• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Long Dark (aka best survival game on Steam) finally shows and teases Story Mode

Salsa

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2015/12/...ory-mode? hub page (front page)&utm_content=1

Reveal Trailer

TheLongDark_AstridGreenwood-720x1104.jpg

Players in Story Mode will alternate playing as pilot Will Mackenzie and Dr. Astrid Greenwood in their quest to survive in the aftermath of the "First Flare" event. “After keeping our community in the dark about our plans for Story Mode, we’re thrilled to finally be able to reveal some details of what we’ve been working on alongside the over 75 updates we’ve made to Sandbox Mode over the last year,” said Hinterland founder and creative director Raphael van Lierop. “Our success on Early Access proved there’s an audience for a more thoughtful survival experience, and the resources we’ve been able to invest in the game will help us pursue our ambitions around storytelling as we continue to expand this world. We see a bright future for The Long Dark, and are committed to a long­term relationship with our players.”

According to Hinterland, approximately 25%-30% of Story Mode will take place in entirely new areas. Furthermore, the Sandbox Mode's permadeath will be replaced by a checkpoint save system in Story Mode. Furthermore, the December update for Sandbox adds a new region called Timberwolf Mountain, rope-climbing gameplay, a survival log, a stats screen, and other fixes.

hell fuckin yes. cannot wait

also today's update adds rope-climbing and a whole new region

been loving this game since day 1 on early access

jond76

Banned
This is a great sandbox survival game on Xbox. I highly recommend it.

Edit: oh man that trailer has me hyped!

I posted this in the other thread but I'm not overly thrilled with the direction they seem to be taking the story.

When I backed the game it sounded like it was all about you vs the wilderness after crashing your place but there were people fighting each other in that trailer. I didn't really want any human vs human combat but I'm willing to wait to see more before casting further judgemen

I'm also kind of bummed that they waited to release all of this info to the public while us backers have been completely in the dark regarding the story mode details for years.

Definitely one of my better Kickstarter pledges, even just the sandbox mode alone is worth the money in my opinion, but still glad to see some story mode finally.

Salsa

When I backed the game it sounded like it was all about you vs the wilderness after crashing your place but there were people fighting each other in that trailer. I didn't really want any human vs human combat but I'm willing to wait to see more before casting further judgement

I really doubt there'll be any human on human combat. there's barely any human models frozen on the floor and all that and they dont look that great

I think they only changed the backstory a bit, and the pilot is still there

I really doubt there'll be any human on human combat. there's barely any human models frozen on the floor and all that and they dont look that great

I think they only changed the backstory a bit, and the pilot is still there

Yeah like I said the game has been supported and handled so well up until now I'm remaining optimistic.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Glad I bought this whe I did even I never really played it. I just get no kick out of the "Survive as long as you can" thing, so I'm stocked for some actual story mode where I have a goal.

SpotAnime

I backed this when it was on Kickstarter. It's a fun game, I generally play it on casual so I can freely explore. The one thing I hate though is the POV, it's far too low to the ground and feels like I'm crawling everywhere. Wish they would fix that or make it configurable.

Other than that, I'm pretty excited for this story mode. Great game deserves a new mode.

Salsa

I backed this when it was on Kickstarter. It's a fun game, I generally play it on casual so I can freely explore. The one thing I hate though is the POV, it's far too low to the ground and feels like I'm crawling everywhere. Wish they would fix that or make it configurable.

Other than that, I'm pretty excited for this story mode. Great game deserves a new mode.

it has a slider from 70 to 90. other than that they've said they're gonna up it to more for final release

don't see how 90 is too bad tho? unless you're doing like triple monitors

Ozium

best survival game on Steam

no stupid zombies, just the harsh fickle mistress that is nature. and wolves.
no stupid hoding a button down to 'chop' a tree..

featuring the voice talents of David Hayter and Jennifer Hale

game just keeps getting better..

Ozium

also salsa why you no post that the update with the new area/ropes etc is out now?

* Added new region: Timberwolf Mountain.
* Added Rope Climbing gameplay.
* Added Distress Pistol tool/weapon.
* Added Stats Screen that tracks current and historical Sandbox game data.
* Added Player Log that tracks locations explored, general status, and allows for players to write/edit Journal entries.
* Added Rifle Cleaning Kit tool, and Rifle maintenance gameplay.
* Added Sharpening Stone tool, and bladed tool maintenance gameplay.
* Added Sharpening Stones and Rifle Cleaning Kits to all Sandbox regions. Added spawning logic to ensure they spawn in old save games.
* Added Rifle Jamming.
* Added Fatigue-driven Rifle sway.
* Added pre-Aim reticle back to Bow.
* Added on-screen indicators for all types of damage.
* Added variant of Ice Fishing Hut that has flimsy door to provide shelter from wind.
* Updated Caves directly connected to the world so their interior temperature is modified by the exterior temperature, vs. a static temperature trigger.
* Added new Death, Near Neath, and Region music.
* Added some new landmarks in Pleasant Valley to help with the navigation to Timberwolf Mountain.
* Updated Wind system to affect trees, branches, grass, and reeds.
* Updated Stag model and animations, including carcasses.
* Updated Condition HUD indicators, to only appear when sub-conditions are critical.
* Updated the Stamina Bar to more clearly indicate when the player cannot sprint due to injuries, exhaustion, etc.
* Updated Location text labels.
* Updated the names of some of the “transition” regions, to give them a unique identity.
* Updated the Sandbox menu for improved usability.
* Updated Low Health screen effects to better communicate critical health status.
* Unlocked all playable Regions from the Sandbox menu. The player may now select any of the available regions without needing to find those locations through gameplay.

Johndoey

Banned
best survival game on Steam

no stupid zombies, just the harsh fickle mistress that is nature. and wolves.
no stupid hoding a button down to 'chop' a tree..

featuring the voice talents of David Hayter and Jennifer Hale

game just keeps getting better..

Seriously? Damn I have to buy this game.

anthn

TLD is an absolutely fantastic game from a great group of devs. Just a gem of a game - polished, fun, with great atmosphere.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
I played the trial in the xbox one the last summer and i loved it.But i'll wait to a version with more content.

Top Bottom