• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: amiibo are not region-locked.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Excellent, so if there are regions that decide to not give the tip of Ike's sword its own little shitty plastic piece connecting it to the base, I can import.

J@hranimo

Banned
I wonder if this can suggest we'll get region-exclusive Amiibos?

Or at least some Amiibos releasing in some regions before others.

Thank God, I was afraid that using s Japanese Amiibo on my NA WiiU would make the WiiU disappear
i wouldn't put it past Nintendo that they thought about it

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Of course, this now means that if any international people want to get in on that NA Loot Crate amiibo deal, they can do so without worrying if the figures will work.

It stops people from buying a bunch, scanning them in games like MK8 which you need to do only once and returning them.

This. As soon you can use them permanently unlock stuff by only scanning once it's smart to block it off as people could just buy the figures scan and return easily.

Piscus

I get why they'd prevent scanning through the box, and I get people who judge OCD collectors like myself that want to keep their figures in the box.

Still... =(

Ban Puncher

Now I'm kind of disappointed that they weren't locked because it would of been really funny that a plastic toy had region restrictions.

Somnid

I'd like to point out while the OS can take it it doesn't mean a region-specific Amiibo would be usable with software from another region. So, if there's ever a Diskun Amiibo in Japan US software may not support it even if it is possible to scan it.

Not really that surprising TBH.

Ninty's not really into the whole hardware region locking thing as far as I can tell. Both my Wii U Pro Controller and CPP XL are from Japan but work just fine with my American shit, for example.

Wouldn't you pay quite a bit more to ship that?
Exchange rate is pretty good right now plus tax differences and cheaper shipping options through forwarding services... It's hard to say as it's all theoretical at this point but I suspect it'll be more even than you'd think.

Top Bottom