• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Sailor's Dream |OT| It's comforting to see the lighthouse in the distance.

cmdmiqc.png

Trailer

General Information
Developer: Simogo
Genre: Adventure
Platform: iOS (Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.)
Release date: November 6th 2014
Price: $3.99 US, $4.99 NZ

Purchase

About

A peaceful narrative experience, in which the only objective is to satisfy your curiosity. Explore an ocean dream world, in which time passes even when you are not there, visit forgotten islands and piece together memories – some even existing beyond the screen of your device.

Soundtrack
Loudr - $7
Amazon - $7
Google Play - $8

Reviews
Touch Arcade - 4/5
Pocket Gamer - 7/10
Digital Spy - 3/5
Gamezebo - 5/5
God Is A Geek - 6.0/10
Apple N Apps - 4.5/5
Slant Magazine - No scale but they like it.
Multiplayer.it - 6.7/10
148Apps - 3.5/5
Kill Screen - 77

Articles
Simogo's Simon Flesser talking about the game.
"...takes you on an oneiric sea voyage."
"...is the best way to chill out on an iPad."
"...reimagines the novella for the smartphone era."

MN2Elgz.jpg

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I can confirm that the EU app store has the game live too. Really looking forward to this. Simogo's games have impressed me.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
The blindest I'm going into one of their games. Will only be able to dive in later tomorrow unfortunately.

Two months ago, I hadn't played any of Simogo's games. Now that I've played Device 6, Year Walk, and Beat Sneak, I'll buy any of their games day one, totally blind. Can't wait for this

And unless I'm mistaken, I thought the price was $3.99

Dalek

I can't wait! Simogo is the only developer on any platform that I will buy games for, day one sight unseen.

I have to figure out who this women singer is. The song is beautiful and has an Celtic tone to it.

Edit: ok just realized she is in the OP.

40 minutes in. Hmm, Sailor's Dream isn't a game. It's not a text adventure. It's something...new, different. It's a narrative told in a way that could never be accomplished by a book, a story delivered piece-meal, in tantalizing parts. An experience that blends audio and visuals and the tactile nature of touch screen to establish a mood, create an atmosphere.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Yep, this is really interesting so far... though I'm starting to get a foreboding feeling. It really sets up the mood well. The music alone makes it worth it.

Was in the thread about SE's future development plans and kept seeing "new experiences on mobile" bleated over and over again in reference to recycling their old IPs and remembered that this was coming out today!

Praise [your deity here] for developers that actually strive to create unique, engaging experiences regardless of platform. Loved Year Walk and Device 6. Downloading this now for my iPad. This will consume my commute to/from work.
I have a feeling I'm going to need an
AirPrint printer
to finish this, haha.

I was really wondering about that as well. Has anybody used that function. Does it simply print out the text?

It's official

I-Have-No-Idea-What-Im-Doing-1.jpg

Sign me up as well haha

Though there are bits where you're just pushing and.. tugging.. at things when something moves in an unexpected way that leads to further discovery, etc... I fucking love stuff like this. Simogo games are great in this way.

Ok so I think I just found the final ending to the game and went to a guide to see if it was and...yeah that's it. Somewhat disappointing. Even worse though is apparently I have been fiddling with the constellation things for nothing because they apparently do nothing and don't unlock anything. What?

Ok so I think I just found the final ending to the game and went to a guide to see if it was and...yeah that's it. Somewhat disappointing. Even worse though is apparently I have been fiddling with the constellation things for nothing because they apparently do nothing and don't unlock anything. What?

Really? Did you
fiddle with your iPhone/iPad's clock as well? There are things that are keyed to date & time.

I took one for the team, and tried printing out the first one in the Secret Lighthouse. Guess what?

http://i.imgur.com/SU71okH.jpg

Awww yisss. Going to try and set up my office's printer with this now.

Though, is there a good free paperless alternative? AirPrint -> PDF, either locally on my iPad or "print" to a connected computer as opposed to a printer. A quick search didn't bring up much for me that was useable.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I just
got the "first ending"
. I'll stop for now and do everything else some other time.

I'm feeling divided on this one... It's visually great and the music is outstanding, as expected. The story is cool to piece together and it's pleasantly melancholic. It's not gripping me like Year Walk or Device 6 did, but it's nice.

However, I think that not having puzzles hurts more than helps. Little "Aha!" moments may not seem like a big deal when they're present, but they make a world of difference when they're absent in a game like this. I don't mean having multi-item complex conundrums, but small stuff like getting a key and inserting it somewhere else. Twisting a cube in the right way to open it so you get said key. Etc. Imo, even the lightest "puzzle" can help in heightening the interactions you can have with the world and making things feel like they matter. As it stands, all the objects you can touch and fiddle with in the islands feel hollow and make you feel like moving on too quickly.

I'll spoiler the next paragraphs because there are gameplay spoilers. No story spoilers though:

I'll be honest, I never like it when any game uses real time in order for me to to access content. And The Sailor's Dream goes the extra mile by using both seven days of the week + hours of the day. Waiting for it and having to keep tabs on 7 days and 12 hours isn't ideal because it feels very artificial to me, and messing with the device's internal clock is well... "cheating" and immersion breaking, which is not satisfactory either.

Also, the printer thing is clever, but honestly annoying. Even if I had an AirPrint-compatible printer readily available I'd still not want to waste paper and paint on this and would end up looking at the results online. So, what sounds initially like a cute feature ultimately soils part of the experience by being a hassle.

I can see where they were going with all this but, for now, it's not a direction I appreciate. It's still an audiovisual treat, but I can't help but feel like it's getting bogged down by some design decisions which aren't allowing me to just get properly involved in an otherwise neatly crafted product.

Anyway, I'll post again after I experience all the content and collect my thoughts.

axisofweevils

So,
I got the seven songs, and the 12 hourly messages, and I made the credits roll.
Is that the end, or is there more to it?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Really impressive and I've been getting goosebumps way too many times going through this.

I think the puzzle here is piecing out the story together, but I would say the game seems to have some actual puzzles that may not be required for solving the game, but are still there.

Transmission Horologe seems to be the place you're supposed to visit on a full hour and something will happen? I got this from a text elsewhere in the game. Guess I'll find out in a few minutes.

What about all the sound making boxes, and other objects you can move around, or otherwise interact with? I doubt they are just there to be an eye (ear) candy.

putermcgee

I just finished it
or at least the first ending... and yeah, I ended up changing my phone's clock. I got Thursday-Saturday's music and maybe six of the transmissions legitimately, but I felt I'd get tired of waiting each day, and just barely missing transmissions all the time.

I think this is a fantastic app to own and "play" but I'd definitely recommend Year Walk and Device 6 over it. Visually and aurally, it's a treat through and through. I was left satisfied with the story, and wouldn't pass it up had I known what was going to happen.

I agree with other people about how the real-time gating feels artificial, and how the use of AirPrinting is a letdown. I mean, I can't remember the last time I've had a printer available to me, let alone one capable of AirPrint. Unless there's a way to AirPrint to PDF on my computer, I'll be stuck looking for printouts online.

Also, if there's anything you can do with the little doodads in each area, I'm afraid they were too obtuse. Then again, if there's nothing you can do with them, that's honestly disappointing. I can imagine people familiar with Simogo games spending way too much time messing with that stuff, taking notes on everything, and then having a strong negative reaction when they find out there was no secret.

I just finished it
or at least the first ending... and yeah, I ended up changing my phone's clock. I got Thursday-Saturday's music and maybe six of the transmissions legitimately, but I felt I'd get tired of waiting each day, and just barely missing transmissions all the time.

I think this is a fantastic app to own and "play" but I'd definitely recommend Year Walk and Device 6 over it. Visually and aurally, it's a treat through and through. I was left satisfied with the story, and wouldn't pass it up had I known what was going to happen.

I agree with other people about how the real-time gating feels artificial, and how the use of AirPrinting is a letdown. I mean, I can't remember the last time I've had a printer available to me, let alone one capable of AirPrint. Unless there's a way to AirPrint to PDF on my computer, I'll be stuck looking for printouts online.

Also, if there's anything you can do with the little doodads in each area, I'm afraid they were too obtuse. Then again, if there's nothing you can do with them, that's honestly disappointing. I can imagine people familiar with Simogo games spending way too much time messing with that stuff, taking notes on everything, and then having a strong negative reaction when they find out there was no secret.

EDIT: If you don't have an AirPrint printer, or don't want to go through the trouble setting up a virtual one,
here are the files you can print. There are eleven drawings, but it's possible I missed one. If so, please let me know!

We'd really appreciate if you'd not spread those.

putermcgee

Thanks a lot, appreciate it! :)

oh - I only meant the link!
Well, it was actually the quickest way to do it for me since I'm not at my computer. Somehow easier than editing the post at first!

Loved the story by the way. I hear it's the last of a story-driven trilogy, which is unfortunate, but I'll buy whatever's next anyway.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Sure. I removed them.
There's 12 at least btw, that's how many I've found.

For people who don't have a printer, go and download Printopia for Mac, and it will let you print into PDF, with your Mac being the printer. I found the software to be glitchy though, and had to switch it off/on for just about every new print I wanted to make.

Corgi

Banned
this is a terrible game to play in chunks out and about.

only pieces of story i got was something about girl sailor and fire :(

might need to give this a shot again.

putermcgee

There's 12 at least btw, that's how many I've found.
Each area had three except the Celestial Sanctuary. Is that where I'm probably missing one?

Much like how doing your taxes at the same time isn't the best way to enjoy a movie. Or how looking down at your phone, texting your friends isn't the best way to enjoy a concert.

Dalek

I've finished it-and it has amazing music, and presentation.

However, I'd be lying if I said I was thrilled with the "game". I'd say it's more akin to something like Gone Home than Device 6. I wish there were more to "solve".

It certainly gives that impression with the various locations, and clickable, interactive pieces. but that being said, I do love it. I certainly appreciate this on the App Store a hell of a lot more than 99.9% of the rest of the stuff that's loaded on there week after week.

might need to give this a shot again.

I think I'm going to do the same. I played the first part in one sitting and having been slowly working on getting the messages and songs, but I'm already starting to forget parts of the story. So, I'm going to start over and just mess with the time and date on my phone to experience everything at once. I was really wanting to do everything properly but my memory disagrees with doing it that way, apparently.

Anyway, from what I have experienced, I'd say this is my favorite of their three adventure games. It's a very sentimental story that I've been able to connect to much more than Device 6 or Year Walk.

However, I'd be lying if I said I was thrilled with the "game". I'd say it's more akin to something like Gone Home than Device 6. I wish there were more to "solve".

Yeah, it's a similar adventure game to something like Dear Esther or Gone Home. Which I like, because I've grown to love those adventure games with a focus on narrative and setting while more traditional adventure game elements are removed. Puzzles can be fun but I feel like as I get older I'm losing patience for them.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I have to say I don't get the point of all the interactive boxes, planets, moon etc. Is there any point in moving them other than changing the melody they're playing? They don't even seem to tie into the story symbolism in any way I can immediately notice. They definitely add to the ethereal atmosphere but I'm just wondering if there's something more to them.

Each area had three except the Celestial Sanctuary. Is that where I'm probably missing one?
I think you're missing the one in the
lighthouse. There's four there.

Corgi

Banned
wait the printer stuff actually gives you something extra? The fuck?

now thats horseshit.

btw is there a way to restart the game besides delete and reinstall?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
wait the printer stuff actually gives you something extra? The fuck?

now thats horseshit.
Nothing required to finish the game, just a little extra atmosphere. If you have Mac, download Printopia and you can print into PDF using that.

Top Bottom