• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's Album of the Year 2015 Voting Thread - Ends 1/15/16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaffield

Eh80ymU.jpg

01 | Destroyer | Poison Season
Bejar's song-writing and lyricism have never been better than on Poison Season ("I got paid and then I wrote a song/I got paid and then I rode a song into the heavens), and the shift into more theatrical, intricately arranged art music perfectly suits Bejar's apathetic frontman personality. The album retains the signature guitar tones expected from a Destroyer album, plus the reverby trumpets from Kaputt, and adds some excellent sax and powerful, dynamic string arrangements. It's a new sound for Destroyer, but the impeccable songwriting and layered production place it among the top of their catalog in my opinion.
favorite tracks: "Forces from Above", "Bangkok"

NjgDrtN.jpg

02 | Metz | II
Metz slays so hard, and their second album shows them at their loudest, noisiest, and thrashiest, while also being insanely catchy. cathartic grind/punk that you can play at a party.
favorite tracks: "Spit You Out", "Acetate"

cKAxHCy.jpg

03 | Panda Bear | Panda Bear Meets the Grim Reaper
Panda Bear is as experimental as ever on his latest solo album, with a more electronic+psychedelic tint. The synthesizers are thick and woozy, sort of reminiscent of AnCo's Strawberry Jam or Centipede Hz, and the sampled vocals are the best realization of Lennox's trippy solo call-and-response style. He masterfully switches between ceaseless synth weirdness ("Crosswords" and "Principe Real") to some gorgeous piano-laden atmospheric tracks ("Shadow of the Colossus" and "Tropic of Cancer") to accomplish his most emotionally complete album yet.
favorite tracks: "Principe Real", "Boys Latin"

5cRUPG0.jpg

04 | Deerhunter | Fading Frontier
If Monomania was Deerhunter's middle-finger-up statement that they could still be noisy punks, Fading Frontier is a shoulder-shrug that asserts their place as master songwriters with no real restriction to genre. While the album sits mostly in the corner of indie rock with twangy guitars, background synths, and electric organs ("Living My Life" shows more Radiohead influence than anything else in their discography), some tracks show them unafraid to break out of usual rock-song structures and use their well-tested instrumentation for some experimental shit. "Leather and Wood" and "Ad Astra" are some of the band's weirdest yet, while "Breaker" and "Snakeskin" are pop masterpieces. Tonally, the album is much more relaxed and ephemeral than their last two releases, and the lyrics are more meditative and reflective of Cox's own life as opposed to the case-study approach to humanity's darkness that was so present in Halcyon Digest and his solo record Parallax.
favorite tracks: "Snakeskin", "Carrion"

B7glh9U.jpg

05 | Pinkshinyultrablast | Everything Else Matters
With their particularly aethereal vocals and fast, echoed guitars that weave in and out of the sharp synths, the album feels like Lush crossed with early Weezer. Instead of religiously sticking to the sometimes restrictive noise and fuzz expectations of shoegaze songwriting, PSUB instead goes for prog-rock jams and cooldowns following their cathartic riffs. Everything Else Matters is easilly my favorite shoegaze album of the year, and its nice to hear a melodic but not-quite-dreampop release amid the trend of heavier shoegaze.
favorite tracks: "Ravestar Supreme", "Glitter"

jeZMsuq.jpg
UYzuGQl.jpg
ldpDSuj.jpg
X0BwsC2.jpg
oo0TBAj.jpg

06 | Viet Cong | Viet Cong

07 | A Sunny Day in Glasgow | Planning Weed Like It's Acid/Life is Loss

08 | Will Butler | Policy

09 | Frog Eyes | Pickpocket's Locket

10 | Lightning Bolt | Fantasy Empire

eqKdWb5.jpg
jcdIHp2.jpg
yYcGrB4.png
47DVJ2u.jpg
tkWVpip.jpg

11 | The Holydrug Couple | Moonlust

12 | Neon Indian | VEGA Intl. Night School

13 | Into Violence | Into Violence

14 | Swervedriver | I Wasn't Born to Lose You

15 | Thundercat | The Beyond/Where the Giants Roam

e9FCXDB.jpg
CuSWltn.jpg
zpiYL3b.jpg
XtFCmhr.jpg
ZaNvzXB.jpg

16 | Prefuse 73 | Rivington Não Rio

17 | ZEUS! | Motomonotono

18 | Destruction Unit | Negative Feedback Resistor

19 | Battles | La Di Da Di

20 | Thee Oh Sees | Mutilator Defeated at Last

qlxF7Ek.jpg
hucxRnI.jpg
ZPVmnbx.jpg
RqySff0.jpg
bqNXfhF.jpg

21 | Cloakroom | Further Out

22 | EULA | Wool Sucking

23 | Deafheaven | New Bermuda

24 | HEALTH | DEATH MAGIC

25 | Squarepusher | Damogen Furies

Honorable Mentions:
xx | Beach House | Depression Cherry
xx | Ty Segall | Ty Rex
xx | Unknown Mortal Orchestra | Multi-Love
xx | A Place to Bury Strangers | Transfixiation
xx | Mac Demarco | Another One
xx | Arca | Mutant
xx | Tyondai Braxton | HIVE1
xx | Oneohtrix Point Never | Garden of Delete
xx | Tamaryn | Cranekiss
xx | Retox | Beneath California

ChryZ

01 | Jauzas The Shining & Victoria Lukas | Shadows
02 | Der Zyklus | Isometric Projection EP
03 | Dave Monolith MNLTH | Time EP
04 | Rolando Simmons | Magic Crystal
05 | Face Culler | Lostlands
06 | Visonia | Nausicaa EP
07 | Iconic Black Suit | Bionic Eyes Won't Cry
08 | Monolog X | Sing To Find Your Way Home
09 | Adan & Ilse | Cold Diamonds
10 | Royalston | People on the Ground
11 | Juan Atkins | Digital Solutions
12 | DZA | Robo Army EP
13 | Etherwood | Blue Leaves
14 | Capsule | Wave Runner
15 | Reso | Ricochet
16 | Lectromagnetique | Alienation
17 | The Florists | Growth

omgkitty

I will most likely mess with this some more, but this how it is for now. This year has been strange for me. There's a lot of stuff here that I listened to a lot, but nothing that really stood out to me as the best of the year. There were things I listened to non stop earlier this year that I've lost love for (Lower Dens, Viet Cong, Sufjan Stevens, Panda Bear) and even some of the newer stuff I can't tell if I like it more now just because it's fresh on the mind. Overall great year, but not really any classics.

01 | Oneohtrix Point Never | Garden of Delete
02 | Tame Impala | Currents
03 | Beach House | Thank Your Lucky Stars
04 | Father John Misty | I Love You, Honeybear
05 | Floating Points | Elaenia
06 | Deafheaven | New Bermuda
07 | Beach House | Depression Cherry
08 | Disasterpeace | It Follows Soundtrack
09 | Lower Dens | Escape From Evil
10 | Viet Cong | Viet Cong
11 | Sufjan Stevens | Carrie & Lowell
12 | Panda Bear | Panda Bear Meets the Grim Reaper
13 | Deerhunter | Fading Frontier
14 | Grimes | Art Angels
15 | Courtney Barnett | Sometimes I Sit and Think, and Sometimes I Just Sit
16 | New Order | Music Complete
17 | AFX | Orphaned Deejay Selek (2006-2008) EP
18 | Neon Indian | VEGA INTL. Night School
19 | Destroyer | Poison Season
20 | Julia Holter | Have You In My Wilderness

Honorable mentions (things I didn't listen to enough / never came back to):
Death Grips - The Powers That B
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - 'Asunder, Sweet And Other Distress'
Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly
Kamasi Washington - The Epic
Björk - Vulnicura

npanciroli

Neo Member
Listened to a lot this year. Only ones to survive continuous listens are:

01 | Everything Everything | Get to Heaven

Easily my favourite of the year and already probably my favourite album of all-time. Really surprised this hasn't been recognized that much. Just blown away by this.

02 | Grimes | Art Angels

Number 1 any other year.

03 | Foals | What Went Down
04 | My Morning Jacket | The Waterfall
05 | Tame Impala - Currents
06 | CHVRCHES | Every Open Eye
07 | Modest Mouse | Strangers to Ourselves
08 | Imagine Dragons | Smoke + Mirrors
09 | Matt and Kim | New Glow
10 | Death Cab for Cutie | Kintsugi

01 | Everything Everything | Get to Heaven

Easily my favourite of the year and already probably my favourite album of all-time. Really surprised this hasn't been recognized that much. Just blown away by this.

My excuse: because I don't live in Britain or pay a ton of attention to their music scene these days, it's easy for me to miss stuff like this. I was a big fan of their last two albums, though!

SeroTyler

First one to talk gets to stay on the aircraft!
11 | Lana Del Rey | Honeymoon
10 | Oneohtrix Point Never | Garden of Delete
09 | Jamie xx | In Colour
08 | Donne Trumpet & The Social Experiment | Surf
07 | Dr. Dre | Compton
06 | Death Grips | The Powers That B
05 | Deafheaven | New Bermuda
04 | Carly Rae Jepsen | E•MO•TION
03 | Grimes | Art Angels
02 | Kendrick Lamar | To Pimp a Butterfly
01 | Sufjan Stevens | Carrie & Lowell

Steamlord

I finished my list relatively early this year. I've provided Bandcamp links when possible and YouTube samples for the rest. (Sorry for the triple post, character limits and whatnot)

9DLiUKlm.jpg
Gv2DmVpm.jpg
h0UnyiCm.jpg
nwfxUFfm.jpg
ViuYFnhm.jpg

01 | Timbre | Sun & Moon
After careful consideration I concluded that I couldn't possibly give my top spot to any other album. This one is just too good, and nothing else stuck out as a clear "best" as much as this one did. Sun & Moon is an extremely ambitious, nearly two-hour double concept album. As one might expect, the first half is the "Sun" half, and its tracks are more upbeat, with creative pop/rock drumming and liberal use of harp and other string instruments, piano, drumset, and occasionally glockenspiel. The lyrics generally focus on daytime themes, the songs are poppier, and the drummer makes interesting use of toms, snare, and rim clicks to create an interesting variety of sounds without being complex enough to overpower the rest of the music. The second half is the "Moon" half, which of course deals with nocturnal themes and is overall more subdued, focusing more on long-form songs with extensive use of a choir (singing mostly in Latin), strings, woodwinds, some sparse brass, and more operatic vocal styles as opposed to the pop sound of the first half. It forgoes percussion almost entirely except for occasional timpani. The arrangements on both the "Sun" and "Moon" portions are absolutely beautiful. The two halves are joined by the transitional tracks "Night Girl: Nycteris Sees the Sun," the last track on the "Sun" half, and "Day Boy: Photogen Sees the Moon," the last track on the "Moon" half and on the entire album, but one that suggests a cyclical nature to the entire work, which creatively reflects its theme. Each half manages to capture its respective mood perfectly, and there's not a bad or out-of-place song on the album, making it a fascinating listen despite its length. The album is breathtaking in its scope and the skill with which it is executed. It really does feel like experiencing the moods of a full day and night packed into a mere two hours.
Bandcamp

02 | Julia Holter | Have You in My Wilderness
Julia Holter's music feels as though it were made specifically for me. I can't think of another musician currently working who so consistently blows me away with their output. Holter's songwriting and arrangements hit all the right notes (no pun intended), and her output just continues to improve as she gains more experience, especially since she gained a proper studio and band as of her 2013 album Loud City Song. On Have You in My Wilderness, Holter outdoes herself yet again, incorporating a wide array of sounds and styles into each song. Any given track on the album may include guitars, harpsichord, violins, double bass, various electronic sounds, multitracked backing vocals, and various percussion instruments accompanying Holter's primary vocal threads. "Silhouette," for instance, begins as a catchy and relatively simple tune reminiscent of an old-fashioned folk song, albeit with more complicated guitars and vocal melody, before progressing to a soaring reverb-drenched dream pop chorus and ultimately a symphonic string-filled finale, all in the space of four minutes. Holter's vocals are lively and powerful on some tracks, such as "Sea Calls Me Home" and "Everytime Boots," and sensitive and restrained on others, such as the slower "How Long?" and "Night Song." With Have You in My Wilderness Holter has once more expanded her sonic palette and created a truly remarkable album that I can listen to again and again.
Betsy on the Roof

03 | Mount Eerie | Sauna
I've mulled it over and I've come to the conclusion that Sauna is Phil Elverum's best work under the Mount Eerie moniker. Over the course of the album he incorporates virtually all of the various sounds that he's become known for over the years, from the noisy freak folk of his early Microphones output to the drone and shoegaze stylings he ramped up with his Mount Eerie work. Sauna is a work of strange, primal beauty, one that feels like a culmination of everything Elverum made before. It almost feels like it could be a final album, but let's hope that's not the case. Elverum has been releasing outstanding music for years, and Sauna shows that he still has that wonderful and unique creative spark.
Bandcamp

04 | Julien Baker | Sprained Ankle
It's rare to hear such a direct and affecting expurgation of one's demons. The emotion contained in Sprained Ankle is so strong and immediate that it almost feels as if Baker didn't write the songs, they just sort of came out of her as naturally as breathing. Julien Baker has gone through a lot of difficult experiences that I won't go into here (she's spoken about her past in interviews if you're curious), but she details those troubles with all the emotion she can muster, her powerful voice accompanied by minimalist guitar loops and occasional percussion and vocal harmonies to accentuate the heartbreaking crescendos. Now consider that Baker is only twenty years old. I'd say she's got quite a career ahead of her.
Bandcamp

05 | Hop Along | Painted Shut
As with Hop Along's previous album, Frances Quinlan's raw and overwhelming vocals are the star of the show, but they're backed by extremely solid percussion and guitar work. Every track is masterfully crafted and the album chugs along with a remarkable energy from start to finish. Quinlan's lyrics are vague at times but still powerful in their own magical realist way, lending the album a sense of melancholy and frustration that's balanced out by the often peppy music. Quinlan often repeats lines multiple times in a row, which may turn some people off or strike them as lazy, but it feels almost as if she is approaching these lines from different angles with each delivery, changing the emphasis each time and giving them additional weight and meaning. Every track is a joy to listen to, and as an album it comes together brilliantly.
Bandcamp

cOxRcNRm.jpg
s8MAzHWm.jpg
xs5UAwxm.jpg
G8fvzSWm.jpg
QKSJ3qqm.jpg

06 | BRAIDS | Deep in the Iris
It's immediately evident that Deep in the Iris is much more poppy and direct than Braids' previous two albums. However, this change fits the album thematically, and despite heading in a more "pop" direction it feels like they're really finding their voice. Raphaelle Standell-Preston's incredible vocals give the album a strong emotional core, and her lyrics are more direct than ever before as she tackles sexism, abuse, and depression. "Miniskirt" is an all-out attack on sexism and gender roles. "Happy When" and "Getting Tired" are both eerily accurate representations of depression; the songs almost feel like what depression feels like, yet somehow manage to be catchy and energetic at the same time. Austin Tufts delivers some outstanding drumming as usual, lending a lot of energy to the album, and the production, while in a more structured, short-form song format, is thoroughly on point throughout. It's a different direction for Braids, but they've demonstrated they have no trouble handling it.
Bandcamp

07 | Colin Stetson and Sarah Neufeld | Never Were the Way She Was
I've been a huge fan of Stetson for several years now, and I've always loved his single-take approach to recording, making so many sounds and layers with just a single saxophone and a lot of microphones. So when I first heard about this album, I worried that the addition of Neufeld's violin might make Stetson's sax lose some of its magic. Thankfully I was wrong. Stetson's trademark versatility is still very much on display, and the addition of violin lends it a more lush sound, a bit less harsh than Stetson's solo work, but still very much Stetson. Some tracks feature Reichian repetition, some are more ambient, some lean toward drone, and on some Stetson goes all out and crafts crazy beats out of the various sounds he makes with his saxophones. Neufeld also provides some subtle backing vocals, adding yet another layer to the mix, but it never feels too overwhelming or crowded. It's an enthralling listen from start to finish.
The sun roars into view

08 | Kendrick Lamar | To Pimp a Butterfly
This is perhaps the most culturally relevant album to come out this year. That alone wouldn't be enough to earn it a spot in my top ten, but combined with fantastic beats, a huge variety of sounds, great rapping, and a steady pacing to the tracks that makes the over-one-hour album zip by, it's a no-brainer. The production on every single track is amazing, with lots of heavy jazz, funk, and soul influences. On top of the rock-solid beats is Lamar's jaw-dropping commentary on race relations in the U.S., from his own personal experiences to politics and the economy and their role in perpetuating inequality on a systemic level. Kendrick does such a great job of driving his points home from every possible angle it's magnificent to behold. To Pimp a Butterfly has instant classic written all over it.
Bandcamp

09 | Noveller | Fantastic Planet
On her newest LP, Sarah Lipstate moves beyond ambient guitar loop pieces, which formed the majority of her previous work, and brings synthesizers into the mix as well. The result can still largely be called ambient, but certain tracks contain melodies or rhythms that demonstrate a break from the ambient genre. Despite this change, Lipstate maintains a compelling, dreamy mood throughout the album, making its title rather apt. The first two tracks are relatively slow and shimmering, more or less in keeping with Noveller's previous outings, but that gets thrown out the window on "Rubicon," which features noisy droning guitars, but also a triplet-based rhythm that sweeps it along. "Sisters" changes the game even more, with looped melodies that are actually kind of catchy. About a third of the way through the track, "Sisters" switches to a bouncy swung synthesizer loop, and it's around that point that one realizes how much of a departure this album is. The remaining tracks dial it back a tad into more ambient/slowcore territory, but each track still has a very distinct structure, complete with occasional percussion and melodies. The result of all this is an interesting blend of styles that retains an ambient "feel" but isn't afraid to break out of it and get fun at times, without losing its whimsical dreamlike tone.
Bandcamp

10 | Low | Ones and Sixes
Ones and Sixes sees Low revisiting various points in their career, and creating one of their best albums yet as a result. The band combines electronic pieces, atmospheric guitars, drones, haunting vocals, and occasional tight slow jams like "No Comprende," which features staccato guitars and percussion during the verses before blossoming into a brief dreamy chorus, then slipping right back into another clockwork verse and finally slowing to a droning crawl in the finale. The album also contains beautiful slow tracks like "Spanish Translation" and "Into You." Never the type of band to sell out, the 10-minute "Landslide" is an extended slow drone with Sparhawk and Parker's vocals soaring atop it. Bringing well over twenty years of experience to the table, Low have once again created a beautiful and absorbing album.
Bandcamp

Steamlord

memYHVAm.jpg
gup3E31m.jpg
l5i5gRYm.jpg
yybY2Hwm.jpg
AE4LWj3m.jpg

11 | New Orleans Swim Team | Walls
I've been following Jacob Ulickij's work for a few years and I think he's really created something special with this album. Musically it's indie pop / emo, with primarily spoken word vocals, delivered powerfully and aggressively at some points, and more quietly at others, but always rapidly and precisely. Ulickij sings occasionally, but spoken word is definitely the primary vocal style. The songwriting on each track makes each one thoroughly distinct. Ulickij throws all of his emotion into his delivery, spilling his guts with his lyrics, his voice often shaking as if holding back tears, making it an intense and heartfelt experience backed up by considerable technical skill.
Bandcamp

12 | Eskimeaux | O.K.
O.K. is a beautiful album combining blissful indie pop, rock, and folktronica. The songs are lyrically and thematically delicate and heartfelt, but they are backed by strong yet tasteful production, with light instumentation and vocals at one moment breaking out into a breathtaking chorus the next, composed of guitars, electronic instruments, and excellent percussion. "Broken Necks" is one of the single best pop songs of the year.
Bandcamp

13 | LoneLady | Hinterland
Hinterland is an expertly crafted piece of post-punk with heavy funk, dub, and new wave influences. The music contains bits of Talking Heads, Gang of Four, and Liquid Liquid, but does not sound entirely like any of them. The songs are primarily composed of slick grooves, peppy riffs, upbeat rhythms, and funky basslines, with some more dissonant guitar tones occasionally included to remind you that this is still a post-punk album, even if it is upbeat. Every track is infectious and danceable, except for "Flee!," which is the odd track out with its droning strings and solemn vocals. The entire album is just fun to listen to.
Bunkerpop

14 | Enablers | The Rightful Pivot
Enablers have released yet another brilliant noise rock album. Pete Simonelli's free verse poetry and spoken word delivery are as cool and confident and aggressive as ever, a style I can only describe as beat poetry revival. The noisy guitars and drums ebb and flow with the loud/quiet changes and the immense crescendos, accompanying the poems' narratives and tones. This is also the first Enablers album, as far as I can recall, to feature singing, though only on the track "Look." I have to admit I wasn't crazy about Tundra or Blown Realms and Stalled Explosions compared to End Note and Output Negative Space, but The Rightful Pivot is a wonderful return to form. If you're a fan of noisy post-rock and restrained post-hardcore along the lines of Slint, you owe it to yourself to listen to Enablers.
Bandcamp

15 | Joanna Newsom | Divers
After her massive triple album Have One on Me, Joanna Newsom scales back to something a bit less huge and ambitious - at least by her standards, since Divers still clocks in at close to an hour and still features her excellent, meticulous arrangements and lyrics. Every track has a wonderful flow to it, rising and falling, reaching a beautiful crescendo, coming back down. If I had to find fault with Divers, I'd say Newsom doesn't really do anything particularly new here compared to her previous albums. Not to the extent that I would call it "more of the same," though even if it were I wouldn't have much of a problem with that. The shorter track lengths seem like a throwback to her style circa The Milk-Eyed Mender, but with the experience she's gained through Ys and HOoM. The bottom line is that Newsom has put out an album that holds up perfectly well even in the wake of her last two masterpieces, even if those albums overshadow this one a bit.
Sapokanikan

bjgmR2dm.jpg
k3MweOgm.jpg
fZSvbAom.jpg
StKPq5nm.jpg
S7f3viim.jpg

16 | Chelsea Wolfe | Abyss
Chelsea Wolfe's songwriting skills continue to improve, and her fifth album may be her best yet. Her trademark combination of doom metal, folk, and pop is still present, but it's presented in its most fully realized form. The range of dynamics on the album is insane, with Wolfe quietly murmuring into the microphone at one moment, then belting out her lyrics over sludgy guitars that threaten to drown her out the next. The album even features some electronic touches, such as a thoroughly unexpected dancy beat in the middle of "After the Fall" that works surprisingly well. Wolfe has been at the top of her game for several years now, and it seems like that top just keeps getting higher.
Bandcamp

17 | Grooms | Comb the Feelings Through Your Hair
I was only recently turned on to this band and they deserve a lot more attention than they get, considering they've been making awesome music for more than five years now. Their dreamy art punk approach isn't quite like anything else I've heard before. Comb the Feelings features tons of interesting ambient sounds, intricate guitar work full of fuzzy shimmering chords, captivating basslines, and fantastic drumming. "Bed Version" and the title track start the album off with a burst of energy, while tracks like "Cross Off" and "Half Cloud" are more laid back. The album takes on a different kind of energy with the driving motorik beat of "Doctor M." Comb the Feelings is an excellent addition to Grooms' already impressive body of work. If you're a fan of Radiohead, Clinic, or Suuns, I highly recommend it. At least, those are the closest comparisons I can come up with.
Bandcamp

18 | U.S. Girls | Half Free
The production on Half Free is much more polished than Meg Remy's previous work, but it retains her signature eerie, trippy style. It kicks off with "Sororal Feelings," which sounds like a 60s girl group song in terms of structure and vocals, but with strange distorted tones and depressing lyrics giving it a disconcerting feel. Remy also delves into other genres and gives them similar treatments, such as 80s ballads with "Navy & Cream," 50s songstress tunes with "Window Shades" and "Woman's Work," 80s pop with "New Age Thriller," and 70s/80s hard rock with "Sed Knife." These tracks are not solely influenced by one era or genre each, however; they often combine multiple genres and time periods into a strange mish-mash. Despite the variety of genres present on the album, the similar warping of their sounds allows them all to fit together very effectively. Half Free is a strange, dark album, despite its generally dancy and upbeat sounds; or perhaps it is the juxtaposition of those conventional elements with the darker, more experimental features that make it the unsettling but catchy listen that it is.
Sororal Feelings

19 | Jenny Hval | Apocalypse, girl
Hval tackles social, political, sexual, and religious issues in blunt fashion, both with spoken word and song, often with sexual metaphors that are even more direct than those on her previous album, Innocence Is Kinky. The crude language Hval uses frequently on this album might be off-putting to some, but I appreciate how it harkens back to various revolutionary 20th century writers - Ginsberg, Nin, Miller, Burroughs, etc. - artists who used obscenity in the pursuit of their art. The music provides a fitting accompaniment to Hval's vocals, sometimes taking on a more pop-oriented feel on tracks like "That Battle Is Over" but also veering more toward noise, field recordings, and sound collages to accompany spoken word sections. Definitely a worthy followup to Innocence Is Kinky, which is quite an accomplishment because I adore that album.
Bandcamp

20 | Whatever Brains | ____ LP
The final album by the difficult-to-classify Whatever Brains. It's full of noise and strange sounds that all somehow come together to form an impressive whole with a very weird punk aesthetic. It harkens back to the no wave scene in many ways, but there's too much going on at any given time for that to be a truly apt comparison. One could also draw comparisons to early industrial post-punk like This Heat or Chrome, but those don't entirely fit either. Regardless, it's an odd and thoroughly satisfying swan song for the band.
Bandcamp

jDzJZuVm.jpg
YIP5AyYm.jpg
QLlxkkwm.jpg
hIv1M7Vm.jpg
XgpgQT2m.jpg

21 | Sufjan Stevens | Carrie & Lowell
Sufjan Stevens seems to have reached the height of his bombast on Age of Adz, so Carrie and Lowell sees him returning to the style of his older material with a much calmer, more folk-oriented sound that still incorporates the experience he's gained through his more ambitious albums. It's a very somber album, but it feels removed from the subject, more like a reflection on the past than an examination of the present. This removes some of the immediate feeling from the music, but allows for more careful craftsmanship and polish that result in a subdued, accomplished, cohesive album that still provides an emotional punch in the gut.
Bandcamp

22 | Negative Scanner | Negative Scanner
A pure, driving post-punk album that's just as "punk" as it is "post." The guitars are jagged and dissonant, the riffs are intense, the drums are steady and heavy, Rebecca Valeriano-Flores's vocals are aggressive and sound a bit like Siouxsie Sioux at times but more untrained and sardonic. It's fierce, relentless, abrasive, moody, short and simple; it's 27 minutes of punk that's perfectly executed and infinitely relistenable.
Bandcamp

23 | Kamasi Washington | The Epic
A very long, very enjoyable jazz album with long-form tracks. It's a daunting listen at almost three hours, but it remains exciting and interesting throughout its formidable runtime. Tracks range from relatively slow, laid back affairs such as "Isabelle" and "Seven Prayers" to more frantic, drum-heavy tracks like "Miss Understanding" and "The Magnificent 7." Saxophones, trumpets, trombones, drums, bass, keyboards, a choir, occasional solo vocals, and more come together to form a product that's entirely worthy of its title - it really does feel like a journey.
Miss Understanding

24 | Susanne Sundfør | Ten Love Songs
The title makes it sound simple enough, but Ten Love Songs is actually a remarkably complex and varied pop album. The genres covered range from folk pop to dream pop to synth pop to baroque pop and even a bit of classical, all flowing together seamlessly, with synths effortlessly transitioning to organs and back, along with harpsichord, piano, and lush string arrangements. Sundfør's voice displays enough range to do all of these genres justice. The result is an ambitious album that packs a huge variety of styles into a mere 45 minutes and makes every minute of it satisfying.
Silencer

25 | Pinkshinyultrablast | Everything Else Matters
I've been eagerly awaiting PSUB's debut LP since their excellent EP Happy Songs for Happy Zombies, and it doesn't disappoint. It does mark a significant departure from the more straightforward shoegaze sounds of the EP, but I consider that a good thing. It contains plenty of the classic walls of scintillating guitar noise characteristic of the shoegaze genre, but it also incorporates some nice crunchy riffs along with some dancy beats and ethereal vocals and loops. Easily the best shoegaze album of the year, even if it doesn't fall entirely under the shoegaze umbrella - or perhaps because of that fact.
Bandcamp

Steamlord

26 | Alex G | Beach Music
27 | Jackson Scott | Sunshine Redux
28 | Parquet Courts | Monastic Living
29 | Oneohtrix Point Never | Garden of Delete
30 | Natalie Prass | Natalie Prass
31 | Bully | Feels Like
32 | Emancipator | Seven Seas
33 | tricot | A N D
34 | Lady Lamb | After
35 | Camera Shy | Camera Shy
36 | Grimes | Art Angels
37 | Ava Luna | Infinite House
38 | Torres | Sprinter
39 | Carly Rae Jepsen | E•MO•TION
40 | Young Fathers | White Men Are Black Men Too
41 | The Winter Passing | A Different Space of Mind
42 | Cities Aviv | Your Discretion Is Trust
43 | Swervedriver | I Wasn't Born to Lose You
44 | Girl Band | Holding Hands With Jamie
45 | New Order | Music Complete
46 | Machine Girl | Gemini
47 | toe | Hear You
48 | Laurel Halo | In Situ
49 | Metz | II
50 | Deradoorian | The Expanding Flower Planet
51 | Colleen Green | I Want to Grow Up
52 | Holly Herndon | Platform
53 | Milo | So the Flies Don't Come
54 | Blanck Mass | Dumb Flesh
55 | Flying Saucer Attack | Instrumentals 2015
56 | Destruction Unit | Negative Feedback Resistor
57 | Beach House | Thank Your Lucky Stars
58 | Ought | Sun Coming Down
59 | Speedy Ortiz | Foil Deer
60 | Sleater-Kinney | No Cities to Love
61 | Björk | Vulnicura
62 | Courtney Barnett | Sometimes I Sit and Think, and Sometimes I Just Sit
63 | Vince Staples | Summertime '06
64 | Lightning Bolt | Fantasy Empire
65 | Helen | The Original Faces
66 | Yo La Tengo | Stuff Like That There
67 | Screaming Females | Rose Mountain
68 | Gun Outfit | Dream All Over
69 | Laura Marling | Short Movie
70 | Waxahatchee | Ivy Tripp
71 | Wolf Alice | My Love Is Cool
72 | Death Grips | The Powers That B
73 | Built to Spill | Untethered Moon
74 | Protomartyr | The Agent Intellect
75 | Viet Cong | Viet Cong
76 | Wilco | Star Wars
77 | Menace Beach | Ratworld
78 | A Place to Bury Strangers | Transfixiation
79 | The Soft Moon | Deeper
80 | Echo Lake | Era
81 | Joanna Gruesome | Peanut Butter
82 | Deafheaven | New Bermuda
83 | Computer Magic | Davos
84 | Beach House | Depression Cherry
85 | Godspeed You! Black Emperor | Asunder, Sweet and Other Distress
86 | Purity Ring | Another Eternity
87 | Dan Deacon | Gliss Riffer
88 | Valet | Nature
89 | Arca | Mutant
90 | Tamaryn | Cranekiss
91 | Father John Misty | I Love You, Honeybear
92 | No Joy | More Faithful
93 | The Pop Group | Citizen Zombie
94 | Neon Indian | Vega Intl. Night School
95 | Tame Impala | Currents
96 | Nadine Shah | Fast Food
97 | Chastity Belt | Time to Go Home
98 | Alex Calder | Strange Dreams
99 | Lower Dens | Escape from Evil
100 | Deerhunter | Fading Frontier

JayTee71

Neo Member
|1| Our Own House - Misterwives
|2| If You're Reading This It's Too Late - Drake
|3| The Shape of Brat Pop to Come - Holychild
|4| Sorry - Meg Myers
|5| Pageant Material - Kacey Musgraves
|6| Carrie and Lowell - Sufjan Stevens
|7| To Pimp a Butterfly - Kendrick Lamar
|8| 25 - Adele
|9| M3LL1SSX - Fka Twigs
|10| The New Calassic - Cal Chuchesta
|11| Natalie Prass - Natalie Prass
|12| Know-It-All - Alessia Cara
|13| ALLA - Asap Rocky
|14| No Cities to Love - Sleater Kinney
|15| Girls in Peacetime want to Dance - Belle and Sebastien
|16| How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful - Florence and the Machine
|17| Art Angels - Grimes
|18| 12 Reasons to Die 2 - Ghostface and Adrien Younge
|19| Deep In the Iris - Braids
|20| After - Lady Lamb

Helmholtz

Top 3 are pretty solid, the rest were difficult to order.

1. Father John Misty - I Love You, Honeybear
2. Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly
3. Young Thug - Barter 6
4. Sufjan Stevens - Carrie & Lowell
5. Jamie XX - In Color
6. Drake - If You're Reading This It's Too Late
7. Panda Bear - Panda Bear Meets the Grim Reaper
8. Julia Holter - Have You in my Wilderness
9. Lil Ugly Mane - Oblivion Access
10. Freddie Gibbs - Shadow of a Doubt

11. Beach House - Thank Your Lucky Stars
12. Future - Dirty Sprite 2
13. Oneohtrix Point Never - Garden of Delete
14. Beach House - Depression Cherry
15. Jeremih - Late Nights
16. Drake & Future - What a Time to Be Alive
17. Protomartyr - The Agent Intellect
18. Joanna Newsom - Divers
19. Neon Indian - VEGA INTL. Night School
20. Archy Marshall - A New Place 2 Drown

Honorable mentions to Slime Season 1&2 - didn't want to have multiple Thugger projects

Servbot24

Banned
6426104840490_main.jpg

1. Body-San - Corporate Interiors
Bandcamp

51m1w0TqqmL._SY450_.jpg

2. Julia Holter - Have You in My Wilderness
Website

WDNT019-SIMBIOSI-PACKSHOT.jpg

3. Simbiosi - Elements
Bandcamp

6426104840630_main.jpg

4. Night Court - Law & Order
Spotify

original.jpg

5. Xth Réflexion - /\\05
Bandcamp

KrxJG0d.jpg

6. Suzanne Kraft - Talk from Home
7. Jaga Jazzist - Starfire
8. Sufjan Stevens - Carrie & Lowell
9. Carly Rae Jepsen - E•MO•TION
10. Joshua Abrams - Magnetoception

11. Marika Hackman - We Slept at Last
12. Alva Noto - Xerrox Vol 3
13. Grimes - Art Angels
14. Ahnnu - Perception
15. Laurel Halo - In Situ
16. Jlin - Dark Energy
17. Sean McCann - Ten Impressions for String and Piano
18. Regis - Manbait
19. Arca - Mutant
20. Joanna Newsom - Divers

21. Stara Rzeka - Zamknely Sie Oczy Ziemi
22. Malarai, Uchihashi, Maya R - Utsuroi
23. Dawn Richard - Blackheart
24. Panda Bear - Meets the Grim Reaper
25. Six Organs Of Admittance - Hexadic
26. Bell Witch - Four Phantoms
27. Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly
28. Susanne Sundfør - Ten Love Songs
29. Oneothrix Point Never - Garden of Delete
30. Oobe - Stealth

31. Colin Stetson & Sarah Neufeld - Never Were the Way She Was
32. Bjork - Vulnicura
33. Natalie Prass - Natalie Prass
34. Tigran Hamasyan - Mockroot
35. Meishi Smile - …Belong
36. Folamour - Chapeau Rouge
37. The Myrrors - Arena Negra
38. Jenny Hval - Apocalypse, Girl
39. Misþyrming - Söngvar elds og óreiðu
40. Vince Staples - Summertime 06

41. Mary Halvorson - Meltframe
42. Tove Styrke - Kiddo
43. Pinkshinyultrablast - Everything Else Matters
44. Tsuzing - A Name Out of Place
45. Holly Herndon - Platform
46. Horrendous - Anareta
47. Heather Woods Broderick - Glider
48. Rustie - Evenifyoudon’tbelieve
49. Kuedo - Assertion of a Surrounding Presence
50. Alameda 5 - Duch Tornada

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
1. Grimes - Art Angels

2. Brandon Flowers - The Desired Effect

3. Marina and the Diamonds - Froot

4. Lord Huron - Strange Trails

5. Beach House - Depression Cherry

6. Passion Pit - Kindred

7. Father John Misty - I Love You Honeybear

Dude who posted a list of 100 YouTube videos, thanks for ensuring that this page will crash 100% of the time on an iPad. You couldn't just post a text list?

Looks like 2015 is the year when people stopped listening to albums. Last year the deadline for voting had to be extended because of the participation. It's the year of the singles I guess.

Dude who posted a list of 100 YouTube videos, thanks for ensuring that this page will crash 100% of the time on an iPad. You couldn't just post a text list?

ProTIP:

Mobile NeoGAF Preferences: Embed Youtube: Off

Changed my whole iPad GAF experience. Now I can click music threads without crashing.

deli2000

1 | Kendrick Lamar | To Pimp A Butterfly
homepage_large.d47a5880.jpg

2 | Oneotrix Point Never | Garden Of Delete
homepage_large.753fb3c9.jpg

3 | Julia Holter | Have You In My Wilderness
homepage_large.8c307c2c.jpg

4 | Kamasi Washington | the Epic
homepage_large.0441ce5e.jpg

5 | Ka | Days With Dr Yen Lo
homepage_large.e9a51b53.jpg

6 | Ought | Sun Coming Down
homepage_large.2dff0bfc.jpg

7 | Archy Marshall | New Place 2 Drown
homepage_large.2da1063f.jpg

8 | Vince Staples | Summertime '06
homepage_large.97efc203.jpg

9 | Joanna Newsom | Divers
homepage_large.5649bf69.jpg

10 | Botany | Dimming Awe, The Light Is Raw
homepage_large.8c978e78.jpg

11 | Wilco | Star Wars
12 | Destroyer | Poison Season
13 | Four Tet | Morning/Evening
14 | Deerhunter | Fading Frontier
15 | Alabama Shakes | Sound & Colour

16 | Bjork | Vunicura
17 | Earl Sweatshirt | I Don't Like Shit, I Don't Go Outside
18 | Hop Along | Painted Shut
19 | Jamie xx | In Colour
20 | Natalie Prass | Natalie Prass

gappvembe

Wow, I feel old. Not because of my choices, but for one I only bought a few albums this year, and two there are only a couple of bands I even recognize on here (Nightwish and Blind Guardian) and I'm not even really into them.

1. Def Leppard - Def Leppard
2. The Darkness - Last Of Our Kind
3. Dracula - Swing Of Death
4. Momoiro Clover Z vs KISS - Samurai Son
5. Dela Deep - Delta Deep (Def Leppard's Phil Collen does Blues)
6. Tesla - Simplicity (Haven't even listened to this all the way)

Mikeside

01 | Delta Sleep | Twin Galaxies
artworks-000112296884-bv94ln-t500x500.jpg

This album is the shit. Accessible post-rock goodness from a band made up of the nicest guys you'll meet. Really interesting songwriting and lyrics too.

1. Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly
2. Father John Misty - I Love You Honeybear
3. Bjork - Vulnicura
4. Joanna Newsom - Divers
5. Tame Impala - Currents
6. Death Grips - The Powers That B
7. Jeff Rosenstock - We Cool?
8. Julia Holter - Have You In My Wilderness
9. Alabama Shakes - Sound & Color
10. Sophie - Product
11. The Mountain Goats - Beat The Champ
12. Jamie XX - In Colour
13. Grimes - Art Angels
14. Tennyson - Like What EP
15. Sufjan Stevens - Carrie and Lowell
16. Oneohtrix Point Never - Garden of Delete
17. Maxo - Chordslayer
18. FKA Twigs - M3LL155X
19. Courtney Barnett - Sometimes I Sit and Think
20. Susanne Sundfør - Ten love Songs

Floridian

Looks like 2015 is the year when people stopped listening to albums. Last year the deadline for voting had to be extended because of the participation. It's the year of the singles I guess.

ProTIP:

Mobile NeoGAF Preferences: Embed Youtube: Off

Changed my whole iPad GAF experience. Now I can click music threads without crashing.
Not sure why there aren't as many for 2015 but that'll be less work for me in tallying :p. I've been listening to new stuff over the winter break so my list still isn't finalized either.

10 days till the deadline though.

01| Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly
02| Stratovarius - Eternal
03| Death Grips - The Powers that B
04| Blind Guardian - Beyond the Red Mirror
05| GUNSHIP - Gunship
06| Electric Light Orchestra - Alone in the Universe
07| Madeon - Adventure
08| Gloryhammer - Space 1992: Rise of the Chaos Wizards
09| Battle Beast - Unholy Saviour
10| Steven Wilson - Hand. Cannot. Erase.

May juggle the ol' order a bit

I forgot the new Florence & the Machine album came out this year. For some reason I was remembering it as a 2014 album.

Definitely in my top 10. Got to see them at Coachella and again at the Hollywood Bowl, and both concerts were amazing.

01 | Jamie XX | In Colour
02 | CHVRCHES | Every Open Eye
03 | Grimes | Art Angels
04 | Drake, Future | What a Time to be Alive
05 | Ryan Adams | 1989
06 | Sufjan Stevens | Carrie and Lowell
07 | Purity Ring | Another Eternity
08 | Young Thug | Barter 6
09 | The Weeknd | Beauty Behind the Madness
10 | Tame Impala | Currents
11 | Carly Rae Jepsen | Emotion

I had no real attachment to any of the albums from 2015 I listened to but it was a very busy year (both in terms of music and my life). I might not even get to 10.

Fake Edit: After looking at all the 2015 albums I listened to, I really can't make a ranked list. Shout-outs to Currents, both Beach House albums, and Music Complete. Dodge and Burn & Star Wars were alright but nowhere near the best work of both those groups.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
It's hard for me to put numbers to them, as this can really change depending on the day, but here's what I've got:

01 | FKA twigs | M3LL155X
02 | Björk | Vulnicura
03 | Arca | Mutant
04 | Jamie xx | In Colour
05 | Amon Tobin | Dark Jovian
06 | Kamasi Washington | The Epic
07 | Oneohtrix Point Never | Garden of Delete
08 | The Chemical Brothers | Born in the Echoes
09 | Four Tet | Morning / Evening
10 | Floating Points | Elaenia

Whole bunch of other stuff I liked:
XX | Aphex Twin | Computer Controlled Acoustic Instruments pt2
XX | Aphex Twin | Marchromt30a Edit 2b 96
XX | Autre Ne Veut | Age of Transparency
XX | BT | Electronic Opus
XX | Disclosure | Caracal
XX | Grimes | Art Angels
XX | Kaleida | Think
XX | Kelela | Hallucinogen
XX | Kode9 | Nothing
XX | Made in Heights | Without My Enemy What Would I Do
XX | Nicolas Jaar | Nymphs I
XX | Nicolas Jaar | Nymphs II
XX | Nicolas Jaar | Nymphs III
XX | Nicolas Jaar | Nymphs IV
XX | Nicolas Jaar | Pomegranates
XX | Róisín Murphy | Hairless Toys
XX | Squarepusher | Damogen Furies
XX | Two Fingers | Six Rhythms
XX | WhoMadeWho | Ember

Extra special single release:
XX | Percussions | "Digital Arpeggios"

thabiz

It's hard for me to put numbers to them, as this can really change depending on the day, but here's what I've got:

01 | FKA twigs | M3LL155X
02 | Björk | Vulnicura
03 | Arca | Mutant
04 | Jamie xx | In Colour
05 | Amon Tobin | Dark Jovian
06 | Kamasi Washington | The Epic
07 | Oneohtrix Point Never | Garden of Delete
08 | The Chemical Brothers | Born in the Echoes
09 | Four Tet | Morning / Evening
10 | Floating Points | Elaenia

Whole bunch of other stuff I liked:
XX | Aphex Twin | Computer Controlled Acoustic Instruments pt2
XX | Aphex Twin | Marchromt30a Edit 2b 96
XX | Autre Ne Veut | Age of Transparency
XX | BT | Electronic Opus
XX | Disclosure | Caracal
XX | Grimes | Art Angels
XX | Kaleida | Think
XX | Kelela | Hallucinogen
XX | Kode9 | Nothing
XX | Made in Heights | Without My Enemy What Would I Do
XX | Nicolas Jaar | Nymphs I
XX | Nicolas Jaar | Nymphs II
XX | Nicolas Jaar | Nymphs III
XX | Nicolas Jaar | Nymphs IV
XX | Nicolas Jaar | Pomegranates
XX | Róisín Murphy | Hairless Toys
XX | Squarepusher | Damogen Furies
XX | Two Fingers | Six Rhythms
XX | WhoMadeWho | Ember

Extra special single release:
XX | Percussions | "Digital Arpeggios"

Did you check out the latest ekoplekz record? Seems like something you would really dig .

Can't believe I missed this thread! Last year's was awesome. Gonna have to work on my top 10 and post it tomorrow. 2015 was a great year for independent punk and metal. I just scoured this entire thread and only 2 albums that are gonna be on my list (Strung Out's Transmission.Alpha.Delta and Jeff Rosenstock's We Cool?) were mentioned so it should be interesting! I might have to put Kendrick on, we'll see.
Great thread though and some great recommendations for me to check out!

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Did you check out the latest ekoplekz record? Seems like something you would really dig .
I have not, I don't think I'm really aware of him. I'll look into him more, thanks!

01 | The Slow Show | White Water
02 | The Decemberists | What A Terrible World, What A Beautiful World
03 | Everything Everything | Get To Heaven
04 | Tame Impala | Currents
05 | The Waterboys | Modern Blues
06 | Leftfield | Alternative Light Source
07 | EL VY | Return To The Moon
08 | Belle and Sebastian | Girls In Peacetime Want To Dance
09 | Jamie xx | Colours
10 | Wolf Alice | My Love Is Cool

2015 ruled for music. This thread has helped me discover even more gems that undoubtedly would have made my list too if I had more time with them. There's a wealth of great recommendations in this thread that I encourage everyone to check out, and I humbly present my personal top 10 of the year. I only ramble and provide YouTube links for the top 5 since people would probably tune out afterwards anyway. Hope I can inspire you guys to check some of this out in the same way that this thread has shown me a ton of great new jams. Here's to an awesome 2016 for music!

1 | Strung Out | Transmission.Alpha.Delta
Cover_450_zpscee6ea59.jpg

Quite simply one of the best albums I've heard in the past 20 years. A genuine masterpiece that fuses all the best elements of punk, metal, pop and prog into a cohesive package that showcases some of the best instrumentation and songwriting that I've ever heard. It is so damn intense, catchy and powerful all at once. There is no reason why a band should be putting out their best album 25 years into their career but Strung Out has crafted a masterpiece that bands half their age couldn't pull off. Sadly it flew under the radar this year due to the band being completely independent, but despite this, the album somehow even managed to sneak on to the Billboard chart for a few weeks which is awesome. The song I posted below is the final song on the album and has the coolest intro I have ever heard as well as one of the most spine-chilling, powerful outros I've heard in quite some time. If you're gonna listen to one song on my humble yet hyperbolic list, make it this one.
Strung Out - Westcoasttrendkill

2 | Night Birds | Mutiny at Muscle Beach
16310.jpg

Some badass, seizure-causing hardcore punk that sounds straight out of the 80s, but with a nice little surf flair to it. Short, sweet, and addictive as hell. So fast and so aggressive yet so catchy. I've loved them since their debut a few years ago but this album is on another level.
Night Birds - Mutiny at Muscle Beach

3 | Jeff Rosenstock | We Cool?
cover.jpg

Some of the catchiest, most honest music out there. Jeff can do no wrong. Great indie rock/punk/pop/whatever music that will stick with you for days and has lyrics that are simultaneously hilarious and heartfelt. Jeff rules and this album rules.
Jeff Rosenstock - Nausea

4 | Joey Cape | Stitch Puppy
950_Cover_450.jpg

I genuinely believe that Joey Cape is the best acoustic artist on the planet right now, and this is the best acoustic album released in years. It's dark as hell (deals with the death of close friends, growing old and watching the world decay around you) but somehow upbeat at the same time. The Caper may be hitting 50, but he brings wisdom and songwriting sensibility to the table that most artists can't hold a candle to. Just a beautiful and personal album that really tugs at the heartstrings.
Joey Cape - St. Mary's

5 | Good Riddance | Peace in Our Time
eBL4lk5.jpg

This melodic hardcore band shaped me when I was growing up, and after a 10 year gap it's amazing to see them return in fine form sounding better than ever. No other band can follow up an intense hardcore blast on an album with a pop/punk anthem so effortlessly, with both being awesome. These songs are both angry yet catchy and feature the best politically-themed lyrics I've heard in years. This does NOT sound like a band that formed in the late 80s, it sounds like a band with a new fire lighting them.
Good Riddance - Disputatio

6 | Antarctigo Vespucci | Leavin' La Vida Loca
antarctigo-vespucci-leavin-la-vida-loca.jpg

7 | Atlas Losing Grip | Currents

Atlas-Losing-Grip-Currents-01-300x300.jpg

8 | PEARS | Go to Prison
5633740.jpg

9 | After the Fall | Dedication
After-the-Fall_Dedication-wpcf_300x300.jpg

10 | Kendrick Lamar | To Pimp a Butterfly
Kendrick-1-of-1-304x305.jpg

Ekai

1. The Mountain Goats | Beat The Champ: When I first discovered John Darnielle years ago he quickly became one of my favorite lyricists in music. To this day he is still far and away the strongest lyricist in music. And Beat The Champ is no exception to how strong of a writer he is. He's always got such true to heart ideas and concepts played with in his music. Class man. The songs are also a perfect blend of frantic, personal, calm, and gut-wrenching. The guy paints such a perfect picture every single time.

2. David Gilmour | Rattle That Lock: Have always loved this man's work. He's really hit his stride in his solo career too. It's easily the strongest outing he's had yet.

3. Susumu Hirasawa | The Man Climbing The Hologram: Susumu will always be in my heart in part because of the work he did with Satoshi Kon. His work outside of Kon's films/show is just as fantastic as the work with him. He will always be one of the best singular artists that exist. He can play such a fantastic blend of styles.

4. Miracles of Modern Science | Mean Dreams: Found them via a Mountain Goats tribute album and they're far and away one of the strongest most underrated bands out there. Orchestral rock I would always highly suggest checking out.

5. Laura Stevenson | Cocksure : Same as MIracles of Modern Science. I found her and her band The Cans from that tribute album. Since exploring her band's work and her solo work I've grown to love her quite a bit. She has one of the most haunting voices I've heard in any recent music.

6. Modest Mouse | Strangers To Ourselves: First album from these guys in a while. I was a bit leery at first but it really grew on me. Love it love it.

7 Wilco | Star Wars: Probably their strongest album for me since YHF.

8. Antarctigo Vespucci | Leavin’ La Vida Loca: Such a nice little superband with some very solid tunes. Glad to see Rosenstock working on something still after Bomb The Music Industry!

9. Apocalyptica | Shadowmaker: A drastic change for the band in terms of having a consistent singer. It was a bet and it paid off for them in my view. Some solid blend of their fantastic music and the new vocalist.

10. Muse | Drones: Like Strangers to Ourselves, it had to grow on me. But I liked it in the end.

HiResDes

01| Chelsea Wolfe | Abyss
02| Torres | Sprinter
03| Sufjan Stevens | Carrie & Lowell
04| Jessica Pratt | On Your Own Love Again
05| Julia Holter | Have You in My Wilderness
06| Natalie Prass | Natalie Prass
07| All Dogs | Kicking Every Day
08| Black Wing | ...Is Doomed
09| Blanck Mass | Dumb Flesh
10| Circuit des Yeux | In Plain Speech
11| Tamaryn | Cranekiss
12| Oneohtrix Point Never | Garden of Delete
13| Colin Stetson and Sarah Neufeld | Never Were the Way She Was
14| The Sweet Boys | Foible Pangs
15| Destruction Unit | Negative Feedback Resistor
16| Archy Marshall | A New Place to Drown
17| Soft Kill | Heresy
18| Protomartyr | The Agent Intellect
19| Annabel Lee | By the sea...and other solitary places
20| Alabama Shakes | Sound & Color
21| Yowler | The Offer
22| Jenny Hval | Apocalypse,girl
23| Gun Outfit | Dream All Over
24| Sean Nicholas Savage | Other Death
25| Stara Rzeka | Zamknęły się oczy ziemi
26| Clarence Clarity | No Now
27| Girlpool | Before the World was Big
28| Pinkshinyultrablast | Everything Else Matters
29| Julien Baker | Sprained Ankle
30| Car Seat Headrest | Teens of Style

...And before anyone asks I impose a rule for myself where I leave out a certain genre in order to free up space and showcase some of my other tastes

omgkitty

01|
...And before anyone asks I impose a rule for myself where I leave out a certain genre in order to free up space and showcase some of my other tastes

Would love to see your full list if you have one. I'm going to assume you left off rap / hip-hop?

Shaffield

I'm surprised this album isn't getting more love, especially with all the shoegazers on GAF.

its way more dream-pop than shoegaze, especially compared to their last album. and personally I thought Depression Cherry was a better dream-pop record. i'm more surprised at the lack of attention for the new A Sunny Day in Glasgow "double EP", considering how widely recieved their album was last year, but it was self-released so I guess there was less exposure

HiResDes

its way more dream-pop than shoegaze, especially compared to their last album, and personally I thought Depression Cherry was a better dream-pop record

Yeah I don't understand how Beach House gets away with being so stagnant.

Would love to see your full list if you have one. I'm going to assume you left off rap / hip-hop?

Yeah, I just have one on like some scrap paper in my desk at home, could probably post a jpeg of it or something

Shaffield

Yeah I don't understand how Beach House gets away with being so stagnant.

the songwriting and production wins me over. I didn't really care for Thank Your Lucky Stars, and DC was their weakest album since Devotion, but they still hit those emotional highs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom