• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu chimes in on 2014 industry rumors (some confirmations)

Soriku

http://gematsu.com/2014/04/famitsu-feature-truth-rumors-2014

Some excerpts:

1. The September 2014 Japanese release for the Xbox One is set to include a large launch lineup, including worthwhile exclusive games.

Few concrete details are available at this time, but Microsoft told Famitsu that it’s working hard to ensure Japanese players are satisfied with their purchase out of the gate. More specifics are said to be coming out on this topic towards the end of April.

Famitsu’s Plausibility: 90%

3. The game world in Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain is set to be 200 times larger than that of Ground Zeroes.

Konami outright confirmed this to Famitsu, stating that the number is actually set to be over 200 times larger and will have players traversing a wide variety of environments under different climate conditions, with time passing during the game all the while.

Famitsu’s Plausibility: 100%

5. Sony Computer Entertainment and From Software are developing a new game together.

Famitsu noticed that this rumor has been circulating outside Japan about a potential follow-up to Demon’s Souls. When they inquired about the matter to Sony, they received a plain “We have nothing to announce at this time.” This leads Famitsu to believe that it’s pretty implausible, contending that while they’d be happy to see the two making a game like that, “if there’s no smoke, there probably isn’t a fire.”

Famitsu’s Plausibility: 10%

^ This one is just dumb but meh.

7. The Last Guardian is actually going to come out.

If you’ve been following game news for a while now, you’re probably aware of the highly tumultuous development cycle that’s hit Team Ico’s follow-up to 2005′s Shadow of the Colossus on the PS2. When Famitsu asked Sony about this game, the magazine was told that Sony is still waiting for a good time to reintroduce the game. However, they also said that new information and even a release date could be announced soon should development go smoothly.

Famitsu’s Plausibility: 75%

10. A new Metal Gear Online is being produced at Kojima Productions’ Los Angeles branch.

Have you spotted a pattern with these Metal Gear rumors yet? This one is also true, with Konami stating that the Los Angeles and Tokyo branches are working in tandem to make this happen. More information is set to be revealed on this at a later date.

11. The HD re-release of Final Fantasy X has resulted in Square-Enix jump-starting development on X-3.

Kazushige Nojima and Yoshinori Kitase chimed in on this matter, essentially saying it’s not happening, at least not yet. Nojima reminded people that he put out both an audio drama that came with the HD re-release and another separate novel altogether that continue the plotline of that universe. Kitase, meanwhile, said that no game of the sort is in production, although he recalls some work was once done while talks were happening on it when Nojima still worked for Square. That being said, Kitase expressed an interest in working with Nojima again one day and Nojima likewise stated that the world of X could see new developments one day if fans’ demands are loud enough. Knowing that, Famitsu believes that while X-3 isn’t in development, they wouldn’t be surprised to hear that perhaps the HD remasters for X and X-2 rekindled an interest at Square-Enix to revisit the universe beyond the new material already published.

Famitsu’s Plausibility: 30%

12. A new Dissidia: Final Fantasy game is in the works.

There are no tangible announcements to be found, but both Ichiro Hazama and Mitsunori Takahashi have gone on record expressing a strong desire to develop such a game. Famitsu takes this to mean that Square-Enix is at least keen on it and that if it were to happen, characters from Final Fantasy XIV and XV would join the fray for the next go.

Famitsu’s Plausibility: 60%

14. Bravely Second‘s scenario writing is complete.

Tomoya Asana replied to Famitsu’s request for comment by saying that plans are ramping up for the Bravely Default sequel and that details about the game could come out this summer.

24. Koutarou Uchikoshi is working on a new game at Mages.

Although he’s still working for Spike Chunsoft, Uchikoshi unambiguously told Famitsu that he is indeed collaborating with Steins;Gate developer Mages on a new game and that the scenario is already complete. He went on to say it’ll be a “sexual comedy” set to a science fiction suspense fantasy. As one might expect from him, he has high hopes that the game will turn out well.

26. A new Shining game is going to be announced soon.

When asked to comment, series producer Tsuyoshi Sawada said that 2014 is going to be a big year for new, experimental things in the Shining series, including the previously announced arcade fighter Blade Arcus from Shining. Beyond that, he hopes to continue the series on a variety of a platforms, including home consoles. Famitsu believes that this means more announcements about the future of the Shining series could be made at this year’s Tokyo Game Show.

Famitsu’s Plausibility: 80%

27. Nippon Ichi Software is developing an exclusive game for PlayStation 4.

NIS president Nikawa confirmed to Famitsu that a PlayStation 4-only game from the developer is indeed coming. As is tradition, the plan is to send out more information on the game through their yearly summer greeting cards.

33. Level-5 is developing a sequel to Yokai Watch.

Famitsu went to Level-5 CEO Akihiro Hino, who proceeded to confirm as much. He expects that his company will be able to put out an official announcement about it sometime during April.

34. Level-5 is reviving the once-cancelled Ushiro.

Ushiro was once a PSP RPG that Level-5 announced in 2009 that never ended up coming out. When asked about its prospects, Hino went on record saying that the company is mulling over new developments for it and hopes to have something to say about it in the future. While not a definitive answers one way or the other, Famitsu remains hopeful that horror fans will have good news to read about the game eventually.

Famitsu’s Plausibility: 60%

38. The latest news on Persona 5…

This is more Famitsu asking when we’ll see an update on Persona 5 than it is a rumor, but Atlus said it will share an update on the game at a later time.

^ Atlus plz.

Tagg9

5. Sony Computer Entertainment and From Software are developing a new game together.

Famitsu noticed that this rumor has been circulating outside Japan about a potential follow-up to Demon’s Souls. When they inquired about the matter to Sony, they received a plain “We have nothing to announce at this time.” This leads Famitsu to believe that it’s pretty implausible, contending that while they’d be happy to see the two making a game like that, “if there’s no smoke, there probably isn’t a fire.”

Flawless logic from Famitsu here. That's Sony's standard response to all rumors...

Although he’s still working for Spike Chunsoft, Uchikoshi unambiguously told Famitsu that he is indeed collaborating with Steins;Gate developer Mages on a new game and that the scenario is already complete. He went on to say it’ll be a “sexual comedy” set to a science fiction suspense fantasy. As one might expect from him, he has high hopes that the game will turn out well.

Uchikoshi, you fucking traitor. Get working on the Zero Escape 3 kickstarter.

FluxWaveZ

Famitsu has a couple of new Danganronpa: Another Episode shots. Might be some new news in the coming days about it, like the article implies.

Pretty much nothing on the Persona front sucks, but it's kind of to be expected with how Atlus has been handling the information dispersal of their games these days.

Coxy

yeah 5 did seem dumb, of course companies always say they have no current plans or nothing to announce

looking forward to seeing what NIS had for PS4...I think. Hopefully better than the fate paradox sequel looks :x

GamerJM

Banned

tumblr_mhhp36WiOt1qg6qnso1_500.gif

liquidtmd

Banned
The Last Of Us to come to PS4

Famitsu Plausibility: 85%

16. Developing is coming along smoothly on Final Fantasy XV.

Hashimoto again fielded this rumor, stating that although the timing isn’t yet fixed, they want to make sure what they bring out lives up to people’s expectations, and are preparing new information for release.

So there is no time scale and new information will come out although there is no indication of when.

THANKS OBA...FAMITSU!

GamerJM

Banned
Uchikoshi, you fucking traitor. Get working on the Zero Escape 3 kickstarter.

What if this IS Zero Escape 3?
It's incredibly unlikely given the description of sexual comedy I know.

Either way I'm glad he's working on something. Everyone needs to buy this game so he can get ZE3 greenlit. WE WILL DO WHAT IT TAKES

shink

16. Developing is coming along smoothly on Final Fantasy XV.

Hashimoto again fielded this rumor, stating that although the timing isn’t yet fixed, they want to make sure what they bring out lives up to people’s expectations, and are preparing new information for release.

Needs much preparation

29. The third game in NIS’s “New Brand” series (which includes htoL#NiQ: Hotaru no Nikki and If You Thought It Was Harem Paradise It Was Yandere Hell) line is going to have a more adult tone.

President Nikawa once again gave Famitsu a confirmation, saying that the next game to come after htoL#NiQ will have a bit of a sexual flair to it. Famitsu remarks that such a description reminds them of the company’s Criminal Girls, but since “New Brand” is being used for new IP, they don’t think this new game is a continuation off of that.
Get that Compile Heart fanbase.

32. Nintendo will officially announce a new Legend of Zelda game for the Wii U at this year’s E3.

Famitsu didn’t ascertain a response from Nintendo on this matter, instead opting to state timing such a release for the industry event wouldn’t be out of the ordinary.

Famitsu’s Plausibility: 40%

Hasn't Nintendo straight up confirmed that they're announcing the Wii U Zelda at E3?

Shengar

I'll still clinging to that 10%.
I just couldn't believe Mizayaki Hidetaka become unemployed after delivering them Souls games.

antonz

Hasn't Nintendo straight up confirmed that they're announcing the Wii U Zelda at E3?

Yeah I don't get that one. Nintendo has repeatedly said they could have shown it sooner but have cancelled it each time at the last minute but have confirmed we will see it at this years E3

Toki767

They sure take Sony's "We have nothing to announce at this time." comments seriously. That's like standard answers anytime you ask them to confirm a leak.

Teknoman

How about some actual tactical Shining Force games that are straight up about battles and kingdoms. No dating elements or whatever.

14. Bravely Second‘s scenario writing is complete.

Tomoya Asana replied to Famitsu’s request for comment by saying that plans are ramping up for the Bravely Default sequel and that details about the game could come out this summer.

For a second there, I thought they were saying that there could be a release of the game this summer, and almost just started losing my shit.

Still, love to hear more about a sequel.

New Shining game confirmed Xbone exclusive in Japan.

Maybe. I'm interested in seeing just what sort of games they managed to money hat if they're saying notable exclusives.

Would it make a dent in the territory? History says...no. But its still an effort.

New NIS game is what I'm looking for. Tell me what it is Famitsu!

MrDenny

11. The HD re-release of Final Fantasy X has resulted in Square-Enix jump-starting development on X-3.

Kazushige Nojima and Yoshinori Kitase chimed in on this matter, essentially saying it’s not happening, at least not yet. Nojima reminded people that he put out both an audio drama that came with the HD re-release and another separate novel altogether that continue the plotline of that universe. Kitase, meanwhile, said that no game of the sort is in production, although he recalls some work was once done while talks were happening on it when Nojima still worked for Square. That being said, Kitase expressed an interest in working with Nojima again one day and Nojima likewise stated that the world of X could see new developments one day if fans’ demands are loud enough. Knowing that, Famitsu believes that while X-3 isn’t in development, they wouldn’t be surprised to hear that perhaps the HD remasters for X and X-2 rekindled an interest at Square-Enix to revisit the universe beyond the new material already published.

Famitsu’s Plausibility: 30%
Hundreds of people went to the Final Fantasy X/X-2 launch/art event.
I think Kitase was actually surprised so many people showed up.
He said he was gonna share the excitement from the fans with his colleague back in japan.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I laughed out loud at that From Software one 'Sony says "We have nothing to announce at this time" so it's pretty implausible/unlikely!' lol

UberTag

He went on to say it’ll be a “sexual comedy”

i didn't ask for this......
Instead of the long-awaited conclusion of the Zero Escape series we're getting an unrequested spinoff of the infamous Junpei/Akane elevator scene. Wonderful!

FluxWaveZ

I'll take it, man.

Uchikoshi's probably a better writer than most of the dudes behind sexual comedy VNs so I still have high hopes. Maybe he'll give us waifu-able Luna!

Not even sure what "sexual comedy" even is.

First thing I think of is harem game protagonist who gets in a bunch of hilarious shenanigans and misunderstandings revolving around his potential love interests. Doesn't sound too hot.

sub_o

First thing I think of is harem game protagonist who gets in a bunch of hilarious shenanigans and misunderstandings revolving around his potential love interests. Doesn't sound too hot.

Sexual comedy: halfway thru, she would laugh at the size of your cucumber. Why didn't you buy a bigger one at the grocery store? And you replied, "Only the pickled ones are bigger".

If you’ve been following game news for a while now, you’re probably aware of the highly tumultuous development cycle that’s hit Team Ico’s follow-up to 2005′s Shadow of the Colossus on the PS2. When Famitsu asked Sony about this game, the magazine was told that Sony is still waiting for a good time to reintroduce the game. However, they also said that new information and even a release date could be announced soon should development go smoothly.

pC6trqC.gif

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
Hi hi! I'm the one who wrote up that article. I think most of my translation summaries speak for themselves, but if any of you want clarification on something, I'll do my best to look into it. That piece pretty much ate up my entire work day, so I'm more or less brain dead at the moment, but I'll see what I can do!

Your guess is as good as mine as to what he means. "Sexual comedy" is the exact terminology he used in the original Japanese, too, just lifting it from English and everything. It's certainly not a term I personally encounter in my day to day life in the language.

26. A new Shining game is going to be announced soon.

When asked to comment, series producer Tsuyoshi Sawada said that 2014 is going to be a big year for new, experimental things in the Shining series, including the previously announced arcade fighter Blade Arcus from Shining.

SMH

Although I suppose at this point a Shining SRPG could be considered new and experimental.

They sure take Sony's "We have nothing to announce at this time." comments seriously. That's like standard answers anytime you ask them to confirm a leak.

Sure, although I can't really see Sony releasing a From-made Demon's Souls sequel anytime soon. From stands to benefit far more from pouring their efforts into the multiplatform Dark Souls series, but even more than that, Demon's Souls 2 would end up competing with Deep Down, at least on the surface, and that seems to be the game that Sony is showing a lot of marketing support for at the moment. Besides, one has to wonder if Sony would even see Demon's Souls 2 as a worthwhile investment in a world in which Dark Souls exists.

So I'm inclined to put that down to wishful thinking. Which doesn't mean that Sony is not working with From on something else.

Radec

No.. I don't believe this.

jimboton

I think this sounds about right though. Famitsu's Plausibility as an information source on the Souls games is around 10% (after they gave Demon's Souls 29/40 when it came out).

Famitsu went so stupid with that Demons Souls 2 enquiry. What did they think Sony would say lol. Theres been numerous insiders saying its in the works (not necessarily Demons Souls 2 but a FROM x SCEJ game for PS4) and the fact that DKS2 omits numerous members from the original team adds more evidence to the theory.

The day The Last Guardian gets announced will sure be something special.

A new DISSIDIA 0_0 don't play with my heart famitsu.

EmSeta

When they inquired about the matter to Sony, they received a plain “We have nothing to announce at this time.” This leads Famitsu to believe that it’s pretty implausible.

Now, I'm super skeptical about this rumor, but this quote just sounds silly. Of course they wouldn't just reveal it to some reporter?

So if a publisher doesn't outright confirm a rumour Famitsu determine that the rumour is unlikely to be true.

Are they new in the industry or something?!

Jomjom

Banned
Would be amazing if the xbone launches in Japan with better JP games than the PS4 after the PS4 had been out for almost half a year.

Schlomo

I had never heard of the arcade game Gunslinger Stratos 2 before this article. After reading up on it, I want a home console version! I'd even buy some expensive gun controllers if it's good. But I'm sure the controls could be altered to work with a pad too.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.

derp-hnnnnnnnnng.jpg

redhood56

Banned
So uchikoshi is done on his part of the game, so he can get back to zero escape 3 RIGHT?! Even though the game doesn't interest me you gotta pay the bills somehow and at least his part of the game is done

Jack cw

Sony and From working on Demons Souls 2 is probably the worst kept secret right now. I guess that they started development half way making DS2.

L~A

Youkai Watch sequel in the works? Like, no way! This totally wasn't "leaked" in that CoroCoro contest, where a reader could design a Youkai for a "new Youkai Watch" game ;)

Sad news on the Demon's Souls sequel front!

It's funny the translation mentions 'no smoke, no fire', because I would say precisely that there's been an awful lot of smoke.

Anywho!

Top Bottom