• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #168 - "Fold"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Theme - "Fold"

Word Limit: 2200

Submission Deadline: Friday, June 19 by 11:59 PM Pacific.

Voting begins Saturday, June 20, and goes until Monday, June 22 at 11:59 PM Pacific.

Optional Secondary Objective: Alliteration
Really, alliteration is all about wonderful word choices - changing that which was once a simple sentence into pure poetry.
It doesn't suit every story, but with the perfect piece it can create a nice nod to your readers (and force fretting over which word to put in which place.)

Submission Guidelines:

- One entry per poster.
- All submissions must be written during the time of the challenge.
- Using the topic as the title of your piece is discouraged.
- Keep to the word count!

Voting Guidelines:

- Three votes per voter. Please denote in your voting your 1st (3 pts), 2nd (2 pts), and 3rd (1 pt) place votes.
- Please read all submissions before voting.
- You must vote in order to be eligible to win the challenge.
- When voting ends, the winner gets a collective pat on the back, and starts the new challenge.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge FAQ
Previous Challenge Threads and Themes

Nezumi

Uh, already have lots of ideas popping into my head for this one.
Though I think I'm gonna ignore the secondary...

Ainsz

Hey guys. I lost track of when these were getting posted and managed to catch this one by luck. Count me in for this one.

Charade

I'd much rather just submit stories and get credit without the whole actually having to write it part.

Aw man, this is like when you find our your childhood heroes were actually terrible people...

Not that you're terrible or anything :D

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Pros of my hour walk back from work. Perfect time to think out some ideas. Cons of hour long walk from work, too tired to actually write out these cool ideas

FlowersisBritish

Anyone who writes a story that includes a description of wormhole travel involving folding a piece of paper and poking a hole in it will be fired into the sun.

giphy.gif

I don't think you're gonna like my story Mike

Mike M

Nick N
giphy.gif

"Hey, have you seen literally any movie about a wormhole?"

"Yeah."

"Well then you've seen the example with the paper."

"Of course. No need to trot out literally the only metaphor ever used to describe a relatively straight-forward concept to imbeciles again."

"Now we won't be fired into the sun!"

"Huzzah!"

Cyan

Banned
"So, imagine that spacetime is like the surface of a balloon."

"Ok."

"And as we inflate the balloon, everything moves farther apart from everything else. Just as happens with the expanding universe."

"All right, I think I get it."

"Now, when a wormhole is created, it's as though you've pinched two bits of the balloon's surface together, and then poked a hole right on through. Instantaneous travel between two bits of the balloon's surface!"

"Wow, that's, uh... that's great. But, um."

"Yes?"

"What happens when all the air rushes out of the universe?"

Nezumi

Well, the story I have planned will definitely include the folding of paper but as of now I have not planned of pushing any pens through it, so I should be good, right?

Anyone who writes a story that includes a description of wormhole travel involving folding a piece of paper and poking a hole in it will be fired into the sun.

what sun? Fucking wormholed that motherfucker. Have fun finding it somewhere.

Meanwhile, if you would be so kind as to turn your attention to this piece of paper...
so, what sensitivity would an eye need in order to be able to see anything without the sun being present?

Neeener

Neo Member
haha... my brain so did not go to wormholes... I was expecting lots of poker/heist type stories... what we need is more Westerns! :)

Mike M

Nick N
giphy.gif

People Were All Like, “Oh, the Science in Interstellar is So Accurate!” But Then It Portrayed Love as a Quantifiable Universal Force. Come On.

Algernon blinked repeatedly as the car trunk opened, blinded by the sodium glare of the street lamp directly overhead. The trip to wherever he was now had been an uncomfortable one—cramped, hot, and filled with the despairing certainty that he was going to die.

A dark silhouette moved between him and the harsh light of the street lamp, the figure of a man with enviously broad shoulders with a halo of luscious hair illuminated from behind. His hand held a gleaming gun. “Oh good,” said the figure in an elocution that bespoke of magnificent intellect, the sort that would be prone to using words like “elocution” in his written prose without a second thought, “you’re awake. We wouldn’t want you to be late for your trip now, would we?”

“What is this?” Algernon protested as hands attached to thickly muscled biceps seized his own spindly arm and forcibly removed him from the trunk of the car. “Where are we? Who are you?”

Without the light shining directly into his eyes, Algernon could better see his predicament. He and the man with the superlative physical and mental qualities stood in an empty parking lot in what appeared to be some sort of derelict carnival or amusement park. “This? This is your punishment, Algernon,” the man said, thrusting the gun toward Algernon’s chest in emphasis. “And this,” he continued, waving his hand over their surroundings, “is its stage.”

With his free hand, the man pointed to the ridiculously well-defined pectoral muscles of his chest. “And I am Nicholas N. You may have heard of me.”

Algernon stared blankly. “Who?”

“Nicholas N,” Nicholas repeated. “You seriously don’t know who I am?”

“No,” Algernon confirmed. “Should I have?”

A flicker of a frown crossed Nicholas’s face before his knowing smirk reasserted itself. “Of course not,” he said. “I am the shadowy puppet master, working behind the scenes to manipulate the very world around you. Your every act in life is but an unwitting dance as I pull on the ends of the strings that entangle your every moment.”

“But… Just a second ago you acted like I should know who you are.”

“Yes, I am an undisputed master of mind games. As I sow the seeds of madness, I will nurture them until your very sanity is shattered and you can no longer tell reality from feverish nightmares.”

“Mostly you’re just making me confused.”

“You know what? Shut up. You have a flight to catch.” With that, Nicholas spun Algernon about by the shoulder and jabbed the gun into the small of his back. “March.”

Algeron led the way through the ruins of the abandoned fairgrounds, his course corrected at sporadic intervals by instructions from the man with the gun to his back. “I don’t understand,” he said after a time. “Why are you doing this? What have ever I ever done to you?”

“Have you ever seen Interstellar?” Nicholas asked. “Or Event Horizon, perhaps?”

“Yeah, why?”

“Well that’s why you’re here,” Nicholas explained. “You have committed the egregious sin of creating a story where of the concept of wormhole travel is demonstrated by folding a piece of paper and poking a hole through it with a pen. It is literally the same trope utilized by every movie’s depiction of the same phenomenon. Your lack of imagination offends me so deeply, that I fear that this is the only course left available to us.”

“But isn’t it like… Only those two movies?” Algernon asked. “If it’s only been used twice, is it really that overused?”

“You know what? Shut up. We’re here.”

“Here” was a rusted-out carnival ride featuring articulated arms jutting out from a central rocket like spokes on a wheel. On the ends of the arm were comically small facsimiles of space shuttles, just large enough to seat an adult or maybe two small children. “What is this?” asked Algernon.

“Do you like it?” Nicholas asked as he stepped past Algernon with his arms spread wide in presentation. “This is the solution to our little problem, a one way rocket to fire you and your pitifully unimaginative mind into the heart of the sun itself.”

“But it’s not a real rocket,” Algernon protested.

Nicholas wheeled about and slapped Algernon across the face with the backside of his empty hand. “You gibbering little imbecile, of course it’s a real rocket! I’ve simply camouflaged it to look like a children’s ride at an amusement park! Brilliant, wouldn’t you agree?”

Algernon rubbed the burning handprint on his face. “It is absolutely convincing,” he said with complete honesty. He was beginning to question whether or not the gun was real too, at this point. “But I don’t understand, what good will this accomplish? I’ve already written the story, it’s already out there. Nothing you can do can take it back. This honestly just doesn’t seem to be a well thought out plan. I mean, what’s your end game?”

Nicholas offered a non-committal shrug. “Yes, I will fully admit that I’m not very good at ending things.”

FlowersisBritish

Wow Mike, I always suspected but never realized till now... I'm glad there are people in the world besides me that think Jimmy Neutron is the best sci fi film of the past century! 2001 A Space Odyssey could have really learned a lot from Jimmy.

Cyan

Banned
Reminder! Hangout in about two hours. Will we get Mike M and/or Nezumi this time? Tune in to find out!

Cyan

Banned
Hangout starts in about ten minutes. Usual location (quote to see):

Ten minutes chat, half hour writing, as usual. See you guys shortly!

Red

Just finished an alliteration burger in anticipation of this challenge. Buffalo blue cheese bacon burger. Good fit for what I'm planning

Red

I don't think I'll be able to cut my story to 2200 words. Is it alright if I submit anyway, and leave the legitimacy of my submission up to discretion?

Nice tag, Mike. Welcome to the fold.

Tangent

"Love is in the Air" (383 words)

Hey, so, I might say "sayonara" to y'all now... I'm not sure if I'll submit an entry for the next challenge since someone might be birthing a bebe! (But maybe not... maybe there will be another two weeks even after the next writing challenge deadline. Just don't know baby's agenda.) I'll be back as soon as everyone around here has recuperated. I think. I have no idea what parenting is all about.

EDIT: Holy fuck, when did I get a tag?!
I literally laughed out loud, like, deep-belly laughing, for about 45 seconds when I read this. Aaaaaaah!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom