• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The playlist recommendation thread for Spotify on PS4

oTwbxij.png

The launch of the Spotify app on the PS4 presents a very convenient way of implementing custom OST. Unlike importing your owned songs / playlists to the PS4 via USB, Spotify lets you navigate a vast database right on your OS, even if your game is running.

For many gamers like myself, this can feel a tad overwhelming, so we thought a thread like this might help many discover the right tune for the right game.

Finding a playlist:

Go to the web version of Spotify ---> Search ---> Type the name of the playlist --->Copy and paste URL.

Saving the playlist for easy access on PS4:

Click on "Follow" on the playlist's page, then you'll find it under "My Music" within Spotify on PS4.

Post format:

The Playlist's name
Playlist's URL
Recommended game / genre

To get us started, here's a playlist recommended by Gaffer Noisepurge, which he describes as "pretty much an extended Hotline Miami soundtrack"

NeuDisco - French Electro and Co.
https://play.spotify.com/user/malakaei/playlist/5gZW4WSpROILFTQIx0qz76
Fast paced action games

Will add more info to OP if needed, have fun.

For general info and discution points on Spotify for PS4, please go to the original thread.

hesido

I was playing Rouge Legacy and spotify stopped the music after a while, 4-5 songs maybe. Is it a limitation of the non-premium membership or a bug, or have I accidentally hit a wrong button?

I was playing Rouge Legacy and spotify stopped the music after a while, 4-5 songs maybe. Is it a limitation of the non-premium membership or a bug, or have I accidentally hit a wrong button?

If you're on a free membership, it plays an ad every few songs, but it shouldn't stop outright. Did you hold the PS button and see the current/last song visible at the top?

Subscribed and will add a hip hop playlist of old classic eastcoast rap from the 90s for those who are interested. I want to make a all Wu Tang playlist as my first.

hesido

If you're on a free membership, it plays an ad every few songs, but it shouldn't stop outright. Did you hold the PS button and see the current/last song visible at the top?

Nice to know it was just an anomaly.

After the song stopped, I went to Spotify in the main menu while the game was on, and it said it needed to close Rouge Legacy to start, so I skipped on that, thought it shut itself down. After a while I pressed the PS button shortly and saw the music was paused and music continued. The thing is it paused by itself while I was playing, and at that time I didn't check with the short PS button so I assumed it paused songs after a while before you could continue.

Maybe there was a bug, maybe there was a connection problem which I would notice if I had checked right at that time.

The Playlist's name: Fallout 3 + NV + Conelrad MOD
Playlist's URL: https://play.spotify.com/user/christopher_a/playlist/7mR9OQTA1xns0xL5LQ9Tr6
Recommended game / genre: Waiting for Fallout 4/Post-apocalyptic genre

The Playlist's name: Battlefield Vietnam
Playlist's URL: :https://open.spotify.com/user/carcheky/playlist/3F7MOUKWKptaWK2m7OqATF
Recommended game / genre: Battlefield 4

The Playlist's name:Chuck vs the Music
Playlist's URL: : https://open.spotify.com/user/likeinmydream/playlist/4YzGIpfsKljKWvG62ZyR9b
Recommended game / genre: Surgeon Simulator

The Playlist's name:Red Dead Redemption OST
Playlist's URL: :https://open.spotify.com/album/22H5XKyHXkxHbty4jtBibg
Recommended game / genre: GTA V countryside

Oh man, talk about setting the mood. Some of the songs are no longer available, but there's some gold in there.

I have not updated it in a while. The songs might be available on other albums on Spotify. If you find alternative albums you can post a link to them so I can update the playlist. I might take a look at it over easter.

Just to be sure, you cannot upload your own mp3 on the PS4 Spotify app right ?

On PCs and iOS devices you can use locally stored music in Spotify. If it is not available on PS4 it probably will be in the future. i e you dont upload music, Spotify uses the files on the device if they are not available in the service.

Unlike Music Unlimited, you can't go back into the Spotify app to change the playlist while you playing a game. What's up with that?

Unlike Music Unlimited, you can't go back into the Spotify app to change the playlist while you playing a game. What's up with that?

Yes you can, or at least I could yesterday. Go into the OS, access Spotify, and change the playlist from there. Then get back into the OS and load the game up.

No. It wants to close your game down to go into the Spotify app.

Yeah that doesn't sound easy.

Seriouisly?

Just download the app on your phone, turn off Spotify on the PS4, then start it up again on the PS4. Your phone app will recognize the PS4, and then you can control the playlist and whatnot from your phone and it will play on your PS4 automatically.

So you are then able to navigate the entire spotify application without having to leave your game at all.

If you hold the Playstation button down on the controller, you can at least change songs on spotify direct from that area. And can also change the volume of the spotify music, if you want to balance it with game sounds more.

Top Bottom