• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beats 1 |OT| Apple Invents Radio, Lowe on High

Status
Not open for further replies.
JKvxps3.png

Apple said:
Beats 1 is a place for progressive radio programming. Alongside new music programs from our anchor DJs, we’ve invited some of the biggest artists in the world to make brilliant radio shows — from exclusive weekly DJ mixes to interviews with iconic musicians about albums that changed their lives. Beats 1 plays everything from old-school hip-hop to futuristic pop, and it’s all handpicked by people who live and breathe music.

Hosts
ffQBVob.jpg

Future Hosts
4fp06Ue.png

Website
http://applemusic.tumblr.com/beats1

How do I access it?
It's available in the Apple Music app on iPhones and later in the fall on Android. It is also available via iTunes on the desktop when the update comes out.

What is this thread for?
This community thread is to discuss the music and interviews that are currently playing on Beats 1.

Huge thanks to HUELEN10 for the banner. :)

Mononoke

Banned
Biggest surprise out of Apple's music service. This thing is a killer app. Didn't even know about it launching today, and it's already what I'm using the most. You can't beat live radio w/ human curation. Something radio has sorely needed for a long time. Feels great to get back to that again.

My nickname: @Mononoke

Mononoke

Banned
I need my Jaden Smith fix.

lol I just saw that on the list.

Ridiculous. I'm interested to hear Homme's list.

EDIT: Do people even like this Pharrell song? Been played 3 times now. This will be a BIG marketing tool for artists. No doubt. Then again, I guess that has been the case with radio in general. At least this cuts out a lot of the negative aspects of radio.

dc89

I listened to it all kick off a little while ago! It truly felt like something special was starting.

cjp

Zane is smashing it. It's bringing me back to when I saw him live at The Warehouse Project.

Good times.

jts

...hate me...
Hope this radio ends up spawning some playlists and whatnot. Can't keep listening 24/7 lol. But so far so good.

oti

Banned
This feels like an E3 press conference thread with live reactions. I like it.

And I don't even own an Apple device haha

Xater

Hope this radio ends up spawning some playlists and whatnot. Can't keep listening 24/7 lol. But so far so good.

I created my own Beats1 Likes list and put everything on there I enjoy. Should make for a nice workout list and I can later listen to whole albums of the artists.

I've always loved listening to radio hosted by people with taste so this is huge for me. Loving it so far. Really looking forward to St.Vincent's show.

I meant it kills it for me. Why the hell would I want to listen to censored music? Why would anyone?

Meh, I understand logistically why it works this way. Beats 1 has been insane for curation and discovery, I can go and manually pull up a song if I don't want to hear the censored version. I definitely can't say censoring kills "any chance it had."

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
This reminds me a lot of what the indie channel on Sirius does during the week. They have blog radio where they have "influential" music bloggers come on and host for a few hours and spin their own tunes. You tend to hear a wider variety of music too compared to what is usually played on XMU.

I hope Beats 1 turns out as good as regular streaming "radio" has a lot to be desired.

I somewhat agree. Playing censored songs means I'll only ever listen if I get REALLY tired of my own music. I probably would have considered leaving it playing in the background but not with garbled, censored versions of songs playing.

While the censoring doesn't bother me, since this is all digital and being played on an iPhone, it would be a really cool feature in the future for the app to dynamically play the censored/uncensored version of the song based on the user's preferences.

Rootbeer

Banned
Subbing. Love the potential this station and any sub-stations they eventually spin off have. I remember the collective experience of enjoying MTV at its height, discussing its programming with friends etc., ... I'd like to see this being something on that level for the smartdevice generation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom