• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dustforce DX (free update) released | Adds new levels, revamped difficulty curve

LaneDS

http://hitboxteam.com/dustforce-dx-update-released

A free update to Dustforce has been released, which adds in 109 of the best community made levels along with 19 levels created by Hitbox Team, along with a newly laid out level hub that is designed to ease players into the (admittedly) hard as nails rest of the game. Some interesting (and telling) statistics found in the link above about how steep the drop off was for players clearing levels, so that's a pretty significant change.

If nothing else, the game has one of the best soundtracks released in recent years, so at least check that out here:

http://lifeformed.bandcamp.com/album/fastfall

Oooh I'll have to check this out. I really liked this game. SSed all the main levels but NOPE'ed out at the prefix mega/giga/etc levels. All that community content could be nice.

LaneDS

You're not kidding, this soundtrack is awesome so far. Bought!

Awesome, it's been a mainstay of my collection since I first heard it and am glad you dig it. Composer also did the music for the Broken Age documentary which is also quite good.

Oooh I'll have to check this out. I really liked this game. SSed all the main levels but NOPE'ed out at the prefix mega/giga/etc levels. All that community content could be nice.

Oof, that's really impressive. So while I love this game, I'm pretty terrible at it. Despite how hard it is though, I can get a lot of enjoyment out of the easier levels which is why I felt this update was threadworthy.

This game is so underrated. Can't wait to play this over the weekend.

I think this thread (and the buried in community OT) are an excellent example of how under the radar this game is. That's the other reason why I felt this update was threadworthy.

Doopliss

Well this is a nice surprise! It's truly admirable that Hitbox continue to support this game this long after release.

Grouping the levels by difficulty sound like a good change. Steam says I've put 12 hours into the game but I doubt I've seen half the levels - I really enjoy it but I get demoralised when I can no longer get S-ranks. Even if the restructure doesn't help me get past that it should still make it easier to find all the levels I can do.

Skyzard

Banned
Wish this game was smoother on Vita, looks fun but I never feel like playing my steam copy.

I love when games do this though, decent.

thefil

Their graph suggests a pretty consistent geometric falloff over the course of the whole game, not a discontinuity at [a] certain point where people drop off. To me that suggests that what they need to do is reduce the decay rate. This could be done by keeping the same difficulty curve, but shoving more levels into it across the spectrum. Or by suggesting alternate levels when a player fails. Or all sorts of things.

I mean, what they've done is great, I just think that their interpretation of their data is a little off (or more likely, they have more data they aren't talking about). It doesn't look like a significant number of people hit the four level mark and got shoved out by that.

*edit* Basically I think you just have to expect a geometric falloff in your game. Linear falloff in players would be the real surprise.

LaneDS

Wish this game was smoother on Vita, looks fun but I never feel like playing my steam copy.

I love when games do this though, decent.

The Vita port was super disappointing to me too. Can't play a game like this with framerate issues. Great on PC though! Wonder if they've got plans for a PS4 release?

Their graph suggests a pretty consistent geometric falloff over the course of the whole game, not a discontinuity at [a] certain point where people drop off. To me that suggests that what they need to do is reduce the decay rate. This could be done by keeping the same difficulty curve, but shoving more levels into it across the spectrum. Or by suggesting alternate levels when a player fails. Or all sorts of things.

I mean, what they've done is great, I just think that their interpretation of their data is a little off (or more likely, they have more data they aren't talking about). It doesn't look like a significant number of people hit the four level mark and got shoved out by that.

*edit* Basically I think you just have to expect a geometric falloff in your game. Linear falloff in players would be the real surprise.

I'm guessing that graph doesn't illustrate a drop off at a specific point mostly due to how open the game was previously. I bet if we could see the order in which players tried different levels we'd see wildly different results because even between those four "worlds" there were a lot of different ways you could go (and then the level you ended up in could be easy or super difficult).

Almost sounds like your suggestion of inserting more levels into the game but keeping the same difficulty curve is what they actually did (I played the update for all of a minute this morning just to confirm it actually was live before posting). Or maybe I'm misunderstanding your intent. Either way, interesting points and discussion, and I'm looking forward to messing around with the revamp this weekend (sorry Dustforce, Bayonetta 2 is waiting for me at home).

Zomba13

Bought this game ages ago and loved the style, soundtrack and concept but at the time I didn't have a good controller to use with it (360 pad and it's bad dpad didn't equal fun). I should go back to it at some point with the DS4.

Top Bottom