• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U Miiverse Update Thread XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.
KNEE OF JUSTICE

BxNb8M7IEAA0j7F.png:small

Niosai

I really enjoy how dedicated Sakurai is to this game. With a few already speculating about Smash 5 (weirdly enough) and what he'll do differently next time, it makes me wonder. Do you think Sakurai will keep the same role next time around? He was talking about how these games were making him physically ill.

Finally made it to redeem download code. It's just sitting there with the spinning circle.

What the hell do I do now?

Edit: lol OF COURSE I get an error code now.

WAIT AGHIT'S DOWNLOADINGGGG

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Jesus, this game is gorgeous. GORGEOUS. Villager is so much fun :D Can't wait for the full game.

Yep, this game is very impressive for 3DS itself! I can't wait to buy full version! :D

Lucky enough that demo is unlimited so I don't have to worry about it being gone.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
I opened up my 3DS - battery is dead!

I can't download my code yet! OMG

*Stares at 3DS battery bar

BreakJohn

i know the odds of getting a code from a generous person are very low but i'll give it a shot anyway. anyone who has a spare code i'll take it off your hands ;D

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Can you guys tell me which characters are available on the demo? I won't be home to download the demo for another 4 hours.

Thanks!

Same as Japan: Mario, Link, Pikachu, Mega Man, and Villager.

ffdgh

Yeah, my brawl knowledge is a bit rusty but he definetly feels better. Same goes for the other veterans in the demo, they all feel new and fresh compared to their brawl variants.

Mostly he got a much needed speed and recovery buff.

Can you guys tell me which characters are available on the demo? I won't be home to download the demo for another 4 hours.

Thanks!

Mario, link, Pikachu, Villager, Megaman

Mario / Link / Pikachu / Villager / Mega Man

Mario, Link, Pikachu, Villager and Mega Man

Edit: So beaten.

Same as Japan: Mario, Link, Pikachu, Mega Man, and Villager.

Mario
Link
Villager
Mega Man
Pikachu

Mario, Pikachu, Link, Villager and Megaman

Mario, link, Pikachu, Villager, Megaman

Awesome, can't wait to try out Villager.

Mistle

Any way for an Australian to get a code?

We don't have platinum statuses or anything. But I do buy a lot of Nintendo stuff every year.

edit: wrong thread, sorry!

Okay guys, the embargo on that stupid PAX event is finally up... not that it matters at this point anyway!

I typed up a whole post for you guys of things I saw and played right after the event, but I knew with the embargo of the Japanese release date that anything interesting/exclusive I had to say would be long known by the time I got to say it. So don't expect anything interesting, but I'm going to copy-and-paste my original post here anyway just in case you guys still want to know my impressions on characters in the starting roster, Classic Mode, etc.

Basically, we got to play the final retail build with unlocks turned off, same as that Japanese demo event last week. Yes, it's stupid that I wasn't allowed to talk about something the Japanese public was playing a week ago. Not much I can do about it. :/ THERE WERE NO NEW CHARACTERS SHOWN OFF OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT. No Dixie, no Chorus Kids, nothing. They wouldn't even talk about the unlockable characters, so we didn't even get to see or try Ness, Wario, Duck Hunt Dog, etc. Ironic, right? And you guys thought I might know some crazy secret shit. :p

Read on for my impressions and info. I will bold the things I think you guys might still find particularly interesting despite the fact that the game's out now and we know so much more about it. Here we go:

- Shulk is really fun to play. He's somewhere between Marth and Ike in terms of speed, but the Monado really has a good heft to it and has lots of range. Backslash is just fun to use, and switching between his Monado Arts (neutral B) is easy, quick, and makes him really versatile. His recovery is only average, though.

- Pac-Man is also really fun. He's kind of slow, but his whole move set is just full of Namco nostalgia and his side B is super fun to use. Unfortunately, his B-Down (Fire Hydrant or whatever) seems to be kind of worthless. I couldn't find much utility for it. His recovery is interesting in that it's not initially very good, but it creates a trampoline that he can bounce on multiple times, giving him a "safety net" of sorts. His recovery beyond that, though, really isn't great. Mega Man's is a lot better, for instance.

- Palutena is beastly powerful, but pretty slow and fairly easily punished (as we all suspected). Her smashes have crazy range, though, and in general she's fun to use... but it is a shame her default specials are so much less interesting than her custom specials. Her reflect move (side B I think?) works just like Urien's from Street Fighter III.

- The Mii Fighters are not a joke. They're fun to set up/customize and every bit as capable as the regular characters, and they're fun to use and seem totally viable in serious play. Well, at least the Mii Gunner and Swordfighter are; the Mii Brawler seems a lot less capable and has to work a lot harder to land hits and KOs than his brethren, IMO. Some Mii Fighter moves are clearly based on existing characters' moves; for example, Mii Gunner's up smash is clearly Samus's up smash. This is only occasionally the case, though, and most of the Mii Fighters' moves are original.

- Mii Fighters' Final Smashes: Mii Gunner's is a cross between the Zero Laser and Lucario's old FS (a giant horizontal beam that can slowly be guided). Mii Swordfighter's is basically Mario Finale or Wii Fit but with sword waves/shockwaves instead. Mii Brawler's is Greninja's FS straight up, with a crazy combo being done to the helpless opponent in midair, but without the cool moon background/silhouette effect.

- Oddly, the Mii Fighters are NOT known as such on the CSS; they're simply called "Mii." Even the announcer says as much.

- Each character had several more alts than we've all seen in the E3/SDCC/PAX public demos. Four of Olimar's alts are actually Alph (he's even called Alph on the CSS), so that leak/rumor is legit (as if we didn't know by now).

- Fox has a Wolf color alt (it is NOT Wolf himself). Can't remember if he had that in Brawl or not.

- Toon Link has two alt colors based on Zelda 1 (like in Brawl) and A Link Between Worlds.

- Additional Mega Man alts are MM 3 Gemini Laser (white and light blue), MM 7 Slash Claw (green and yellow), and if I remember correctly, MM 1 Fire Storm/MM 2 Atomic Fire (red and orange). No Proto Man alt so far. :(

- Aside from Dark Link, Link has a Fierce Deity (Majora's Mask) alt. It looks as badass as you think it does.

- I was able to unlock some custom specials, most notably some of Mega Man's. His other neutral Bs are Hyper Bomb (MM 1) and Shadow Blade (MM 3), both of which are significantly better than the Metal Blade. Shadow Blade still feels like it's a lot slower than it should be, though. Hyper Bomb is great and is thrown in an arc, like in Mega Man 1. His other up B besides Rush Coil and Beat is the Tornado Hold (MM 8). It lets Mega Man fly up on a tornado updraft (like in MM 8) and attack opponents while he's doing it (he doesn't go into a recovery state). Recovery-wise it's not quite as good as Rush Coil, but if leaves you with more options. I wasn't able to unlock Beat, unfortunately. I also wasn't able to any of his custom side or down Bs, so nothing there (other than Plant Barrier of course, but I wasn't able to actually use it).

- I went through all of the Final Smashes we haven't officially seen. Peach (ugh), Diddy, Ike, and Meta Knight's FSes are all unchanged. However, I was surprised to find that King Dedede, like Kirby, has a new FS and it's MUCH better! He inhales an opponent, spits them out, and then just goes to town on them with his hammer, smacking them and launching bombs at them. Not sure if it can be used on multiple targets or just one, but you activate it by successfully hitting a target right in front of you. Palutena's FS is cool-looking but seems surprisingly weak power-wise (not sure about that though), and Shulk's FS is great (it's basically just like Robin's except with Dunban and Riki instead of Chrom).

- The default stage list is apparently everything seen in the leak minus F-Zero SNES, Game Boy, WarioWare, the pink stage (Magicant?), Balloon Fight, Flat Zone 2, and Pac-Maze.

- PictoChat is NOT a returning stage from Brawl; it's actually PictoChat 2, a new stage. It's basically PictoChat but with new obstacles drawn onto the arena, and it feels quite a bit smaller than the original PictoChat stage too.

- N's Castle is actually called "Unova Pokémon League" in the game.

- The past stages, despite being from Melee and Brawl, have been updated quite nicely graphically and look quite good (not amazing) on the 3DS, especially with the 3D on. I'd say Corneria and Jungle Japes have benefitted the most, Mushroomy Kingdom and Distant Planet the least.

- Mushroomy Kingdom still sucks. SUCKS.

- I went through the Sounds section and had a ball. Got to listen to soooo many arrangements that aren't listed on the site (yet); a new SMB 3 arrangement, Mega Man 2 Classic Medley, MM 2 Air Man remix, MM 3 Spark Man remix, several Xenoblade originals, a Kid Icarus Uprising remix, a Paper Mario medley, etc. So. Much. Good. Stuff.

- I played through Classic Mode a few times. As we know, you choose from multiple paths; paths with more coins on them lead to harder battles. Intensity 4.0 was pretty much a cakewalk, and at the end I was able to choose between a final battle with Master Hand or Master Hand & Crazy Hand together. Intensity 8.5 was significantly harder, but I was able to make it through without losing a stock... until the final battle. My only option on this intensity was the Master Hand/Crazy Hand duo, except this time I KOed them almost immediately... and then they were taken over and replaced by the "Master Core," a really wild, disturbing-looking energy monster type thing (kinda like Tabuu I guess, but it's not him) whose HP you can't see and who goes through multiple crazy forms like a scorpion, set of swords, etc. as you damage it. Master Core was REALLY hard and I got a Game Over to it (and had to leave the event after that, so I didn't get to try again). Don't know if Master Core is the "surprise" Sakurai talked about, but Tabuu was thankfully nowhere to be seen (though I didh't get to play on max intensity, so...).

- Smash 3DS has its own credits mini-game. You basically attack the credits so that they fly into the background, filling in a picture specific to the character you're playing. There is skill involved such that you have to attack the credits when they're flying by the area that you need to fill in in the background. It's kind of hard to explain. It can also be pretty hard to complete because once you get to like 98 or 99% picture completion, seeing what you're missing becomes almost impossible. From what I can tell, getting 100% gets you nothing but 100 gold and a congrats message, but I could be wrong about that.

- These credits pictures (and the character trophy you're awarded after beating the game) differ between Classic and All-Star Mode.

- All-Star was incredibly easy on Medium. Don't know about Easy or Hard.

- The first page of Challenges is incredibly simple. Sakurai wasn't kidding; these challenges are VERY easy and all of them are pretty much a case of when, not if you'll complete them. Brawl's and Kid Icarus Uprising's challenges are like a million times harder compared to the ones here. Hopefully they get quite a bit harder on subsequent pages. (I didn't originally know there was more than one page when I first wrote this, but I amended it now that I do.)

- Trophy Rush is fun and definitely the best way to get a lot of trophies quickly. You fill up the bar at the top left by attacking the various boxes and things that drop, and once the bar is full you go into "Fever" mode and for a limited time, EVERYTHING that drops is a trophy, gold, or a custom part. Mostly gold and trophies though. Once Fever runs out, rinse and repeat. Bombs and exploding blocks hurt you, and if you're KOed you lose 15 seconds from the clock. You can spend gold to get more time for a Trophy Rush, with the max being two minutes and 30 seconds, which costs 900 gold from what I remember. In my best Trophy Run, I got 32 trophies (a few repeats, of course).

- The Trophy Shop updated with new trophies a couple of times while I was playing. I never bought out all the available trophies at once, so I don't know what causes them to update.

- Trophies in the shop seem to cost anywhere between 1-20 Play Coins depending on rarity and how much gold they normally cost.

- I unlocked the Polar Bear trophy, and when you list your trophies by series, it's under "Other," not "Ice Climbers." :(

- I unlocked an Ivysaur trophy. :(

- Mega Man trophies: I won the X trophy in Trophy Run, I bought the MegaMan.EXE trophy in the shop, and I got two different Mega Man trophies by completing Classic and All-Star with him (as expected). His alt (All-Star) trophy is him using the Metal Blade in his Metal Blade colors.

- Game looks great with and without the character outlines, but I think it looks better with the outlines. There are three different settings: no outlines, thin outlines, and thick outlines. I prefer the third setting.

- The Custom screen is a bit of a mess and sadly more trouble than a lot of people are going to want to deal with. The process of turning Customizations on and then selecting a custom setup for your character is fairly convoluted and not at all obvious IMO. But my main beef is that even when you go to the Custom menu to set up a character, you can't test out alt specials there; you have to set up alt specials, then back all the way out, go into a match, select the custom setup with the alt specials you want to try, and then try them out in a match (or Training). How custom specials are not able to be tested against the Sandbag from right within the Custom screen is beyond me, but I REALLY didn't like this (and I'm all for custom specials themselves).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom