• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS+ a Better Value than XBL Gold?

People keep stating this, and quoting "free games" as the reasoning, this irks me.

The games are not free, nor are they yours, you are paying $50 a year to rent them, what else does PS+ really give you?

Microsoft is also giving away "free games" and I get to keep them regardless of if I am still gold, and people talk like this is something that MS hasn't done before, albeit they are arcade games and there is substantially less in terms of volume, but you get to keep the games and the fact of the matter is that I paid to play online, not to rent some games, so they are literally perks rather than the main reason for subscription.

And finally I ask, Do you think the quantity of games available will remain unchanged into the next generation, when the main focus becomes on paying for the online pay, rather than renting games?

Gold doesn't even come close to what PS+ has to offer.

This was the E3 sale:

i6cZ1NTAEmvrT.png

IGC June 2013
8975999184_8566aca932_z.jpg

PS+ games of the last year

39N3OaS.png

What were you saying? You got Assassins Creed 2 for free?

Sendou

I'd rather rent X-Com, Uncharted 3, Catherine, Shadow of Colossus HD, Ico HD, Uncharted Golden Abyss, Demon's Souls, Retro City Rampage etc. than own Halo 3 and Assassin's Creed 2.

Chavelo

XBL Gold's free games thing is only lasting until December. Instant Game Collection will stick around. Also, please do remember that XBL's offer just went live, while PSN Plus had the games for a while now.

But yeah, try to make yourself feel better by making threads like these. :D

Eusis

Microsoft is also giving away "free games" and I get to keep them regardless of if I am still gold, and people talk like this is something that MS hasn't done before, albeit they are arcade games and there is substantially less in terms of volume, but you get to keep the games and the fact of the matter is that I paid to play online, not to rent some games, so they are literally perks rather than the main reason for subscription.
This is only for the next 6 months, and if you grabbed a PS+ game it never disappears for you even when delisted.

Let's take another view though: PS+ is online play + gaming Netflix. XBL is online play + the privilege to use Netflix. That for the next six months happens to have a promo deal to get a bunch of free digital games.

The big difference being the games you're getting from MS are many, many years old while PS+ usually gives out shit that is a few months old.

Jomjom

Banned
Sure the 6 year old games are yours to keep. I'll take way newer games for as long as I have the subscription, which doesn't matter because why would I ever cancel my sub with games this good?

Also, you obviously don't know about the Steam like sales PS+ members get. XBL Gold sales are on par with what regular, non-PS+ members get.

Lastly, I gave Assassin's creed 2 to a friend for free without him even paying me a subscription fee.

MogCakes

Discounts, free games every month (not to own, but so long as you are subscribed they are yours to play whenever you want, so it's more like a rental service). The XBLG free games are only until December, and so far they've been old games. You're probably irked because it's true: PS+ is just a better value than XBLG, period.

I really don't give a shit about not owning a game that I already beat. So yeah, psn provides far more value. XBLG isn't even close.

PS+ is rather incredible. There are a lot of games that I would not have even tried out had it not been for them being free and this led me to buying more games at retail.

We haven't heard any word of what changes if any are going down with Gold for next gen so its pretty early to tell.

If the XBone supports far more dedicated server scenarios than Sony they may both balance out for my purposes. But again, its too early to tell.

I'm not aboard the PSN+ is all good things in the universe train though.

It isn't just free games, you also get some pretty great discounts on many titles. Also I believe MS said that they will only be giving away games until the Xbox one comes out, while offering 2 very old games. PS+ in the last year has offered games that have been out less than 12 months, and a huge quantity of them per month.

The value is more any way you slice it, on top of not feeling like you MUST pay for the service in order to use netflix, the internet browser, and many other media apps/services.

Lingitiz

PS+ is a great value proposition if a PS3 is all you have. I have a PC, so most of the games they give me are pretty useless. I don't really have any interest in playing BF3 or Saints Row 3 on PS3.

Gold has not really offered anything to me besides cross game chat, so that's even worse.

ultron87

Well now that they both have "play online" as part of their feature list PS+ is certainly a better value.

Before this came to pass one could argue Gold was a better value depending on how much value one might place on playing online Xbox 360 games.

joe2187

Banned
even if you're really just renting them, it's still a better offer than XBGOLD.

I get tons of discounts on games I want to buy and own, plus they give me options to play any games on their free lists.

If you own a vita and buy a PS+ sub you're practically awarded for buying the damn device with the PS+ sub

Yes, it is.
-Free games and avatars
-Great discounts
-Early access to certain games (Journey comes to mind)

I saved easily $30 or more with the PS+ discount, so yeah I think it's a great deal.

Only on Xbox.

But yes, I think right now PS + is a much better value. Hopefully that won't change. Though I do think it will go through some growing pains on the PS4, as the library's obviously starting out small. But if you have a PS3, Vita, and PS4, it will continue to be a great value.

People keep stating this, and quoting "free games" as the reasoning, this irks me.

The games are not free, nor are they yours, you are paying $50 a year to rent them, what else does PS+ really give you?

And finally I ask, Do you think the quantity of games available will remain unchanged into the next generation, when the main focus becomes on paying for the online pay, rather than renting games?

1) The games are only till the end of this year and for only 360 unlike + which is for PS4,3 and V

2) The games are 5+ years old, unlike PS+ plus games which can be as recent as 6 months ago

3) PS+ gives you more games

4) PS+ is cheaper and has discounts

So yes PS+ is better.

This definitely worries me greatly.

But it's no contest. It's simply smarter to invest in PS+ this generation than not to.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I will eat a truck full of crow if MS starts giving games as good as DX:HR, Saints Row 3, or Vanquish. Until then, lol no. Why do you want to keep games like ACII when they've been bargain titles for years now?

sunnz

If SONY can get there vision to become a reality ( use gaikai to demo pretty much EVERY game available), it could be HUUGE even if it is only streamed to your console and that would add A LOT to PS+ too.

PS+ as it currently is, offers a lot of value and is more than worth it. Even if the games it has are those you are not that interested it, it still gives you a chance to try out these games and for all you know, you could really enjoy them.

Soler

Banned
Ps plus has saved me more money than the subscription fee
That's what matters
MS bars third party applications behind a pay wall

Andrefpvs

Do you have PS+, OP? If you did, I don't think you'd be making this thread.

Consumer satisfaction over 95% isn't just PR bullshit. Take a look at the PS+ thread on GAF. People LOVE the service.

Yeah man. I am pretty sure the "renting" value of all the games you get from plus is 1000x more valuable then copies of Halo 3 and Ass Creed 2.

Discounts, free games every month (not to own, but so long as you are subscribed they are yours to play whenever you want, so it's more like a rental service). The XBLG free games are only until December, and so far they've been old games. You're probably irked because it's true: PS+ is just a better value than XBLG, period.

No I am irked because this has never really been explained in posts.

I feel that sony will move the focus of PS+ to be paying for online.

Splint

Renting for a whole year or possibly renewing and keeping them for 2+ years aint too bad for me. Plus, we keep the discounted ones we buy. Free avatars / themes that we also keep but those usually are crappy, the good ones usually only discounted. Apparently now they are doing the exclusive early beta access only for Plus. Cloud saves...

It's wayyyyyyyy better value. Literally every single game other than Persona 4 that I played on my Vita I got for free on PS+. Also I've gotten lots of PS3 games from there. And tons of discounts on other stuff I bought.

I don't expect them to match the PS3 instant game collection because they have to build a backlog first, but I got no doubts they'll try to retain the same value until they do build a library.

Top Bottom