• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

X360's LTD will finally surpass Wii in NA; 3DS sells 10x Vita's for June

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Source can't be legit, search on your favorite engine about the 360 passing Wii sales and you will find tons of articles. Somethings wrong.

Source IS legit and Sales-Age Mods approved.
You're wrong, don't know which articles you're mentioning but they either reference shipped numbers or, probably, simply unreliable.

Yeah I don't get this. There seems to be this myth that the PS3 has already passed up the 360 worldwide yet nobody can give concrete official numbers to support it.

It's been said on this site numerous times. I mean the sales gap while still small actually widened didn't it?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Now your running, instead of trying to look up the claims of even microsoft saying it was number one you now roll back and say NPD is the only reliable source of information. I won before the argument started.

I'm sure you put much effort as I did considering I never got a link to chartz at all.

Was that too much? I was going for the Mitt Romney approach.

You can fall and hurt yourself if not careful.

You're going to last long here

You made a thread stating that there is a high possibility that at some point in the coming months 360 US LTD will pass Wii US LTD? Really?

There's still a 300k difference so we're talking probably November at this point. A full 3 or 4 months. Seems a super premature thread

Note: I do think it will happen but we're months away from it

Petrae

Source IS legit and Sales-Age Mods approved.
You're wrong, don't know which articles you're mentioning but they either reference shipped numbers or, probably, simply unreliable.

It's important to note that these are NPD numbers that are verified. If there are internal (Sony/MS/Nintendo) numbers that disagree with NPD's data, then there's a potential dispute.

In the US, I tend to stick with NPD because that's where data is consistently pulled from. It may not be "dead-on balls accurate", but it's the closest that I think we have here.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
that's what happens when you completely screw up the last two to three years of your console's life span.

good job, Nintendo

It's been said on this site numerous times. I mean the sales gap while still small actually widened didn't it?

You've posted this numerous times in two threads, I think the burden of proof is on you to post a source.

The 360 has never passed the Wii in the US or North America.

Edit: Just did a quick Bing search (for that extra layer of MS bias) for the terms "360 passes Wii in North America", and I see a bunch of articles about the 360 passing the Wii in the UK (which is actually a thing that happened), a few articles speculating on when the 360 will pass the Wii in NA (because it's going to happen), and a charttzzz article claiming that it did happen.

So what are you talking about?

It's important to note that these are NPD numbers that are verified. If there are internal (Sony/MS/Nintendo) numbers that disagree with NPD's data, then there's a potential dispute.

In the US, I tend to stick with NPD because that's where data is consistently pulled from. It may not be "dead-on balls accurate", but it's the closest that I think we have here.

I support this is a better way of putting it. Also i though the vita sold more than that, hmm. Not sure what can save it at this point other than a risk taking price drop on both the system and memory cards.

libregkd

Source can't be legit, search on your favorite engine about the 360 passing Wii sales and you will find tons of articles. Somethings wrong.
I'm not finding these articles of yours. Every article I'm finding are speculating that the 360 LTD was going to pass Wii LTD in the US by the end of 2013, none actually saying that that had happened.

Prove to me you tried looking with a screen cap of search results and then i will post links. Don;t back down from you claiming to try.

lol ok sure

8p8nZw5.png

I'm not finding these articles of yours. Every article I'm finding are speculating that the 360 LTD was going to pass Wii LTD in the US by the end of 2013, none actually saying that that had happened.

Read above post.There was an Asterix in my article. it was talking about best selling consistently for X months..

I support this is a better way of putting it. Also i though the vita sold more than that, hmm. Not sure what can save it at this point other than a risk taking price drop on both the system and memory cards.
There's no saving it. The dedicate handheld market is so diminished that it can only really support one handheld and Sony has proven it's not a serious competitor in this space. It will live and be marketed as a niche indie machine and high-end accessory for the PS4.

Eolz

You got this round OP.
You should take discussions less seriously, you're not running for election.

Vita didn't sell a lot last month as well, it's just like the boost it gets sometimes in Japan, it just got back to its (more or less) regular numbers.

There's no saving it. The dedicate handheld market is so diminished that it can only really support one handheld and Sony has proven it's not a serious competitor in this space. It will live and be marketed as a niche indie machine and high-end accessory for the PS4.

I don't know man, I can see a turn around if Sony takes the price risk. I mean sure it will take them awhile to recover but...

Is this even relevant? The next gen started in 2012. If you want, you could say it started in 2013 when the HD twins also released their successors.

Also, the undead 360 crawling to narrow victory in one territory after 10 years on the market in late 2014/early 2015 (or whenever it crosses the line) doesn't mean that the system didn't get beat by many more in the rest of the world.

But yeah...since 7th gen is still getting releases of note, GG MS! Nintendo could've moved more units and kept their machine alive if they didn't botch 2010 and 2011, I suppose.

Phediuk

Is this even relevant? The next gen started in 2012. If you want, you could say it started in 2013 when the HD twins also released their successors.

Also, the undead 360 crawling to narrow victory in one territory after 10 years on the market in late 2014/early 2015 (or whenever it crosses the line) doesn't mean that the system didn't get beat by many more in the rest of the world.

But yeah...since 7th gen is still getting releases of note, GG MS! Nintendo could've moved more units and kept their machine alive if they didn't botch 2010 and 2011, I suppose.

360 passed the Wii in the UK too.

What are the PS3/Wii numbers for Europe specifically?

I don't know man, I can see a turn around if Sony takes the price risk. I mean sure it will take them awhile to recover but...
You're more than welcome to think that, but a turnaround isn't likely to happen at all. They were pretty clear about the console's positioning on the Playstation Blog where they essentially stated that they had no retail titles in the pipeline.

Considering the 360 launched a year before the Wii and Nintendo almost completely dropped support for the system at the end of 2010 (Skyward Sword in Nov. '11 being the only major release during the console's final two years), I'm actually pretty surprised it's taken MS this long to surpass Nintendo.

One of these days, maybe Nintendo will learn to support a console throughout its entire life.

The race didn't end just because Nintendo quit. It ends when the consoles stop selling, and the 360 hasn't. If 360 sells more than the Wii in North America, then 360 wins North America, end of story.

I know that. I was trying to point out how it wasn't "amazing".

You're more than welcome to think that, but a turnaround isn't likely to happen at all. They were pretty clear about the console's positioning on the Playstation Blog where they essentially stated that they had no retail titles in the pipeline.

They did? But even then, they are still pushing Cross-play and with the PS4 selling well dropping vita memory cards by 45% and making the regular $150 with the slim around $200 could probably turn a lot of head. I mean that's how they got the Go to get a little boost after its initial horrific failure. Also the Xperia Play.

blackjaw

I bought five 360s over its life...they just kept dying and I kept going back! Compared to my two PS3s (60gig and a slim). And one Wii. I bought 8 consoles last gen alone.

Considering the 360 launched a year before the Wii and Nintendo almost completely dropped support for the system at the end of 2010 (Skyward Sword in Nov. '11 being the only major release during the console's final two years), I'm actually pretty surprised it's taken MS this long to surpass Nintendo.

One of these days, maybe Nintendo will learn to support a console throughout it's entire life.

They won't. The 3DS has had minimal support from them this year (Brarely Default, Mario Golf, Kirby, Smash, Pokemon, I don't think I am missing any) and next year (likely last or second last year) looks even drier.

The Bigger question here is will the PS3 and 360 reach or pass the Wii LTD world wide. Originally i though that would be the case, but they are just getting to 84 million each.

The only way i can see it is if they both finally get a realistic price drop, maybe if they do what the Xbox 1 did and start having 3 360/Ps3 games along with the console for $99 or something less. Then I can see them passing the Wii LTD worldwide.

As for the U.S., The Ps3 still has a chance to beat the Wii LTD but they need to, like Microsoft, learn when something is not worth $200 that is nearly 8 years old.

kswiston

3DS will probably pass the PSP in America but it looks like it won't even sniff the GBA (41 million in the Americas, jesus christ!)

I don't think you have to qualify that with 'looks like'

3DS has been out for 3 years and is just past 15m. It won't even hit 30m, let alone 40m.

I'd say it's pretty impressive to be the 2nd best selling console of time.

The 360 is also the console with the longest time on the market. If it didn't become one of the best selling consoles in its home territory, it wouldn't have lasted this long. How many other consoles have had 9 years on the market?

Top Bottom