• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall Review Thread

SighFight

Bit amused by people jumping for the one quote of low framerates in some special occasions. I am sure it is perfectly playable. But hey a good game for XOne: Can't be. It looks fun and I might try on PC (no one here...)

Wow really single digit frame rate drops at fucking 790p? They should be embarrassed to ship that.

But... but... ESRAM and the cloud...

Really though, the idea that it's that low with minimal AA with frame rate problems is insane. Thank god for the PC version.

From Giantbomb-

Umm single digits framerate? That is completely unacceptable.
Is there another console version that will provide better performance? I understand making a big deal of it when there is a version available on a cheaper console that runs far better, but unless you want to build a PC there isn't really much of an alternative.

Marc

Remember when EGM threatened to lower Warhawk's review score if it cost any more than $30 on the PSN store due to being multiplayer only?

What interests me is all those single player games that get marked down for not having multi-player.... ugh, CoD the destroyer.

Anyway, glad people are enjoying the game, just worried about the precedent this sets going forward. Would rather not have an online only generation where multiplayer is the dominant force.

Hasney

Glad to see some places aren't reviewing the game until it's live officially. After SimCity, BF4 and notable others, this really needs to be waited on until we get a full picture.

Lucifon

In my brief time with the beta I encountered single or almost single digit frame rates in every fifth match or so.

In my lengthy time with the beta I didn't encounter single digit frame rates once. Some frame rate drops here and there, sure. But not single digits. So I guess everyone's mileage may vary.

No game is perfect. I remember when GTA 4 got perfect scores. It's nothing but hype getting to people to score it that damn high.

I have no issue with a 9 or 9.5 but with lack of modes I don't think a perfect score is justified. I'm sure the game is fun as hell though. That's all that matter in the end.

Literally every hyped game gets a few 10's. Deal with it?

Einbroch

Banned
Is there another console version that will provide better performance? I understand making a big deal of it when there is a version available on a cheaper console that runs far better, but unless you want to build a PC there isn't really much of an alternative.

There's always the option of not buying the game if it's unacceptable to you.

No game is perfect. I remember when GTA 4 got perfect scores. It's nothing but hype getting to people to score it that damn high.

I have no issue with a 9 or 9.5 but with lack of modes I don't think a perfect score is justified. I'm sure the game is fun as hell though. That's all that matter in the end.

That a game should be perfect to get 10/10's is stupid in the first place. As you said yourself no game will ever be perfect, so why even have that scale then?

I don't disagree with GTA4 being an overhyped piece of shit that reviewers got caught in the hype with, but I think there's lots of good reasons to give a game 10/10's if it just does everything really really well and is the best of its genre.

dreamfall

It's an online only game. I don't see how you can get a true impression of such a game until it's open to the masses to see how things hold up. How the servers handle things, what issues do they cause, should be key for an online only game. Are people forgetting all the issues Battlefield 4 had and still has? Does anyone think it deserves the high scores it got once customers were able to play under true real life conditions? Are people forgetting about thew new SimCity? Every MMORPG that exist?

As much as I enjoyed the beta (which had a lot disabled) I don't think you can trust any high score until the doors are open to everyone.

So much this. I'm excited, but wary about how it'll launch as multiplayer only- the beta was smooth, so I'm hopeful. But these reviews rolling out numbers seem early...

GlamFM

Banned
Bit amused by people jumping for the one quote of low framerates in some special occasions. I am sure it is perfectly playable. But hey a good game for XOne: Can't be. It looks fun and I might try on PC (no one here...)

To be fair - we all encountered frame rate and tearing issues in the Beta.

We were just hoping they were gone in the final release.

Yet reviews that launch before public servers go live are rewarded with lots and lots of traffic from review roundups like this thread.

Sad, but true.

This might be the end of the Xbox brand.

That's a bit hyperbolic. It is pretty crazy however that areas of single digit framerate still managed to make it into the final version.

It's weird that three major sites are holding out on the review, and then to see sessler going all in with a 5/5.

What's surprising about this? Some sites have enough integrity to wait to find out what the actual consumer experience will be like with public servers. As for Sessler, I would have been far more surprised if he hadn't given it a perfect score. Some reviewers are a known quantity.

TS-08

Now there is a thread about that one quote.

Jezbollah

It's quite funny to see a game able to get 9s when there are serious technical issues with the display rate.

I *cannot* wait to see the same reviewers give future games such consideration.......

Jeff-DSA

I'm not going to put a score on this game for at least a week after launch because I want to make sure that the servers hold up and that there aren't game-breaking issues. Battlefield 4 was great in a pre-launch state...not so much a week later.

Easy traffic be damned.

Lemondish

Titanfall's moving parts complement each other well, and take a familiar FPS formula and make it feel fresh--it's just a shame that it relies so heavily on the familiar. You'll eventually hit a point--like you do in nearly every game--where you feel as though you've done everything there is to do, and because you're still just playing Team Deathmatch or Capture the Flag, that time comes quicker than you might think. - Gamesradar review

This is my biggest concern with the game.

Especially if they recognized this during the review. This is what I was afraid of, too. I was in the beta, and while it was loads of fun, I can't see it being worth 60 bucks.

nynt9

Prediction:
-us press average 90+
-eu press average 80+

I also predict this. The EU press is a lot more sparing with their usage of 9/10's. Also from what I've seen so far only Giantbomb and EU outlets mention the performance issues.

Grakl

an FPS should have a constant framerate, hopefully a patch fixes it - otherwise, it should be docked some points for that

Welp, no controversy here. Solid job.

I think the map design in combination with the mobility is what really makes this game appreciated as a competitive shooter

Just discovering areas and platforming opportunities seems to add a fun dimension lacking in such serious games like Killzone

Top Bottom