• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I just saw the last Hobbit movie AKA The Hobbit: TBOTFA Spoiler Thread *SPOILERS*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darryl

Banned
Honestly? Legolas and Tauriel should have been cut. Gandalf's Dol Goldur adventures (with Saruman, Galadriel, Radagast, and Elrond) should have been cut. Stephen Fry and Alfrid should have been cut. Bard's family should have been cut. The movies would have been much better off if they had focused exclusively on the Dwarves and Bilbo, with bits of the Elves and Bard scattered here and there.

The biggest problem that I have with these movies is that they're so damn bloated. A taut, tight journey following the core characters would have resulted in a far better series of films methinks.

I didn't mind Legolas. I think that he's an interesting addition and is a fitting Elf to include as a main character. He's a fantastical character, represents a lot of the childlike wonder I remember from the book. He's a great callback without going overboard. He fits into things like that escape scene really well. I think that everything else is the problem. I think even the heavy focus on the Dwarves as individuals is a problem. There's no way people are going to be able to keep track of them all in film format. They should've been depersonalized into one group unit. It should've been Bilbo's Journey featuring Wise Gandalf, The Dopey Dwarves, and Legolas Kicking Ass. Instead it's Fight For Gold Mountain.

Blizzard

Banned
I don't remember Alfrid (I thought it was Alfred, shows what I know) mentioning something about a mother loving someone. Can someone please remind me what he said?

I will agree that his appearances seemed very weird. Practically every single time he showed up he was comic relief and/or doing yet another mean thing to show what a jerk he is. And yet, anyone in power seems to continuously trust him (elf army showing up with one person on guard at night).

I expected it to build up to some final sequence where he dies, or has something bad happen, so you can go yeah, that's a feel-good moment, he got what he deserved! But nope, he filled his breasts with gold and left. Very odd.

I was entertained enough by the movie in general, but I really wanted more than 2 seconds of bear fighting. Dropping Beorn from an eagle was awesome, and then you barely even saw a GLIMPSE of him fighting. Someone said the book had an actual army of bears too, but I don't remember enough about that.

Nairume

Banned
The Battle of Four Armies sucked

No justification was given for Smaug's defeat being held from the last movie to be used as the pre-title sequence

The special effects are painfully unfinished at times

A couple eagles showing up at the last minute doesn't make a fifth army

Only good thing was a CG Billy Connolly drunkenly wandering off the set of some Gotrek and Felix movie to beat up some orcs before disappearing in the end.

Peter Jackson is the new George Lucas

Fuck

Just got home from the movie. I enjoyed it. The 1v1 fights were well done. Christopher Lee kicks ass, and there some decent emotional moments towards the end.

Nothing will ever be on the level of the original trilogy, but I liked this the best out of the hobbit trilogy

I don't know how I didn't catch it in the earlier movies, but I had no idea Manu Bennet did the mocap for azog!

Overall it's enjoyable. I felt Smaug's death and the ending was lacklust. Smaug's death was a let down and the ending doesn't explain what happens to everyone besides bibbo. I never read the book but I do know the 5 armies, elfs and orcs never happen.

Turin

Banned
The Hobbit movies were fun despite basically being a vandalization of Tolkien's book. I don't mind that but I wouldn't want Peter Jackson touching anything in the Silmirillion or The Children of Hurin.

Oh, and Richard Armitage gave a damn fine performance regardless of what you think of the movie.

Windam

Scaley member
Overall it's enjoyable. I felt Smaug's death and the ending was lacklust. Smaug's death was a let down and the ending doesn't explain what happens to everyone besides bibbo. I never read the book but I do know the 5 armies, elfs and orcs never happen.

? There was an army of Elves led by Thranduil in the book, as well as an army of Orcs or "Goblins and Wargs" led by Bolg (not Azog as in the movies; he was killed by Dain at Moria). Then there were the Men of Dale to make up the third army, and Dain's dwarves and the eagles making up the fourth and fifth.

Ahasverus

At some point in the future, Jackson will come in and put out a single 3 hours hobbit film with no bullshit and polished effects. Until then, this series can die in a fire. what a waste of everyone's time. And please, stop making dwarves happen, they're NEVER going to happen, ever, in any fantasy story, never ever.

Repgnar

Did the movie appear fast for anyone else at times? It felt really bad at the beginning during the Smaug scenes then it felt like it happened less and less as the movie went on. It was a 3D Imax showing if that matters. Was going to go ask the staff about it but after the beginning of the movie it seemed to settle down for the most part.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I didn't mind Legolas. I think that he's an interesting addition and is a fitting Elf to include as a main character. He's a fantastical character, represents a lot of the childlike wonder I remember from the book. He's a great callback without going overboard. He fits into things like that escape scene really well. I think that everything else is the problem. I think even the heavy focus on the Dwarves as individuals is a problem. There's no way people are going to be able to keep track of them all in film format. They should've been depersonalized into one group unit. It should've been Bilbo's Journey featuring Wise Gandalf, The Dopey Dwarves, and Legolas Kicking Ass. Instead it's Fight For Gold Mountain.

I felt like every scene of his was fanservice. I would have preferred a bigger role for Thranduil or maybe they could have thrown in Glorfindel or someone like that instead.

Turin

Banned
I felt like every scene of his was fanservice. I would have preferred a bigger role for Thranduil or maybe they could have thrown in Glorfindel or someone like that instead.

This. I was really hoping to see more of him in Five Armies than we got. I love the way Lee Pace played him. Legolas could have still been in but not so prominently.

Also, I would have liked at least just one more scene with Saruman just because this is a very interesting point for him as a character.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
I really don't understand.

What went wrong with The Hobbit? The Lord of the Rings Trilogy are some of my favorite films of all time, especially the Extended Edition - Peter Jackson got it so wrong, on so many levels, I don't even know where to start.

The Hobbit feels, for a lack of better words, lifeless. The pacing is poor, the visual effects are a mess (how the hell did this happen?), and the added scenes that were not in the book feel more like fan service than anything.

I just don't know what to say. I'm just utterly disappointed by Peter Jackson's direction - a mess on all fronts.

The Battle of Four Armies sucked

No justification was given for Smaug's defeat being held from the last movie to be used as the pre-title sequence

The special effects are painfully unfinished at times

A couple eagles showing up at the last minute doesn't make a fifth army

Only good thing was a CG Billy Connolly drunkenly wandering off the set of some Gotrek and Felix movie to beat up some orcs before disappearing in the end.

Peter Jackson is the new George Lucas

Fuck

Jesus, that sucks to hear. FOTR was so amazing, why Peter, why? Oh yeah, probably money :(

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Peter was definitely tired and done. The movie wasn't bad but I missed some story and it was a 2 hour long battle with a dead dragon in 8 minutes. Like... Wtf. LOTR is the superior trilogy by a long mile but hey, I went back to middle earth and it had its moments. DOS is the best in this trilogy, with the first one second and this one third. I liked the action and it was fun but come on... It didn't need to be a whole fucking movie. Also the acting was awful most of the time.

Another thing I missed was Saruman and Sauron. Meh

Blizzard

Banned
Alfrid reminded me of Grima Wormtongue
I was almost wondering if by letting him go with no resolution, they were trying to imply he became Grima Wormtongue.

I didn't see anyone else mention it so asking one more time, did anyone hear what was said about "your mother loves you" or whatever someone was referencing in regard to Alfrid? Was he taunting someone? I forgot that part.

So after letting a couple hours passed I realized that there were a lot of things I didn't like . Smaugs death boring and no build up at all! Alfrid why did they give him so much screen time why ??? The arkenstone was an after thought at the end . Thorins death did nothing and I was really hoping it would . I know many didn't like the gandalf angle with the nine but I enjoyed it, but after thorns death it's like hey see ya bilbo . Also oh hey beorn bye beorn why even bring him in ugggghh !!

Solidsoul

Banned
I am completely aware of differentiating opinions and I support them but I really wish a higher power in the universe could explain to me how it works.

I loved all three Hobbit films, I think all three have bloat and none of them come close to a masterpiece. They all feel full of life and act as a great sequel to the lord of the rings trilogy I think.

I feel like there is a ton to appreciate here and I'm really glad these movies were done and im also glad some* of the extra stuff was included.

I'm not saying I'm right and others are wrong because that's not true at all. I just can't even see the "these films were horrible" or "Peter Jackson is the new George Lucas" comments. I think many would loved for that to be the case but these films are far better than any of the Star Wars prequels for many many reasons.

K.Sabot

I just came back from seeing this and it sucked.

By the first half of the film I was tired of the multiple times they cut all of the sound and had slow motion shots for dramatic effect, by the end of the film it pissed me off every time it happened. I hated the way this was shot.

The acting was horribly stiff, there was an incredible amount of convenience in the fights, I had my head in my hands for the latter quarter of the movie.

So much of the film looked fake. CG Dwarf on pig worst offender.

Korey

51KXtPD.png

Previous reviews:

Man of Steel
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
Cloud Atlas
Looper
The Dark Knight Rises
The Amazing Spider-Man
The Avengers

Chiggs

The movie is as bad as advertised. I'm not even sure where to start.

Legolas running on the falling blocks? The cart/Orc scene? The "please take this love away from me!" exchange?

It's a mess. A big goddamn, stinking mess. Awful and thoroughly unwatchable.

Guy above me, you're too generous.

I would say part of why LOTR looks better is they actually used practical effects. Nobody gave a shit about the cgi orc bosses cos they just look like ridiculous blobs of cgi.

This guy actually existed and has weight.
latest

i didn't really give a fuck about fili and kili's deaths. like..whatever. all y'all dwarves gave me nothing for 2 movies in terms of character development so lob them all off one by one who cares.

thorin though. he was such a shit for like 2 and a half movies but i actually really liked him after he shook the spell and took charge. his death surprisingly got me, and the scene at the end between him and bilbo is the best of the movie easily.

i actually thought all the corny alfrid scenes were hilarious until he dressed up as a woman. then it just got too silly even for this trilogy.

to hell with that tauriel shit "take this love from me etc. etc."

legolas was all good, really entertaining action from him as usual imo. bilbo was great, better in this movie than the rest. saruman and elrond kicked ass, but the scene was really pointless. whatever it's good to see christopher lee again.

that scene between thranduil and legolas about aragorn was shitty. the battles got tiresome. in lotr they always kept me entertained because the music was so on point and i loved the characters. in here they're just fodder imo. although i did enjoy the 1 on 1 between thorin and azog.

it's a fun adventure movie. far better than many before and likely after it. but it's got a lot of problems and i'm not gonna remember these fondly tbh outside of a few scenes with bilbo, gandalf etc.

Just came back from it. Solid 50/100. Did not expect so many lol moments.

The good:

-Billy Connolly in everything, he owned that battle.

-The Gandalf rescue scene was pretty awesome, imo. Almost felt like Dark Souls despite Sauron's psychedelic techno attack.

-First half of the battle delivered.

-Tauriel/Kili scenes= hilarity. The most out of places scenes in this installment came off as a parody to the point of laughing out loud.

The bad:

-Lack of Beorn and Eagle army action. 3 seconds??

-Smaowwg business should have really been wrapped in part 2.

-Tauriel/Kili storyline should have been left in the script. It added nothing but wasted screen time and resources. They weren't even good scenes.

-Anticlimactic last half of the grand battle. Not to mention that wasted time in silly elaborate orc trickery. The first part was so cool and then it just suddenly loses its boner somewhere. Disappointing.

Because of how funny this turned out, I kind of would not mind if Jackson remade Willow starring Warwick and Val again. ...and kept it under 3hrs.

? There was an army of Elves led by Thranduil in the book, as well as an army of Orcs or "Goblins and Wargs" led by Bolg (not Azog as in the movies; he was killed by Dain at Moria). Then there were the Men of Dale to make up the third army, and Dain's dwarves and the eagles making up the fourth and fifth.
Really ? I thought they added a few extra things in such as Legolas.

Yes, that is true. But Legolas, although I understand your confusion, is in fact not an army.
Haha nevermind it's been awhile since I watch the first and second movie. I watched the first with my friend who read the book and he was telling me what's different. All I remember from what he was saying was Azog was not in the book. So one assumption led to another.

I wouldn't say Jackson is the new George Lucas.

As bad and throwaway as the Star Wars prequels were, I thought Battle of Five Armies was many times worse in every possible respect (except acting, I suppose; that was pretty much fine here).

I watched it last night. I loved it. I was a bit disappointed in the way Fili died though. In the book he dies in a much more heroic manner. His movie death does not do him justice.

Other then that, I enjoyed the movies 20x more then the book. The additional content was amazing. I'm glad they went through the appendixes and added some of the unmentioned story. The scene with Saruman and Elrond fighting the shadows of the Nazgul in particular was spectacular. I also think the inclusion of Legolas makes sense. He would have been there due to his affiliation with the Woodland Realm.

I'm going to miss LOTR movies.

Well this thread is kind of depressing - not that I was expecting much, but still....

Oh well, at least I still have Return of the King, AKA the greatest movie of all time.

Shadybiz

Saw it last night. It was enjoyable enough, I guess. Better than the first, but not as good as the second.

I also didn't like how Smaug was in it for such a short time. They definitely could have put that in the 2nd movie.

The thing I had the MOST trouble with, though, is Legolas being told to seek out Strider at the end. Let's just say that Aragorn started making a name for himself at age 10. How many years are supposed to have passed between Bilbo's adventure and TLOTR? 50? 60? Wouldn't that make Aragorn a senior citizen by the time of Frodo's story? "Can we stop at Denny's on the way to Gondor for the early bird breakfast? My hip hurts."

Vashetti

Banned
Saw it last night. It was enjoyable enough, I guess. Better than the first, but not as good as the second.

I also didn't like how Smaug was in it for such a short time. They definitely could have put that in the 2nd movie.

The thing I had the MOST trouble with, though, is Legolas being told to seek out Strider at the end. Let's just say that Aragorn started making a name for himself at age 10. How many years are supposed to have passed between Bilbo's adventure and TLOTR? 50? 60? Wouldn't that make Aragorn a senior citizen by the time of Frodo's story? "Can we stop at Denny's on the way to Gondor for the early bird breakfast? My hip hurts."

How many times do we have to explain this?

Aragorn is one of the Dúnadain, blessed with long life. He's 87 in the Two Towers movie, and he dies eventually at 210 years old.

fanboi

Banned

Aragorn is one of the Dúnadain, blessed with long life. He's 87 in the Two Towers movie, and he dies eventually at 210 years old.

That is also very clear in the LOTR I would say, especially in the extenden where they say it outright.

Shadybiz

Ohh...sorry, missed that; I just popped into this thread just now. That does make sense.

Kud Dukan

Just wanted to pop in and say I saw the film last night and loved it. Overall I've enjoyed all these films. They never reach the high mark set by the LOTR films, but I can think of few movies that do for me.

I sometimes think I'm seeing different films than some people, because while it's not without its faults, I don't understand the hate these films get. They aren't perfect, but I found them very enjoyable. Then again, I never had a big attachment to the Hobbit book, so the changes never really bothered me.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
I really don't understand.

What went wrong with The Hobbit? The Lord of the Rings Trilogy are some of my favorite films of all time, especially the Extended Edition - Peter Jackson got it so wrong, on so many levels, I don't even know where to start.

The Hobbit feels, for a lack of better words, lifeless. The pacing is poor, the visual effects are a mess (how the hell did this happen?), and the added scenes that were not in the book feel more like fan service than anything.

I just don't know what to say. I'm just utterly disappointed by Peter Jackson's direction - a mess on all fronts.

It should have been one movie. The book is thinner than any of the Lord of the Rings books individually.

Bigfoot

I saw it and agree with just about all the complaints. Only difference is that I actually liked Bard and was ok with all the scenes of him and his family, except the ones with Alfrid. I also thought the whole Smaug sequence was great but I agree it should have been in the last film.

E the Shaggy

The rumor on the CG dwarf is that Billy Connolly was suffering from Parkinsons and so they had to make his character CG in order to complete the scenes.

Pretty sad.

E the Shaggy

Also, while I really disliked this movie overall, I just could not stop laughing at the idea that Laketown is like giving 14 year old kids, who are essentially starving, wooden swords and they're wrecking these 800 pound orcs clad head to toe in steel armor.

Sciortino

Watched it last night. Dear god, I found it awful. Just a very very very long scene. Thats what it was. Smaug's death should've been placed at the end of the second film. Zero character developments. Godawful CGI. I also disliked 48 fps, made me a little uncomfortable for the first 10 minutes but then the feeling disappeared at least.

kharma45

Watched it last night. Dear god, I found it awful. Just a very very very long scene. Thats what it was. Smaug's death should've been placed at the end of the second film. Zero character developments. Godawful CGI. I also disliked 48 fps, made me a little uncomfortable for the first 10 minutes but then the feeling disappeared at least.

HFR makes the CGI look worse, and the sets too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom