• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 downgrade arguments in here and nowhere else

Status
Not open for further replies.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Man, new model of Geralt looks way different now!

kscjwq.jpg

:D

Yoo, didn't know Chinner got the lead role in Witcher 3

Edit: Watching Giant Bomb footage, that title screen music sure is something. Sogood. Xbone version looks great too. Can't really go wrong on which console you get this game on it seems.

Bytes

Its so fucking sad that there is 108 pages of this downgrade nonsense.

Developers spend years making a beautiful game and all people can do is bitch.

So we're not allowed to voice our disappointment that the game used to look much better but got massively downgraded for closer parity to consoles?

Okay then.

I'm not allowed to voice an opinion?
Game looks freaking beautiful.
Voicing an opinion that's within the context of thread whining, is a fast way to get yourself in trouble. There were plenty of ways to say the game looks good without complaining about the thread, which by the way, has some legitimate beef.

finalflame

Wow, I've been following this thread and the changes from announcement to release is just unbelievable. The shit part is the PC version didn't need to suffer. Glad I got this game for free with my 980.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Disagreeing with the content of the thread and voicing that disagreement is qualification for a ban now? Good god. You can think his stance has no merit but far be it from anyone to deprive him of the right to express it.

This thread is specifically for talk about the graphics that annoyed people in the other threads. If it annoys him so he shouldn't even bother reading this thread. It's the sanctuary of us crazies :). But eh, this is starting to sound like backseat modding and that's frowned upon as well :lol. So let's get back on track!

How about them graphics?

Edit: Odd, watching Xbone footage from GiantBomb the loadtimes when you die are roughly 30 seconds, a whole minute shorter than the PS4 footage. Weird.

Really can tell the advantages of PBR here versus Witcher 2. I am happy with the graphical improvement. It is super obvious to me. Coupled with the massive size of the world, it is almost W1>W2 level. (well not quite, W1 was super ugly)

Yes. You can notice that of the sword handle in the second pic where the metal is reflecting the scene.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Oh my god. My 7970 GHz just shed a tear of happiness.

Oh my god indeed. A 280X is enough for ultra? :D Hot damn! Let's hope my FX6300 won't bottleneck too much. But reports of the game not being that CPU intensive makes me feel good. A locked 30 seems like a really safe bet at least.

GeekMarty

Yes. You can notice that of the sword handle in the second pic where the metal is reflecting the scene.

PBR is not only medal (it's everything if you want to use it, see Star Citizen). Just look at the cloth, especially visible in the second shot, where light falls on it.

PBR is one of THE graphical leaps in recent years for me (if the devs make use of it that is). PBR cloth was also very beautiful in ACU btw.

PBR is not only medal (it's everything if you want to use it, see Star Citizen). Just look at the cloth, especially visible in the second shot, where light falls on it.

PBR is one of THE graphical leaps in recent years for me (if the devs make use of it that is). PBR cloth was also very beautiful in ACU btw.

I know. I was just giving an example that is all.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So do what's the verdict? PS4 or X1? I don't mind picking it up for either system.

Thanks

PS4. The X1 version may have the advantage when it comes to performance owing to the console's oh-so-slightly higher CPU clockspeed, but the difference, if it exists at all, isn't going to be anything worth writing home about.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
For their next game Cyberpunk 2077, hopefully CDPR learn from all of this and not show a vertical slice like the Witcher 2013 trailer.

and if Cyberpunk is open world, they might want to from their own Red engine 3 to UE4 or something since Witcher 3 seems to use zones/areas instead of one world (engine limitations?) that with the downgrade from 2013 might mean their engine is not good enough.

Genio88

They should have add a way to turn off all the HUD by just pressing a button, like AC Unity did, that's pretty good when you want to take a screenshot, i hope a someone will add this on PC

For their next game Cyberpunk 2077, hopefully CDPR learn from all of this and not show a vertical slice like the Witcher 2013 trailer.

and if Cyberpunk is open world, they might want to from their own Red engine 3 to UE4 or something since Witcher 3 seems to use zones/areas instead of one world (engine limitations?) that with the downgrade from 2013 might mean their engine is not good enough.

The zoning in TW3 is due to geography, not due to engine limitations.
Sorry for my ignorance, but are you implying that a 7970 GHz is comparable to a 280x? I have the same card and I am curious.

They are basically the exact same thing.

Xyber

They should have add a way to turn off all the HUD by just pressing a button, like AC Unity did, that's pretty good when you want to take a screenshot, i hope a someone will add this on PC

They had that in TW2, so it might be in this one as well. If not, they could probably patch it in quickly if people bugged them about it. :p

Genio88

7970 is a great card, and overclock pretty well, i had one before the r9 290 and the last arrived gtx 980. And indeed the 280x is just a rebrand of that card, perhaps the 7970ghz edition is just slightly faster thanks to the higher stock clock speed 1020mhz i guess, but you can pretty easily reach that clock on a 280x

Tovarisc

Didn't they say that teaser they released for CB2077 is what they want game to look like graphically when they release it?

Also like mentioned it's geographical reason why Witcher 3 is split into different zones, they didn't want so scale geography of continent down so everything would be within single zone. I also think/remember reading that they created RedEngine because there was no engine out out there doing what they wanted/needed. I don't see them dropping RedEngine any time soon.

The Cowboy

It's not only comparable. This is the exact SAME gpu. It's just rebranded behind the R9 2XX brand.

Yep, you can even flash a 7970ghz edition bios onto an R9 280x (1 of my bios's is the 280x version and the other is a 7970ghz version), most 7970ghz editions have 1000mhz core (hence ghz edition) with a boost of 1050mhz, and most R9 280x's have a core of 1000mhz and a boost of 1050mhz (mine is 1000/1100mhz) - and heck a lot of R9 280x cards even say 7970ghz on the circuit board (or have a sticker covering it).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom