• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

100,000 lb crane loses tug-of-war with oak tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
100K-pound crane topples, smashes Santa Rosa house. Not quite sure what happened here, as part of the tree broke and caused the crane to topple...I'm guessing the crane was bracing the tree up?

(11-17) 12:04 PST Santa Rosa, Calif. (AP) --

A crew is working to remove a 100,000-pound crane that toppled onto a Santa Rosa house and smashed it in half. No one was hurt in the Monday afternoon accident, which happened as workers were removing an unstable oak tree in the front yard.

Rich Kingsborough of Atlas Tree Surgery, which was was removing the tree, says a large section of the tree that was connected to the crane suddenly broke loose. It yanked the 131-foot boom down onto the house and vaulted the cab into the air.

It wasn't the day's first piece of bad news for Kevin and Michelle McCarthy, who had just moved in to the home in August. Michelle McCarthy says she had gotten into a car accident earlier Monday, and the couple was in Marin County dealing with the crash when they got the call about their house.

ba-North_Coast_T_0500855442.jpg

ba-North_Coast_T_0500855422.jpg

ba-North_Coast_T_0500855409.jpg

KillerAJD

I live in Rohnert Park (next town over) and it was all over the news here, lol. The home owner's day was fucked up.

From the outside, it doesn't look like too much damage (looks like only part of the house was damaged, probably the kitchen or living room), but still, I'd hate to be in that home owner's situation.

Why would you do that? said:
From the outside, it doesn't look like too much damage (looks like only part of the house was damaged, probably the kitchen or living room), but still, I'd hate to be in that home owner's situation.

Eh? looks like it cut the fucking building in half to me :lol

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Parl said:
Why don't they just get another crane to push down on the fallen one to stand it back up?
Well, in the first pic it looks like they brought in at least 2 other cranes, so maybe they were going to try just that!

Enzom21

BobTheFork said:
O-o
No one tell him, he must answer for this crime!
I already told him, it's from The Fly... unless i'm mistaken. It could also be from Earth girls are easy, right after Uptown Julie Brown shaves the aliens, I get those two confused.

enzom21 said:
I already told him, it's from The Fly... unless i'm mistaken. It could also be from Earth girls are easy, right after Uptown Julie Brown shaves the aliens, I get those two confused.

Yeah...it's from The Fly, good one *wink wink*

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Saw this in the Press Democrat a day ago. Seems like Sonoma county has many a' epic fails these days. Glad I'm not there! :lol

AniHawk

Ripclawe said:
WTF? Okay the movie is not that old and you can't be that young!

Jurassic Park is 16 years old. Even if he's 18, he would have been 2 when the movie first came out.

I was 8 when I first saw it. It was my first PG-13 movie.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
AniHawk said:
Jurassic Park is 16 years old. Even if he's 18, he would have been 2 when the movie first came out.

I was 8 when I first saw it. It was my first PG-13 movie.

Dinosaurs are just not cool these days.

UrokeJoe

from the pictures it doesn't even look like they tried to dig out the roots some?? They just sawed some limbs and said "lets pull her out, we got this big ass crane". Go!

lame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom