• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MVG Sandstorm | Super Smash Bros. Tournament | April 18-19th

Revven

1374939_881910098527994_390022044808872361_n.jpg

MVG Sandstorm is a tournament held in Tempe, Arizona. It is looking very promising with a turnout of 5 of the 6 Gods of Melee to attend. It shouldn't be a tournament to miss.

Featured Games

Brackets:

Melee Singles
Melee Doubles

Smash 4 Singles
Smash 4 Doubles

Project M Singles
Project M Doubles

Pools:

Melee: http://www.mvgsandstorm.com/melee-pools.html

Smash 4: http://www.mvgsandstorm.com/smash-4-pools.html

PM: http://www.mvgsandstorm.com/pm-pools.html

Will update with brackets when pools are wrapped up (if brackets are uploaded, anyway).

Number of entrants

Melee singles: 231
Smash 4 singles: 153
Project M singles: 116

Streams

Main stream: www.twitch.tv/mvg_league
Secondary stream: www.twitch.tv/azprojectmelee (Project M stream basically)
Third stream: www.twitch.tv/mew2king (Smash 4 stream)

Not sure if there is a third stream, will update if there is.

Stream Schedule

Click here

Notable Players (across all games)
[A]rmada
C9 Mang0
Liquid Hungrybox
TSM | Leffen
COG MVG | Mew2King
MVG | Axe
MVG | Tai
MVG | Medz
MVG | SFA SS
FX DFW | Wobbles
ZeRo
Forward
PC Chris
Liquid Ken
S2J
MacD
HugS
Gahtzu
HF Neon
K9
Nairo
NME Xzax

...and many more!

notable players by game, scanning the lists:

Melee
Armada
Axe
Mango
Gahtzu
Forward (is he even good any more?)
Wobbles
HugS
Kira
Hungrybox
Ken is still washed up
MacD
M2K
Tai
PC Chris
S2J
Leffen
Westballz

Smash 4
MVD
K9
M2K
Nairo
Xzax
Leffen...? (lol)
ZeRo

Project M
iPunchKidsz (jank name)
Axe
Hungrybox
Medz
Westballz

....someone else can fill in the PM section better than I can

Azure J

Totally in for this. I got so distracted last weekend during INY. I never got to chill and chat with SmashMonsterGAF.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Gahtzu with the traveling. That guy goes everywhere. Kind of surprised he wasn't at INY.

Not sure if I am going to get to watch, probably going to my local tomorrow (and I almost never get to go!) and won't get to see pools, and I work Sunday. Looks like an awesome tournament though.

xezuru

Don't know if there's any more Major Project M players comin on down; lookin forward to Melee players complaining again Kappa.

Tripon

ZeRo has won every Smash 4 tournament he entered. Including the E3 invitational. He hasn't lost in 10 months.

Revven

woah a tourney with project m in 2015? crazy world

Yeah, there's a reason for why PM's being excluded from a ton of major tourneys: sponsors (quite a lot of them) don't want to be anywhere near PM now for whatever reason. So a TO has to decide between whether they want certain sponsors or ax PM. In most cases, the TO will choose the sponsors because it helps them get setups for Smash 4 or just general funding for the tournament (whether that's venue or something else). And sometimes it is a logistical issue where the TO doesn't want to run 3 games and rather choose the new game to be with Melee (in this case, Smash 4). Usually you can tell what the problem is if the TO doesn't comment about why PM isn't going to be at their event.

It's a huge shame but I somewhat expected this would happen eventually... but back in 2012 I didn't expect Smash to take off so much in 2013 -- I always thought the community would remain grassroots because of how little exposure it had and as a result PM would be fine to have tournaments. That was until... well... the documentary and EVO 2013 lol.

I got 2 friends who believe they're hot shit in Smash so I let them know about this a couple months ago. So I'm rooting for them both to succeed and fail. (On stream so I can watch haha)

Glad AZ is getting some tournaments after the train wreck Devastation was.

Who else thought this was a MGSV environment trailer or something? O, just me. I'll back out.

Good luck at the tourney guys!

CronoShot

It will be interesting to see how the Smash 4 patch changes things. Zero has already said he's sticking with Diddy, dunno what M2K is gonna do.

Moonlight

Banned
In it for all three. Was pretty bummed to miss out on INY because of work, but this weekend is gonna be clear. :D

Does ZeRo stream? Never seen any of his gameplays before. Nairo is god tier, he's so good. Can't wait to watch this weekend.
ZeRo is probably the uncontested best player in the world right now. I mean, not that I know too much about the Japanese scene besides Nietono, aMSa, and Abadango.

I find Nairo a much more entertaining player to watch, though.

It will be interesting to see how the Smash 4 patch changes things. Zero has already said he's sticking with Diddy, dunno what M2K is gonna do.
I was there on the patch debut stream to see M2K talk about how much this patch destroyed Diddy, I don't think he'll be going with him. If I had to say, the smart money is that he switches to Sonic.

In it for all three. Was pretty bummed to miss out on INY because of work, but this weekend is gonna be clear. :D

ZeRo is probably the uncontested best player in the world right now. I mean, not that I know too much about the Japanese scene besides Nietono, aMSa, and Abadango.

I find Nairo a much more entertaining player to watch, though.

I was there on the patch debut stream to see M2K talk about how much this patch destroyed Diddy, I don't think he'll be going with him. If I had to say, the smart money is that he switches to Sonic.

classic M2K overreaction

Japan sent a majority of their best players to Apex, and Nietono did make it out to winners semis....just to go 0-2 (also since they don't use customs, they'll be more behind now)

Why is Mewtwo banned?
1. Limited release. He's only available to those with codes from registering both versions of Smash.

2. Sandstorm is a pretty big tournament and he's only been available for a short amount of time. Not enough for everyone to get acclimated.

El Sloth

Banned
1. Limited release. He's only available to those with codes from registering both versions of Smash.

2. Sandstorm is a pretty big tournament and he's only been available for a short amount of time. Not enough for everyone to get acclimated.
Ahh. The first reason seems really reasonable. Hadn't known that about his release actually.

That second reason strikes me as bunk though. Assuming we were in an alternate universe where the 1st reason wasn't a thing: I think any player who has managed to grind out with a recently released character, that's available to all players, to the point that they feel they can compete in a tournament with their week 1(or however long) character should be allowed to rock out.

Ahh. The first reason seems really reasonable. Hadn't known that about his release actually.

That second reason strikes me as bunk though. Assuming we were in an alternate universe where the 1st reason wasn't a thing: I think any player who has managed to grind out with a recently released character, that's available to all players, to the point that they feel they can compete in a tournament with their week 1(or however long) character should be allowed to rock out.
It does state in the rules that if both players agree that one can use Mewtwo then he can be used.

El Sloth

Banned
It does state in the rules that if both players agree that one can use Mewtwo then he can be used.
Eh, it still strikes me as pretty lame that someone would even need their opponents permission to play their own character in the first place. Rubs me the wrong way. Am I being unreasonable?

Top Bottom