• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Yakuza Series Starter Guide

N.B - Please bear in mind this is a participatory thread; I have laid everything out so that people can discuss each game and give beginners some options on where to start and what to do. The OP below explains in more detail. I hope you enjoy and find this thread helpful.

76f6d44c922db44eed2628251694c32b.png

Hey all,

So this thread is a guide for any newcomers to the Yakuza franchise (including me) who have never played a Yakuza game before and feel so overwhelmed. It's going to be a participation thread with Yakuza fans helping each other and new people with tips and tricks on where to start (a bit different to the community thread) and I was actually inspired by this thread to do so. By doing this however, I can allow all opinions/helpful tips to be concentrated here.

It's a bit odd for me to do this considering I have never played a Yakuza game before, but actually, the thread started off with me asking on where to start, after researching all the Yakuza games and spin-offs but feeling overwhelmed. As a result, I thought I could turn it into something more inclusive, productive and helpful as a starting point with all Yakuza games shown so that people know what they can or cannot play, thereby not just helping me but other gaffers too. I hope you can see where I am coming from
I also spent my whole Saturday doing this thread and putting all the pictures/fonts/titles/editing stuff etc, so I hope this thread doesn't go to waste either :p!

Why am I suddenly becoming interested you ask? Well in the light of the very recent Yakuza 6 gameplay footage and Yakuza 0 localisation announcement, both targeting a 2016 release, my interest peaked quite a bit for the Yakuza franchise. I downloaded Yakuza 4 from PS+ earlier this year, but haven't gotten round to it, simply because I have too many games to play at the moment, and I don't know whether I should play the previous ones too. I own a PS3 and a PS4 so the PS2 versions are a no go for me.

So I did a lot of research Yakuza series including the main series entries, the spin-offs, and portable games, and whilst it was overwhelming at first, I finally got my head around the franchise, even the ones released only in Japan. So here are all of them and hopefully this well aid you guys in telling me where to start and which games to purchase or avoid if necessary.

On a side note, I also noticed that the games have 1 year development cycles (with the exception of Yakuza 5) and are released annually if they are on the same consoles. However, if the next game is being made on the next succeeding next-gen console, they are on 3 years development cylcles and so the games are released 3 years apart e.g. Yakuza 1 and 2 released 2005 and 2006 on PS2, but Yakuza 3 on the PS3, was released in 2009, which means it was on a 3 year cycle. The same rings true for Yakuza 5 on PS3 to Yakuza 0 PS4 with a 3 year cycle for the next generation console.

Localization gaps were typically 1 year, with the exception of Yakuza 2 which took 2 years, and Yakuza 5 which took 3 years (mainly due to SEGA's reluctance to localize it in the west after being unhappy with the performance of Yakuza 5). However, because of the success of the PS4 in the West, we can hopefully infer that SEGA will be willing to release both Yakuza 6 and hopefully Yakuza Kiwami in 2017 at the very latest.

7bb0655df0a3036d81cd7cd4f67cfd5c.png

884f6bf8fe6b5cc3b62792a286059054.png

• Yakuza 1

Platform(s) PlayStation 2
    Original Japanese Release Date December 2005
    Western Release Date September 2006

c4f86ea11a1077a33d5821b98d2c64f8.png

befedb592a981f0c0fc3b7492dddd268.png

• Yakuza 2

Platform(s) PlayStation 2
    Original Japanese Release Date December 2006
    Western Release Date September 2008

ea3d1a6d22b9761d664bdad4d6c0b0e7.png

d66319fe6c98b520319625f586f7e8bb.jpg

• Yakuza 3

Platform(s) PlayStation 3
    Original Japanese Release Date February 2009
    Western Release Date March 2010

3f5a7ba22a457249c49b327eb3d34949.png

b6716e776fb287a07d3800506a41f6d4.png

• Yakuza 4

Original Japanese Release Date March 2010
    Western Release Date March 2011

4027bae23bfadc6b5d9b9179ede61b6c.png

Yakuza_4_cover.jpg

• Yakuza 5

Original Japanese Release Date December 2012
    Western Release Date December 2015

182edf82401dfea0954138c7255c1765.png

yakuza-5-ps3-japanese-ckmultimedia-1212-10-ckmultimedia@1.jpg

• Yakuza 0

Platform(s) PlayStation 3 & PlayStation 4
    Original Japanese Release Date March 2015
    Western Release Date January 2017 (PS4)

e7d0d28661b0c8a3aecd2ae6facfde78.png

474b1e4a69c7b6a7edfbf39ae7820c43.png

• Yakuza 6

Platform(s) PlayStation 4
    Original Japanese Release Date Fall 2016
    Western Release Date 2018

0c901191ffb8a7735fb62ffcf42fb64f.png

bf8972b53387fe0b3453045f6894ac67.png

5995d51c15e653ec5e63f802ca49c90d.png

c1b3801fb189d2cd72ca1c78eecb110d.png

• Ryū ga Gotoku Kenzan!

Original Japanese Release Date March 2008
    No Western Release

d2554fa78d5a0d9c40566a1212e9a5da.png

Ryu_ga_Gotoku_Kenzan%21_cover.png

• Kurohyō: Ryū ga Gotoku Shinshō

Platform(s) PlayStation Portable
    Original Japanese Release Date September 2010
    No Western Release

1e590699218b971e58440bfc270e9a16.png

Yakuza_PSP.jpg

• Yakuza: Dead Souls

Original Japanese Release Date June 2011
    Western Release Date March 2012

a5fb7ac246879d32820c5276dbf69771.png

Yakuza-dead-souls-ps3-cover-1.jpg

• Kurohyō: Ryū ga Gotoku Ashura-hen

Platform(s) PlayStation Portable
    Original Japanese Release Date March 2012
    No Western Release

e28d4ae6e22e3ef5a22df75d1d44f619.png

51EkM7Cpb4L._SX250_.jpg

• Ryū ga Gotoku Ishin!

Original Japanese Release Date February 2014
    No Western Release

9b140600c86d5dae7b315fa26c2fa9b4.png

Ry%C5%AB_ga_Gotoku_Ishin%21_cover.jpg

5995d51c15e653ec5e63f802ca49c90d.png

9f6f2710c900053d441d69d9ed4df54e.png

• Ryu Ga Gotoku 1&2 HD Edition

Platform(s) PlayStation 3 & Wii U
    Original Japanese Release Date March 2012 (PS3), August 2013 (Wii U)
    No Western Release

a3ba1fe8a8b1c7861decf9240dd7593c.png

243v5.jpeg

• Yakuza: Kiwami

Original Japanese Release Date January 2016
    Western Release Date 2017

d2655b46b890c02a587ce4fe5125bdc1.png

120219_94794557.jpg
7bb0655df0a3036d81cd7cd4f67cfd5c.png

Additional Information

• Ryu ga Gotoku: Kiwami is a full remake of the first Yakuza game, Yakuza 1, which was originally released for the PlayStation 2 in 2005.. The remake utilizes Yakuza 5's engine and will also being the final Yakuza game to do so. Let's hope this remake releases west!
  • Ryu Ga Gotoku 1&2 HD Edition's are HD remasters of Yakuza 1 and Yakuza 2, released exclusively in Japan on the PS3 (2012) and Wii U (2013).
  • Yakuza 0 was released for the PS3 AND PS4 in Japan in 2015, however, only the PS4 will see a Western release. This should come as no surprise considering the difference in performance between last gen consoles between the west and Japan. Of course with the west, most people have upgraded and the PS3 is pretty much dead but in Japan, the PS3 is still going strong and is seeing considerable software sales to see a cross generation release in 2015. However, bear in mind, this is set to change in 2016 where most Japanese developers are moving to PS4 only with their sequels and new IP's, such as the release of Yakuza 6 and Ni-Oh being PS4 only.
  • If you look carefully at the release dates of each main series entry, you'll see that there is a Yakuza release every year with two exceptions. The release of Yakuza 4 ----> Yakuza 5 because that was done on a new engine, and the release of a new Yakuza on a new console e.g. Yakuza 2 (PS2, 2006) ----> Yakuza 3 (PS3, 2009) took 3 years. The same thing is true with Yakuza 5 (PS3, 2012) ---> Yakuza 0 (PS4, 2015) which took 3 years when put on a new 'next-gen' console.
  • Localization gaps are also typically 1 year, with the exception of Yakuza 2 which took 2 years, and Yakuza 5 which took 3 years (mainly due to SEGA's reluctance to localize it in the west after being unhappy with the performance of Yakuza 5). However, because of the success of the PS4 in the West, we can hopefully infer that SEGA will be willing to release both Yakuza 6 and hopefully Yakuza Kiwami in 2017 at the very latest therefore going back to the traditional one year localisation.

sn00zer

It is okay to get started with Yakuza 4 and was my entry to the series. Y4 has a great gallery mode that covers the stories of 1-3 you should watch before starting. Y4 was also a light reboot of sorts and introduces a lot of new characters and its pretty easy to get into.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Yakuza 4 is incredible, though I don't know if it will endear you to Kiryu the way 3 will. But you can't really enjoy 3 unless you play 2. And if you play 2 you might as well play 1 so OMG just play 1!

But really 4 is a good starting point. :)

Yakuza 4 is incredible, though I don't know if it will endear you to Kiryu the way 3 will. But you can't really enjoy 3 unless you play 2. And if you play 2 you might as well play 1 so OMG just play 1!

4 just makes you like Akiyama a lot. :p

ZeroX03

Banned

That's not true at all. Kiryu's dad mode and Rikiya Bromance are very endearing regardless of if you've played 2. I know from personal experience.

Also the villain redemption from Y3 to Y4 is great.

DeVeAn

Love all these Yakuza threads. Really start with one. Really. If possible start with the earliest game possible. Reason being is Kazuma is a character that grows over the course of the series. He is the reason for these games.

I believe 4 may not be ideal because you don't meet Kazuma until the end. That moment has more of an impact when you played the older games.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
They really should put the PS3 remakes of 1 & 2 out here digitally. Playing the PS2 discs through BC is rough on the eyes. While 3 is a fine starting point, 1 and 2 are just so good. More people should get to play them.

Stuart444

That's not true at all. Kiryu's dad mode and Rikiya Bromance are very endearing regardless of if you've played 2. I know from personal experience.

Also the villain redemption from Y3 to Y4 is great.

This is true, Y3 was my entry to the series and I loved it. Now I've played and completed all the main entries apart from Y2 (which I started but got distracted, I'll go back to it someday)

<3 Kiryu. Also <3 Haruka and Akiyama.

it's okay to start with Yakuza 4. one of the best in the series, incredible introduction to a new fan favorite character, new characters, new arcs, etc...

Yakuza 4 is a great starting point, but there's nothing like watching Haruka growing up from a 9 year old in the 1st game to 16 years old in the most recent one.

And yeah, Kiryu's overall story is most emotional at its foundation of Yakuza 1. A recap doesn't really do justice his suffering
sacrifice 10 years of his life for his best friend, his love interest got married and dies, his best friend turned into an asshole and dies, and all he has left is Haruka.
in the first game, and how it keeps tumbling down and tumbling down in subsequent stories where he keeps getting dragged back to the underworld.

I appreciate the plentiful responses already. Thanks guys.

Just a quick question though, would you guys recommend any of the spin-offs like Dead Souls? More importantly, have any of you imported the spin-offs and/or understand JP? Would you say they're good, if not better than some of the main series entries?

It is okay to get started with Yakuza 4 and was my entry to the series. Y4 has a great gallery mode that covers the stories of 1-3 you should watch before starting. Y4 was also a light reboot of sorts and introduces a lot of new characters and its pretty easy to get into.

Ok that's good then and useful that Y4 has that. I just wish the HD remasters had been localised, at the very least digitally like Yakuza 5. I guess beggars can't be choosers!

Ha, thanks lol; I'm happy to hear that I can start with 4!

Thumbs up for this can't get enough yakuza love

Yup; it's a franchise that has been on my rqadar for quite a while, and the fans behind the series are very passionate that's for sure, so it's time to see what all the fuss is about!

Subbed.

Thanks for not making this first, M_Night!

Appreciate the sub; but am I missing a reference in the second part of your comment? :p

They really should put the PS3 remakes of 1 & 2 out here digitally. Playing the PS2 discs through BC is rough on the eyes. While 3 is a fine starting point, 1 and 2 are just so good. More people should get to play them.

Yeah they really should IMO. I can understand not localising the spin-offs, but I reckon the remakes could sell a bit. It would help me since I don't even have a PS2 anymore. I hope they will bring over the PS4 Kiwami remake West, at least that's what I think since the PS4 is much more successful than the PS3.

Love all these Yakuza threads. Really start with one. Really. If possible start with the earliest game possible. Reason being is Kazuma is a character that grows over the course of the series. He is the reason for these games.
I believe 4 may not be ideal because you don't meet Kazuma until the end. That moment has more of an impact when you played the older games.

I'd love to start with one, but unfortunately I don't understand Japanese nor do I own a PS2 anymore :( I'm hoping they can at least bring the Kiwaki Remake for the PS4 westwards some time next year. I guess Y4 is where I'd have to start for now.

yami4ct

I'll echo what's being said, 4 is the best place to start if you want to play on PS3. The move away from Kiryu gives the story a much cleaner break point for new players. 3 suffers from having a ton of baggage from 1+2 as well as easily being the worst Yakuza story. It has some good character bits, but the overall plot is pretty awful.

That being said, go back to Yakuza 1 and 2 if you can. They are worth playing to set up Kazuma as a character. 2 is easily my favorite Yakuza game and one of my favorite games of all time. The plot has a ton of fun twists and turns and it's just so badass on every level. I really hope we get a Kiwami 2 and a localization for it someday, though I don't hold out too much hope for that. It really deserves the treatment.

DeVeAn

Why not 3? Its really good and also goes over the first 2 games. You get to know Kazuma really well over that game.

Just a quick question though, would you guys recommend any of the spin-offs like Dead Souls? More importantly, have any of you imported the spin-offs and/or understand JP? Would you say they're good, if not better than some of the main series entries?

Whether you like Dead Souls will depend largely on how much you like the characters and world, so it's critical that you play the mainline games before then. The actual shooting mechanics are extremely basic and are in many ways taken from the PSone generation in terms of it being based on lockon targeting instead of free aiming. It's not bad, but that's obviously jarring to many people given how rare that style of control is for shooters nowadays. But the characters and world are as solid as ever, so if you enjoy those aspects then you'll enjoy the game.

Prelude.

I don't think 4 is a good starting point. You need to play at least 3 to properly appreciate Kiryu.
It'd be just one of 4 guys otherwise, and not even one of the most relevant characters in the game.

DeVeAn

I don't think 4 is a good starting point. You need to play at least 3 to properly appreciate Kiryu.
It'd be just one of 4 guys otherwise, and not even one of the most relevant characters in the game.
This guy gets it. Exactly.

yami4ct

Why not 3? Its really good and also goes over the first 2 games. You get to know Kazuma really well over that game.

3 has some great character moments, but those won't mean all that much if you don't have the 1+2 background. You also have to deal with an overall plot that is overcomplicated crap steeped in lore from 1+2. 4 gives you new characters to grow with and appreciate as a new fan. You have less impact from the Kazuma stuff, but you can pick that up later on when you can give the series a proper go and play the first 2.

ZeroX03

Banned
3 has some great character moments, but those won't mean all that much if you don't have the 1+2 background. You also have to deal with an overall plot that is overcomplicated crap steeped in lore from 1+2. 4 gives you new characters to grow with and appreciate as a new fan. You have less impact from the Kazuma stuff, but you can pick that up later on when you can give the series a proper go and play the first 2.

Again, as a person who started on Y3, the character moments absolutely still hit and it wasn't tough to understand the lore from Y1+2 after watching the recaps.

Asking people to back and play older games after the fact is a much tougher sell.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'll echo what's being said, 4 is the best place to start if you want to play on PS3. The move away from Kiryu gives the story a much cleaner break point for new players. 3 suffers from having a ton of baggage from 1+2 as well as easily being the worst Yakuza story. It has some good character bits, but the overall plot is pretty awful.
I know it's a matter of opinion, but I started at 3 and it was the game that convinced me that the series was wonderful.

4 is fine, but I feel that 3 is so unique even within the franchise itself that it's worth experiencing. Of course the fact that it's not on PSN makes it harder to recommend due to it not being readily available.

Prelude.

Just watch the summary and you're good for 3.

I feel like the only really skippable game is 1 (assuming you're aware of what happens in it). It's the most boring game of the series, it has a lot of dull moments and the godawful dub makes it really hard to keep you engaged.

Endo Punk

Most likely gonna be an unpopular opinion but I'll shoot. Now I absolutely adore Y4 it's only second to Demons Souls as my fav game last gen but unless you are reaaaaaalllly into the lore; gameplay, setting and content wise it makes 1, 2 & 3 absolutely redundant. I already got caught up on the story with the cinematic viewer fully understanding it and will likely do the same and skip Y5.

Definitely supporting Y0 because I adore the 80's and experiencing from a Japanese point of view interests me a lot, also 60fps and ofcourse Majima. Will skip Kiwami but will definitely get Y6 as it's their first PS4 only Yakuza so very excited to experience how that will play and feel.

I don't know if it makes me a fan of the franchise but I certainly love the games on a case by case basis. It is an annual franchise and the last thing I want is to get burnt out on it.

I just want to echo the sentiment in this thread that this is really not true. I also started at 3, and had a very fond attachment to Kiryu and all the characters without any knowledge of their backstory. 3 can easily stand on its own.

Docpan

Why doesn't Yakuza 4 have a proper hostess guide ANYWHERE on the internet? Im trying to make the right choices and get laid, this shit is vitally important. What they eat, what they like, whatever it takes to get to the J.

yami4ct

My main reason to not recommend 3 is that the story is awful. I'm not going to say you absolutely can't start there and get it and have a good time. You totally can. I just am saying there's a greater barrier to entry to 3 that makes it more difficult to enjoy the good moments the story does offer.

Yakuza 4 offers a much better plot overall as well as giving you a much more natural entry point with the new characters.

I just want to echo the sentiment in this thread that this is really not true. I also started at 3, and had a very fond attachment to Kiryu and all the characters without any knowledge of their backstory. 3 can easily stand on its own.

i started with 3 as well,
great character development in terms of story. agree with the above posters Yakuza 3 can stand on it's own.

Endo Punk

Why doesn't Yakuza 4 have a proper hostess guide ANYWHERE on the internet? Im trying to make the right choices and get laid, this shit is vitally important. What they eat, what they like, whatever it takes to get to the J.

pfft. You gotta get to know the girls man, pay attention to what they say.

MrDaravon

Yakuza 3 has it's moments for sure and I enjoyed it overall, but it is the weakest for sure IMO of 1-4.

Praying to god that they put out Yakuza 1 & 2 out as PS2 Classics on PS4, would love to own them and re-play them at some point, but Yakuza 2 is fairly expensive at this point and hooking up a PS2 to a modern HDTV is going to look terrible.

Docpan

Ps-- do you actually get to go balls deep into these bitches? Im currently tracking Noa on my "dick that" radar.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
So for those who have played Zero,is it a clean break from the other ones being a prequel, or do i need to start somewhere?

I know with some prequels they expect you to have played certain story arcs to understand some bits in context

yami4ct

Yakuza 3 has it's moments for sure and I enjoyed it overall, but it is the weakest for sure IMO of 1-4.

Praying to god that they put out Yakuza 1 & 2 out as PS2 Classics on PS4, would love to own them and re-play them at some point, but Yakuza 2 is fairly expensive at this point and hooking up a PS2 to a modern HDTV is going to look terrible.

If Kiwami is what it says it is, we won't really need 1+2 HD anymore. I really hope that game gets localized. Seeing Yakuza 1 with the original cast and all new graphics sounds amazing. The idea of seeing 2 like that would be a greatest of all time experience.

Not that I would complain if they did bring 1+2 HD over. I played 1+2 on an upresed emulator and they look pretty decent still. The remakes just make them a bit redundant.

I would say either 4, Zero, Kiwami or The HD collection would be a great place to start.

4 because it has a lot of new characters introduced in that game, so you wont be too lost, and different fighting styles besides.

Zero because its a prequel game for the entire series. Also playable Majima. Do you need another reason?

Kiwami is a given because its the ultimate version of Yakuza 1, running on Zero's engine.

The HD Collection is a good spot as well, since it gives you access to 1 and most importantly, 2 since its a lot of people's favourite.

I would say either 4, Zero, Kiwami or The HD collection would be a great place to start.

4 because it has a lot of new characters introduced in that game, so you wont be too lost, and different fighting styles besides.

Zero because its a prequel game for the entire series. Also playable Majima. Do you need another reason?

Kiwami is a given because its the ultimate version of Yakuza 1, running on Zero's engine.

The HD Collection is a good spot as well, since it gives you access to 1 and most importantly, 2 since its a lot of people's favourite.

I'd love to play the HD collection, but they aren't localised, and I don't understand Japanese. That's the problem :/

Jawmuncher

Ryu ga Gotoku: Kiwami

Currently N/A

This is another remake of the first game right?

yami4ct

I believe you, but damn it man. I just can't pull the trigger on 85+

I'd pay twice that personally. It's really a Top 10 game for me. If you can get past the outdated graphics, the game underneath is still just incredible.

Ryu ga Gotoku: Kiwami

Currently N/A

This is another remake of the first game right?

Kiwami is a full remake of Yakuza 1 in the Yakuza 0 PS4 engine. It's actually the first true remake. Yakuza 1+2 HD were just HD remasters and had very little visual work done on them,

Thanks for the thread.
I was actually considering doing something similar for a while now but I'm just too lazy :p

I've said this before so I'll say it here as well.

If you have a PS3:
Yakuza 4, then Yakuza 5 (if you enjoyed them enough then play Y3 as well)
If you only have PS4: Yakuza 0

To people who are PS4 users only, don't be intimidated by starting with 0. As the name suggests the story happens before all of other Yakuza games so you won't feel lost if you start with that game. And IMO, Y0 is the best Yakuza game to date.

Top Bottom