• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin Official Thread

Brakara

f0xoq9.jpg

Platform: PC/360/PS3
Price: $59.99 console, $49.99 PC
Ship Date: 02/10/09 US, 02/13/09 EU

F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin

From Wikipedia:

Summary said:
F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin is an upcoming 2009 horror first-person shooter video game, due for release in February 2009, developed by Monolith Productions and published by Warner Bros. for Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. It is a sequel to F.E.A.R.: First Encounter Assault Recon.

Gameplay said:
F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin is an FPS horror title. It has many elements of both typical FPS titles and action titles.

The gameplay in F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin maintains many of the same elements from the original, including slo-mo combat and enhanced AI. The AI from the original F.E.A.R. was known for its exploitation of the environments, taking cover behind pillars and knocking down tables. The AI in F.E.A.R. 2 is supposedly set to out-do what was achieved in the first, with even more intelligent AI that is far more challenging and aggressive. New features in the game include iron sight aiming, creating cover by pushing objects, and the ability to use various mechs during vehicle segments.

Official site:
http://www.whatisfear.com/

Trailers and Gameplay Footage
Fear Alma Again 30 Sec TV Spot
Slow Motion
Multiplayer Preview
1UP's Game Night with F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin [Contains Spoilers]

Screenshots:

fear-2-project-origin-20081222095855585_640w.jpg

fear-2-project-origin-20081222100016598_640w.jpg

project-origin-20080430032747542_640w.jpg

fear-2-project-origin-20081222100013036_640w.jpg

fear-2-project-origin-20081218052127367_640w.jpg

Multiplayer

There are three session types: Player Match, Ranked Match and System Link/LAN. In ranked matches you gain achievements, XP, and rank up, but the host options are only game type, number of players and the map. In player and system link matches, there's also several other host options, like private slots (for invites), friendly fire, damage reflection, time limit, respawn time, etc., but you don't rank up.

To join a match, you can either do a quick match (where you get the first available match found), or search for servers based on the game type and map. This will give you a server list which you can sort by ping, game type, map, etc.

When joining a match, you can choose your loadout. You get three loadouts that you can customize and save. You can change and/or edit a loadout in the server lobby, or during a match. There's 15 points you can spend on each loadout, and your class and character model is depending on what armor you use:

Classes

Scout - No Armor - 0 points
Grunt - Standard Armor - 4 points
Tank - Heavy Armor - 8 points

Weapons

Pistol - 1 point
Combat Shotgun - 2 points
Submachine Gun - 3 points
Hammerhead - 4 points
Automatic Shotgun - 5 points
Semi Auto Rifle - 7 points
Assault Rifle - 8 points
Sniper Rifle - 9 points

You start with a primary weapon as well as an optional secondary weapon. In addition, there are four power weapons spread out on the maps:

• Napalm Cannon
  • Laser Gun
  • Pulse Weapon
  • Rocket Launcher
You can replenish ammo by standing close to any of the ammo refill stations on the maps.

Explosives and Health

Shock Grenade (1) - 1 point
Incendiary Grenade (2) - 2 points
Frag Grenade (2) - 3 points
Medkit (1) - 3 points
Proximity Mine (1) - 4

E.g., selecting a frag grenade costs 3 points and gives you two frag grenades. But note that you cannot select frag grenades twice for 6 points and get four.

2iha1r5.jpg

The health system is slightly changed from the single player campaign. Your health and armor still degrades when being hit, but both are fully rechargable. Health recharges slowly at all times (although slightly faster if you're standing still), while armor only recharges if you're near an ammo refill station.

There are six game modes:

Deathmatch - score is based on killa minus suicides
Team Deathmatch - deathmatch with two teams
Blitz - capture the flag, where the flag leaves a trail
Failsafe - search and destroy, where you plant bombs on control points with one attacking team and one defending
Control - conquest, where you can control up-to three different points on the map to increase your team's score
Armored Front - frontlines, with five control points where all must be controlled in order to win, and where each team has one Mech

The game ships with nine maps, where three are for Armored Front only while the last six maps are for the other five modes.

Downloadable Content

Toy Soldiers - three free maps
Armored Front - two new maps for the armored front mode
Reborn - new single player missions

Achievements and Trophies

Xbox 360 Achievements [Contains list of all mission names]
PS3 Trophies [Contains list of all mission names]

Reviews (PC/360/PS3):

With a few notable exceptions, reviewers seem to agree that it's good, solid title living up to the F.E.A.R. name. The main critical points have been the lack of innovation compared to the first game, and a multiplayer that brings nothing new to the table.

1UP - A-
VideoGamer - 9/10
GameTrailers - 8.7
IGN AU - 8.6
IncGamers - 8.6
IGN UK - 8.5
Game Informer - 8.25 / 8.5
IGN - 8.3 (PC)
play.tm - 83
IGN - 8.1 (Consoles)
TeamXbox - 8.1

Edge - 8/10
gamesTM - 8/10
Giant Bomb - 4/5
Gamespy - 4.0/5.0
Wired - 8/10
GamePro - 4/5
PC Zone UK - 80
Playstation: The Official Magazine (US) - 80
Official Xbox Magazine - 75
Gamespot - 7.0
Eurogamer - 5/10

PC Requirements

Minimum System Requirements said:
*CPU: P4 2.8GHz (3.2GHz Vista)/Athlon 64 3000+ (3200+ Vista)
*GPU: DX9-capable graphics card with 256MB (SM 2.0b). NVidia 6800 or ATI X700.
*RAM: 1GB (1.5GB Vista)
*Hard Drive: 12GB
*DirectX: 9.0c
*Sound: DX9.0c compliant
*Optical drive: DVD (boxed only)
*Internet: Broadband
Recommended System Requirements said:
*CPU: Core 2 Duo 2.2GHz processor family/Athlon 64 X2 4400+ (required for MP host)
*GPU: Fully DX9-compliant graphics card with 512MB (SM 3.0). NVidia 8600 GTS or ATI HD 2900 XT.
*Ram: 1.5GB
*Hard Drive: 12GB
*DirectX: 9.0c
*Sound: DX9.0c compliant
*Optical drive: DVD (boxed only)
*Internet: Broadband (768kbit/sec upstream required to host 16 players)

diss

Banned
woo, the game is done. will likely buy despite not being a huge fan of the last game

now go work on nolf3 -_-

Lince

Banned
diss said:
woo, the game is done
now go work on nolf3 -_-

thanks for the nice thread, Brakara.
I have this one pre-ordered and fully paid for, I'm not digging the lean system exclusion but I was so in love with FEAR back at the time that I had to give this one a chance. Can't wait. Will contribute to the thread translating Spanish reviews as soon as they start coming out.

Forsete

Looking forward to the game so I checked some prices. What the hell? €50 on STEAM? I can get it for €35 on a disc! What the fuck? Isnt DD supposed to be cheaper?

Brakara

Forsete said:
Looking forward to the game so I checked some prices. What the hell? €50 on STEAM? I can get it for €35 on a disc! What the fuck? Isnt DD supposed to be cheaper?

Not for us Europeans, unfortunately.

senahorse

Forsete said:

Thank the strong greenback for that. It works out a few dollars more expensive for me (Aus) but for convenience sake I will be getting the steam copy anyway.

Forsete

Brakara said:
Not for us Europeans, unfortunately.

Ok, looks like I wont be buying anything from Steam ever again if this keeps up.

DD am phailure total.

It works out a few dollars more expensive for me (Aus) but for convenience sake I will be getting the steam copy anyway.

Here FEAR 2 is priced at the same level of a console game, thats hilarious. PC games are usually around €30-35.

Brakara

Lince said:
thanks for the nice thread, Brakara.
I have this one pre-ordered and fully paid for, I'm not digging the lean system exclusion but I was so in love with FEAR back at the time that I had to give this one a chance. Can't wait. Will contribute to the thread translating Spanish reviews as soon as they start coming out.

Ah, good idea. I see that Gamereactor.no gave it a 8/10. Highlights:

Pros: Intense fights, good AI and physics
Cons: Poor storytelling

Summary:

In short, I enjoyed this action thriller. It simply has a marvelous game engine that makes each enemy encounter a breath of fresh air. The use of slow-mo can encourage the player to be more creative and daring in battles, which makes a playful impression over what is mostly a dramatic and exciting game experience. F.E.A.R. 2 forces you to hold your breath during the supernatural sequences, but it's the action sequences that really takes your breath away.

Haunted

Just in time!

Didn't like the demo too much, but Fear 1 was a marvel when it came out. Def need to see more impressions before I decide whether to take the plunge or not.
Finished R2 just yesterday, need a stopgap until another FPS hits.

edit: People trying the PC demo, was it well optimised? Didn't have a chance to check it out yet on my rig.

edit²:
Forsete said:
Here FEAR 2 is priced at the same level of a console game, thats hilarious. PC games are usually around €30-35.
:eek: Here, third party console games are €70 and PC games are €45-50. Damn you Scandinavians!
Well ok, there are cheaper alternatives available if you look around, but those are the RRPs.

Lince

Banned
Haunted said:
People trying the PC demo, was it well optimised? Didn't have a chance to check it out yet on my rig.

Q6600 / 9800GTX+ rocksolid vsync 60 fps but with some weird hiccups (loading?) I hope that's fixed for the retail version.

Haunted said:
edit: People trying the PC demo, was it well optimised? Didn't have a chance to check it out yet on my rig.
Yessir, worked smoothly with all highs on a 7900GTX. It's not a very demanding game.

You'll get some nasty black borders if you don't have a 16:9 monitor though, unless someone modded that already.

Darklord

Banned
Danne-Danger said:
You'll get some nasty black borders if you don't have a 16:9 monitor though, unless someone modded that already.

That's pretty stupid. They don't have 4:3 resolutions?

Darklord said:
That's pretty stupid. They don't have 4:3 resolutions?
They do, but you'll still get a 16:9 aspect ratio if you choose say 1024x768, i.e black bars. I think Mirror's Edge did the same thing, it sucks.

Then again I don't know if anything has happened since the release of the demo... it may very well be fixed by now.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Forsete said:

Dayum it is only £25 on the UK steam store :(

Day 1 for me :D

Ricker

Really looking forward to this one,loved the demo but I hope it's 59 in Canada also,not the new trend of 69 dollar games...since I won't play the multi,I will have to rent it if it's 69 bucks and unless you are lucky,they are hard to grab on rentals for the first few weeks.

Brakara

Ricker said:
Really looking forward to this one,loved the demo but I hope it's 59 in Canada also,not the new trend of 69 dollar games...since I won't play the multi,I will have to rent it if it's 69 bucks and unless you are lucky,they are hard to grab on rentals for the first few weeks.

According to videogamesplus.ca, it's $59.99CDN.

This probably goes without saying, but lets keep the FEAR2 vs Killzone crap out of the official threads, at least for a couple months :D

Haunted

Lince said:
Q6600 / 9800GTX+ rocksolid vsync 60 fps but with some weird hiccups (loading?) I hope that's fixed for the retail version.
Danne-Danger said:
Yessir, worked smoothly with all highs on a 7900GTX. It's not a very demanding game.

Thanks guys, I should be fine with my 8800GT then. :)

If I do, I'll play this on my TV, so that's 16:9.

Sean

Banned
While I enjoyed the demo I'm probably just gonna rent this one since I'm only interested in playing the SP campaign.

Do we know the average length of the game yet?

See

The game ran alright on my Athlon XP 2100, ATI Radeon 9700 pro with 1 gig of ram with nearly everything on high.

But in the start of the game up until the school hallway, my character, the enemies and the gun was completely black. They do illuminate when shots are fired and the flash light is on, but not directly under a wall light. All other areas are fine though.

Haeleos

I really hated how the majority of the plot was told through answering machine messages in the first game. I hope they didn't do the same thing this time. Also, I found it really lame that your faceless mute character was dragged into the plot in the last couple hours. I would have much rather remained to be a smaller player in the scheme of things, because otherwise it seemed kind of forced.

Also, can you turn off the Republic Commando-like HUD?

does that joy2key program let me map my side mouse buttons to different keys on my keyboard?

Haunted said:
Thanks guys, I should be fine with my 8800GT then. :)

If I do, I'll play this on my TV, so that's 16:9.

I've got an 8800gt too and it ran everything perfectly. The small skips throughout the demo were in the console versions too, it's just one of those things.

other slight problems in the PC verison is the inability to map side mouse buttons and bad acceleration on the mouse. Nothing deal breaking, just annoyances.

pretty excited to play this on Wednesday

Nizz

I want to wait for more reviews/impressions from the final PS3 version. Very disappointing that you can't use R1 to shoot. :( Hopefully the final version runs smoother than the demo did. Other than those two issues, overall I enjoyed the gameplay. Anyone use those snap-on triggers with the Dualshock 3? I may have to pick those up now...

Brakara

fps fanatic said:
Anyone use those snap-on triggers with the Dualshock 3? I may have to pick those up now...

For what it's worth, according to Garnett Lee in the Game Night video I linked to in the OP, John Davison are both using and loving them.

Nizz

Brakara said:
For what it's worth, according to Garnett Lee in the Game Night video I linked to in the OP, John Davison are both using and loving them.
Oh yeah, that's right. I couldn't remember if I had heard that on Listenup or on Game Night but I remember David Ellis mentioning that. Nice thread by the way. :D

kodt

Banned
I think I am going to get this for PC but I hope they fix the stuttering issue. It ran very smooth, but every so often I would get these weird stutters, it would not happen during firefights so I don't think it was performance based at all. And it would happen like 10 times in a row so it wasn't just auto-saves. I saw a thread on HardOCP about this issue so it wasn't just me.

Hopefully this is fixed in retail.

Bebpo

Banned
I didn't like the first one much, but the demo for #2 seemed to fix 3/4th the issues I had with the original so I'll be giving this a shot.

Also helps that it looks gorgeous.

Haunted

Linkzg said:
does that joy2key program let me map my side mouse buttons to different keys on my keyboard?

I've got an 8800gt too and it ran everything perfectly. The small skips throughout the demo were in the console versions too, it's just one of those things.
Excellent. The small skips sound like the game is streaming/loading stuff in the background, PoP had those too.

TheGOHN

I sold the first one with out finishing it, so I might pic this up but I'm in no hurry.

The demo was nice tho.

I'm so disappointed by the lack of lean in this game. It changes the game entirely for me, and I fucking hate it cuz now it plays like a standard run-n-gun shooter (I never used slow-mo in FEAR 1 or EP - I preferred keeping firefights frantic and challenging, requiring me to try and flank em via leaning around corners, etc.).

I'll probably still buy it in a few months but there's no way in hell Monolith is getting my full $60 for this shit.
It's like Condemned 2 all over again...

Forsete said:
You can get it for 279:-, which would be approximately half of what Steam's asking.

Craziness.

Incase you folks don't frequent CAG, FEAR 2 can be ordered from Warner Brother's online store for $36 + tax & shipping after a 25% off coupon. Shipping is free for orders over $50.

Source

Easy_D

never left the stone age
VibratingDonkey said:
You can get it for 279:-, which would be approximately half of what Steam's asking.

Craziness.
Sold out, I need this day 1 :(. There's GAME who sell it for like 400:- but I think I have around 50-60:- rebate on my card. Dilemma!

~Kinggi~

Banned
Schwowsers said:
Incase you folks don't frequent CAG, FEAR 2 can be ordered from Warner Brother's online store for $36 + tax & shipping after a 25% off coupon. Shipping is free for orders over $50.

Source
Hmm, this is tempting.

Top Bottom