• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paragon 2015 | Super Smash Bros. Tournament APEX 2015 Qualifier | Jan. 17-18th

Revven

Paragon2015.jpg

Paragon 2015 is the last APEX 2015 Qualifier before the big event at the end of the month. This is an insanely stacked tournament and one you shouldn't miss!

Brackets

All pools and brackets (for the eventual Top 64 and Top 32) can be found here

Where can I watch?

Main Stream: www.twitch.tv/vgbootcamp
Secondary Stream (Smash 4): www.twitch.tv/vsgc

Schedule

Schedule is here

Notable Players
PL EMP | Mew2King
[A]rmada
LiquidHungrybox
Leffen
MOR | Axe
Westballz
Shroomed
LuCKy
FRQ | HugS
MacD
MIOM | SFAT
mikeHAZE
SS | S0ft
VS | Plup
SS | Colbol

& many more!

Cool, thanks for the thread! I didn't actually know PM and LoL were going to be here.

Any word on if PM is being streamed? I feel like every time that game's at tournament that isn't primarily PM it never even gets a secondary stream. Unless VGBootCamp is doing it, but they're probably too preoccupied with Melee for a tournament this big.

JoeInky

Is anyone else watching this through livestreamer?

All of a sudden it's saying it's found no streams at the URL. Never had this problem before.

Revven

Any word on if PM is being streamed? I feel like every time that game's at tournament that isn't primarily PM it never even gets a secondary stream. Unless VGBootCamp is doing it, but they're probably too preoccupied with Melee for a tournament this big.

I don't think it will be unfortunately. If Smash 4 weren't here I think vsgc would stream PM but because Smash 4 is here I think that's their priority (plus I feel like all APEX Qualifiers aren't allowed to stream PM on the main stream :/). And yeah VGBC has a tight ship to run today with Melee -- there's really no room I guess. It sucks a lot but PM is still thriving regardless of lack of stream time at these majors.

Also SmashMac's Doc is hot with all these full hop Dairs, danggg.

How is the community reacting to Smash4? I really enjoy it and find it a lot more fun than Brawl and Melee, but I feel that the Melee community will never drop that game.

when is Leffen

How is the community reacting to Smash4? I really enjoy it and find it a lot more fun than Brawl and Melee, but I feel that the Melee community will never drop that game.

Melee players don't need to drop their game for Smash 4 to find a player base. Which is what is happening. A lot of people play it, just (mostly) not the same people.

EDIT: yay, TK commentary

Revven

New players and Brawl players are picking up Smash 4, there's very little cross pollination between Melee and Smash 4. There's a few known Melee players playing Smash 4 like Hbox but he hasn't dropped Melee.

They're not going to drop Melee and I'm not sure why you'd expect them to when the game has 1,040 entrants at APEX 2015 and is on this continual YoY growth in terms of viewers and players alike. And I mean, Melee is the game that birthed the competitive scene in the first place so I can't ever see Melee being dropped by a significant amount of people unless Nintendo gets in the way or CRTs/Gamecubes/copies of Melee go completely extinct.

Pappasman

The Brawl kids moved over to S4. Melee people didn't obviously, theres no reason to. Its so different, but both communities can co-exist so its all good.

I don't think it will be unfortunately. If Smash 4 weren't here I think vsgc would stream PM but because Smash 4 is here I think that's their priority (plus I feel like all APEX Qualifiers aren't allowed to stream PM on the main stream :/). And yeah VGBC has a tight ship to run today with Melee -- there's really no room I guess. It sucks a lot but PM is still thriving regardless of lack of stream time at these majors.

I did not know that. If true, it would kind of explain the attitude I've seen towards it lately.

I wonder how much damage this may do to the scene though. Between the Apex-snubbing and Smash 4's release all happening around the same time I have to imagine the scene will shrink a little, or at least have its momentum of new players considerably decline. Very curious to see where PM goes in the future.

Revven

I did not know that. If true, it would kind of explain the attitude I've seen towards it lately.

I wonder how much damage this may do to the scene though. Between the Apex-snubbing and Smash 4's release all happening around the same time I have to imagine the scene will shrink a little, or at least have its momentum of new players considerably decline. Very curious to see where PM goes in the future.

It's slightly damaging but PM's going to have some pretty big majors after APEX from what I'm hearing.

Also, if you all want to watch both games you can use www.multitwitch.tv/vgbootcamp/vsgc

JoeInky

They'd drop it if a sequel was released that had anything they enjoyed about melee in it. There's no real reason to move on at the moment, if you pick up Smash 4 it feels like it's more akin to just playing two different fighting games rather than "moving on" so to speak.

For me Melee is still way more exciting to play and watch, Smash 4 doesn't even compare, the new characters aren't enough to make up for the gameplay for me.

Melee is just hype, there's no "Ay, Ay, Ay, Ay, Ay" moments in Smash 4 or anything like that. Nothing that really gets the crowd going.

E: Gimr time!

JoeInky

Are you kidding me? They don't have everything unlocked? lmao who's setup is that.

Before I switched back to the Melee stream I think I heard them mention it was new last night or something.

Which is plenty of time to unlock all of the characters and stages really, no excuse. It takes like an hour in Smash 4.

Before I switched back to the Melee stream I think I heard them mention it was new last night or something.

Which is plenty of time to unlock all of the characters and stages really, no excuse. It takes like an hour in Smash 4.

Unless they're, you know, finishing the set up on a giant tournament they have the next morning.

Give them a break, they have everything they need, and that little pop-up really doesn't hurt anybody.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
PM won't be streamed at all? Hopefully we at least get some top 32 recorded.

And daaamn Gimr going for gold there and missing.

JoeInky

Not sure what the hell is going on, and the commentators on the sm4sh stream are... bad.

And now we have Leffen easymoding with Diddy.

Leffen is trash tier so that's no surprise. :p

One of the Smash 4 commentators is new or something? I remember him mentioning it an saying something like don't hate or fuck the haters or some other stupid phrase about "haters".

Oh god, Leffen getting bodied by someone I've never heard of before.

He isn't good at Smash 4, I've beaten his Diddy to the point that he tried mirror matching me and lost.

Vena

One of the Smash 4 commentators is new or something? I remember him mentioning it an saying something like don't hate or fuck the haters or some other stupid phrase about "haters".

I want this Shiek to win but I don't think he well, too many easy mistakes against Leffen and his braindead Diddy play.

Nope. He lost, damn.

He isn't good at Smash 4, I've beaten his Diddy to the point that he tried mirror matching me and lost.

I don't think you could do that now if you played him offline :p

JoeInky

Yeah I just watched Leffen then, his Diddy doesn't look like anything special, definitely not on the level of the really high-tier Diddy players that I've been watching in Smash 4.

I couldn't beat him with Ganondorf
cuz tiers
but I could give him a run for his money with Ness still I'd reckon.

Revven

Just tuning in, did I miss anything good?

There were quite a few pool pop-offs, it was amazing -- one guy popped off early thinking the Sheik player was going to die but the Sheik recovered and edgeguarded the guy who was standing up already like the match was over LMAO. (This was in Melee, btw).

They'd drop it if a sequel was released that had anything they enjoyed about melee in it. There's no real reason to move on at the moment, if you pick up Smash 4 it feels like it's more akin to just playing two different fighting games rather than "moving on" so to speak.

For me Melee is still way more exciting to play and watch, Smash 4 doesn't even compare, the new characters aren't enough to make up for the gameplay for me.

Melee is just hype, there's no "Ay, Ay, Ay, Ay, Ay" moments in Smash 4 or anything like that. Nothing that really gets the crowd going.

E: Gimr time!

I find those moments a lot when me and my friends play.

Melee is definitely a tighter game, but I just enjoy playing Smash4 a lot more. My friends who have been competitively playing Tekken and Guilty Gear for a couple of years, said after an evening with Smash4 "It feels like a new game, there's so much I just enjoy about playing it".

Hopefully Smash4's community can grow and lose its label as "Smash Jr.".

Azure J

There were quite a few pool pop-offs, it was amazing -- one guy popped off early thinking the Sheik player was going to die but the Sheik recovered and edgeguarded the guy who was standing up already like the match was over LMAO. (This was in Melee, btw).

lmao, the first "what are you standing up for" in my recent memory of Melee streams and I miss it.

FZZ

Banned
People still saying Smash 4 isn't fun to watch ITT need to watch Xanadu sets. Christ it's like you watched the streams when they came out when the game was fucking 2 weeks old and never saw anything since then lol.

Anyways Axe hype.

JoeInky

People still saying Smash 4 isn't fun to watch ITT need to watch Xanadu sets. Christ it's like you watched the streams when they came out when the game was fucking 2 weeks old and never saw anything since then lol.

Anyways Axe hype.

I still watch them everytime they get put on youtube, it's better than release but it's nowhere near Melee for me.

Top Bottom