• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Operation 422: A Renewed Campaign to Bring Valkyria Chronicles 3 to the West

1e6d7f8a8e.png

Foreword: Thanks to Durante and other members of the GAF community in their support of me organizing this. Also, shoutout to Grief.exe and TaroYamada for the #SegaPCPorts campaign. The groundwork for this would simply not exist without the recent PC release of Valkyria Chronicles. Oh and, before you read any more of this, go buy Valkyria Chronicles on Steam if you have not yet. Now. There's a 50% off sale on GreenManGaming if you are so inclined.

2010: Valkyria Chronicles 2 comes out. It fails commercially, and not long after, Sega officially pulls support for the PSP in western markets.

2011: Valkyria Chronicles 3 releases in Japan, Sega quickly reaffirms that PSP games are off the table for western release.

2014: Valkyria Chronicles 1 is rereleased on PC, to resounding success and acknowledgement by Sega of vastly outperforming expectations and competition on Steam.

Our Manifesto:

Operation 422 is a renewed campaign to encourage Sega to bring Valkyria Chronicles 3 to western markets - No matter the platform. You may have looked at older campaigns, like the ill-fated Gallian Liberation Front and came to the conclusion that this is a lost cause. It isn't. 2011 presented a very different environment compared to 2015 - Namely, it had just been going off of the embarassment of Valkyria Chronicles 2, which naturally doomed the third game at the time.

But now, we have the massive success of Valkyria Chronicles PC to work with, as well as an ongoing JRPG boom on PC, from Dark Souls, to Agarest, to of course Valkyria Chronicles. The soil here is fertile and growing, as opposed to what the PSP in 2011 was - Like Chernobyl - Interesting to explore, not a good place to invest in. With the Steam release of Valkyria Chronicles, new gamers have been introduced to the series, have became fans, and naturally want more. Valkyria Chronicles 3 localization would serve two groups with one plate; Old fans longing for the third game, and new fans hungry for more content.

We are not asking for a fullblown remake, premium remastering, or whole new game. We are asking for a localization and western release on any non-PSP platform. PS4... 3DS... Or for obvious reasons, PC. The great reactions to the PC release of Valkyria Chronicles in the PC Gaming Community and internally at Sega proved that the series has a future in the west, and now is the time to capitalize on that future. There are two roads that can be taken here - Sit content with the results of Valkyria Chronicles PC and let the series once more drift into the abyss, or act on the opportunity it has created and restore the IP to its deserved glory and amend the sour note left by Valkyria Chronicles 3's absence in western markets.

Altaha Abilia 422.

The Campaign:

This is a specifically targetted campaign laser focused solely on Valkyria Chronicles 3 alone, much like how this campaign's namesake of Operation Rainfall focused down on the Big 3 Wii RPGs. As much as many others and I would love for many other Sega games to see western release, generalist campaigns like Segalization fell flat on their face and ultimately lacked the necessary focus to do anything. No other game in Sega's Japan-only library has the unique circumstances going for it that this game does, and therefore we must capitalize on this one in particular.

Much like the original Sega PC Ports campaign which is presumed to have convinced Sega to bring the first game to PC, we're going straight to Twitter. Get on Twitter and post anything to @Sega with the #Operation422 hashtag along the lines of this.

@Sega Bring Valkyria Chronicles 3 to western markets and finish what was started by the PC release of Valkyria Chronicles! #Operation422

Likewise, remember to hit up @GioCorsi with the #BuildingTheList hashtag, as well as the #Operation422 tag as well – It has been said many times by now that #BuildingTheList was a major part of what lead to the localization of Tales of Hearts R, as well as the incoming localizations of Type-0 and Yakuza 5 – We would be stupid not to try and bring Valkyria Chronicles 3 through this initiative as well.

And of course, get into contact with the gaming press. Movements like these live and die by press coverage. Let us not act like we are any different.

The first season of this campaign I would like to dub "March to E3". It is important that we entertain the possibility that a Valkyria Chronicles 3 localization is already happening. Key work "Entertain" – We cannot surrender ourselves to presuming that Valkyria Chronicles 3 localization work started right away on the heels of Sega's acknowledgement of the first game's PC success. Ideally, this part of the campaign is to encourage Sega to unveil a localization in the works at E3 if one already is being worked on. Realistically, if one is not being made already it will not get an E3 showing – We're simply too close to E3 for production to begin and get far enough to warrant any E3 exposure. However, at this point we do find ourselves to be within the ballpark of PlayStation Experience 2015 being 9 months away. It is important that we treat this as a Long-Term campaign like YakuzaFan's campaign for Yakuza 5 localization was. These things don't happen overnight, and I hope everyone involved can understand that as they support this campaign.

You may notice that I have not mentioned anything like Change.org petitions or anything of that sort. Why not? This is a campaign, not a simpleminded petition. A petition will only make us look like an ass and has been for the most part been an endeavor frowned upon by the gaming press, as well as here on GAF by the moderators and a significant portion of members. For the most part, a petition will be nothing more than a meaningless number, while a proper social media campaign via Twitter, Facebook, and Sega's forums is much more visible and much more alive than the sterile environment of a petition. Unless there is massive support for a petition to be put up, or Sega's acknowledgement asking for a petition and X number Ala what happened with Dark Souls PC, I am against going with the petition format for this.

Also, join our Steam group! This will provide an effective way to get out updates on the campaign to all involved, and also pits our movement as desiring a PC version as well.

I was going to include a little footnote on how many here would want Valkyria Chronicles Duel as well, somethingsomethingChain ChroniclesomethingsomethingFanserviceMarketInTheWest – But it just came to my attention that Duel is being shut down down barely 12 days from now. RIP you magnificent, perverted game that people judged to be the death of VC. It was going to be a little stinger-joke, now it's a eulogy. /21GunSalute

If I shall begin...

b6c9b5f547.png

46ef2c89cc.png

Steel

Banned
You have my vote.

Is it bad that I want VC2 on steam before VC3.
I don't want to jump sequels. Regardles you have my support.

Val Chron 2 isn't directly related to 1 beyond cameos. And Val Chron 2 was actually translated and there's PPSSPP, so(Though I suppose there's a fan translation of 3 as well)...

Valkyria Chronicles 2 is the reason that we have to campaign for Valkyria Chronicles 3 in the first place. It was Bad, and pretty much everyone avoided it like the plague.

Trust me, you don't want Valkyria Chronicles 2.

Steel

Banned
Valkyria Chronicles 2 is the reason that we have to campaign for Valkyria Chronicles 3 in the first place. It was Bad, and pretty much everyone avoided it like the plague.

Eh, I liked how it played, and having it on the PSP was amazing. Story was trash, though.

koutoru

In all likelihood they'll put Valkyria Chronicles 2 on Steam first before bothering to translate 3.
Hopefully, they'll all be on Steam eventually.

joe2187

Banned

VC2 is the fucking worst. I put over 200 hours into. It was fucking godawful

Avans laugh is pure torture and it's repeated every 3 seconds.

VC2 is the fucking worst. I put over 200 hours into. It was fucking godawful

Avans laugh is pure torture and it's repeated every 3 seconds.

No man, AvanLaugh.wav is the best part of Valkyria Chronicles 2

I used to do a certain gimmick as part of my Twitch streams where I would roll some dice, and if it rolled a certain way - One straight minute of the AvanLaugh at full volume for everyone watching to hear. Granted, it was among several other gimmicks for several other rolls, but w/e.

joe2187

Banned
He-he-he-ha-ha-ha-ha!

But it still played well(I mean you put 200 hours into it).

I was young. I didnt know any better. The missions and the gameplay were solid and the class customization was nice. But everything that wasnt gameplay irritated the hell out of me. It was filled to the brim with the most generic of all anime garbage tropes, in every fucking scene and character.

I was young. I didnt know any better. The missions and the gameplay were solid and the class customization was nice. But everything that wasnt gameplay irritated the hell out of me. It was filled to the brim with the most generic of all anime garbage tropes, in every fucking scene and character.

Well, you'll love the third game then - It is a vast improvement over Valkyria Chronicles 2's gameplay, and with a story that isn't complete otaku garbage.

Fisty

I think the only way SEGA would do this is if theres a clear path to profit, and thats only possible with a Valkyria Chronicles collection at this point. Port all three as a single package to PS4 and PC, possibly X1 and Vita as well.

I would pay $40 for that, possibly on both PS4 and Vita.

Begaria

Valkyria Chronicles 3 is a great game - played through it with the fan translation (even if it's a little wonky). The final boss battle is a bit bullshit though.

Tizoc

I'd be fine with a port on Steam =X
iN FACt even if they skip VC2 and go to this, they can always add a subtitle to the game.

Heck Fable 2 isn't on Steam correct? 1 and 3 are, so that can always work with this game.

I'll hit up GioCorsi and see what happens.

Good luck on this campaign though =3

joe2187

Banned
Well, you'll love the third game then - It is a vast improvement over Valkyria Chronicles 2's gameplay, and with a story that isn't complete otaku garbage.

Yeah I've heard good things about VC3 and was always irritated that SEGA never published VC3 in the west (despite being burned by VC2's terribleness)

I know there is a fan translated version out there and can be emulated and whatnot, but Id rather support the actual franchise.

cj_iwakura

I hope it happens, but the fact that any die-hard fans have almost certainly played the fan translation might weaken the outpouring of support.

Nonetheless, best of luck.

Could always use a little more Valkyria in my life.

In particular, one of my friends really loved playing through the first game on PC with their boyfriend. They have the portable PlayStations, but they'd love it even more if VC3 was on Steam in some form.

Sent the tweets, joined ze groups. Let's get this rolling!

Shengar

Regarding the number of the series, they could easilu chabged to Valkyria Chronicles: The Lost Ops or something like that so (hopefully) PC release can avoid skipping number.

I hope it happens, but the fact that any die-hard fans have almost certainly played the fan translation might weaken the outpouring of support.

Nonetheless, best of luck.

The fan translation is to this day incomplete though, with a few major sidequest lines untranslated, as well as the DLC. There are numerous bugs with the text that crop up often, and it requires the Extra Edition rerelease of the game. That and, a few of the translators weren't working off of the original Japanese script, but from an existing Chinese fan translation.

It's not the optimal way for Valkyria Chronicles 3 to be experienced in the west, not when a proper localization could do so much more, and with better exposure as a result of being through official channels.

Steel

Banned
Regarding the number of the series, they could easilu chabged to Valkyria Chronicles: The Lost Ops or something like that so (hopefully) PC release can avoid skipping number.

But they already localized Val chron 2, so the west would have had all three by this point.

Calling Adam Boyes. Adam Boyes pls.

If they somehow got Yakuza 5 anything is possible, even Valkyria Chronicles 3

That was a major motivation behind this as well. If Yakuza 5 can get a localization despite being an IP that had already been presumed to have burnt its second chance for localizations, Valkyria Chronicles 3 has more than a shot with the success of Valkyria Chronicles PC.

18-Volt

Yeah, I'm in for a HD remaster for PS4 and Vita with trophies.

There are a lot of things I need SEGA to localize but, yes, VC3 is the most important one. Others are Phantasy Star Nova, Shining Resonance, Yakuza 0 and HD colleciton.

Now remember, this isn't necessarily a PC port campaign - This is a campaign to get Valkyria Chronicles 3 localized, no matter what platform it ends up on. A port to something is a necessity, yes, but this is not PC Or Die. That is why I must emphasise getting onboard #BuildingTheList

I really thought this was a franchise going forward after playing Valkyria Chronicles. It was the only game I went back to and finish 100% on every mission, find every secret story dialog etc...Not chasing trophies or anything, (I don't think there was one at that time) it was just pure amazing.

Was so disappointing the series didn't expand into an JRPG franchise for Playstation.

I really thought this was a franchise going forward after playing Valkyria Chronicles. It was the only game I went back to and finish 100% on every mission, find every secret story dialog etc...Not chasing trophies or anything, (I don't think there was one at that time) it was just pure amazing.

Was so disappointing the series didn't expand into an JRPG franchise for Playstation.

That was the problem, it was a PS3 game in an era when the PS3 was an embarrassing flop. It was kneecapped by the PS3's poor install base in 2008, what's worse, the game was originally slated to be a multiplat before narrowing down on PS3.

That was the problem, it was a PS3 game in an era when the PS3 was an embarrassing flop. It was kneecapped by the PS3's poor install base in 2008, what's worse, the game was originally slated to be a multiplat before narrowing down on PS3.
What? I've never heard that before.

My god, imagine where the franchise could be now if they'd only released it on both 360 and PS3.

I definitely support this and would buy it on any system I own. Playing through the fan translation now and it is rough, to say the least. I appreciate the hell out of it though, make no mistake. Although shouldn't we be focused on some platforms? You make the argument that generalized movements fail pretty hard, and I agree. Shouldn't that be further motivation to really nail down some platforms? Say PS4/Xbone/PC?

I definitely support this and would buy it on any system I own. Playing through the fan translation now and it is rough, to say the least. I appreciate the hell out of it though, make no mistake. Although shouldn't we be focused on some platforms? You make the argument that generalized movements fail pretty hard, and I agree. Shouldn't that be further motivation to really nail down some platforms? Say PS4/Xbone/PC?

Honestly, if we have to nail down a platform, then I am all for PC and/or PS4. JRPGs have never done well on Xbox, not worth the effort. PS4 respects the franchise's history, and PC gets in on all that Steam JRPG dosh.

TheChaos0

It was a great game with a campy first half of the game in otherwise a fine story. It just was such a departure from VC1.

They were such morons to take this series off console and move it to handheld.

I hope they realize their mistake and make the next game for PS4, now that its sales are so fantastic.

Tweeted and joined the group. I'd love for a well-timed release of a VC3 PC version this once, as I don't believe VC outselling Unity is going to establish a pattern yet. Subtitle it differently to avoid sequel confusion, get a Western dub in the pipeline to avoid seiyuu costs, and, like before, give Little Foot the workload so they can get further recognition for performance optimization and timely patching. I hope SEGA of Europe still has the pull necessary to make this happen; maybe we could push for Gamescom instead, knowing that E3's more likely to feature SEGA of America?

VC2 could happen if VC3 makes it to PC, but I'm sure a divided fan consensus would prevent it from selling as strongly as the other two.

If VC3 comes to the West, it needs to be back on console where it actually has a chance of decent sales. But regardless of that, considering all the recent news about Sega, I don't know how successful this campaign would currently be.

Merc_

It's not going to happen. Sega has enough problems without wasting money on a game that would be doomed to failure.

18-Volt

They were such morons to take this series off console and move it to handheld.

I hope they realize their mistake and make the next game for PS4, now that its sales are so fantastic.

How is that a moronic decision? PSP was a beast in Japan at the time game released.

Home consoles are the dying breed in Japan, it's handheld/mobile country now. If there's gonna be a Valkyrie Chronicles 4, you bet it's gonna be on Vita or mobiles first. Maybe they'll eventually port it to PS4.

Linkark07

Banned
Ok, did my part. Will buy it, regardless it it is the PSP version or if Sega decides to port it to PC, Vita or a console.

Hopefully we can get Sega's attention. Really want to play this one.

Top Bottom