• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I am a repeat offender. ( AKA: I've bought 10 versions of the same game)

joe2187

Banned
How many of us are guilty of doing this? Do we do it out of support for the franchise/game/company? or do we do it out of some strange habit that cannot be explained.

Either way I've done this many many times, and even bought games on systems I dont even even own just to have the satisfaction of owning it.

I have a problem, and It's buying the same game over and over again with every new release.

Most notably the Resident Evil franchise has done this to me and I love to be their eager little masochistic plaything because it makes me feel good.

Here's how many copies of each RE game I own.

Resident Evil 1 - 2 copies, one physical, one digital
Resident Evil 2 - 3 copies, 2 physical (PS1, N64), one digital
Resident Evil 3 - 2 copies, 1 physical, one digital
Resident Evil Code Veronica - 4 copies, 2 physical (Dreamcast, PS2) 2 digital (PSN, XBL)
Resident Evil 4 - 6 copies, 3 physical (PS2, Gamecube, Wii) 3 Digital (PSN, XBL, PC)
Resident Evil 5 - 4 copies, 1 physical (Xbox360) 3 Digital (PSN, PC, Xbox360)
Resident Evil Revelaitons - 3 copies, 1 physical (3DS) and 2 digital (PC, PSN)
Resident Evil 6 - 3 copies 1 physical (Xbox360) 2 digital (PSN, PC)
Resident Evil HD Remake - 3 copies, 1 physical (PS3) 2 digital (PS4, PC)

As well as

Demons Souls - 3 copies 2 physical (NA-LE, EU-LE) 1 digital (PSN)
Dark Souls - 3 copies, 2 physical (PS3, Xbox360) 1 digital ( PC)
Dark Souls 2 - 3 copies 1 physical (xbox360) 2 digital (PSN, PC)
Bayonetta - 3 copies , 3 physical (Xbox360, PS3, WiiU)
Bayonetta 2 - 2 copies, 2 physical WiiU and EU climax book edition

Im not going to count fighting games in this otherwise the list would be ten times longer. Im looking at you Blazblue.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Yeah, that's really weird.

Edit: But it's a little more justifiable if there are legitimate differences between the versions you're buying. Which there are, in a fair number of those cases. Still can't understand why you'd buy Bayonetta on the PS3, though...

Jawmuncher

I buy multiples of Resident Evil and Metal Gear Solid games with no shame.
If there's a new version I buy it, regardless of what it includes.

We've all done this.

I bought Phantasy Star Online as....

1. Japanese DC Import
2. Domestic DC release
3. Episode 2 DC Japanese Import
4. Episode 2 DC Domestic release
5. Gamecube Domestic release
6. Xbox Domestic release
7. PC version.

Bought the same game (functionally) seven times... and have no regrets. Each let me play with different friends or enjoy the game in various ways at different points in my life.

I do this sometimes, but it usually because of laziness/extra content.

I own RE6 on Xbox 360, but I purchased the PC version because I wanted to give it another shot, and it was pretty cheap with all the DLC on Steam. I also have packed away my 360 and didn't want to hook it all up for another game.

I also bought Deadly Premonition on PS3 for the Director's Cut even though I already own the 360 version.

I'll double dip on occasion for some series but not for others. I've done it for RE, for MGS, for FF and for Mario games.

I never bought a game 3 times and do not intend to do so.

But yeah Joe, buying consoles just for another copy of the same game doesn't sound healthy.

I like owning the best versions of games that I can, so if they keep releasing new/better/more convenient versions then I will keep buying them.

I own FF7 on PS1 disc, PSone classic on PSN, PC, and I'll buy it again on PS4 for trophies.

I was going to say that I can't blame you for the awesome games you have listed, but then I saw RE CV, 5, 6, and Revelations.
:p
At least you don't have multiple copies of Zero.

Is there are reason you're buying several copies of a new game at launch like with REmaster? I can understand console+PC and new versions coming out over time, but yeah, getting multiples of the same generation of copies or even on the same system is odd.

Btw, I like your new avatar Jawmuncher.

I own like... 4 copies of Dark Souls. Original rented 360 copy, another 360 copy, PC version on release, bought a new key after GFWL stopped accepting it randomly.

Some of my favorite games I rebuy on virtual stores. PC ports and PSN/Virtual Console games. (I own a lot of copies of Mega Man X.)

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I bought Final Fantasy Xl like 8 times

3 copies for PS2
2 box copies on PC
Steam version
360 version
PS3 version (i think?)

2 copies of Metroid Prime GC and Wii
2 copies of Metroid Prime 2 GC and Wii

Thats as far as that goes.

EDIT: I lied

2 copies of Fallout 3 PS3 and PC

Honestly you should be ashamed that you bought three copies of Resident Evil 6.
I guess mine would be Kingdom Hearts and SMB3.

I own Demon's Souls three times and Dark twice, it's okay.

I also have a Phantasy Star collection, so expect me to own variations of the same game too many times.

Brizzo24

I bought Twilight Princess on the Wii and on the Gamecube. I played it entirely on the Wii for the 480p and widescreen display -- no regrets.

I only buy other versions, which is rare to begin with, if it's an HD remaster or remake.
  • Banjo-Kazooie
  • God of War Saga -- was gifted this
  • Wind Waker HD -- traded for a code

nusilver

I mean, there are a few games I've bought multiple times, but usually only Zelda and only if it's like, I got a digital review copy and need a physical one on the shelf (i.e. that Hyrule Warriors limited edition here in NYC), or with Majora's Mask where there's differences between the special editions around the world. Otherwise, no. I wouldn't consistently buy 3+ copies of a game, as you have.

joe2187

Banned
I'll double dip on occasion for some series but not for others. I've done it for RE, for MGS, for FF and for Mario games.

I never bought a game 3 times and do not intend to do so.

But yeah Joe, buying consoles just for another copy of the same game doesn't sound healthy.

With the exception of bayonetta 2 I never bought a console to play a single game. I never owned a Wii or a gamecube.

Springy

How many of us are guilty of doing this? Do we do it out of support for the franchise/game/company? or do we do it out of some strange habit that cannot be explained.

Either way I've done this many many times, and even bought games on systems I dont even even own just to have the satisfaction of owning it.

I have a problem, and It's buying the same game over and over again with every new release.

Most notably the Resident Evil franchise has done this to me and I love to be their eager little masochistic plaything because it makes me feel good.

Here's how many copies of each RE game I own.

Resident Evil 1 - 2 copies, one physical, one digital
Resident Evil 2 - 3 copies, 2 physical (PS1, N64), one digital
Resident Evil 3 - 2 copies, 1 physical, one digital
Resident Evil Code Veronica - 4 copies, 2 physical (Dreamcast, PS2) 2 digital (PSN, XBL)
Resident Evil 4 - 6 copies, 3 physical (PS2, Gamecube, Wii) 3 Digital (PSN, XBL, PC)
Resident Evil 5 - 4 copies, 1 physical (Xbox360) 3 Digital (PSN, PC, Xbox360)
Resident Evil Revelaitons - 3 copies, 1 physical (3DS) and 2 digital (PC, PSN)
Resident Evil 6 - 3 copies 1 physical (Xbox360) 2 digital (PSN, PC)
Resident Evil HD Remake - 3 copies, 1 physical (PS3) 2 digital (PS4, PC)

As well as

Demons Souls - 3 copies 2 physical (NA-LE, EU-LE) 1 digital (PSN)
Dark Souls - 4 copies, 2 physical (PS3, Xbox360) 2 digital (PSN, PC)
Dark Souls 2 - 3 copies 1 physical (xbox360) 2 digital (PSN, PC)
Bayonetta - 3 copies , 3 physical (Xbox360, PS3, WiiU)
Bayonetta 2 - 2 copies, 2 physical WiiU and EU climax book edition

Im not going to count fighting games in this otherwise the list would be ten times longer. Im looking at you Blazblue.

BROTHER

I have issues. If I like a game, I will keep buying it instead of buying something new to try. Most recently, Dead or Alive 5.

DoA5:
360 retail
360 digital
PS3 retail
PS3 digital (via PS+ sub, to be fair)

DoA5+
Vita digital

DoA5U
360 retail
360 digital
PS3 retail

DoA5LR
XB1 retail pre-order

Until NeoGAF I had never heard of the practice of double dipping. I mostly did it when my laptop was powerful enough that I could play console games on them. Wolfenstein, Spec Ops The Line, Alice Madness Returns, Rayman Origins.

Never more than twice though.

I just can't imagine why you bought three versions of REMake HD. It's not rare, or a physical version. That seems really weird.

Savitar

You think that Resident Evil collection is impressive?

You should see our resident RE expert who basically has nearly every version.

Harmen

I only have this with Metal Gear Solid to some degree.

I own MGS two times (original, PSN), MGS2 four times (original, platinum, substence, Legacy collection), MGS3 three times (original, substistence, Legacy) and 4 also three times (original, CE and Legacy).

And yet for some reason each time when I see a physical copy of one of those games I have the urge to buy one, lol (which I never do, though).

I do double dip for HD versions, remakes, director's cuts or GOTY editions once in a while, but only if the added content/improvements are significant.

Newboi

I've bought multiple copies of RE4 and Ninja Gaiden. Those are my most replayed games ever. If they announced Ninja Gaiden Black or Sigma for PC, I'd buy it in a heart beat lol. I'm not sure if I'll buy RE4 again since the Ultimate HD Edition is so utterly fantastic with the latest patches outside of a full Remake.

Cimarron

We've all done this.

I bought Phantasy Star Online as....

1. Japanese DC Import
2. Domestic DC release
3. Episode 2 DC Japanese Import
4. Episode 2 DC Domestic release
5. Gamecube Domestic release
6. Xbox Domestic release
7. PC version.

Bought the same game (functionally) seven times... and have no regrets. Each let me play with different friends or enjoy the game in various ways at different points in my life.

*fistbump* Me too bro. Me too.

Tambini

I have Super Mario World on Snes, GBA and Wii U virtual console

This is a weird one but I have Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets on PS1, PS2, PC, GBC, GBA and Gamecube. 6 different copies holy shit. Only the PS2 and Gamecube versions are the same out of those.

No idea why I've just acquired them over the years, they're all decent too.

_woLf

I think the most I've ever bought one game is probably Halo 1. I had two copies on Xbox, two on PC, the HD remake on 360, and then MCC.

I have close to 20 games where I have digital copies in addition b to physical. I also have some extra copies of games I got really cheap (less than $8).

There is no game I own three copies of until next week...

2 copies of Metroid Prime GC and Wii
2 copies of Metroid Prime 2 GC and Wii

Thats as far as that goes.

EDIT: I lied

2 copies of Fallout 3 PS3 and PC

I bought Metroid Prime 2 and 3 after I had Trilogy. I wanted to have all of the releases. Will buy it on the Eshop for $10 next week.

I've done this with Metal Gear Solid.

I just really like Metal Gear. I don't do this with any other series. (Possibly Zelda to a certain extent)

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Pretty sure I own Castle Crashers, Terraria, Spelunky and Trine on at least 3 different systems.

But with the exception of Castle Crashers, they're given out like candy.

FFIV is probably the winner: SNES US cart, PSX JP FF collection, GBA and DS.
FFVII - PSX JP an US versions (hilariously, I'm EU). Same with Xenogears and a few more.
Brutal Legend - X360, PS3, PC.
Quite a few HD rereleases, including Okami, DMC collection, Ico, etc.
I'm sure I'm missing quite a few more. Hard to keep track of everything...

Wardemon

Neo Member
My guilty pleasure are witcher,
Bought witcher 2 from every digital store that has it,
And already pre ordered it from
Amazon - collectors edition
Steam - normal ed,
GoG - preorder and i was pissed that they lowered the price because i had the first two there 😒

Taker34

Banned
I'm guilty. :p

Mass Effect - Xbox 360 digital, 360 JP version, DE version, 360 LE, Polish PC collectors Edition, PS3 digital, PC Steam, Origin (8 copies)
Mass Effect 2 - 360 physical, 360 LE, PS3 retail, PC Steam, Origin (5 copies)
Mass Effect 3 - 360 physical, 360 LE, PS3 LE, PS3 promo, IT limited alliance edition, PC Origin deluxe (6 copies)
Mass Effect Trilogy - PS3 physical EU version, PC retail (2 copies)

jmood88

I might buy a second copy of a game I already own if I'm going from last generation to next generation system or from console to pc (for mods) but I would never buy multiple copies of the same game for the same system. That makes no sense to me whatsoever. I would also never buy a game for a system I don't own, unless I'm planning on owning that system in the near future and there was a really good sale going on.

I think it's fine to buy a bunch of versions of the same game for collecting purposes. It might seem crazy to some, but if it makes you happy. I have Zelda 1 in pretty much every format released in NA.

I've bought like 10 versions of SMB1 and if I have to, I'll buy it again on the next gen VC too. Same goes for Castlevania IV. Some games I just want on everything.

I've tripple dipped on the ps2 GTA games.

PS2: III, VC, SA
PC: III, VC, SA
Android: III, VC, SA (admittedly these were free)
PS3: SA

Icefire1424

Done this a few times.

Company of Heroes 1: 2X - PC Physical / PC Digital (Steam)
Company of Heroes: 2X - Opposing Fronts: PC Physical / PC Digital (Steam)
Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor: PC Digital (Steam)

Doom: 2X - PC Physical / PC Digital (Steam)
Doom 2: 2X - PC Physical / PC Digital (Steam)

Duke Nukem 3D: 3X - PC Physical / PC Digital (GoG) / PC Digital (Steam)

Star Wars: Empire at War: 2X - PC Physical / PC Digital (Steam)

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I'm definitely guilty of this.

Some games I can't even remember how many times I've purchased. Mostly Capcom games (Fighters and Resident Evil) and Tecmo-Koei games. There were many too versions of DOA2, lol. Guilty Gear too.

Some examples off the top of my head:

SFII:

Street Fighter II SNES
Street Fighter II Gameboy
Street Fighter II Tiger LCD handheld (LOL)
Street Fighter II' Champion Edition PCE
Street Fighter II' Turbo SNES
Street Fighter II' Turbo XBL
Street Fighter II' SCE Genesis
Super Street Fighter II SNES
Super Street Fighter II Genesis
Super Street Fighter II Turbo 3D0
Super Street Fighter II Turbo GBA
Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix PSN
Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix XBL
Capcom Generations 5 (Street Fighter Collection 2)
Street Fighter Collection
Hyper Street Fighter II PS2
Street Fighter Anniversary Collection PS2
Street Fighter Anniversary Collection Xbox

I bet I'm forgetting an entry, too! Too much Street Fighter II!

SFA3:

Street Fighter Zero 3 PS1
Street Fighter Alpha 3 PS1
Street Fighter Zero 3 Saturn
Street Fighter Zero 3 Dreamcast
Street Fighter Zero 3 Upper GBA
Street Fighter Alpha 3 GBA
Street Fighter Zero Fighters '​ Generation PS2

SF4:

Street Fighter IV 360 JPN
Street Fighter IV PS3 USA
Street Fighter IV PC
Street Fighter IV iOS
Street Fighter IV Volt iOS
Super Street Fighter IV CE 360 JPN
Super Street Fighter IV PS3 USA
Super Street Fighter IV PC
Super Street Fighter IV 3D 3DS (Cart)
Super Street Fighter IV 3D 3DS (Digital)
Super Street Fighter IV 3D 3DS (Digital) JPN
Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition (Digital) 360
Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition (Digital) PS3
Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition PC
Ultra Street Fighter IV PS3
Ultra Street Fighter IV PC
And I will be getting Ultra on PS4.

DOA2:

Dead Or Alive 2 Dreamcast USA
Dead Or Alive 2 Dreamcast JPN
Dead Or Alive 2 PS2 JPN
Dead Or Alive 2 Hard*Core PS2 JPN
Dead Or Alive 2 Ultimate Xbox

joe2187

Banned
You think that Resident Evil collection is impressive?

You should see our resident RE expert who basically has nearly every version.

Im not trying to brag, it's just when it comes to RE I have no self control...I cant help it.

I was hoping you really bought 10 versions of the same game.

Well there's still 4 more versions of RE4 I've yet to own. I dont think the Zeebo exists anymore though.

kierwynn

I buy and play every version of every FF game brought out here except mobile versions. I think the one I've bought the most number of times is FF4 (so... 6 times I think? SNES, PS1, GBA, DS, PSP, PC I think are all there have been) and I've played them all but the PC one (which I am planning to play soon).

Vice

Super SF4, AE and Ultra on ps3, 360 and PC. At least once each. 2 SSFIV disks on 360. So 10 times for the same basic game. I 'm going to buy the ps4 version in a few months.

...Sometimes I buy remakes, I guess.

I own Super Mario Bros. on SNES (All-Stars), GBC (Deluxe), Wii (Virtual Console, 5€) and 3DS (free).

Top Bottom