• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RETROARCH - The all-in-one emulator dreams are made of, son

Lettuce

You can in-fact download everything you need just fine (the in-app updater works fine too)
They took down the servers but I have a mirror at my office

http://buildbot.libretro.com

Ok, it just wasnt working for me when i tried it, Assets and stuff downloaded fine, just core updater did nothing when i click on it

Doesn't seem to work for me for cores - doesn't list any of them, instead just redraws the previous menu (with cores/assets/db/etc update options) on top of everything else.

Yeah exactly this, this bug where it redraws the menu over the top of the current menu has been in for the last few week, i just thought it was my setup but if your having the same issue then its obviously not

Rich!

How good do the cores run on latets version of RA for the Wii??. Im give serious consideration to getting a Wii and soft modding it and using it in 240p mode along with an RGB scart lead on my CRT

Scart leads for the Wii can be had for £1 !!!!!....

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/nintendo-wii-and-wii-u-scart-cable-a98lk

very very well.

Yoshi's Island runs full speed on the snes9x core for example. And it's fantastic in 240p - retroarch has a specific option for it.

nkarafo

I spent a lot of time configuring version 1.1 and have many config files (in read only even) for each core. I would like to use those in 1.2 version, is it possible or it will cause conflict issues?

1.1 works pretty great for me so if i have to reconfigure everything from ground up, i'd like to know if it's worth it. I mean, is there any major difference or addition? I'm using the Widows version.

I spent a lot of time configuring version 1.1 and have many config files (in read only even) for each core. I would like to use those in 1.2 version, is it possible or it will cause conflict issues?

1.1 works pretty great for me so if i have to reconfigure everything from ground up, i'd like to know if it's worth it. I mean, is there any major difference or addition? I'm using the Widows version.

Make a backup and then just overwrite 1.2 config files with your's and see if it works. what type of configs do you have set up?

nkarafo

Make a backup and then just overwrite 1.2 config files with your's and see if it works. what type of configs do you have set up?
Just the core settings. Paths, controls, shaders, etc. After each core setup was complete, i made it read only because RetroArch has the tendency to change random settings or mess the shaders when i change cores in the UI. By making them read only, all the settings stay no matter what i do (i can even test different settings and mess around without fearing that anything will be saved) and everything works smooth.

Anyway, i will test this at some point, thanks.

Highwind

I've been playing around with RetroArch, and despite the user unfriendliness of the interface (thankfully it's nothing I can't handle) I like it a lot. Though I have been wondering some things:

1. What are the best cores for NES, SNES, N64, GB/GBC/GBA, PS?
2. If I were to get the BNES cores, would I need to faff about with folders for games like in newer BSNES/Higan emulators?
3. Could I configure each core so that I can control them with a different controller? I have adapters for a lot of my controllers and I am not keen on having to rebind all the time.
4. How is net-play when it comes to RetroArch?

Radius4

1. Nestopia, SNES9x / BSnes (if you can run bsnes... why not? snes9x is fine for 90% of the usecases), mupen64, gambatte, VBAM/mgba (mgba is new and shiny and progressing really well), mednafen psx
2. nope
3. the best way to do this would be to generate autoconf profiles for your controllers and plug them when you need them
4. it works well but it's quite demanding and not all cores can achieve good syncing. It depends on how stable the savestates are. Also it's limited to 2 players.

Radius4

Just the core settings. Paths, controls, shaders, etc. After each core setup was complete, i made it read only because RetroArch has the tendency to change random settings or mess the shaders when i change cores in the UI. By making them read only, all the settings stay no matter what i do (i can even test different settings and mess around without fearing that anything will be saved) and everything works smooth.

Anyway, i will test this at some point, thanks.

RA doesn't change anything you don't change.. I'm familiar with the settings code and it's just like that. If anything is changing without interaction let us know could be a bug...

That said, I guess you would benefit from overrides
http://blog.andressm.org/new-retroarch-features-2/

Was lurking the libretro forums and saw that solid12345 released a new version of his analog shader the other day. Anybody try it?

solid12345 said:
Figure i'd start a new thread. Forgive me this will be light on screenshots as i'm dead tired but here is a comparison shot of the various options to choose from. If you guys would like to test and contribute that would be nice. No need to muck with anything, just select the corresponding .cgp file in the folder of the pack and get to enjoying some CRT-esque goodness.

Bear in mind you'll need the latest retroarch that supports a higher number of shader stacks, although I managed to keep the resource level down, I have a 4 year-old Dell XPS and everything runs smooth on my end, obviously YMMV. It should be a nice alternative to CRT-royale which my machine has trouble keeping up with when combined with other shaders

REtX9dv.jpg

The versions you can choose from are:

B&W TV: Pretty self explanatory
Vintage TV: This looks really good with low-res pixel games on systems like the Atari 2600
Composite: Simulating a typical cheap CRT using composite cables
S-video: Much the same but better quality video signal
RGB-Shadowmask: This is more akin to a high quality CRT with RGB/SCART cables
RGB-Scanlines: Like the previous but with thick bold scanlines like you'd find on a Sony PVM or other broadcast quality monitor, nice and bright

As a sidenote i'm not including any overlays, there were some issues last time with people with different sized screens and resolution and now that retroarch supports overlays in the menu that you can adjust manually, people can select their own from the various ones out there. If there is a demand though i'll include the old one I was using.

Here is the link to the files

https://mega.nz/#!5kdjGIoK!UXyxGbzB7YeqJ-bdTb-gjM9y77DkvFj33DXd6oxl5bQ

Thanks to everyone whose shaders made this possible, particularly hunterk he's been real helpful.

When I try loading it my shader parameters seem to remain the same. I have the same loading issue with crt-lottes-halation. I noticed Solid's .cgp files have backslashes ( \ ) instead of forward ( / ) for the shader directory paths. I changed them, but with that modification RA just crashes. Any idea? I'm running 1.2.2 on OSX btw, aside from lottes-halation all other shaders run just fine.

Shaneus

Was lurking the libretro forums and saw that solid12345 released a new version of his analog shader the other day. Anybody try it?

When I try loading it my shader parameters seem to remain the same. I have the same loading issue with crt-lottes-halation. I noticed Solid's .cgp files have backslashes ( ) instead of forward ( / ) for the shader directory paths. I changed them, but with that modification RA just crashes. Any idea? I'm running 1.2.2 on OSX btw, aside from lottes-halation all other shaders run just fine.
Jesus, they're all amazing.

bacardi

When I try loading it my shader parameters seem to remain the same. I have the same loading issue with crt-lottes-halation. I noticed Solid's .cgp files have backslashes ( \ ) instead of forward ( / ) for the shader directory paths. I changed them, but with that modification RA just crashes. Any idea? I'm running 1.2.2 on OSX btw, aside from lottes-halation all other shaders run just fine.

Same thing here :/

Lettuce

problem with the last few nightlies then, everything else downloads bar the cores. Click on the cores and it does nothing bar copying the XMB GUI menu over the top of itself, so when you move up and down you can see multiple copies of the gui!

Rich!

problem with the last few nightlies then, everything else downloads bar the cores. Click on the cores and it does nothing bar copying the XMB GUI menu over the top of itself, so when you move up and down you can see multiple copies of the gui!

I have exactly the same issue.

Radius4

Rich!

Have there been any significant improvements in the mupen64 core recently? Just tried it out for the first time in a while and its considerably better.

I just discovered this and now I'm playing Metal Gear Solid 1 on my iPhone 6 and its fucking awesome!!!!

I managed to fix the screen size but is there anyway to fix the overlay which is wrong?

Radius4

# URL to core update directory on buildbot.
# core_updater_buildbot_url = "http://buildbot.libretro.com"

That was never the default and nothing in the code can change that.
That line is only found as a comment in the reference config that isn't used for anything.

Anyway set it correctly "http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/win-x86_64/latest/"

Aeana

I've been using a really, really old version of RetroArch for about a year. I decided to download the latest nightly and start fresh. I set up my shaders, and go to "shader preset save as" and type in a filename, hit enter, and as far as I can tell, it isn't creating a file anywhere. Am I doing something wrong?

EDIT: Also, what happened to the dithering option in Mednafen PSX?

kaioshade

Not sure if anyone has seen this problem before, and its been driving me insane. I am on 1.2.2 on OS X 10.11, everything runs fine, except the menu framerate. Games will run their normal 60fps just fine, but the menu runs at 30. Estimated monitor framerate keeps saying 30, even though the refresh is set at 59.95. As far as actualgames its fine, but id like to know why it does this.

*and eventually figure out why my nightly compiles keep failing as well*

Awakened

has crt-easymode-halation been uploaded to the common shaders yet?
Yep, and it includes the option to turn off interlacing detection. I love how it doesn't really lose brightness like most other CRT shaders and the even scanlines with non-integer scaling easymode is known for.

Running my PS4 controller on Windows 10 through dinput and after successfully configuring it numerous times with retroarch-joyconfig it still doesn't want to work on the menus.

Is anyone else having this issue?

EDIT: Restarting my PC so that InputMapper would work properly with exclusive mode (without explorer.exe running) fixed my issue

Rick74

Neo Member
Yep, and it includes the option to turn off interlacing detection. I love how it doesn't really lose brightness like most other CRT shaders and the even scanlines with non-integer scaling easymode is known for.

Loving this shader, Easy Mode!!!

Knurek

Any idea why Desmume x64 core doesn't work from XMB/RGUI?

No problems with x64_w32 version. Games load fine.
No problems with x64 version when loading through commandline ("D:\Gry\retroarch\retroarch.exe" -D -L "d:\Gry\retroarch\cores\desmume_libretro.dll" "Etrian Odyssey.zip")
Trying to load the same game from XMB/RGUI results in a crash in desmume_libretro.dll.

I thought it was a problem with rewind, like the PS1 core has on booting, but disabling it doesn't fix the crash.
This thread mentions that going back to an older core fixes the problem, it's so old it doesn't seem to be available on buildbot anymore.

//EDIT: Weirdest thing, I've added this core option override:
Code:
video_shader = ":\shaders\desmume_libretro.dll.cgp"
rewind_enable = "false"
and the blasted thing started working. Disabling the rewind in the main retroarch.cfg doesn't work, so I'm stumped why doing so in override cfg would help. :\

//EDIT2: Got it - as soon as the game loaded from command line passes the boot screen and provided you have auto-save/load enabled, you can use XMB/RGUI to load it. Otherwise - hard crash as described above.

Lettuce

Easymode, any chance you could add (not sure what the effect is called) the fade effect that solid12345 uses all around the edges of the screen in his old school analog crt shader for your next release?

Radius4

Any idea why Desmume x64 core doesn't work from XMB/RGUI?

No problems with x64_w32 version. Games load fine.
No problems with x64 version when loading through commandline ("D:\Gry\retroarch\retroarch.exe" -D -L "d:\Gry\retroarch\cores\desmume_libretro.dll" "Etrian Odyssey.zip")
Trying to load the same game from XMB/RGUI results in a crash in desmume_libretro.dll.

I thought it was a problem with rewind, like the PS1 core has on booting, but disabling it doesn't fix the crash.
This thread mentions that going back to an older core fixes the problem, it's so old it doesn't seem to be available on buildbot anymore.

//EDIT: Weirdest thing, I've added this core option override:
Code:
video_shader = ":\shaders\desmume_libretro.dll.cgp"
rewind_enable = "false"
and the blasted thing started working. Disabling the rewind in the main retroarch.cfg doesn't work, so I'm stumped why doing so in override cfg would help. :\

//EDIT2: Got it - as soon as the game loaded from command line passes the boot screen and provided you have auto-save/load enabled, you can use XMB/RGUI to load it. Otherwise - hard crash as described above.

I don't have any of those issues, I tried with rewind, with auto load and autosave and it's still working.
Also changing rewind on the main config works fine unless it was broken... yesterday or something.

Side note, the core still has some internal sync mechanism screwing us up, performance is terrible with hard gpu sync enabled and rewind.

Knurek

EasyMode, if I may ask - what devilry did you use on your shader. Not only does it look amazing, it also doesn't seem to take any GPU cycles. My GTX970 downclocks to 135 MHz while running your shader, most of other ones need the GPU to run at nominal clock.

I don't have any of those issues, I tried with rewind, with auto load and autosave and it's still working.
Side note, the core still has some internal sync mechanism screwing us up, performance is terrible with hard gpu sync enabled and rewind.

If you want to take a deeper look, here's my config file. I'm using today's build (CRC: 584830FF) with the latest Desmume core (CRC: 2467FA64). No problem with loading from command-line and load recent list (in fact, you can add a new, never loaded ROM there and it will work fine. Crashes in desmume_libretro.dll when loading through any of the Load Content options.

I thought the rewind performance hit was caused by the fact that each Desmume savestate being 12 MB in size (as compared to ~300 kB for SNES or 1 MB for Genesis) - having to make 60 of them per second might be killing CPUs left and right.

Top Bottom