• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New details on The Great Ace Attorney; Is the start of a new series of games

Frolow

Banned
Coming from a Famtisu interview with Shu Takumi and Shintaro Kojima. Eat your hamburgers if old.

On the new protagonist, Ryuunosuke Naruhodo:
“Well, the two keywords are ‘Meiji Period’ and ‘Phoenix’s ancestor’ so you might be able to get an idea from that.” - Takumi

On the new heroine, Susato Mikotoba:
“She’s basically the type of person that she appears to be. Pretty much a graceful Japanese woman, a proper girl who does everything the proper way.” - Kojima

By doing things the right way, does that mean she’ll be taking care of Ryuunosuke in such a manner?
“The Wrights will be Wrights. I’ve barely met these characters myself, so I can’t exactly say too much about them. I think that we’ll get a better understanding as we go on with production. Some characters show up more while writing the scenario, sometimes when they speak their lines, so we’re kind of waiting for that as we write, for now.” - Takumi

Will the game's flow be similar to past games of the series?
“I can’t say anything about that for now. However, the image and feel behind its play will be quite different from all the other Ace Attorney games up until now." - Takumi

A message for the fans
“It’s been a while since I’ve participated in making a new Ace Attorney game, and things are a little different from the earlier days; however, as usual, I’ll be doing my best and putting all my effort into it, so that this one [The Great Ace Attorney] won’t lose to the past games I’ve worked on.” - Takumi

“While it’s not a main-numbered Ace Attorney title, it’s the start of a new series called The Great Ace Attorney. I believe that it’s becoming something that can show that it’s not simply just a derivative title. We can’t say too much about it for the time being, but we’ll be revealing more on the characters and their backgrounds next time, which we hope you all can look forward to. It’s really becoming something that gives us high expectations for, so please look forward to it!” - Kojima
They also said to expect new information and screenshots in the near future.
Source

Definitely looking forward to this one. A new Ace Attorney series headed by Shu Takumi? Color me excited. It's like what Apollo Justice was going to be.

FluxWaveZ

a proper girl who does everything the proper way
Yeah, she did seem that way just from her design. It's a nice change of pace compared to the energetic, go-getter partners that are usually part of the series.

The Wrights will be Wrights.
I love this phrase so much. The new protag looks a bit more serious in demeanor compared to the previous ones, but I think they understand that he still has to be charming.

the image and feel behind its play will be quite different from all the other Ace Attorney games up until now
Hm, again with that sentence. So it's a hack and slash after all. I wonder if that means that there will still be the standard investigation and courtroom scenes, but the way they're handled and played will be very different.

the start of a new series called The Great Ace Attorney
Seems like they're pretty serious about this new Ace Attorney sub-series and that this won't be the only game under that name. Which will make it even more tragic if Capcom doesn't localize this.

FluxWaveZ

Would guess that future titles will jump to different time periods.

Eh, I don't know about that. The casts in these games are too colorful and remarkable, and I'm sure they require a lot of thought and work from the devs, to just toss them after a single game. They especially seem to care a lot about what it means to explore a game from the perspective of the law in the Meijin era, which is a philosophy I could only see continuing in subsequent games in the series.

daydream

Banned
A new series? Fine by me!

Love it when they mix it up (like they did with Investigations), and since the main series will still be continuing, I don't think anybody should have a reason to complain.

I really think this setting has a lot of potential, so I'm glad to hear that they're looking into more games in the series. Here's hoping it's good!

I literally can´t get enough of Ace Attorney.

So fine by me as long as the quality is high
and I don´t have to learn japanese D:

Rhapsody

Banned
Looking forward to this new series. Liking how they're mixing things up with the personality of the supporting character.

Salsa

I get excited every time he says different. There's no point in having the same game in another setting, that'd be a bit underwhelming specially when AA6 is inevitably coming. I wanna be surprised.

Really interested on how they will do the mysteries due to the time it takes place.

Also:

GM2oH7t.png

B5urAJp.png

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I'm looking forward to it, assuming Capcom USA localizes it. Takumi always comes up with characters I love. I'll definitely support his new effort even if some of the fanbase aren't interested in his work anymore.

Soulstar

I just heard about this. I'm so unbelievably hyped right now. Shu Takumi being able to do a new series is incredibly exciting to me.

webrunner

TIP FOR THE LOCALIZATION TEAM:

The Meiji era is 1900 +- 10-20 years. You know who also were doing stuff around that time?

The Wright Brothers.

WILBUR WRIGHT: ACE PILOT

Here's hoping this new guy shows up in a future Marvel vs Capcom 4 or Capcom All Stars. A Phoenix Wright with sword hit boxes...

*drool*

Thoraxes

I'm hoping the color palette they chose for the trailer indicates some kind of noir-style investigation and detective work.

Lusankya

Yeah, she did seem that way just from her design. It's a nice change of pace compared to the energetic, go-getter partners that are usually part of the series.

Proper, nice characters can be really good. E.g. Luna of Virtue's Last Reward is one of the best characters I ever encountered. (VLR spoilers)
Even though I admit I always had the faint fear she would horribly betray me. But in the end I always trusted her in my first playthrough and it was well rewarded. :)

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
My first thought is that I wonder if this will turn out like Apollo Justice.

But I'm on board regardless. Well, if it releases here. ;_;

Dice//

Banned
New sidekick sounds....boring.

I hope they give her some weird quirk. I'm not asking for the "energetic sidekick" we've had in all eight-or-so titles before, but *something*.

Still, I can't *WAIT* for this. I liked Dual Destinies, but the series was losing a bit of steam. I think this will be a nice, fresh start.

Totakeke

Yay, I do think the series needed a fresh start anyway as much as I don't mind spending all that time with the games after AA3. Let the man do what he wants.

Unfortunately it seems like a hard game to market to new audiences here. Selling to only your existing fanbase isn't always sustainable.

Eusis

Has this been confirmed for a western release?
Or is "The Great Ace Attorney" simply some kind of fan translated title that's making the rounds?
Undoubtedly, Siliconera tends to do that crap. I think it's fine to try to provide your own take on what the name MIGHT be when translated but at least provide the original damn version. They did this with the Kiseki games too, calling them Trails in the Flash or Trails of Blue (the last one actually seems like it's definitely a case of jumping the gun given I caught a post in the Learning Japanese thread where it's ambiguous when that word's used for whether it's referring to green or blue... and I do see a lot of green on the cover.)

Siliconera kind of frustrates me deeply as a news site.

Eusis

From Polygon:

Dai Gyakuten Saiban - Naruhodou Ryuunosuke no Bouken

Take that as you will. Personally I suspect if it gets localized and doesn't suffer the fate of at least the first samurai Yakuza game they'd pick an entirely different name.

jaxword

"A long lost city of Japanese colonists that managed to evade detection in California for hundreds of years..."

Eusis

Literally "The Great Turnabout Trial - Ryuunosuke Naruhodou's Adventure".
Yeah, it's a reasonable assumption (and I figured as much admittedly) I just think it's in really poor form to use ONLY your attempt at a translation and not give the original name or even mention it's just your attempt at a translation. This isn't like Final Fantasy or something that either clearly showed an English name or you could reasonably deduce an English name from the katakana, it's just them making up a name and using only that. Maybe someone can shoot my opinion down but I feel like that's really bad reporting. Kind of like we-make-up-numbers-chartz except with at least some basis in reality.

Shengar

I seriously hope they bring this over and just keep the setting.
Yeah they've done excellent job with the AA games so far, but this is just it. I prefer they rather keep the setting as it is rather trying so hard stretching it out.

Edit: If they do bring it to the west, I'll pass and wait till my Japanese sufficient enough to play it in native language. I love Meiji era and I don't want them to screw it up for me.

Eusis

Yeah they've done excellent job with the AA games so far, but this is just it. I prefer they rather keep the setting as it is rather trying so hard stretching it out.
Honestly I do think the best approach is to go ahead and localize the names, then run with the Meiji setting otherwise. A lot of the appeal was always in the pun names so unless they're suddenly going to drop that for a more serious adventure or something it's probably the most reasonable compromise between their prior localization style and the fact you simply can't bury something like this. Anime designs generally leaving ethnicity arbitrary for the purposes of American/European localization and modern civilization not being THAT wildly distinct between most first world countries made it work before, but now it's impossible to avoid without effectively remaking the game. And at that point it may as well be another complimentary side series set in the past.

... Though I guess they could leave the names alone anyway and include translation notes in the (digital) manual.

Giever

I seriously can't wait to hear about how this game actually plays. Also, I kind of hope that the main character is the only direct connection to the other games (in other words, that there won't be other ancestors running about).

“She’s basically the type of person that she appears to be. Pretty much a graceful Japanese woman, a proper girl who does everything the proper way.” - Kojima

Hmm..

wVhbG3H.png

ZeroX03

Banned

Praise the Lord, I suspected as much but now it's confirmed. Athena the giggly teenage attorney was awful.

Young Mia was fantastic.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Has this been confirmed for a western release?
Or is "The Great Ace Attorney" simply some kind of fan translated title that's making the rounds?

Siliconera is utterly obnoxious when it comes to this. It's either giving titles their own unofficial way-too-literal translations that miss the point entirely, or just assuming their readers are idiots and playing word substitution. It's presumptuous and disingenuous and I really wish they'd stop.

Basically they've got the entirety of the internet calling Sen no Kiseki "Trails in the Flash" when even the guys at xseed came out and said that it's a stupid translation and there's no way they'd ever call it that if they actually got a chance to localize the game.

I seriously can't wait to hear about how this game actually plays. Also, I kind of hope that the main character is the only direct connection to the other games (in other words, that there won't be other ancestors running about).

Hmm..

wVhbG3H.png

Well, looks like we know who the final case's villain will be.

"I must cut the body in half... properly..."

A different feel behind its play and not going for the ever recurring peppy sidekick for a change? okay, now I'm more on board than I was before.

Meia

Praise the Lord, I suspected as much but now it's confirmed. Athena the giggly teenage attorney was awful.

Young Mia was fantastic.

"Giggly"? You mean the one that would have a mental breakdown once per case, that Athena? :p

Still, good to have a difference with the side characters once in awhile. Definitely can't wait to see what they do with this. :)

Top Bottom