• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ask Skin Care Questions Here | Featuring Leona Lewis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Touchdown

Banned
It's not BS, actually. A silicone-based scar treatment gel or serum works well when loaded with skin-healing ingredients and antioxidants like quercertin. Vitamin C works better in my opinion because in addition to helping with flattening the raised bump, it also lightens the scar.

The best regimen, though, is one that involves a wide variety of antioxidants, cell-communicating ingredients, and anti-irritants. If only there were one single God ingredient, but skin care is about using a range of "helpers" to encourage and accelerate the skin's natural healing and exfoliation cycle.

The skin care kingteuse. <3
ec20fb7f.gif

They're typically the same no matter what season, although I've been having really bad breakouts lately.

Not itchy.

They're a combination of both small bumps and actual large zits. I have one on my shoulder blade right now that's huge.
If they're big, then it's probably not keratosis pilaris as I originally suspected (hence that line of questioning) and instead just your typical bacteria-induced acne. So basically, even though people often think of acne breakouts as a facial issue, for those who struggle with blemishes on other parts of their body (like backs, neck, thighs, or boo-tay), it's the same course of action as for facial acne:

- Don't use bar soap or cleansers - the ingredients that allow bar cleansers to stay in bar form can clog pores
- Don't use abrasive body scrubs like ones containing microbeads (acne can't be scrubbed away)
- Use a gentle, water-soluble cleanser
- Apply BHA (salicylic acid) to the affected area (I like Paula's Choice 2% BHA Liquid, but their 2% cream might be better for shoulders than the liquid one)
- Since this is traditional acne I suspect, benzoyl peroxide or tea tree oil (or alternate them one day to the next) after the BHA. I like Rugby's 5% benzoyl peroxide because it doesn't bleach clothing, which is important if you're going to be putting it on your shoulders (its encapsulation process is higher-quality than even ProActiv).

So I take this would also help with acne scaring and dark spots?
It depends on the type of scarring. For pitted/rolling scars (scars that indent due to collagen loss), no topical will help unfortunately. All that would help are dermal fillers (i.e. expensive plastic surgery).

But for raised scars or discoloration, then exfoliation is the number one thing you can do. Vitamin C is a great supplementary measure, though.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I've read so many comments on this on the internet over the past few days I can't remember if you ever commented on it- applying BHAs like 2% SA and retin-a around the same time of day, okay or a no-no?

I've read so many comments on this on the internet over the past few days I can't remember if you ever commented on it- applying BHAs and retin-a around the same time of day, okay or a no-no?
The only active ingredient that doesn't play nice with Retin-A (generic term = tretinoin) is benzoyl peroxide because of its oxidative qualities.

Infinite

It depends on the type of scarring. For pitted/rolling scars (scars that indent due to collagen loss), no topical will help unfortunately. All that would help are dermal fillers (i.e. expensive plastic surgery).

But for raised scars or discoloration, then exfoliation is the number one thing you can do. Vitamin C is a great supplementary measure, though.
Ah ok thanks. I been using a fade cream to help get rid of the discoloration but I'm skeptical about it.

Heh, skin care is a science, but it's also detective work sometimes :p

You have to go nuclear to fade a hypertrophic scar. Here's the checklist I'd abide by for at least the next six months:

1) Cleanse twice a day with CeraVe Foaming Cleanser to eliminate surface bacteria and dirt
2) Wear sunscreen every day, rain or shine - spring, summer, fall, winter! The blemish-causing UVA rays penetrate clouds, glass, and sheer/thin clothing, so unless it's night time, you're exposed and your skin's ability to heal from trauma will be compromised. I like the Kiss My Face Face + Neck SPF 30 because it's a blend of mineral/synthetic sunscreen actives that apply with a matte finish.
3) Exfoliate using Paula's Choice 2% BHA Liquid (or Paula's Choice CLEAR Extra Strength Exfoliant if you like manlier packaging) at night

That's the bare minimum for anyone, but for your specific needs (scar/dryness), you need to go further:

4) Apply a Vitamin C serum like the Hamilton Healthcare brand twice a day to help lighten/fade the appearance of the scar and moisturize your face.
5) Don't touch or pick at the area, or irritate it with any type of alcohol-based skin care products.
Bonus: Dump the chapstick (100% petroleum jelly or mineral oil based lip balms are a scam) and use Aquaphor on your lips, preferably the Lip Repair + Protect SPF 30.

I just bought everything here. Thank you.

Also, are there any anti-aging eye balms you'd recommend?

GrizzNKev

Banned
My face is horrible, worse than anyone I know. Bad to the point where some days I don't want to go outside. I live in the U.S. and am willing to put in the effort to cure my endless ugly. Can someone write a starter guide for people who have no idea how to take care of their skin? Not just like, which products to use, but also how and when to use them.

I have a few questions Leona.

I've been using the Paula's Choice 2% BHA Liquid based on your rec since the past week and a half or so (I never really used an exfoliant before), and it's made my skin look and feel a lot better, especially my nose which was a huge problem area.

There are still a bunch of lingering blackheads in that area though. Should just keep up the new skin care regimen or try to push the darn things out and start 'fresh' (if that's even a thing)?

And I'm not really sure how to apply the exfoliant. I've been doing it with a cotton pad as directed, but tonight I applied it with my finger and it felt more effective, like it was actually spreading on my face. Which way do you think is better?

Another recent problem I've been having with my skin are these little white/skin-colored bumps. They're like little sacs filled with this stringy, white stuff that I can squeeze out. They're sorta soft to the touch and vary from small to medium size. There's two relatively big ones on my upper nose (near the bridge) and my upper inner cheek. A bunch of littler ones also recently formed on my right cheek. Any advice on what to do about these?

They can be overly harsh and irritating on sensitive skin, so I only recommend them for people on higher strength Retin-A for example who literally cannot go a day without flaking. Clarisonic is good but expensive. There are a bunch of knock-offs, all of which are dreadful because they rely on vibration alone.

9 times out of 10, gently rubbing with a washcloth is the better choice anyway. And unless you have a condition that produces skin flaking, there's no benefit anyway because gentle, water-soluble cleansers (like CeraVe Foaming Cleanser) do a great job of sloughing away dirt, excess oil, and dead skin on the surface.
Thanks! One more question.

What one or two step daily cleanser would your recommend for a 20 something male with oily skin? I use Neutrogena Oil Free Acne Stress Control Power-Cream Wash and then follow it with the 3 in 1 Hydrating Acne Treatment. It has worked pretty well for me for the past 5+ years, but lately it seems like it's not enough. (Plus, Neutrogena loves to randomly stop making the 3 in 1 Treatment every once in a while, like right now.)

I wanna try something else, if only so I have an alternative. (Though if it works better, I'll of course switch.) But I don't want to spend tons of time or money on something new. I like how easy to use the stuff I have now is, but it's not always as effective as I want it to be, and it's frustrating when I can't get the 3 in 1 Treatment. My acne is pretty mild, but when I do get blemishes they are mainly around the nose, mouth and chin, and rarely the forehead, and it's usually a just single bump. I almost never break out on my checks or temples anymore. (I did a lot when I was a teen though, and have the scars to prove it. :/)

Go_Ly_Dow

Leona I purchased an exfoliator following your recommendation to combat my oily skin.

Could you tell me how often to use, best time to use, how best to apply and finally how long to leave it on for?

Oh and also when to moisturise!

Thank you :)

Leona:
I have very dry, sensitive, and extremely acne-prone skin. I get the massive under-grounders that last forever as well as tiny red bumps. Recently, my skin has taken to peeling and breaking out at the same time. I'm 26 and so frustrated. I used proactiv for years and switched to Mary Kay Botanicals (super gentle) but I am just breaking out worse and my skin never feels clean. Stopped Proactiv in March, by the way. I wear CC cream with SPF rather foundation to help ease irritation but if I don't wear something my skin breaks out even worse. Any advice?

meow

Okay, Leona. I can't seem to fall asleep so I've got a question for you.

I had terrible backne as a teen, and even now, I still get the occasional zit on my back. My shoulders are constantly plagued by small pimples. How do I get rid of them? My shoulders are massively scarred and I would like to clear them up too, if possible.

I don't know as much about skin care as Leona, but I just wanted to jump in on this one. Pretty sure I've seen you in girlgaf so I just wanted to say I had this problem too, acne on back since I was a teen, sometimes it was better and sometimes worse, but it was never actually clear. I've tried so many topicals and this last summer it got particularly bad so I got it in my head I wanted accutane and went to a derm at the end of the summer. As soon as he heard it had been going on for so long (I'm in mid-20s now) he immediately said it was probably hormonal and absolutely refused accutane. I argued with him for like 20 minutes, said I'm already on BC, etc etc but in the end, he convinced me to try spiranolactone for 3 months and then get another evaluation. I've been on it for 1.5 months and everything's gone (was like 95% better after just a month). So I just wanted to say it might be worth seeing a doc! Good luck.

Samara

Hydroquinone and Octisalate

You also need to say what's the percentage. 2 percent won't do much iof theyre super dark. 4% can be found behind the pharmacy counter (in canada). And you only should apply it to the dots.As its pretty concentrated, gel works better too

ampere

EJEUSS SJFUCK NOOOOOOOO

STOP THAT NOW RIGHT NOW

CERAVE FOAMING CLEANSER

BYE I HAVE TO LIE DOWN NOW

Lol I know this post is a bit older, but made me laugh. I also use Dove bars to wash my face ;x

My skin isn't great, pretty pale and sensitive so perhaps I should check out one of those face washes you mentioned. I don't really have acne anymore (25), but I do get ingrown hairs a lot. Not sure if there is a good way to stop those. And razor burn on my neck when I shave.

vort3x

I have Psoriasis on my face and scalp. When it flares it gets really bad and next few days super flaky and itchy :( . I've stopped using soap on my face and scalp for months now and it has definitely improved. I use Cerave moisturizer daily which helps a lot. I used to use Cetaphil but it was too greasy and didn't help much. Anything else you recommend using? I don't scrub my face because it just makes it worse. i scrub with water only when I have to get rid of the dry skin thats flaking.

dbztrk

Leona or anyone else that can help, I keep getting these white heads on my nose and surrounding areas. It doesn't matter what I do (wash, toner, sulfur masque, squeeze them out) they come back within the next day or two. I have very oily skin.

The following is my skin care regimen:

1. REN Rosa Centifolia™ Foaming Cleanser
2. Proactive revitalizing toner
3. Neutrogena Visibly Even Daily Moisturizer, SPF 30

Do you know of anything that can stop these from forming? Do you think that it is something in my regimen that are causing them?

Thank you.

I'll respond to everyone's questions tonight (and the PMs too!), but in the meantime, looks like Samara's got you all covered. Girl knows her stuff~
grin.gif

Beats

Is there an alternative to Paula's Choice 2% BHA Liquid that can be bought in Canada? I looked on Amazon.ca, but it's double (or more) the price compared to Amazon. com. I can't seem to find it anywhere else. I found the CeraVe moisturizing lotion and cleanser on well.ca though, and I saw some products that contain salicylic acid but I'm not entirely sure which ones are good.

Infinite

You also need to say what's the percentage. 2 percent won't do much iof theyre super dark. 4% can be found behind the pharmacy counter (in canada). And you only should apply it to the dots.As its pretty concentrated, gel works better too
Sorry, it's about 2% and 3% respectively. Gel?

Top 5 Products? Easy.

1) Cleanser = CeraVe Foaming Facial Cleanser
2) Toner = Paula's Choice Skin Recovery Enriched Calming Toner
3) Exfoliant = Paula's Choice 2% BHA Liquid
4) Serum = Olay Regenerist Regenerating Serum (Fragrance-Free)
5) Body Lotion = Olay Quench Ultra Moisture Body Lotion with Shea Butter

6) Moisturizer with Sunscreen = Kiss My Face (SPF 30) in fall/winter/spring or Thinkbaby (SPF 50+) in summer

Other stuff I use, but not necessarily everyday:

Tea Tree Oil (whatever's on sale)
Vitamin C serum (VoilaVe)
Aloe Vera Gel (Fruit of the Earth)

Saving this post to show my wife for future reference

televator

The Clean & Clear Advantage Cleanser is way too drying (full of sulfates), not to mention that salicylic acid in a cleanser is pointless since exfoliants work only when left on the skin. Since you rinse off a cleanser within 15-20 seconds, there is no absorption and thus no exfoliation. Salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide or antioxidants or peptides or etc. etc. have absolutely no effect when used in cleansers.

The Deep Exfoliation Scrub is trash - physical exfoliation is the worst thing you can do for acne-prone or sensitive skin short of rubbing sandpaper on it.

The Continuous Control Acne Cleanser seems really redundant. Using both the Advantage Cleanser and this cleanser twice a day is absolutely stripping your skin of the natural moisture it needs. Disastrous consequences if you keep cleansing four times a day with such harsh, drying concoctions.

My opinion on face masks was the reason I angrily entered this thread, so... :p

Salicylic acid is a great way to brighten and minimize the appearance of your post-acne scars, but be sure it's in a leave-on delivery mechanism like a toner or cream. Benzoyl peroxide's only effect is on active pustules, so it's not really necessary unless you have acne on the surface right now. It won't penetrate deep enough to get to the small bumps you talk about - that's BHA's job.

Okay so replace the cleanser with a less drying one, cut the mask and the exfoliant, get a salicylic cream and some sort of BHA product. I guess my only question is: If I don't use an exfoliant scrub, how to I get rid of excess skin? I get a lot of it and simply washing doest do much.

Thank you so much.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
So I've had acne for a long ass time (since I was 14, now 21), it was under control when I was 18-21, but then it came back pretty bad in recent months. I have very oily skin and even took accutane when I was 18 or so, that knocked out my oil and acne for a few months, but my oil glands kicked into overdrive again a few months later lol. So I've been following this routine for the last week or two but I have no idea if it's even good or not:

Morning: Wash face with water, apply neutrogena spf 30 sunblock + moisturizer (in one).
Midday/Afternoon: I come back from class/the gym with my face all sweaty, so I wash my face with water again, also gets off the sunblock.
Night: Shower + neutrogena cleanser. Apply Aczone after.

Anyhow, anything I should switch up or change? Does this look aight for you skin experts out there?

FuuRe

Dear Ms. Leona Lewis

I'm starting small spots of red skin that resemble psoriasis, i haven't seen a doctor about it since i only have two small spots only about 1cm in diameter, one in my neck, one in my right arm.

I think i'm starting a mild psoriasis, mostly due to stress.

Anything i can use to help my skin to regenerate itself?

Thanks in advance Ms. Leona Lewis i really admire your work

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
It's not BS, actually. A silicone-based scar treatment gel or serum works well when loaded with skin-healing ingredients and antioxidants like quercertin. Vitamin C works better in my opinion because in addition to helping with flattening the raised bump, it also lightens the scar.

The best regimen, though, is one that involves a wide variety of antioxidants, cell-communicating ingredients, and anti-irritants. If only there were one single God ingredient, but skin care is about using a range of "helpers" to encourage and accelerate the skin's natural healing and exfoliation cycle.

That's why I love products like Kiss My Face - you get ascorbic acid in your sunscreen. Like Paula's Choice - you get green tea extract in your BHA. Like CeraVe - you get hyaluronic acid in your cleanser. Combination products are all I recommend because they do so much more for your skin than stuff like benzoyl peroxide and pure, 100% concentration stuff (even though certain things like tea tree oil and rosehip seed oil are great even by themselves).

So in conclusion, pure silicone is a no-no. But a silicone base for a great serum? No BS there.

Thanks, yeah, I was referring to silicone-based scar products, not rubbing pure silicone on my skin. :p I was wondering because I have a couple surgical scars that have some pretty hefty hypertrophic/keloid scarring, and I used silicone patches and creams for a while but they didn't seem to do much.

Subtle

Hello Ms. Lewis! I have recently started to get a lot of teenage (17) acne on one cheek and a couple of ugly cysts on my chin. I don't know anything about skin care so what should I do to my face to make it go away? If you could recommend budget products too that would be appreciated! Thank you!

Edit: my forehead, nose and chin are oily. Everything else isn't

I hit puberty much later (didn't have any form of facial hair until I was 19) and this of course meant I got acne much later in life; 18+

I used to have some bad acne and it did not matter which type of product I used it would not go away. Over the years I started to better understand my skin, it's very very sensitive and gets oily. What I then went onwards to (22+) was picking up the right kind of cleansers/washes/moisturizers which was primarily to be non-comedogenic and oil free. This worked decently until I decided to try the most lightweight exfoiliator I could find, and I ended up getting one of the worst cysts on my right cheekbone I've ever had, it actually had to be cut out.

Since then, I said fuck all this shit simply wash my face with luke warm water in the morning, use an oil free non=comedogenic moisturizer and make sure my sheets are clean, my complexion has never been better. This could be in coincidence with me finally going through that acne stage.

I still get tiny pimples here and there, but nothing drastic like I used to get and without it coming in multiples. Is there anything for my kind of skin tone?

Almost feels like the OP should be changed to address some of the most common questions so that was Leona isn't getting asked the same thing 30 times.

Or at least put in a PayPal button or something because there's been hundreds of dollars in advice given out. *chuckles*

maxcriden

Almost feels like the OP should be changed to address some of the most common questions so that was Leona isn't getting asked the same thing 30 times.

Or at least put in a PayPal button or something because there's been hundreds of dollars in advice given out. *chuckles*

Good idea. Well, on the former front. I believe the latter would be against TOS though I would encourage anyone to feel free to buy Leona lavish (appropriate!) gifts of gratitude. :)

I'll improve the OP soon, though! Thanks! :)

Futureman

My GF's cheeks get red. I think it's cute and not an issue, but I guess she says it could get worse later in life and lead to other problems.

Anyone deal with this? She just got this stuff called Simple Sugars that is supposed to have no chemicals. She likes the way it makes her face feel but too early to see if it helps the redness.

Goldrush

About to add PC 2% BHA to my routine. Am I suppose to apply it prior to face moisturizer? I'm thinking yes, but I'm wondering if it would disturb the process somewhat similar to rinsing. Never mind. Saw you answered earlier.

Phreaker

I do mask and get a facial (extractions) once a month.

Eminence skin care has been amazing for me. I don't even care that its organic or any of that, it's just done amazing things for my skin.

Xcellere

Since you have oily skin, you can use the Kiss My Face as your moisturizer/sunscreen all in one. As far as night moisture, I've really became a fan of the Hamilton Healthcare Vitamin C serum. Even though the name says serum, it has a very light, more gel-like consistency similar to Aloe Vera gel that I like better than the VoilaVe that I used to use. But any Vitamin C serum is amazing moisture as long as you store it properly (topically applied Vitamin C is extremely unstable and oxidizes easily unless it's stored in a dry, cool place away from sunlight and the jar/bottle is kept shut tight).

The Olay is also great because, like Vitamin C, niacinamide (the active ingredient in the serum) has firming, brightening properties that are great for discolored, post-acne scarred skin. It's also pretty easy on the wallet!

Thanks again for your help Leona.

Would the Olay Serum be the only thing I use after the BHA, or is that the moisturizer at night?

I just bought everything here. Thank you.

Also, are there any anti-aging eye balms you'd recommend?
Eye creams are just about the biggest scam other than hand creams. If puffiness if your issue, then no cream, gel, or serum will help - best course of action is to make sure you get adequate sleep, abstain from unprotected alcohol and salty foods (they exacerbate water retention) and replace them with salmon and veggies, avoid harsh ingredients that irritate that sensitive area, and sleep with your head in a slightly elevated position, not flat (puffy eyes are caused by fluid retention, so sleeping with your head flat makes fluid slowly collect in the tissue around your eyes). If your issue is dark circles, then number one is limit unprotected sun exposure and number two is lighten using a topical fade cream containing either niacinamide/Vitamin C (they work beautifully together) or hydroquinone. 2% hydroquinone is actually effective, but it takes a long time to see results, and any fading is easily reversed by inconsistent sunscreen use.

The eye area is a tough nut to crack. For most people, it's lack of sleep and diet that's the root of the problem. Topical agents are mostly unreliable and/or take forever to work, so my guiding principle for eyes is to just learn to live with them unless you're willing to make some major lifestyle changes. Even 20% Vitamin C can't override poor sleep/diet habits.

My face is horrible, worse than anyone I know. Bad to the point where some days I don't want to go outside. I live in the U.S. and am willing to put in the effort to cure my endless ugly. Can someone write a starter guide for people who have no idea how to take care of their skin? Not just like, which products to use, but also how and when to use them.
First of all, no one's face is horrible! Your face is doing a laudable job of protecting your cranial organs, which is pretty amazing when you think about it considering how thin the skin's three layers really are, making it look its best is the easy part!

The most important thing is to get into a routine, and my biggest advice regarding the best routine is this: the best routine is the one you can stick with. For those who want a basic, realistic, lazy-proof daily routine, please read on:

Morning

1. Cleanse using a gentle, water-soluble cleanser like CeraVe Foaming Cleanser by splashing your face with water and gently rubbing in small circular motions for 15-20 seconds. Rinse and pat dry.

2. Apply at least SPF 15 broad-spectrum UVA/UVB sunscreen that is moisturizing, non-comedogenic and fragrance/dye-free. I like the Kiss My Face Face + Neck SPF 30 because it blends mineral and synthetic sunscreen actives. 100% mineral sunscreen (ones whose only active ingredient is Zinc oxide or Titanium dioxide and which work by sitting on top of the skin like a shield and reflecting the sun's rays off the skin) tends to create a whitish or grayish cast on darker skin tones, while 100% synthetic sunscreen (ones whose active ingredients - in America, at least - can be oxybenzone, avobenzone, octisalate, octocrylene, homosalate and octinoxate) are not practical because they require application 15 minutes prior to exposure because they work by absorbing into the skin and "eating" the UVA/UVB rays. Using a blend that combines both mineral and synthetic gives you the best of both worlds - no wait time from the mineral actives, plus the water resistance boost that the synthetics give.

Night

1. Cleanse using a gentle, water-soluble cleanser like CeraVe Foaming Cleanser by splashing your face with water and gently rubbing in small circular motions for 15-20 seconds. Rinse and pat dry.

2. Exfoliate using AHA (glycolic acid) or BHA (salicylic acid). My favorite is BHA because it has anti-irritant properties due to its relation to the aspirin family and because it clears the pore from the inside out by unclogging the build-up created by trapped sebum. AHA is better for those struggling with dull or discolored skin (i.e. old people with wrinkles and young/old people with sun damaged skin), while BHA is best for those with blackheads, large pores, and oily skin. The latter seems to be the majority of the cases in this thread, so for those particular issues, I like Paula's Choice 2% BHA Liquid or (for manlier packaging) the Paula's Choice CLEAR Extra-Strength Exfoliating Solution. The products are identical except for the packaging (the first has a twist-off cap, the second has a flip cap).

3. Apply a moisturizer in the form of a serum that contains an army of antioxidants and cell-communicating ingredients that will encourage your skin to accelerate the repair process by producing more and higher-quality collagen and elastin (the "net" that keeps your skin firm and taut) and enhance your skin's water-binding properties to avoid the dryness and dullness that you might sometimes (or often) wake up to. I like Olay's Renegerist Regenerating Serum (fragrance-free version) because, in addition to a host of antioxidants (ingredients like green tea extract that absorb the oxidizing force of the elements that gradually age skin), it contains a ton of cell-communicating ingredients (ingredients like niacinamide that bind to receptor sites on the skin and encourage the skin to produce healthier, less malformed cells as the skin undergoes cell turnover).

That's it. That's the bare minimum guide that any person can abide by, regardless of budget or will.

I have a few questions Leona.
I would only recommend extracting blackheads with a comedone extractor. Squeezing them out will only irritate the surrounding area and create (potentially painful) inflammation. Keep up the BHA, and make sure not to touch your skin during the day because any transfer of bacteria, oil, or dirt will only encourage blackhead formation.

Face or cotton pad is fine. Personally, I love Silky Cotton's brand of cotton squares - I've never used another brand of cotton pads/squares/rounds that don't flake and crumple all over my face like wet tissue paper.

The white bumps might be milia, which emerge due to sun damage. Do you wear sunscreen?

I caution anyone using BHA - you must wear sunscreen. BHA's exfoliation process encourages cellular turnover, meaning that your skin will produce new cells much more rapidly, meaning that the chances you'll eventually be exposing fresh skin to the sun are greater. You have to protect that skin every day, or else the accumulated sun damage will reverse any improvements with regard to skin tone, texture, and evenness.

Thanks! One more question.

What one or two step daily cleanser would your recommend for a 20 something male with oily skin? I use Neutrogena Oil Free Acne Stress Control Power-Cream Wash and then follow it with the 3 in 1 Hydrating Acne Treatment. It has worked pretty well for me for the past 5+ years, but lately it seems like it's not enough. (Plus, Neutrogena loves to randomly stop making the 3 in 1 Treatment every once in a while, like right now.)

I wanna try something else, if only so I have an alternative. (Though if it works better, I'll of course switch.) But I don't want to spend tons of time or money on something new. I like how easy to use the stuff I have now is, but it's not always as effective as I want it to be, and it's frustrating when I can't get the 3 in 1 Treatment. My acne is pretty mild, but when I do get blemishes they are mainly around the nose, mouth and chin, and rarely the forehead, and it's usually a just single bump. I almost never break out on my checks or temples anymore. (I did a lot when I was a teen though, and have the scars to prove it. :/)
Cleansing should only ever be one step. Cleansers that claim to fight acne are a scam because you rinse any active ingredients off before they can absorb into the skin (even benzoyl peroxide needs at least 5 minutes to be fully absorbed, and are you going to keep your cleanser on for 5 minutes?).

Use a gentle cleanser like CeraVe, Cetaphil, Eucerin, etc. etc. Follow up with salicylic acid nightly for skin tone/large pores/anti-redness, then spot treat with benzoyl peroxide (if necessary) on active acne pustules. While salicylic works against acne, it's more for blackheads and acne scarring than the big, red, nasty pimples that might accompany a breakout. Benzoyl peroxide has no benefit or effect other than drying out pimples, so it won't do anything for oiliness/discoloration/etc etc. I like Rugby's 5% benzoyl peroxide.

Leona I purchased an exfoliator following your recommendation to combat my oily skin.

Could you tell me how often to use, best time to use, how best to apply and finally how long to leave it on for?

Morning - cleanse (see application method above), then moisturize (preferably with whatever sunscreen you're using)

Night - cleanse (see application method above), exfoliate (fingers if gel/serum, cotton pad if liquid), then moisturize with a product that does not contain SPF (the sun's rays are not present at night)

what's a good body wash/shower gel/etc that won't dry out your skin?

For the body (not the face, never the face!), I actually use bar soap. Dove's Winter Care bar soap is the most incredible thing I've ever used on my body - it's moisturizing, keeps skin soft and smooth even in the driest climates, and has a neutral scent. If you prefer cream or gel, then Dove has a great line of body washes that contain at least 25% moisturizing ingredients like jojoba, shea butter, almond oil, and the like.

Another shout-out to Dove: they make the best deodorants/anti-perspirants. The Men + Care line is a revelation.

Leona:
I have very dry, sensitive, and extremely acne-prone skin. I get the massive under-grounders that last forever as well as tiny red bumps. Recently, my skin has taken to peeling and breaking out at the same time. I'm 26 and so frustrated. I used proactiv for years and switched to Mary Kay Botanicals (super gentle) but I am just breaking out worse and my skin never feels clean. Stopped Proactiv in March, by the way. I wear CC cream with SPF rather foundation to help ease irritation but if I don't wear something my skin breaks out even worse. Any advice?
Are you on birth control? Or recently went on it or off it? Because that can produce massive hormonal changes that affect acne.

You already tried ProActiv, so maybe benzoyl peroxide isn't the best solution for you. Have you tried Tea Tree Oil? Studies have shown its anti-bacterial properties to be just as strong as benzoyl peroxide but with less irritation.

I typically recommend BP because the formulations are more reliable (Tea Tree Oil isn't regulated by the FDA, so you never know what you're getting), but Tea Tree Oil brands like Desert Essence are almost miraculous (and I rarely use that word with regard to skin care) when it comes to killing the bacteria that feed on sebum and inflame the skin, creating the acne pustules that emerge through the hair follicle up to the skin's surface.

I don't know as much about skin care as Leona, but I just wanted to jump in on this one. Pretty sure I've seen you in girlgaf so I just wanted to say I had this problem too, acne on back since I was a teen, sometimes it was better and sometimes worse, but it was never actually clear. I've tried so many topicals and this last summer it got particularly bad so I got it in my head I wanted accutane and went to a derm at the end of the summer. As soon as he heard it had been going on for so long (I'm in mid-20s now) he immediately said it was probably hormonal and absolutely refused accutane. I argued with him for like 20 minutes, said I'm already on BC, etc etc but in the end, he convinced me to try spiranolactone for 3 months and then get another evaluation. I've been on it for 1.5 months and everything's gone (was like 95% better after just a month). So I just wanted to say it might be worth seeing a doc! Good luck.
Spiranolactone is an antibacterial/antimicrobal that I typically shy away from recommending because so many people (almost half the people who go on it, an even greater percentage than tretinoin) can't handle its side effects.

I'd definitely need to see her in person or a face pic before going down the prescription route.

Lol I know this post is a bit older, but made me laugh. I also use Dove bars to wash my face ;x

My skin isn't great, pretty pale and sensitive so perhaps I should check out one of those face washes you mentioned. I don't really have acne anymore (25), but I do get ingrown hairs a lot. Not sure if there is a good way to stop those. And razor burn on my neck when I shave.
Ingrown hairs are usually caused by inflammation post-shaving by using products like aftershave or toners that contain alcohol. Sometimes (and unfortunately) they're the way your beard naturally grows. Razor burn is a type of self-inflicted inflammation.

For shaving, I recommend Nivea For Men Sensitive Shaving Gel. It's alcohol/menthol free, and gives you a nice blend of anti-irritant ingredients while you're at it. Skip aftershave (most contain ingredients that only irritate the skin) and use an exfoliant to clear the pore, ensuring that the follicle emerge without any blockages.

Ever since I started using BHA, I haven't had a single razor bump, burn, nothing.

I have Psoriasis on my face and scalp. When it flares it gets really bad and next few days super flaky and itchy :( . I've stopped using soap on my face and scalp for months now and it has definitely improved. I use Cerave moisturizer daily which helps a lot. I used to use Cetaphil but it was too greasy and didn't help much. Anything else you recommend using? I don't scrub my face because it just makes it worse. i scrub with water only when I have to get rid of the dry skin thats flaking.
CeraVe's Foaming Cleanser is great because it contains hyaluronic acid and ceramics, which are ingredients that help retain moisture in the face through their water-binding properties. They do what they need to do within the 15-20 seconds you have the cleanser on your face.

Leona or anyone else that can help, I keep getting these white heads on my nose and surrounding areas. It doesn't matter what I do (wash, toner, sulfur masque, squeeze them out) they come back within the next day or two. I have very oily skin.

The following is my skin care regimen:

1. REN Rosa Centifolia™ Foaming Cleanser
2. Proactive revitalizing toner
3. Neutrogena Visibly Even Daily Moisturizer, SPF 30

Do you know of anything that can stop these from forming? Do you think that it is something in my regimen that are causing them?

Thank you.
Whiteheads (aka milia) are different from blackheads in that they aren't formed by oil-clogged pores, but rather by sun damage or poor cleansing. I'm puzzled by what you mean by squeezing them out, since the contents of whiteheads can't be squeezed out.

They might not be whiteheads, but instead papules, which are mild acne lesions that have white tips. BHA! BHA! BHA!

Is there an alternative to Paula's Choice 2% BHA Liquid that can be bought in Canada? I looked on Amazon.ca, but it's double (or more) the price compared to Amazon. com. I can't seem to find it anywhere else. I found the CeraVe moisturizing lotion and cleanser on well.ca though, and I saw some products that contain salicylic acid but I'm not entirely sure which ones are good.
I can't think of any other BHA liquid worth purchasing, but Clean & Clear and Neutrogena have great dye-free BHA gels (they'd call it salicylic acid) that you can buy anywhere. Unfortunately, though, they both contain fragrance, but that's not the worst thing ever.

Okay so replace the cleanser with a less drying one, cut the mask and the exfoliant, get a salicylic cream and some sort of BHA product. I guess my only question is: If I don't use an exfoliant scrub, how to I get rid of excess skin? I get a lot of it and simply washing doest do much.

Thank you so much.
Salicylic acid IS BHA. Sorry for any confusion!

Consistently using BHA will encourage cellular turnover, so you shouldn't have to manually exfoliate with a scrub or washcloth anymore. If you still experience excess flaking, then gently scrub with a washcloth, but avoid any gels/cleansers containing microbeads (St. Ives, oh the humanity!)

So I've had acne for a long ass time (since I was 14, now 21), it was under control when I was 18-21, but then it came back pretty bad in recent months. I have very oily skin and even took accutane when I was 18 or so, that knocked out my oil and acne for a few months, but my oil glands kicked into overdrive again a few months later lol. So I've been following this routine for the last week or two but I have no idea if it's even good or not:

Morning: Wash face with water, apply neutrogena spf 30 sunblock + moisturizer (in one).
Midday/Afternoon: I come back from class/the gym with my face all sweaty, so I wash my face with water again, also gets off the sunblock.
Night: Shower + neutrogena cleanser. Apply Aczone after.

Anyhow, anything I should switch up or change? Does this look aight for you skin experts out there?
Washing with water is the most ineffectual thing you can do because water alone doesn't slough off the layers of grime, dirt, oil, and dead skin that build up at night and during the day. So your morning routine needs a rethink.

You also need a night moisturizer.

Dear Ms. Leona Lewis

I'm starting small spots of red skin that resemble psoriasis, i haven't seen a doctor about it since i only have two small spots only about 1cm in diameter, one in my neck, one in my right arm.

I think i'm starting a mild psoriasis, mostly due to stress.

Anything i can use to help my skin to regenerate itself?

Thanks in advance Ms. Leona Lewis i really admire your work
You can help encourage the skin's cellular turnover by applying BHA to the affected areas. I would also say, by the way, that you need to protect those areas even more diligently with daily sunscreen application (at least SPF 15, rain or shine).

Otherwise, the BHA will be counteracted by sun damage, and as a matter of fact, using BHA without sunscreen is worse for you than just not using anything at all. The fresh skin the BHA reveals is vulnerable.

Hello Ms. Lewis! I have recently started to get a lot of teenage (17) acne on one cheek and a couple of ugly cysts on my chin. I don't know anything about skin care so what should I do to my face to make it go away? If you could recommend budget products too that would be appreciated! Thank you!

Edit: my forehead, nose and chin are oily. Everything else isn't
So you have combination skin (oily skin concentrated on your T-zone). Do your cheeks get dry patches, by the way?

The best thing to do is cleanse every morning and night with a gentle cleanser to remove the surface bacteria that feed on sebum (the secreted oil from your pores) and inflame active acne. Then, spot treat morning and night with benzoyl peroxide or tea tree oil. Next, apply BHA (at night only) to clear pore blockages and encourage the healthy secretion of sebum.

I hit puberty much later (didn't have any form of facial hair until I was 19) and this of course meant I got acne much later in life; 18+

I used to have some bad acne and it did not matter which type of product I used it would not go away. Over the years I started to better understand my skin, it's very very sensitive and gets oily. What I then went onwards to (22+) was picking up the right kind of cleansers/washes/moisturizers which was primarily to be non-comedogenic and oil free. This worked decently until I decided to try the most lightweight exfoiliator I could find, and I ended up getting one of the worst cysts on my right cheekbone I've ever had, it actually had to be cut out.

Since then, I said fuck all this shit simply wash my face with luke warm water in the morning, use an oil free non=comedogenic moisturizer and make sure my sheets are clean, my complexion has never been better. This could be in coincidence with me finally going through that acne stage.

I still get tiny pimples here and there, but nothing drastic like I used to get and without it coming in multiples. Is there anything for my kind of skin tone?
Whenever acne suddenly goes away, I attribute it to positive changes in your hormonal balance.

The age matches up, anyway.

Haha, appreciate the sentiment! (I could always use some money, anyway...Freedom Wars on Vita coming out next week and all.)

I do wish I could write a comprehensive how-to guide, but there are so many different topics to cover that even three OP's wouldn't be able to fit them all.

I'd rather answer questions as they come~

Hi Leona:

Is this stuff any good? I bought everything else you recommended (CeraVe cleanser, Paula's Choice, and Olay Regenerist serum) however I have a full bottle of this at home already.

L'Oreal Paris Men's Expert Comfort Max SPF 15 Anti-Irritation After Shave Balm, 3.3 Fluid Ounce https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C93O4N0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Thanks!
You don't need an aftershave if you use BHA in the morning (I only use it at night, but that's when I shave).

And that is a very flimsy SPF 15 - those synthetic actives are in pitifully low amounts. If your entire daily sun exposure is literally in the car on the way to and back from work, it's fine, but any more than that and you want an SPF 30 or at least an SPF 15 that has some mineral actives.

My GF's cheeks get red. I think it's cute and not an issue, but I guess she says it could get worse later in life and lead to other problems.

Anyone deal with this? She just got this stuff called Simple Sugars that is supposed to have no chemicals. She likes the way it makes her face feel but too early to see if it helps the redness.
Maybe it's rosacea?

Or maybe she's just pale?

About to add PC 2% BHA to my routine. Am I suppose to apply it prior to face moisturizer? I'm thinking yes, but I'm wondering if it would disturb the process somewhat similar to rinsing. Never mind. Saw you answered earlier.
Yes, after you cleanse and before you moisturize.

as a woman i dont even use most of this crap lol. moisturizer only for me
Hope you're at least using sunscreen~

Hi Leona. I'll toss you a question since I just checked out this topic and that seems to be the thing to do. I have no idea if you have any experience with treating folliculitis but I've had that for years and years now. Oral antibacterial medicines seem to help lessen it but don't seem to cure it at all. Once I get off the medicine, it comes back. I've tried different facial washes, benzoyl peroxide, tea tree oil, extra virgin coconut oil and it never really helps at all. Just limits it at best. It might sound strange but I think the coconut oil helps more than anything but maybe it's all in my mind or just lucky that it clears up somewhat after using that. But this stuff seems to be localized in certain spots on my face, then it's mostly localized to the back of my scalp, then it's just in sort of random spots throughout my body. So I'm not really sure what to do to treat it when it is so spread out. I'm at a point where I'm about to go to a doctor and tell him to finally send me to a specialist and have them do some kind of biopsy to pinpoint what it is and what medicine might work best. I've never tried a prescription topical medicine so maybe that would do something. I mean, there must be some sort of way to knock it out if it's bacterial folliculitis which I've been told it is. But I was just curious if you have any experience with that and what works well or if you know of anything that might help with it. Thanks.

Mega post.
Wow, thanks again. I think I'm gonna try the CeraVe Foaming Facial Cleanser.

Two more questions. Is there another brand of BHA you would recommend besides Paula's Choice? I don't think that's available in Canada locally, and the prices online are crazy. (I don't know if the Rugby BP is available either, but I imagine any 5% BP will do.)

And what body wash would you recommend for light acne on the shoulders and back? I'm using the Dove + Men Clean Defense currently. I haven't been using it for that long, but I haven't seen any results yet. (Plus is really dries out my hands when using it.)

I promise these are the last questions. You're so generous to be helping so many people out like this.

Go_Ly_Dow

Morning - cleanse (see application method above), then moisturize (preferably with whatever sunscreen you're using)

Night - cleanse (see application method above), exfoliate (fingers if gel/serum, cotton pad if liquid), then moisturize with a product that does not contain SPF (the sun's rays are not present at night)

So you mean exfoliate every night? I trust you more than my random friends but they tell me only 1-2 times a week! :)

This is my current face wash - http://www.boots.com/en/Simple-Kind-To-Skin-Refreshing-Facial-Wash-Gel-150ml_699/

Simple Goodness:

1 Vital Vitamins

&#8226; Pro- Vitamin B5 actively restores, softens and smooth

No Perfume, No Colour

&#8226; No Unnecessary or Harsh Chemicals so it won&#8217;t upset your skin

Dermatologically Tested and Approved

Simple - We believe in goodness.

How to Use

For best results: In your hands, work a small amount into a lather. Massage onto wet skin, rinse with water. If wash gets into your eyes rinse thoroughly with water.

Ingredients

Aqua, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Propylene Glycol, Hydroxypropyl, Methylcellulose, Sodium Chloride, Panthenol, Disodium EDTA, Sodium Hydroxymethylglycinate, Sodium Hydroxide, Pantolactone, Citric Acid. Simple Skincare contains no animal derived ingredients.

Is it worth swapping this for one of the cleansers you recommended if spots are not really an issue with my skin, rather oily skin, some redness and light scarring?

Finally which salicylic do you recommend?

D

Deleted member 286591

Unconfirmed Member
Welp. French GAFer here.

I always tried to take care of my skin, and realize thanks to Leona I might have had bad habits, but all those awesome products and brands you guys talk about in here (cerave etc) aren't available to buy here. Only the super basic commercial Nivea shit most of the time.

Also : I have a Seborrhoeic Dermatitis (mainly on the nose's wings and eyebrows) so, in short, what do you recommend as a cleanser and moisturizer ? I tend to have a fairly dry / mixed skin. And then each time I try to buy good products, and read labels, I feel like reading ***CANCER CANCER CANCER*** everywhere with all those barbaric names. I would just really like to avoid as much alcohol / dye ridden products in my routine as possible (or entirely if any possible), but there always seems to be alcohol this or fragrance that on all labels.

EDIT : I use this day cream, am I doing OK or ?

ddoc-31667-bacfe8ae88d91994018ade140b3b340c-9702867_nuxe_reve_de_miel_creme_visage_ultra_reconfotante_jour_pot_50_ml.jpg

https://us.nuxe.com/reve-de-miel-no...enishes-lipids-soothes-and-repairs-jar-1.5-oz

Hip Hop

I've never wore sunscreen before and realized I need to take care of my skin more.

I usually go out for walks in the morning or afternoon and the sun is pretty heavy still. Anyone got a recommendation on some creams to use?

Where would you apply it, anywhere the skin is exposed or is clothing not enough for some areas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom