• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yatagarasu (Fighter inspired by Street Fighter III: Third Strike) out today for PC

Tizoc

This was a Japan only release IIRC, thanks for the heads up!
What's the update on its 3DS release btw?

FYI the game has various similarities to 3S, like one boxer character having moves like Dudley's.

Domstercool

This was a Japan only release IIRC, thanks for the heads up!
What's the update on its 3DS release btw?

FYI the game has various similarities to 3S, like one boxer character having moves like Dudley's.

Dudley clone? Oh man, I might have to try this.

BadWolf

So the cast consists of shotos, Hibiki, Zangief, Fei Long, Dudley and someone that looks like Angel?

What's the point of putting this much effort when pretty much every character is a copy of another from Capcom or SNK?

Ninjaholic

Neo Member
Looks fun and really diggin the art stlye. I wanna try that Jeet Kun Do dude and the chick with Chun Li style kicks. Will buy soon.

Alucrid

Banned
So the cast consists of shotos, Hibiki, Zangief, Fei Long, Dudley and someone that looks like Angel?

What's the point of putting this much effort when pretty much every character is a copy of another from Capcom or SNK?

looked like a yang clone too

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Does this have netplay? Says 1 player on the purchase site.

E: Says elsewhere "1-2 players with 8 player lobbies." so never mind.

Wow, this looks great. Some of those backgrounds are beautiful.
Shame this seems unlikely to come out on a platform I'd like to play it on.

Good stuff. Will buy later today. Worth a shot at least.

Edit: English user manual here. Character move lists, how to set-up online games etc. fairly brief so if you are thinking of purchasing the game you may as well have a read of this first.

Sakujou

Banned
Looks promising, but i cant switch from 3s to another fighter. i havent even mastered 3s to get to another fighting game... ssf4 sucks and blazblue is just too steep for a beginner like me.

popyea

I love the character-select illustrations. First caught wind of this from a bitsummit feature written not that long ago. Found the illustrations on the website and saved them. The in-game stuff is really nice too. I prefer it to the arcsystemworks style spritework. Might just be the more shapely character designs.

I love 2D fighters but after watching the trailer some of the sprites look like direct copies of SFIII with some edits made. The big guy with Zangief moves is Hugo's sprite for example. I'm not sure if I like that :/

LegatoB

I'm a little surprised to see this come out. I figured Nicalis had the rights to the PC version as well, but I guess they're only doing that 3DS port?

I haven't bought this version, but I have the Japanese release of Yatagarasu on disc. My guess is "part-localized" means they noticed that the game stores all the in-game text strings for menus, combo counters, etc. as plain ol' text files, and that the game has locale-switching built-in. So it looks like they haven't done any localization reprogramming (hence why the netplay config screen in the manual is still in Japanese) but they've probably translated the menus and such.

The game plays a lot like Third Strike, except parries have been assigned to buttons instead of direction taps now. You have high and low parry buttons, and there doesn't seen to be a parry whiff animation, but I don't know what the rules are for doing it while holding back to block and such because it's been a while.

I have the same sentiments as some above - some of the moves and sprites and basically just sprite edits.

One of the sprites is like a cross of Hugo and Alex, another of Yun/Yang/Fei and one that looks like Rock and someone else's lower body. Oh, and Athena. Backgrounds are also just edits (Akuma and Elena stage?). It does look interesting but... I dunno. "Inspired" seems like the wrong word...

Slermy

Wow, this looks great. Some of those backgrounds are beautiful.
Shame this seems unlikely to come out on a platform I'd like to play it on.

I actually think the backgrounds could use some motion. either through parallaxing, or just subtle animation. It would really help the scene pop and seat the fighters into it better.

Draft

I love 2D fighters but after watching the trailer some of the sprites look like direct copies of SFIII with some edits made. The big guy with Zangief moves is Hugo's sprite for example. I'm not sure if I like that :/
That explains how this exists. I thought creating this kind of detailed sprite animation was so onerous as to be basically impossible for small teams.

jett

D-Member
That explains how this exists. I thought creating this kind of detailed sprite animation was so onerous as to be basically impossible for small teams.

I don't know what he's talking about. These don't look like sprite rips at all to me.

I have the same sentiments as some above - some of the moves and sprites and basically just sprite edits.

One of the sprites is like a cross of Hugo and Alex, another of Yun/Yang/Fei and one that looks like Rock and someone else's lower body. Oh, and Athena. Backgrounds are also just edits (Akuma and Elena stage?). It does look interesting but... I dunno. "Inspired" seems like the wrong word...

I really hate passive inferences like this... if you've actually sat down and compared the assets and have some real evidence that this is going on, I'd love to see it. But so far it just sounds like you're observing similarities and assuming a literal rip/edit happened. Even if you wanted to frankenstein body parts and types together somehow like what's being suggested, the animations wouldn't line up at all unless said body parts were merely reference rather than rips--meaning the end product would be no less original than one made from other references. Considering how much effort goes into spritework, I find bringing up this this topic pretty banal unless you're providing proof.

There is a pretty heavy difference between 'inspired from' and borderline theft; the latter is an accusation.

BadWolf

I don't know what he's talking about. These don't look like sprite rips at all to me.

Yeah, the moves just look similar but the sprites themselves don't look like they were taken straight from those games and edited or something.

Pompadour

That's not even close to Hugo's sprite. Hugo is one of the most uniquely animated 2D fighters there is. If it was a reworked sprite it would be noticeable from a mile away.

Come on, guys. The guy who made the sprites was an animator for Third Strike and some SNK games, hence the similarities. We don't really need to get hung up on this.

Glad to see this game is ready to go. Had my eyes on it for a while as a fun diversion.

Amon37

I really hate passive inferences like this... if you've actually sat down and compared the assets and have some real evidence that this is going on, I'd love to see it. But so far it just sounds like you're observing similarities and assuming a literal rip/edit happened. Even if you wanted to frankenstein body parts and types together somehow like what's being suggested, the animations wouldn't line up at all unless said body parts were merely reference rather than rips--meaning the end product would be no less original than one made from other references. Considering how much effort goes into spritework, I find bringing up this this topic pretty banal unless you're providing proof.

There is a pretty heavy difference between 'inspired from' and borderline theft; the latter is an accusation.

But everyone on gaf is an expert. Proof, schmoof lol

LakeEarth

This and 4rd Strike need bigger releases.

If I was any good at programming, I would totally make a 3rd Strike mod. I've seen other groups try to make a 4th Strike kind of game, but they always go too far with the changes. I wouldn't be ambitoius. I wouldn't change any frame data, or change any of the feel of the game. Just tweak damage and meter. Just dropping Chun's super damage 25%, and double the length of Genei Jin (but having it last the same amount of time) would do wonders.

Top Bottom