upper arms "thicker"? Right now I'm seeing results for my biceps and triceps, but if I stand in front of a mirror with my arms straightened out and with my biceps facing frontward my upper arms look thin. Do I just need to keep on building the triceps to beef up the width of my upper arms? Or is it moreso related to the biceps? My biceps just don't seem to be getting thicker, only bigger when I flex my arm.
Bicep width is almost entirely based on genetics. Continue doing what you are doing as long as you see results.

BoboBrazil said:
Anyone here take creatine. I've been thinking of taking creatine pills to help put on muscle mass...
It's pretty much universally agreed on that creatine monohydrate in micronized powder form is better than a pill. Go to bodybuilding.com and get some of the $20 for 1000g creatine monohydrate. To my knowledge the brand doesn't really matter (as creatine is just a molecule) as long as it is micronized.

I was gonna do the pills just for ease and quickness of taking them, versus making a drink or shake...Is there really that much difference?

Pazuzu said:
Maybe I'm going too far, but now water is my breakfast, fruit is my lunch, and I try to to eat as little as possible for dinner. That's actually backwards from the normal advice, but it's worked great for me, it's now my schedule, and I've been losing weight and gaining muscle and feeling awesome everyday.

There's no way you're gaining muscle on a water and fruit diet. You're losing fat, which makes you appear for cut, but you aren't gaining muscle. On a diet like that, you're losing lean body mass, no two ways around it unless you're a superhero. Maybe you've discovered a new law of thermodynamics.

Should I slow down, despite me doing these according to instructions from "professionals"?
What is your goal in doing these exercises? I don't see how doing them in less than an hour would be of detriment. If anything, doing them all quickly would be a good thing. But doing weighted exercises would be even better.

BoboBrazil said:
I was gonna do the pills just for ease and quickness of taking them, versus making a drink or shake...Is there really that much difference?
I'm not sure how big of a difference is in terms of effect. In terms of price per gram, the pills are substantially more expensive (if that even matters to you).

YYZ

I do full body workouts every other day (or at least try to hit that schedule). I do a chest exercise, shoulder, leg (but I've cut back on the leg do to my summer labour job), abs, and chinup/pullups.

Ogni-XR21

Pazuzu said:
For a few weeks, try to cut out beer (stick with liquor on ice), cut out soda, try to drink as much water as possible (it's impossible to drink too much), and at least do something everyday, if you can't go running, just do some situps and push ups at home.

I know you didn't mean it this way but it IS POSSIBLE to drink too much!

Ok, here is my question: I go running 3 times a week and swimming 2 times a week, sometimes I will do some sit-ups and push-ups before I go running. I go running on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays and swimming on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I had an argument with a co-worker, he said I need to take a break during the week, since 5 days in a row would be too much. Should I take a break during the week too?

If you're taking creatine, just mix it with a protein shake.

I've kept up with exercise philosophy for a while even though I haven't been to the gym in forever, and only run every once in a while - although I'm kinda just waiting for school to start to try it all again. My back kills me at times though, along with my neck - but I'm sick of it and I'm just going to bite the bullet and strap on my back brace, and use loads of Bengay to keep me going until I can get some decent insurance for a chiropractor to fix me.

Pazuzu

Banned
OpinionatedCyborg said:
There's no way you're gaining muscle on a water and fruit diet.

Well I have been getting alot stronger and increasing my endurance alot too, but yeah, maybe I'm just toning what was hiding behind the years of beer intake. :D

tombur

cryptic said:

Slow it down a bit. I personally do my sit ups and push ups rather slow (1 second to go up, 3 to come down), and it works much better for me than just doing straight sets of fast situps. Also, the momentum you get from doing sit ups fast actually makes them easier. Try it slow for push ups and sit ups, not sure about squats though

Pazuzu

Banned
Ogni-XR21 said:

Hah, yeah that's true. I should have remembered after that Wii contest. But that's ridiculously rare.

Ogni-XR21 said:
Ok, here is my question: I go running 3 times a week and swimming 2 times a week, sometimes I will do some sit-ups and push-ups before I go running. I go running on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays and swimming on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I had an argument with a co-worker, he said I need to take a break during the week, since 5 days in a row would be too much. Should I take a break during the week too?

I would say no, unless you're body just can't take it. But I learned everything I know about working out from Rocky I-IV :D

cryptic said:

depends if you are just trying to keep fit, or push your limits.

I think thats a decent enough amount if you are pretty fit.

I used to do around 150-200 sit ups and 200 press ups in one sitting every night before I went to bed. Now i tend to do less reps and harder excercises: one arm push ups, planche pushups (hard, can only do a max of 6 so far).

Anyway, Im not the person to give technical advice...Ive always been fit, and am more in the push my limits bracket/get strong, rather than just keeping fit

cryptic

tom- I haven't had time lately to put aside and do them slow lately, but I'm putting together a schedule that should give me more time.

cyborg- I'm not sure about this, but I remember being told that weight lifting would affect my speed in terms of boxing. So I avoid that and simply refine.

Ogni-XR21 said:

Actually I would definitely take a break mid week or so...just to rest your body. I generally just run twice a week...but I space them quite far apart...Usually something like 6 miles on a monday, ten miles on a friday. I dont do much swimming though so Im not sure how best to train that

Anybody do planche training stuff here?

This is a planche:

Planche%20final.JPG

this ones only alright...it has a lot of scope for developing muscles, breathing control etc. You can practice transitions as well. Press ups are tough as well, but at least it feels pretty advanced

Nolan.

nelsonroyale said:
Actually I would definitely take a break mid week or so...just to rest your body. I generally just run twice a week...but I space them quite far apart...Usually something like 6 miles on a monday, ten miles on a friday. I dont do much swimming though so Im not sure how best to train that

Anybody do planche training stuff here?

This is a planche:

Planche%20final.JPG

this ones only alright...it has a lot of scope for developing muscles, breathing control etc. You can practice transitions as well. Press ups are tough as well, but at least it feels pretty advanced

I might try that planche thing would go well with the training i'm about to change to.

Ginko

nelsonroyale said:
seems good...I do stretching and some strength before bed
I thought it was ok too. But I wondered if I'm getting the full benefit of my workout. I don't know but I feel that I'm only getting 50% or so when I workout at that late hour. Some health info on the matter would help.

I tried adjusting the time but in the end this is the most suitable for my schedule.

Nolan.

Ginko said:
I thought it was ok too. But I wondered if I'm getting the full benefit of my workout. I don't know but I feel that I'm only getting 50% or so when I workout at that late hour. Some health info on the matter would help.

I tried adjusting the time but in the end this is the most suitable for my schedule.

Maybe when you go to approach your work out you're already slightly exhausted from the days activities or subconsciously thinking about getting to bed soon.? I think you usually know when you've pushed your limits with a workout beause you just feel like you're just shattered and it's a chore to even raise whatever parts you've worked. That said your body is probably used to whatever routine it is that you're doing. If it's that just switch it up.

Ginko

Nolan. said:
Maybe when you go to approach your work out you're already slightly exhausted from the days activities or subconsciously thinking about getting to bed soon.? I think you usually know when you've pushed your limits with a workout beause you just feel like you're just shattered and it's a chore to even raise whatever parts you've worked. That said your body is probably used to whatever routine it is that you're doing. If it's that just switch it up.
I heard and read that a couple of times, actually.

I'll probably just stick to it since I've been doing it for more than 2 months now (this time slot). Hopefully, my body got/will get used to it.

Thanks guys.

Ether_Snake said:

1) No it isn't a bad thing. Warm water and warm temperatures will increase blood flow. Personally, I go to the steam room and the sauna for about 15-20 minutes after the workout is done to relieve the tension.

2) Its fine. It works with me and some lifts. Some days, my bodypart is so sore so that regular movement is damn near impossible (legs). Some days, I get mild discomfort or no pain at all. I still see gains in size and strength though, regardless of how sore I feel the next day or the day after.

Ginko said:

I would say press ups/stretching etc yes...but weights not so much. I dont do them anymore, but when I did, it was fine doing them a couple of hours before sleep. Say 10 or so

Nolan.

nelsonroyale said:
I would say press ups/stretching etc yes...but weights not so much. I dont do them anymore, but when I did, it was fine doing them a couple of hours before sleep. Say 10 or so

Ah so you're into the whole own body strength thing aswell right.? I'm asking because I recently stopped with the weights to see if i'd rather that way.

lil smoke

Banned
getting tired of the same routine in the gym? Heres one way to alter you workout. Do the same excersizes, but focus on the "release" of the weight rather than the "push". The release is a different muscle group...might as well kill 2 birds with one stone.

For ex.
Bench press. Burst weight up quickly, then take 5 secs to lower the weight back to your chest. This incorporates shoulders.

Curls. Focus on the release. Slowly squeeze biceps as you uncurl, keeping perfect form. I think this works the triceps. Working triceps makes biceps appear bigger.

Pec Fly... great opportunity. Hold the mid-position (elbows close) for a few seconds and squeeze. Focus on releasing slowly. Don't grip the handles, keep the palms open. The release is for the (trapezius?)

Leg Press, Squat. You should be releasing slowly anyways on leg exercizes!

Pull ups... you get the picture. I think you'll get upper back on the release.

It's amazing. You can do it with almost any routine. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

yacobod

Banned
lil smoke said:
getting tired of the same routine in the gym? Heres one way to alter you workout. Do the same excersizes, but focus on the "release" of the weight rather than the "push". The release is a different muscle group...might as well kill 2 birds with one stone.

For ex.
Bench press. Burst weight up quickly, then take 5 secs to lower the weight back to your chest. This incorporates shoulders.

Curls. Focus on the release. Slowly squeeze biceps as you uncurl, keeping perfect form. I think this works the triceps. Working triceps makes biceps appear bigger.

Pec Fly... great opportunity. Hold the mid-position (elbows close) for a few seconds and squeeze. Focus on releasing slowly. Don't grip the handles, keep the palms open. The release is for the (trapezius?)

wow this post is all kinds of wrong :lol

ummmm this is called "negative" training

curls work your biceps, not your triceps, working the negative portion of the lift still works your biceps, if you want to hit your triceps you would be better off doing skull crushers, close grib bench press, dips, push downs, etc etc

working the negative of your bench still works your chest, while the bench press does work your chest, shoulders, and triceps, working the negative isnt "shoulder" work

db flys for your chest dont work your traps, guess what they work...........chest, if you want to hit your traps do shrugs or deadlifts

lil smoke said:

For ex.

Leg Press, Squat. You should be releasing slowly anyways on leg exercizes!

Pull ups... you get the picture. I think you'll get upper back on the release.

It's amazing. You can do it with almost any routine. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
This isn't necessarily a bad idea because it improves explosiveness and is similar to the physical nature of many sports (think football), but all the muscles you mentioned get worked normally, regardless of how quickly you move the bar up or bring it down.

The bench press, for example, requires the anterior deltoids (the front head of the shoulder muscle), pecs, triceps, etc. regardless of how you move the bar.

If anyone here does a program for a couple months and they're looking for a way to change it up and continue to see results, I would suggest undulating periodization. Basically, as you near plateaus, you change the number of reps you're doing to adjust the workout. The workouts remain challenging, but in a way that prevents your body from ever fully adapting to the stimulus. This is how you can achieve as much improvement as possible.

As others have mentioned, t-nation is a resource you should check into if you're interested in training intelligently. It's not all focused on bodybuilding either; sport-specific articles are plentiful. I've read a few, and they should be useful to many people.

Nolan. said:
Ah so you're into the whole own body strength thing aswell right.? I'm asking because I recently stopped with the weights to see if i'd rather that way.

exactly...I cant stand weights anymore...Ive been doing breakdancing/bboying for quite a long time and martial arts etc before that...there are alot of strong peeps involved with the dance and stuff like gymnastics too...you can do some pretty intense excercises that way anyway...other stuff is dynamic tension stretching...alot of martial arts do it and it is basically to do with tensing muscles when breathing in and out and pushing in and outwards with your muscles.

I have a pretty balanced fitness outlook through sports and training....personally I despise body building stuff etc...these guys might be able to lift weights but they have very little practical application. I prefer applicable strength...so Id rather follow gymnastic/martial arts/yogic style training...than some of the bodybuilder method stuff...just find it corny...Ive always found strenth an incredibly easy thing to train...stretching and flexibility can be very tough though

lil smoke

Banned
yacobod said:
wow this post is all kinds of wrong :lol

ummmm this is called "negative" training

negative training. That's the word I was looking for!

I dunno. I feel like I'm engaging different muscles when I focus on the release.

Do an "air" curl and grab your bicep area with the free hand. Don't you feel that your tricep tightens if you squeeze and release slowly? If you just simply return to position, it kinds feels normal. Same with anything. I feel more tension from other areas when I completely focus on the release. I didn't make it up, I got that tip in Men's Health. I just can't reference the article.

Hey maybe it's all wrong, but it certainly works for me! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom