• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop presents: The 2014 Hip-Hop Awards | Voting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CRS

C2TVwXJ.png

Here you will get the chance to vote for your most standout albums/mixtapes, tracks, artist, producer, and more.

We will be using a Google form to vote that way people can vote anonymously if they'd like. (I will require your username in the form to prevent multiple votes)

Voting ballots will be counted and only counted if it's submitted using the Google form. You can still post your votes in the thread for discussion purposes but they will not be considered as your vote. This is to streamline the vote tallying and prevent any duplicate votes.

The link will be posted in the second post of this thread. Quote the second post to see the link for the form.

Guidelines

• Voting ends January 16th, 2015, 11:59 PM PST

• You can vote up to 10 albums and up to 10 songs while the rest of the categories (Individual Categories) only get one vote.

• A minimum of 10 albums and songs are required. No exceptions. If you have 9 albums and/or songs in your ballot, it will not count.

• Check your list twice and make sure you haven't repeated any albums/songs. Try to use the album's/song's exact title. Acronyms are not recommended and may disqualify your vote if it is too obscure. Remember, clarity is key here and will make everyone's life a lot easier.

• SAVE YOUR FORM's EDIT LINK if you wish to edit your vote at a later time. The link will be given to you when you submit your vote.

• Be reasonable with what you consider to be hip-hop. While it isn't cut and dry on what is and isn't hip-hop, the majority of the album has to be considered hip-hop, not just a few hip-hop elements thrown in there. R&B has blurred the line a bit but I bring it upon your good judgement to understand the difference. If you're not sure, just ask in this thread and someone will most definitely help you out.

• What am I allowed to use for my albums? The only strict rule is it has to have an official release date in the year 2014. No exceptions. Both studio albums and mixtapes are allowed. Albums that were leaked in 2014 but have a release date in 2015 are NOT allowed.

• Forgot what was released in 2014? Check out GAF-Hop's OT with tons of discussion about old and new releases, plenty of new material posted everyday, and every once in while some off-topic banter about analingus and one's culinary expertise (not in that order). Also you can check out HiResDes' 2014 Quarterly Round-Ups for a lot of recommendations/reminders.

hSsYt.png

Point Distribution - You don't have to use the following text format but it will make your vote a lot easier to handle in the Google form. This applies to both album of the year and song of the year. And remember, your vote will only count through the Google form submission.

1. Album A ; 4 points
  2. Album B ; 3 points
  3. Album C ; 3 points
  4. Album D ; 2 points
  5. Album E ; 2 points
  6. Album F ; 2 points
  7. Album G ; 1 point
  8. Album H ; 1 point
  9. Album I ; 1 point
  10. Album J ; 1 point

Individual Categories - You don't have to vote for every category.
  • Artist/Group of the Year
  • Producer of the Year
  • Rookie of the Year
  • Feature Killer of the Year
  • "L" of the Year
  • Biggest Disappointment

Thank you and have fun!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Alright here we go. I'll get the smaller stuff out of the way first:

Artist/Group of the Year: Young Thug
- Dude has owned this year in pretty much every respect. Mindshare, success, sheer amount of great songs in this dismal year, etc. THUGGER THUGGER

Producer of the Year: Metro Boomin'
- After looking over the breadth of the work he's done, and the diversity of production he's capable, I think Metro Boomin has earned this, however Mike WiLL Made It and DJ Mustard are up there when it comes to output as well, I just found a bit more variety and :wow: level beats with Metro Boomin',

Rookie of the Year: Young Thug
- For similar reasons as above.

Feature Killer of the Year: Young Thug
- We haven't had any super feature killers this year, TBH. A lot of sole high notes (Game on Chiraq to LA, Jay on The Devil is a Lie, etc.), but when I think back, Thug has murdered many of the joints -high profile ones at that- that he's jumped on. This includes multiple songs on Days Before Rodeo, About The Money, Throw Some Mo, Get TF Out My Face, Hookah, Right Back, and the list goes on. Common is the closest thing to a second, having a lot of fantastic pop appearances as well.

"L" of the Year: Azealea Banks
- She's an idiot, focused her career around disparaging a competitor who blew up to levels of success she won't reach, so she decided to become an even bigger idiot and go on the radio and twitter and tell people how much of an idiot she is. It's like bizarro-world Gucci Mane.

Biggest Disappointment: Oxymoron
- One of the most hyped releases of 2014 that just didn't reach it's mark. Confounded with general TDE incompetency, we were left with something less magical than what we expected, even if the album itself was still pretty straight.

~~~***TOP 10 SONGS OF 2014***~~~
1. The Blanguage - Metro Thuggin (Young Thug & Metro Boomin')
2. Soul Food - Big K.R.I.T. ft. Raphael Saadiq
3. My Nigga - YG ft. Young Jeezy & Rich Homie QUan
4. Def Jam - Trinidad Jame$
5. Old English - Young Thug, Freddie Gibbs & A$AP Ferg
6. About The Money - T.I. ft. Young Thug
7. 0 To 100 / The Catch Up - Drake
8. Tangerine Girl - Asher Roth
9. Dipshits - Cam'Ron & A-Trak ft. Juelz Santana & Dame Dash
10. Muscle - Low Pros ft. Juvenile

~~~***TOP 10 RELEASES OF 2014***~~~
In descending order.

Honourable Mentions: Cadillactica (Big K.R.I.T.), Hood Billionaire (Rick Ross), If There's A Hell Below (Black Milk), PRhyme (PRhyme) & Banco (Sir Michael Rocks).

#10 - Logic - Under Pressure
3qSpqyYqseVM3S58rhzvh-S_YgiBEANBse8nhkLJAyAT-dDnAGzHPfgtFuuY7a6-18-bYWwaHA=w300

Listen: Bounce, Gang Related

Logic put out a straight shooter of an album, that, on paper is easily one of the most impressive records of the year. Conceptually solid, lyrically solid, melodically solid, sonically solid, just consistently solid. As my first Logic album, this caught me completely by surprise as it did not adhere to any of the things you would associate with Logic's conscious, boom-bap rapper persona. There is no bitterness or focused subliminals at party music, beats that sound like they were also shopped to Styles P, general come-up bars on every record, any of that. The record masterfully manages to mix trap stylings with boom-bap like no other record I've ever heard, and does so while facilitating an absurd number of flows, and most of all good songs.

Some of Logic's robotic delivery, limited-colour depictions of emotion and the lack of records I feel will stand the test of time take away from the record being higher on my list, but as far as being impressed goes, this may take the cake.​

#9 - Goldlink - The God Complex
goldlink-the-god-complex-300x300.jpg

Listen: Ay Ay, Divine

This record is almost inexplicably fun. It's short and sweet, something I respect more and more out of releases. The production and tone gives a warm, light party vibe, some shit you'd throw on in a classy penthouse party or something. In a world where producers are dying to find records that nobody has heard of to get the most leet samples yo, the beats feature very popular songs mixed in to extremely great effect. You'll find yourself jamming to this song, then to that other favourite song of yours from your youth, back to the present song all in one swoop like a mix. The sound itself is very funky indeed: part garage, part bounce, part boom-bap, part electronic, part acoustic, etc. It's incredibly lush and neither the beats or the MCs overstep their boundaries. It's hard to criticize because it's just well put together fun and just bumps.​

#8 - Vibes - Theophilus London
vibes_304-304x304-300x300.jpg

Listen: Neu Law, Can't Stop

Perhaps one of the most eclectic releases of the year, London leaves no genre untouched. This is just barely hip-hop IMO, but does well enough to integrate everything together. Much like The God Complex, this album colours all these genres with such a warm and fun feel. Nothing is too pretentious. The album cover is especially fitting, it really does feel like something that you might have one day found in your uncle's living room or something but connected with immediately, and the 80s feel is evoked to the max throughout.

It's jazzy. It's electronic. It's soulful. It's R&B. It's disco. It's dancehall. It's hip-hop. Some put a smile on your face music.​

#7 - YG - My Krazy Life
yg-my-krazy-life-cover.jpg

Listen: My N***a, I Just Wanna Party

YG hit us with the surprise of the year. An album full of banger after banger after banger. Whilst carried by the production, YG manages to complement it well and come out with a considerable number of quotables and memorable songs period. Songs like My N***a will be in the history books. Eternal jams. Features equally carry their weight, and the project is very well sequenced as well, so it is very much listenable from front to back.

Mustard's magic has never been as infectious as it is in this particular project. Between the aggressive raps and the trademark, the highlights on this album are a heroin shot of energy right into your hips and shoulders. You can't help but bump your head and vibe to most of this shit, or more likely, just get up and dance. It's not even necessarily turn up music, just jams.​

#6 - Common - Nobody's Smiling
nobodys-smiling3-304x304-300x300.jpg

Listen: Nobody's Smiling, Kingdom

At first, I wouldn't sure if this album would stand out even months later, but I was mistaken. Common and his ear are too nice to fall off, I'm convinced. Common tackles Chicago and general inner-city youths' woes in this album, and a lot of that is from the atmosphere it gives you alone. It's sombre, cold, metallic, glowing, rattling and echoing with a constant ray of sunlight cutting through the smoke. That ray being Common's piercing voice and delivery, which complements the production very well.

Every time I go back to this album, I get re-lost in it to hear what Common Sense has to say, even though it's not particularly novel or effective to the cause ultimately. But he's just a fucking great writer, and the shit he says gets stuck in your head. You created me from dust, that's why I had to do dirt. Most of the features hold their own as well, and the production is consistently FRESH. Great, solid, project. Com is that dude.​

#5 - ScHoolboy Q - Oxymoron
Schoolboy-Q-Oxymoron-Cover-1-300x300.jpg

Listen: Break The Bank, Fuck LA

Despite being a disappointment to my expectations, this still ended up being a solid, distinctly Q project, with superbly high highs that most albums this year lacked altogether. The raw number of great tracks is the reason why this is even so high, as many of the projects thus far are mostly "just" collections of good songs. Projects really need those :wow: records to bring them up a notch for me. Wasn't any more or less introspective than his previous records, and the theme kind of fell flat, but we still got a host of stellar songs, and a decent chunk of okay ones. Production bangs from front to back and Q is still motherfucking Q.

#4 - Mike WiLL Made It - Ransom
mike-WiLL-300x300.jpg

Listen: Drinks On Us, Possible

This might be too early to give this such a high commendation, but it gives me that gut feel of everlasting quality. Listening to this I feel like how I imagined many people felt after listening to Albert Anastasia or Rich Forever, just sheer quality banger after banger. There's great variety to be had here as well, sprung across quite the selection of artists as well. Being a producer tape, and not from some trash or one not producer either, it's top class production from front to back. It's also one of the few projects this year that justifies its long length IMO.​

#3 - Run The Jewels - RTJ2
runthejew-300x300.jpg

Listen: Oh My Darling (Don't Cry), Lie, Cheat, Steal

RTJ came back this year new and improved. Sounding more gutter and refined. Feeling more wild and precise. A fun, headbanger of an album that scratches more itches than one, and definitely more itches than it's predecessor, giving it some decent legs as well. The production has that funk too. Not much to say about this, RTJ doesn't exactly make surprising stuff and you know what you're getting when you, but RTJ is RTJ.

#2 - Travi$ Scott - Days Before Rodeo
5375639.jpg

Listen: Mamacita, Skyfall

La Flame, don't play no games. Travi$ Scott just gets it. As a student of southern hip-hop and perhaps one of the biggest driving forces behind Yeezus, Travi$ Scott puts all that he's learned to try and not be like every other trap artist and evolve the subgenre. With La Flame it's never a typical ordeal, there's always a distinct flavour that comes with it, whether it's from his unique ad-libs or his uncanny ability to create mood in his songs. Days Before Rodeo is not the most consistent of records, sonically, or quality-wise but it probably has the most knockouts of any album this year. The highs are high as FUCK and make for some super memorable records that won't get washed away as fast as many of his contemporaries.

Altogether though, it's dripping of swag and darker experiences. That's what you get from La Flame and from this project in general: shit you can bump your head to, but still get a tiny glimpse into the person he is and the type of shit that keeps him up at night. La Flame has always been charismatic on the mic, but his actual skills as an MC have improved on this record and he's shown some versatility in tackling a slew of tracks nothing like those found on his last project.​

#1 - CyHi The Prynce - Black Hystori Project
cyhi-black_histori_304-304x304-300x300.jpg

Listen: Huey, Mandela

CyHi manages to do what the combined strength of Jay-Z and Kanye have struggled to and could not do: create the ultimate Black History Project. This is easily the most well-produced project of the year. From front to back it's just.. beautiful. Maybe it's the shitty sound quality too, but it's all so warm, valiant, triumphant, proud and nostalgic. And front-to-back, CyHi is spitting over this shit. Now, we all know CyHi can spit, but the problem has always been that he's never given us a reason to care. I, myself, wrote him off until this concept album arose, and dear god was I shocked. Son was spitting battle rapper level double entendres on a beat.

Pretty much every part of this project is well constructed. You have great writing: simple concepts and metaphors elaborated into full songs like Barry (Bury) White, and some straight up storytelling and knowledge kicking on others. He even manages to make some overwrought topics like Basquiat's legacy feel at home within the context of the album and it's theme. The production, as I mentioned above is top class. The album has both faster and slower pace songs intermixed and sequenced in such a way that always makes you interested to see where CyHi will take you next. This project stripped CyHi of his weaknesses and only left the strengths on show, and I have to commend him for that also.​

Cheddahz

Banned
Album of the Year:
1) Ratking - So It Goes (Album Stream)
2) Sir Michael Rocks - Banco (Album Stream)
3) Freddie Gibbs & Madlib - Pinata (Album Stream)
4) Open Mike Eagle - Dark Comedy (Album Stream)
5) Shabazz Palaces - Lese Majesty (Sample Song)
6) Rome Fortune - Small VVorld (Album Stream)
7) Run The Jewels - Run The Jewels 2 (Album Stream)
8) Lil Herb - Welcome to Fazoland (Album Stream)
9) Kool A.D. - Word O.K. (Album Stream)
10) Tunji Ige - The Love Project (Album Stream)

Honorable Mentions:
Rick Ross - Mastermind/Hood Billionaire
Ghostface Killah - 36 Seasons
OG Maco - OG Maco Ep
YG - My Krazy Life

MoodyFog

Album Of The Year

Freddie Gibbs & Madlib - Piñata; 4 points
YG - My Krazy Life ; 3 points
Mike Will Made-it - Ransom ; 3 points
Rich Gang - Tha Tour Part 1n; 2 points
Lil Herb - Welcome to Fazoland ; 2 points
Og Maco - OG Maco EP ; 2 points
Kevin Gates - By Any Means ; 1 point
Shy Glizzy - Young Jefe; 1 point
Starlito - Black Sheep Don't Grin ; 1 point
100s - IVRY ; 1 point

Song Of The Year

Young Thug - Danny Glover 4 points
YG - Who Do You Love? ; 3 points
OG Maco - Bitch U Guessed It ; 3 points
Travi$ Scott - Mamacita; 2 points
Rick Ross - Elvis Presley Blvd ; 2 points
Migos - Fight Night; 2 points
Young Thug - The Blanguage ; 1 point
Future - Move That Dope; 1 point
Og Maco & Migos - Fuckemx3 ; 1 point
Too $hort - 19,999 ; 1 point

Artist/Group Of The Year

Young Thug

Producer Of The Year

Mike Will Made-It

Rookie of The Year

Lil Herb

Feature Killer of the Year

Young Thug

L Of The Year

Lil Wayne

CRS

Reserved.

Thanks CRS.

Wait, what's the reason behind no EPs? :eek:gmacocry

15 tracks is an album, no way in hell that's an EP.

Trap artists these days consider anything less than 30 tracks an EP. smh

Edit: To answer your other question, I think the reasoning was there were a couple prominent EPs a couple of years ago or so and it was unfair to fully realized albums to take away a spot. And unfortunately, there weren't enough EPs to have it's own category, so we decided to exclude EPs.

If there's enough votes to reverse it, I'll more than gladly remove it from the OP.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Top 10 Albums of 2014 (I think all of these were amazing)
lawd.png

tumblr_n2legtICXH1rxttr1o1_500.gif

1) Freddie Gibbs - Pinanta
2) Mick Jenkins - The Waters
3) Rick Ross - Hood Billonaire
4) Curren$y - The Drive Through Theater
5) Run The Jewels - R.T.J.2
6) Isaiah Rashad - Cilvia
7) 100’s - IVRY
8) Pharoah Monch - P.T.S.D
9) Ghostface Killah - 36 Seasons
10) Rick Ross - Mastermind

Top 10 Songs of 2014 (I think these were all amazing)
whew.png

f6f3a3f074d5f1eff32c15a8c195acbf.gif

1) A$AP Rocky - Multiply
2) Vince Staples - Nate
3) Kendrick - Never Catch Me
4) Mick Jenkins - The Waters
5) Rick Ross & Jeezy - War Ready
6) Spitta - Countin Money
7) Spitta - Money Shot
8) RTJ2 - Crown
9) French Montana - Playing in the Wind 2
10) Kendrick - I Love Myself

Honorable Mentions & EP’s of 2014
banderas.png

Smoke DZA & RFC - Outsiderz: Smoke has returned to form to when he use to drop solid albums……. Good for him

Curren$y - More Saturday Night Car Tunes. Its better than part 1

Curren$y - Saturday Night Car Tunes. Why spitta didn’t combine these into a legit mixtape idk. If he had it would of been a top 10 album for me

Le$ - Ace Curren$y might of finally found his weed rap Pippen

French Montana - Mac & Cheese 4: The Appetizer …..Those Fraud beats brehs
wow.png

Azealia Banks - Broke With Expensive taste. She is a definitely a shit starter but this album bangs. Talent wise she is the closest thing I’ve seen to lauryn Hill yet…… unfortunately she may be just as mentally unstable.

Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography. An Amazing Jeezy Album. The only thing that held it out of the top 10 was the lack of a street banger….. A jeezy album without a street banger is just not fun enough to be a top 10 album. Beyond that I got to say technically Jeezy is rapping the best verses of his career.

Diamond District - March on Washington. Last year I caught Oddisee’s Tangible Dream late and regrettably didn’t get a chance to vote for a top 5 album on my list. This time I want to give Oddisee and his crewmates all the props they deserve. This album is amazing and a must listen to album. If the year list was from 1 -11 this album would of been my #11 and missed the top 10 by a hair (and the lack of a song as catchy as the Premo produced "I mean business". I need to listen to the remix album because it might force me to reorder my list.

Artist of the year: J Cole…. Yeah its a troll answer but nobody really stood out to me this year….. and give Cole credit who would of guessed he would be relevant again in 2014? Not me. I had written him off like Lupe, but he sold units, made a politically relevant song, and his album was decent so he gets this spot for being the most improved rapper this year.

Feature killer: Jeezy. There wasn’t a lot of noteworthy features made by a singlr rapper this year in my opinion so I am giving this to Jeezy for his verse on War Ready. Not only did he AZ/Renegade Rick on a track on a Ross album (which hasn’t happened really since Jay did it to Ross on the first Maybach Music) Jeezy’s verse might of been the hardest verse of the year…..

Rookie of the Yeah: Mick Jenkins because he got into my top 10 as a rookie. Bobby Smhurda was a candidate but….. well things changed literally about a week ago.
snoop.png

L of the year: The defendant Bobby Smhurda (pun intended). Last year it was tough to call this because nobody really took a notewortjhy L. This year its so tough because so many rappers actually did. From all the L’s given out by Azealia Banks to other rappers (TI, Iggy, Bronson, Em) and all the L’s Banks got in return. To Drake finally being punched for tryin to steal somebody else’s girl. To even lil Wayne admitting Birdman was screwing him like he had screwed over everyone else. However the biggest L goes to Bobby Smhurda. Not only is he facing years in jail, the police got him before he really had a chance to make money or establish himself. He literally has nothing to look forward to unfortunately. Even when he gets out he will likely be broke.

Producer of the Year: Flylo. Not only was his own album full of songs that had amazing beats, the songs he has made with kendrick sounds like the type of songs that show a evolution of a rapper who not for nothing could of laid on his laurels and been considered one of the best of his generation. I can’t think of an album I am more hyped for than Kendricks (except maybe pilot talk 3)..... with that said I want a new Captain Murphy project.

Biggest Disappointment: Jay Fucking Electronica get this as a lifetime of failure award….. Drop the Album Already!!!!
damn.png
Nobody with any sense gives a fuck about what he tweet about Obama or politics in general….. his fans want a rap album about eating illuminati duchess punany while staring at ancient diagrams made of stardust that only he can make dammit. Yeah he is probably making a shit ton of money ghostwriting for more established rapper and is in an illuminati descendant’s will even if he failed at that…. i really don’t care…. I want him to just drop the album…..

DominoKid

Artist of the Year: Young Thug
Producer of the Year: Mike Will
Rookie of the Year: Isaiah Rashad

Top 10 Songs
Rich Gang - Givenchy ; 4 points (I'm not all that concerned about the rest of the spots, but I know this is the best song of the year.)
Travis Scott (feat. T.I.)- Quintana Pt 2; 3 points
iLoveMakonnen (feat. Drake)- Tuesday ; 3 points
Future - Throwaway ; 2 points
T.I. (feat. Young Thug) - About The Money ; 2 points
Drake - 0 to 100 ; 2 points
Travis Scott (feat. Rich Homie Quan & Young Thug) - Mamacita ; 1 point
Rae Sremmurd - No Type ; 1 point
Big Sean (feat. E-40) - IDFWU ; 1 point
Lil B - Fuck KD ; 1 point

Honorable Mention Albums
Future – Honest / Monster
PARTYNEXTDOOR – PARTYNEXTDOOR TWO
Mike Will – Ransom
The Neighbourhood - #000000 & #FFFFFF
Lil B – Hoop Life

Top 10 Albums
B9cG0ot.jpg
Y2Z1nXF.jpg

10. Goldlink - The God Complex / 100s - IVRY
Listen: Goldlink - Ay Ay / 100s - Different Type of Love
In my head these two albums kind of go together for me as the grooviest rap projects of the year. God Complex has an airy, chill bounce to it. Whereas IVRY has gives me vibes of early 90s rap forced through an Outkast filter. Neither are great lyrically. Goldlink’s flow shines a bit more and 100s was gifted with a voice that just commands your attention. I think I mentioned at one point that I’d love to hear these 2 collab on a track but apparently IVRY was the last gasp of 100s in this superpimp persona. Meanwhile I think we have a lot to look forward to with Goldlink.

Rq3cNTW.jpg

8. YG – My Krazy Life
Listen: Meet The Flockers
My Krazy Life is probably the most surprising project of the year considering it came from a truly mediocre rapper and a largely one-note producer. YG and Mustard showed that a bit of vision and direction can go a long way to crafting a solid album. For much of 2014 you could any one of about 10 songs from this album at random and spike a party. Conceptual standouts “Meet The Flockers” and “Really Be” and “1 AM” provide some of the context for YG’s hood tale and fill out the album well. Rappers of all skill levels would do well to give this album a few listens to see how to put together a good project.

jsYNFi2.jpg

7. Shabazz Palaces - Lese Majesty
Listen: Motion Sickness
This album is the odd one out of my list. For the most part the beats don’t bang so much as carry a consistent hum throughout with frequent breaks for a samples and beat changes. Ishmael Butler (formerly of Digable Planets) is your tour guide through these everchanging soundscapes. Once you grow accustomed to the strange beats, it becomes easier to focus in on the lyrics and the humor and wit of Butler’s lyrics really shine through. A lot of it sounds abstract and dense, but Ish is a braggart at heart. He just drowns it in astrological and spiritual concepts instead of beating you over the head with tales of wealth, women and possessions. Right now it sits at #7 on my list but I can only see it rising when I revisit 2014.

9laM1Vo.jpg

6. Kevin Gates - By Any Means
Listen: Wish I Had It
Most trap artists trade in outlandish boasts and kingpin fantasies. Kevin Gates trades in the human context that guides these delusions of grandeur. Blessed with a voice filled with power but enough of a crackle to sound vulnerable, Gates can flip from being the typical trapstar to being a crazed lover or even make a song about the birth of his child and entertain with each topic. Easily the most complete trap rapper in the game right now from a lyrical and stylistic standpoint. The production is pretty standard fare for trap music but By Any Means is Gates at his best yet. It all comes together on the catchy yet ridiculously unsettling “Posed To Be In Love”, a track about domestic abuse. It’s never easy with Gates because he lacks a filter but it’s always gripping.

wVndVya.jpg

5. Freddie Gibbs & Madlib – Pinata
Listen: Bomb (feat. Raekwon)
It took a while but Freddie Gibbs finally got the cornerstone of his discography that he has been looking for. Over Madlib’s soulful beats, Gibbs finally sounds comfortable with his position in the game and he delivers his best performance to date. “Harolds” is an ode to a chicken shack that really puts you into his hometown state of mind. “Deeper” is a tale about relationship failings and lost loves that everybody can relate to on some level. It’s tinged with a great bit of bitterness but it also has the awareness necessary to make this song not sound like he’s bashing her. There isn’t anything on here close to a banger but that doesn’t stop Gangsta Gibbs from coming out to play on tracks like “Real” and “Thuggin.”

zUuFI67.png

4. Migos - No Label 2
Listen: Emmitt Smith
“Emmitt Smith” is the perfect song to represent this Migos tape. It’s too long. The beat sounds like a carnival. It's littered with silly wordplay and puns based on the song title. The vocal performance threatens to pummel your ears into submission with it’s relentlessness delivery. Yet it’s never gets boring due to the constantly changing vocals (No Fuckin Wit), quirky adlibs (every damn song) and comical lines (Freak No More, Handsome & Wealthy). It ranks so high on the list simply because there’s a basically 2 albums worth of bangers on this long ass tape.

mBBaAaI.jpg

3. Isaiah Rashad - Cilvia
Listen: Ronnie Drake
The running joke after TDE announced they’d be dropping 6 projects is that newcomer Isaiah Rashad would end up with the best one. We only got 4 of those, and 2 were extreme disappointments, but I think even if Jay Rock and Kendrick dropped, Cilvia would be good competition. As the newcomer to TDE, Cilvia serves as a proof of concept for why they signed him. As a rapper he lands somewhere between KRIT and J. Cole. Listen to “RIP Kevin Miller” and “Ronnie Drake” to get a good look at what makes him tick. The production is lush and soulful yet it doesn’t sound dated at all. Hopefully this is just the start of a great career for him.

t0oTtbq.jpg

2. Young Thug & Rich Homie Quan - Rich Gang Tha Tour Pt. 1
Listen: Flava (feat. Birdman)
Rich Gang featured hands down the most entertaining vocal performances in 2014. I could point out so many but I’ll focuses on a few: Young Thug blacking out on the opening track “Givenchy” after a classic Birdman intro. Rich Homie Quan’s delivering beautiful background vocals on the hook for the “Tell Em.” Birdman attempts to bore a hole into your brain with that incessant Rich Gang adlib all over the mixtape. Quan and Thug have an instant, effortless chemistry that nobody else in the game really has right now. Lord help them now that they’re under Birdman’s wing
kSCQuMl.png

slmd9qh.jpg

1. Travis Scott - Days Before Rodeo
Listen: Mamacita (feat. Rich Homie Quan & Young Thug)
Deep down I am a fan of production more than anything. Days Before Rodeo is pretty much everything I could’ve hoped for in Travis Scott’s follow-up to the surprisingly good Owl Pharaoh. Featuring outstanding production from Scott, Metro Boomin, Southside, Mike Dean and so many others, DBR sounds like trap music plunged into a deep, dark, Texas-twinged hell. Guest stars Migos, Big Sean, Young Thug & Rich Home Quan deliver standout performances and play in Scott’s sandbox like it’s their second home. This album begs to be played as loud as humanly possible.

That's 2014 yall. It was fun.
tumblr_ncfk3kH0tT1tem0kao1_400.gif

Just get rid of the no EP rule. Covert Coup was one of Gaf-Hop most voted albums the year it came out that was under 30 mins(EP Length)

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Just get rid of the no EP rule. Covert Coup was one of Gaf-Hop most voted albums the year it came out that was under 30 mins(EP Length)
Agree with this.

You have stuff like the PRHYME album which is 9 tracks but the Low Pros EP is 11 tracks.

I don't think it should matter really if they genuinely enjoy that package of music more, especially in 2014, as long as people aren't counting some 3 track fan greatest hits mixtapes and stuff.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Reserved for the TRUTH.

Album of the Year 2014:

aotyc1uzv.png

Single of the Year 2014:

soty0uusl.png

Individual Categories:

• Artist/Group of the Year:
    Run The Jewels

• Producer of the Year
    Alchemist

• Rookie of the Year
    Lil Herb

• Feature Killer of the Year
    Young Thug - no one really felt super strong this year, but he did an admirable job if not occasionally good.

• "L" of the Year
    Bobby Shmurda - came out at the end of the year guns blazing and took home the gold. See ya in fifty years you jackass.

• Biggest Disappointment
    TDE and false promises. Clean up your act and watch out for your friends. You aren't long for this world.

studyguy

KeOE11.gif

IN IT

1. Run The Jewels - RTJ2
2. Freddie Gibbs and Madlib - Pinata
3. Goldlink - The God Complex
4. Black Milk - If There's a Hell Below
5. Shabazz Palaces - Lese Majesty
6. Rome Fortune - Small VVorld
7. Rich Gang - Tha Tour Pt.1
8. Kevin Gates - Luca Brasi 2
9. J Cole - Forest Hills Drive
10. Mick Jenkins - The Water

1: Run The Jewels - Close Your Eyes (And Count to Fuck)
2: Goldlink - Planet Paradise
3: Freddie Gibbs & Madlib - Uno
4: Black Milk ft. Mel - Every Day Was
5: A$AP Rocky - Multiply
6: OG Maco - Bitch U Guessed It
7: Flying Lotus ft Kendrick Lamar - Never Catch Me
8: Kevin Gates ft August Alsina - I Don't Get Tired (#IDGT)
9: Mick Jenkins - The Waters
L: Ab Soul - W.W.S.D
gWbfOvG.png

Artist of the Year:
Run The Jewels
tumblr_muqgwqepMx1qbls2ko1_400.gif

Producer of the Year:
Madlib

Rookie of the Year:
Goldlink

"L" of the Year:
BvHSZFU.png

Disappointment of the Year:
TDE

Just wanted to say Hip hop album of the year is Pinata followed by Ratking's So It Goes.

L of the year is Eminem stans still trying to make him out as anything but old and boring. Or to be straight to the point garbage. Not even pitchfork, who usually suck at rating rap albums, gave him a pass.

CoolOff

Albums of the Year:

UxjIxvk.gif

1. Run the Jewels 2 - Run the Jewels
2. Lese Majesty - Shabazz Palaces
3. The Water - Mick Jenkins
4. Piñata - Freddie Gibbs & Madlib
5. Banco - Sir Michael Rocks
6. Cilvia Demo - Isaiah Rashad
7. The Art of Chill - Nitty Scott MC
8. Welcome To Fazoland - Lil Herb
9. If There's a Hell Below - Black Milk
10. Broke With Expensive Taste - Azealia Banks

Songs of the year:

tumblr_naj84qko8T1qkfj6po1_500.gif

1. Action Bronson - Easy Rider
2. Run the Jewels - Oh My Darling Don't Cry
3. Young Thug ft. A$AP Ferg & Freddie Gibbs - Old English
4. Rae Sremmurd - No Type
5. Freddie Gibbs - Harold's
6. Vince Staples - Hands Up
7. Common ft. Lil Herb - The Neighborhood
8. J. Cole - Fire Squad
9. A$AP Rocky ft. Juicy J - Multiply
10. Kaaris - Chargé

Artist/Group of the Year:

Run the Jewels

Producer of the Year:
Mike Will Made-It

Rookie of the Year:
Mick Jenkins

Feature Killer of the Year:

Lil Herb

"L" of the Year:

Bobby Shmurda

Biggest Disappointment:

NehruvianDOOM

T Dollarz

1. Freddie Gibbs & Madlib - Cocaine Pinata
2. Step Brothers - Lord Steppington
3. YG - My Krazy Life
4. Run the Jewels - Run the Jewels 2
5. Isaiah Rashad - Cilvia Demo
6. Ratking - So It Goes
7. Lil Herb - Welcome to Fazoland
8. Antwon - Heavy Hearted in Doldrums
9. Rome Fortune - Small VVorld
10. Sir Michael Rocks - Banco

AOTY List
1. J.Cole 2014 Forest Drive ; 4 points
2. Isaiah Rashad Cilvia Demo ; 3 points
3.Travi$ Scott Days Before Rodeo ; 3 points
4. Cyhi The Prynce Black Hystori Project ; 2 points
5.Schoolboy Q Oxymoron ; 2 points
6.100s IVRY ; 2 points
7. French Montana Mac & Cheese The Appetizer; 1 point
8.YG My Krazy Life ; 1 point
9.Ty Dolla $ign Beach House ; 1 point
10.Rich Gang The Tour Part 1 ; 1 point

Overall AOTY (all genres) = D'angelo Black Messiah

SOTY LIST
1. Big Sean ft E-40 IDFWU
2. Flying Lotus ft Kendrick Lamar Never Catch Me
3. Travi$ Scott Quintana Pt.2
4. Young Thug ft Freddie Gibbs A$AP Ferg Old English
5. Isaiah Rashad RIP Kevin Miller
6. Drake 0 to 100
7. T.I. ft Young Thug About The Money
8. Big K.R.I.T. MT. Olympus
9. Jeezy ft Jay Z Seen It All
10. Future Monster

Artist/Group of the Year
Drake

Producer of the Year
DJ Mustard

Rookie of the Year
Young Thug

Feature Killer of the Year
Young Thug

"L" of the Year
Carter V not dropping even with the Drake Stimulus

Biggest Disappointment
No album releases from Kendrick or Kanye

Hopefully 2015 has better releases.

CRS

vote for that shit, CRS knows he's trippin

First off, I'm far from trippin. Second, it's been like that for a few years now and no one had an issue till now. That's why I mentioned if enough people would like to vote for EPs, then they should let me know so I can get rid of it in the OP.

Oh and it's gone.

RJT

Please post your vote in the thread also. I always use it to check the albums I missed during the year...

IrishNinja

Run the Jewels 2 ; 4 points
Freddie Gibbs & Madlib - Piñata ; 3 points
Black Milk - If there's a hell below ; 3 points
Ghostface Killah - 36 Seasons ; 2 points
Shabazz Palaces - Lese Majesty ; 2 points
Isaiah Rashad - Cilvia ; 2 points
Hail Mary Mallon - Bestiary 1 point
Starlito - Black Sheep don't grin; 1 point
Dialted Peoples - directors of photography
Pharoah Monch - P.T.S.D ; 1 point

honorobale mentions:
Curren$y - The Drive Through Theater
French Montana - Mac & Cheese 4: The Appetizer
Rozeweood
Logic - Under Pressure
Step Brothers - lord steppington
Apollo Brown & Rass Kas - blashphemy
People Under the stairs - 12 step program
The Doppelgangaz- Peace Kehd

Artist/Group of the Year - Run the Jewels
Producer of the Year - Henry Fraud (nods to Madlib)
Video of the year - Anaconda on mute Action Bronson - Easy Rider
Rookie of the Year - Ghostface
"L" of the Year - Snuggles' list, that time Zeus said Banks was the next Lauryn Hill
Biggest Disappointment - A Better Tomorrow (don't even remember NehruvianDOOM)

injurai

Banned
reserved before page 1 is gone

preemptive shout out for rtj2

edit: forgot I reserved this, welp I'm now post 97

thabiz

1. apollo brown & rass kas - blashphemy
2. big momma - the plague
3. black milk - if theres a hell below
4. bones - skinny
5. chester watson - tin wooki
6. dialted peoples - directors of photography